Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I RESIDE IN a subdivision near Grovetown. With all the barking dogs my neighbors have, I feel more like I'm living in a dog kennel.

I WOULD LIKE to know who gives completely insane idiots the power to keep changing our time and keeping our lives turned upside down. The moon, the stars and the sun can't change. So why keep changing the hands on the clock? We should all throw out our smart clocks and buy a cock-a-doodle-do.

CAN'T WE GIVE Marion Williams and Andy Cheek a buyout like Charles Larke? Now that would be a good waste of money.

I DON'T BELIEVE the teachers were cheating when they folded their cards. Every time I enter any drawing, I always crinkle my paper to make mine stand out just a little bit.

PEOPLE AS A WHOLE need to understand that everybody that works at the Richmond County Board of Education are taxpayers, too. I think that they are doing a great job for the kids. What people in Richmond County need to understand is that we are not baby sitters for their children but giving customer service.

I'M A RESIDENT OF Harlem, Ga., and I want to know why the post office does not have a drive-through drop-off? For someone handicapped like me, it would be nice to get one in Harlem.

THIS IS A RANT about those free hockey-puck sized mint thingies they put in the urinals at all the restaurants and bars around here. They never taste as good as they smell and the blue ones stain your mouth and fingers.

A BIG RAVE to Davidson Fine Arts School students and faculty for their first-rate, high-flying performance of Peter Pan. You added to the magic of springtime and eased the pain of a difficult week.

WHY CAN'T THE RAILROAD or DOT repair the crossing on Highway 56 near the Burke County line? It is so rough the road is littered with bark from logging trucks, causing a real hazard to everyone.

YOU ASK ABOUT A GOOD, solid reason about alcohol not being sold on Sunday. It causes people to have wrecks, lose function of themselves and it causes families to break up. Not to mention it allows people to go into other addictions. It's just wrong. Sunday is God's day, and if you don't understand that, then you have a problem.

MORE THAN $200,000 for taxpayers to pay for one railroad flagman in Columbia County? I'm in the wrong business.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the community of Blythe young people for their help in the Great American Cleanup.

I HAPPEN TO BE an Augusta native of 36 years. I have a rant regarding downtown. The trees are in the way. You can't see the buildings. There is so much history here that's being camouflaged. I'm not familiar with the certain trees that are growing. Are they anticipating them to grow higher than the buildings?

COLUMBIA COUNTY IS supposed to be perfect, but the adults in charge just decided they can't handle preschool?

KROGER WOULD BE a lot classier if their employees wore black or blue pants instead of the stupid red shirts and tan pants.

TO THE SLOWPOKE that says she obeys the laws and is tired of people riding behind her. Well, if they are on your bumper I bet there is one law you don't obey - the law that says the left lane is for passing.

SEN. JOHNNY ISAKSON IS trying to get a VA hospital name changed to honor Congressman Charlie Norwood. One, why change the name at all? And two, why do things always get named for politicians? Is Isakson just trying to keep this awful tradition going so that some day he'll get a log cabin named for himself?

THANKS TO THE PERSON who stole my grandson's bicycle over the weekend out of his yard. You disappointed an 11-year-old little boy who had been riding that bike everyday.

shepster
shepster 04/26/07 - 12:13 pm
poor poor pam.., she's been

poor poor pam.., she's been done wrong. It's the gas company's fault too. Why doesn't your husband move closer to work? Why doesn't he get a job closer to HOME? These are all variables that YOU control, Pam! Oh, and I have it GREAT. That's why I work two jobs. But I'm not compaining. I'm thankful to HAVE those jobs. Your problem is you like to blame others for your lack of resources. Get off your BUTT and DO SOMETHING about it besides cry. You've made your choices, now LIVE WITH THEM or CHANGE them. Everyone has to pay the same price for gas as YOU. SOUR GRAPES, Pam. Get ANOTHER JOB.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:17 pm
I was without elecricty for a

I was without elecricty for a week during the ice storm, and it sucked pretty bad. But at least I know I can survive it. The energy companies know that they darn near have you by the short hairs because people are SO accustomed to a certian way of life, but the power really is ours if we are willing to change.

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/26/07 - 12:19 pm
Anyone ever think that with

Anyone ever think that with the higher prices at the pump, the more in sales tax you pay. Doesn’t seem like an incentive to me for anyone to ensure prices aren't higher than they have to be. I understand the idea of supply and demand, and as shepster so unkindly stated, it's my choice to drive to work everyday, instead of riding a bike along Hereford Farm Road and becoming a road pancake, not going to work and getting fired, or getting a ride with someone else to work who can't afford higher gas prices either. My point is that everyone is crying out to a government to protect them from price gouging that is financially benefiting from the higher prices. Here’s food for though, you pay sales tax on every gallon of gas you buy after it has federal and state excise taxes included. Meaning when you pay a 7 percent sales tax on a gallon of gas that cost $2.87 about $.47 of that is excise tax. Can we punish the government for windfall profits?

rjay
rjay 04/26/07 - 12:21 pm
loranna,just wear a blue top

loranna,just wear a blue top ! god

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 12:24 pm
Shep I'm not crying and I

Shep I'm not crying and I have it damn good Just voicing my opinion Whats so wrong with that and If you would take the time to read above you would see why I dont move closer to my husband's work and I also admitted that kpc and them were right it's just something I have gotten accustumded to and The type of job my husband does there's very few companies for him to go to so we live in the most affordable place we can...and I know every has to pay the same damn gas prices and alot of people complain about them too so take your sour grapes and stick them.......

shepster
shepster 04/26/07 - 12:27 pm
GAS is a publicly traded

GAS is a publicly traded commodity. If you PUNISH the GOVT.., you have to PUNISH the people too, rt. Come on,man.., get real. "Price gouging that is benefitting from higher prices"? HUH? What in the WORLD does that mean? Look, you have a CHOICE. That is the beauty of this country. We are free to choose the way we live. If you want to DRIVE because your home (that YOU CHOSE) is too far or isn't serviced by busses or WHATER.., then that is YOUR CHOICE. COME ON! Take at least SOME responsibility for your LIFE!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:27 pm
How about we all just calm

How about we all just calm down?

ImSoConfusedinGA
ImSoConfusedinGA 04/26/07 - 12:28 pm
I guess a retiree 80 and 90

I guess a retiree 80 and 90 yrs barely making it before the gas price increase, should get a second job, also.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 12:32 pm
I do take resposibilty for

I do take resposibilty for every choice I make but ain't I entitled to voice my opinion about it (just as you voice your opinion) with out getting so nastily ridiculed for it. I have every right to complain about whatever I so choose whether you like it or not GAS PRICES SUCK

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 04/26/07 - 12:34 pm
you go pam, gas prices suck

you go pam, gas prices suck big time!

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 12:34 pm
Sorry KPC but I'm a hot

Sorry KPC but I'm a hot blooded redhead and some things just really get me going especially when I'm complaining about the same things 95% of the population is complaining about and people have to get nasty

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:35 pm
Not to sound cynical, but a

Not to sound cynical, but a retiree who is barely making it has poorly planned for retirement.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:37 pm
Not arguing with you....(and

Not arguing with you....(and who would with a redhead)....they swung at you first.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 04/26/07 - 12:38 pm
YES go tell your grandmother

YES go tell your grandmother to get a second job.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 12:39 pm
hahaha now that just made my

hahaha now that just made my day .....yeah my husband walks lightly...jk

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 12:46 pm
gas prices majorly

gas prices majorly suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 12:48 pm
Pam- I read your first post

Pam- I read your first post to popkorn and I fell out of my chair laughing. Ya'll crack me up and pass the day.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 12:53 pm
thanks d he makes me sooo

thanks d he makes me sooo mad but it's all in good fun...but boy he can get me boiling with his self proclaimed child rearing It makes my day go by with a smile......

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 01:00 pm
If the oil companies tick you

If the oil companies tick you off, this should really get you going. “The other day the oil companies reported the highest profits in the history of the world. I want to take those profits and I want to put them into a strategic energy fund that will begin to fund alternative smart energy alternatives and technologies that will begin to actually move us toward the direction of independence…” -Senator Hillary Clinton ----Who is she to "take" their profits. Imagine if you reported the highest profits you ever had, and she wanted to "take" your profits. This is the kind of socialist thing you can count on every day if she gets elected.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 01:09 pm
Well I'm not a Hilirary Fan

Well I'm not a Hilirary Fan either and Mcain looks like he's packing nuts for winter Not one of them so far has struck me that they are going to get us in any better position than we are in right now...KPC who strikes your fancy?

Painter
Painter 04/26/07 - 01:09 pm
Pam Hubert 1,Heaven and hell

Pam Hubert 1,Heaven and hell are actual places. Heaven is where people who live by faith in Jesus will live forever in God's presence. Hell is the place where people who rebell against God and never turn back to Him through faith in Jesus will live in torment for eternity. Is God speaking to you? Why not turn to Him today?

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:13 pm
Socialism sucks! Take

Socialism sucks! Take responsibility for yourself and tell your grandma to get a job greeting me at Walmart.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 01:17 pm
Mike Huckaby doesn't sound

Mike Huckaby doesn't sound too bad from what I've read and heard. Big problem is that "President Huckaby" sounds more like a punchline than a President.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 01:17 pm
like i said "one week i'm in

like i said "one week i'm in heaven" and ' one week i'm in hell" don't get me wrong I totally beleive in God but I pray at home >>>I believe theres to much money in religion today ooo The haters are gonna get me now... but have you seen the size of these churches today.. why not send all that money to the red cross or better yet Louisianna DO NOT send it abroad though but the next time a church wants to build some outragous meeting hall etc....think about the people in true need and no SHEP that doesn't include me hahaha

alethia
alethia 04/26/07 - 01:20 pm
This is a RANT about The

This is a RANT about The story in today's paper regarding the TODDLER that was killed by the school bus. Everything that the superintendent said is a LIE or he certainly hasn't a clue of reality.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:21 pm
Painter, is anyone who

Painter, is anyone who believes otherwise wrong?
Have you been to Hell? Have you been to heaven?

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:21 pm
Torment for eternity?

Torment for eternity? Sometimes I wish that Dante never wrote the Divine Comedy. Hell is a place without God. That's all. Ask any Jew. We have this notion that hell is this place of eternal torture, when the only thing in the Bible that describes hell is the "lake of fire" which may not even be hell, it could just be a lake of fire. Painter if you keep damning people and using bad karma you're going to come back as a dung beetle, if you don't start following the teaching of the Buddhas and you will never reach enlightenment. See doesn't feel so nice now does it?

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:24 pm
If hell is Deleware I've been

If hell is Deleware I've been there.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:24 pm
Good point weekapaug.

Good point weekapaug.

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 01:27 pm
The Bible is far more

The Bible is far more explicit in the description of hell.