Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I RESIDE IN a subdivision near Grovetown. With all the barking dogs my neighbors have, I feel more like I'm living in a dog kennel.

I WOULD LIKE to know who gives completely insane idiots the power to keep changing our time and keeping our lives turned upside down. The moon, the stars and the sun can't change. So why keep changing the hands on the clock? We should all throw out our smart clocks and buy a cock-a-doodle-do.

CAN'T WE GIVE Marion Williams and Andy Cheek a buyout like Charles Larke? Now that would be a good waste of money.

I DON'T BELIEVE the teachers were cheating when they folded their cards. Every time I enter any drawing, I always crinkle my paper to make mine stand out just a little bit.

PEOPLE AS A WHOLE need to understand that everybody that works at the Richmond County Board of Education are taxpayers, too. I think that they are doing a great job for the kids. What people in Richmond County need to understand is that we are not baby sitters for their children but giving customer service.

I'M A RESIDENT OF Harlem, Ga., and I want to know why the post office does not have a drive-through drop-off? For someone handicapped like me, it would be nice to get one in Harlem.

THIS IS A RANT about those free hockey-puck sized mint thingies they put in the urinals at all the restaurants and bars around here. They never taste as good as they smell and the blue ones stain your mouth and fingers.

A BIG RAVE to Davidson Fine Arts School students and faculty for their first-rate, high-flying performance of Peter Pan. You added to the magic of springtime and eased the pain of a difficult week.

WHY CAN'T THE RAILROAD or DOT repair the crossing on Highway 56 near the Burke County line? It is so rough the road is littered with bark from logging trucks, causing a real hazard to everyone.

YOU ASK ABOUT A GOOD, solid reason about alcohol not being sold on Sunday. It causes people to have wrecks, lose function of themselves and it causes families to break up. Not to mention it allows people to go into other addictions. It's just wrong. Sunday is God's day, and if you don't understand that, then you have a problem.

MORE THAN $200,000 for taxpayers to pay for one railroad flagman in Columbia County? I'm in the wrong business.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the community of Blythe young people for their help in the Great American Cleanup.

I HAPPEN TO BE an Augusta native of 36 years. I have a rant regarding downtown. The trees are in the way. You can't see the buildings. There is so much history here that's being camouflaged. I'm not familiar with the certain trees that are growing. Are they anticipating them to grow higher than the buildings?

COLUMBIA COUNTY IS supposed to be perfect, but the adults in charge just decided they can't handle preschool?

KROGER WOULD BE a lot classier if their employees wore black or blue pants instead of the stupid red shirts and tan pants.

TO THE SLOWPOKE that says she obeys the laws and is tired of people riding behind her. Well, if they are on your bumper I bet there is one law you don't obey - the law that says the left lane is for passing.

SEN. JOHNNY ISAKSON IS trying to get a VA hospital name changed to honor Congressman Charlie Norwood. One, why change the name at all? And two, why do things always get named for politicians? Is Isakson just trying to keep this awful tradition going so that some day he'll get a log cabin named for himself?

THANKS TO THE PERSON who stole my grandson's bicycle over the weekend out of his yard. You disappointed an 11-year-old little boy who had been riding that bike everyday.

charles yonce
charles yonce 04/26/07 - 11:00 am
rt1523c go back to your

rt1523c go back to your therapist immediately and demand a full refund! i will then give you a free trip to the bermuda triangle where you will hopefully disa ppear like everyone else.grits what in the hell do you need from lowes,walmart and the rest before 1:30 on a sunday, are we selling shoddy homemade dog houses,and rabbit cages on the sabbath?pammy i copied your heaven and hell poem and posted in on the fridge everytime i think i need something to eat i will read it,shake my head and walk away .hallmark has nothing to worry about.now go get a dictionary it's spelled succumb!

loranna
loranna 04/26/07 - 11:02 am
the dictionary i just looked

the dictionary i just looked at says a cult is a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader

skip2malew
skip2malew 04/26/07 - 11:03 am
He had to change water to

He had to change water to wine with no sunday alcohol sales.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 11:04 am
aahhh Goodmorning to you

aahhh Goodmorning to you Popkorn , I was wondering when you would crawl out of that out house you were under jk..and thank you for your little comment it was sweet!! Why your at it send one to the kids you don't have but think you know how to raise...

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 11:04 am
loranna, the problem is that

loranna, the problem is that a lot of people do push thier beliefs on others. Why should I adhear to a Baptist belief if I'm not Baptist? If Baptist aren't supposed to drink on Sunday then show some self restraint and don't buy alcohol on Sunday, there's no reason that the govt. should step in and make law governing the sale of alcohol for all the weak willed alcoholic baptists. It's like if I was Hindu and my Hindu friends and I got the govt. to make law prohibiting the sale of beef.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 04/26/07 - 11:06 am
RANTNG OVER TODAYS

RANTNG OVER TODAYS HEADLINES-Exxon Mobil Corp., the world's largest publicly traded oil company, said Thursday its net income grew 10 percent in the first quarter. Last year, Exxon posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company -- $39.5 billion. That result topped the previous record, also by ExxonMobil, of $36.13 billion set in 2005. When if ever will the American People demand the President/King address the Highway Robbery of the American People. Enough is Enough!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 11:14 am
As far as the guys post that

As far as the guys post that got this whole debate restarted today, he wrote: "It causes people to have wrecks, lose function of themselves and it causes families to break up". He should have wrote "it causes SOME people", and "SOME families". Why should I suffer because some people can't control themselves. I'm really just sick of this big govt. that feels like it has to babysit everyone because a few people out there suck at life.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 11:16 am
While I don't like paying for

While I don't like paying for gas any more than anyone else, what has Exxon done that is so bad. They are providing a valuable service, and for that you think they shouldn't make a profit? If you adjust profits for inflation, any successful company SHOULD make higher and higher profits each year.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 11:18 am
SELLING alcohol has never

SELLING alcohol has never caused any of the things the writer stated....on any day of the week.

loranna
loranna 04/26/07 - 11:18 am
week...I agree that the govt

week...I agree that the govt shouldn't have a say in this, especially since I think it is based on religious beliefs. Just another case of some people trying to force others to live by their beliefs. I personally don't have a problem not buying alcohol on Sunday, but I wouldn't care if it was allowed.

shepster
shepster 04/26/07 - 11:18 am
Hey "OPINION". Why are you

Hey "OPINION". Why are you PAYING it? You don't like gas prices, DON'T DRIVE, you idiot! The TRUTH is, you don't want people making money. Rich people are EVIL, aren't they? Here's an idea; you can make up for the price of gas by, guess what, INVESTING in petroleum! Ta-Da! What do you THINK drives the price of oil, tennis shoes, or I-Pods? DEMAND, that's what! But you're not crying about $150 Tennis shoes for some reason.., after all, they make a bunch of money too. Freedom of speech is great, especially when I get to read UNEDUCATED opinions like yours. Do you KNOW how many PENSION PLANS in this country (do you have a 401K?) have invested in petroleum? Those profits mean WEALTH for investors, & not JUST the folks who live in the hamptons.., it means better retirement $ for anyone with a retirement plan. WISE UP, Pumkin-HEAD!

loranna
loranna 04/26/07 - 11:21 am
It isn't fair to assume that

It isn't fair to assume that all drinkers wreak havoc in their lives & other lives too. I drink but I have a babysitter, a driver & I pay my bills.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 11:24 am
Simple supply and demand

Simple supply and demand MYOPINION. I think that everyone needs to take an economics course. If you don't want to pay high prices for gas, stop consuming so much. If the demand falls, supply goes up, prices go down. You know why they sell it for that much, because people are willing to pay that much. Sure I hate rising gas prices but I'm willing to pay them to get me around. This is America, a capitalist nation. If you want the govt. to regulate your life for you move to a more socialist nation or better yet to a communist one and see how that works out for you.

nol.23
nol.23 04/26/07 - 11:31 am
preach on

preach on rt1523c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/26/07 - 11:32 am
POKORN, thank you for your

POKORN, thank you for your stellar and intelligent posting. We all appreciate your valuable input! If it weren’t for people like you, others would think that the CSRA was full of intelligent, respectable people, and we can’t have that! We have enough trouble with population growth as it is.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 04/26/07 - 11:32 am
I AM driving MUCH less

I AM driving MUCH less (probable 1/2 as much as before the prices went up), and no their not evil...GREEDY is the word I was thinking. According to MY driving it should be going down.

nol.23
nol.23 04/26/07 - 11:32 am
preach on

preach on rt1523c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

loranna
loranna 04/26/07 - 11:33 am
As much as I like reading &

As much as I like reading & occassionally chatting with you guys, I have to go for now. Hope all of you have a great day!

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 11:38 am
Week it's not that we are

Week it's not that we are willing to pay the prices WE HAVE TOO..Just like the price of electricity constantly going up We have no choice but to pay it and the govt knows it Unless you want to walk everywhere you go which is ridiculous or live like little house on the praire YOU HAVE to pay the prices to live It's not a matter of choice but need

nol.23
nol.23 04/26/07 - 11:41 am
What is funny is these people

What is funny is these people saying Sunday is God's day. Now how many of you people complaining go to church on wednesday, or choir practice on tuesday ,ETC.!!!!!!!!! So just because people go to church on every other day of the week, should we not drink those days too? Well let me tell you something, i am 23 years old, a female, and work 2 jobs. so if i want a beer on any given day after working 14 hours, all i have to say is bottoms up! And if I didn't make it to the store on Saturday night by 11:45, then I gladly take my happy [filtered word] to Aiken and stock up there! Just because you don't share the same tastes as other people, don't criticize. cause everyone has their on things to do to wind down, chill out, or just relax.

shepster
shepster 04/26/07 - 11:42 am
You HAVE to pay it, Pam?

You HAVE to pay it, Pam? COME ON! Did someone hi-jack you in your car & MAKE YOU DRIVE to the gas station? Did someone TAKE the money out of your wallet? I think not. I'll say it again. You don't like it, DON'T PAY IT! Ride a bike, hitch a ride, ride the bus, take a cab, WALK.., Many options here, Pam. Take one. You don't HAVE to PAY. You are CHOOSING to pay because you WANT to drive your OWN car. Well, there is a PRICE for driving your own car, JUST LIKE there is for riding in a cab or taking a BUS. But you WANT to DRIVE. Good, that is your choice. So pay it & SHUT UP.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 11:49 am
No Pam you don't have to. You

No Pam you don't have to. You can walk, you can ride a bike, you can take public transit, you can buy a vehicle that gets more miles per gallon (a hybrid or something else), or you can sit at home an not go anywhere. No one is forcing you to own a car or forcing you to purchase gas. People got along fine with out them prior to the 1900's. These are not things that you need these are things that you have become accustomed to and want. That's the problem in America is that many don't know the difference between our needs and our wants, or what are our rights and what are priviledges.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 11:50 am
Well SHEP my husband has a 45

Well SHEP my husband has a 45 minute drive to work Is he supposed to drive a bike take a cab and there are no buses here Now he does carpool but come on what your saying is just ridiculous That may be okay in your situation you may be able to take those other ways of transportation but I guess some people just don't have it as good as you so YES we do have to pay them

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 11:53 am
Well Week thats prior to the

Well Week thats prior to the 1900's I believe we'd get arrested these days if we drove a horse and buggy to augusta

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 11:54 am
Well Pam you could live

Well Pam you could live closer to where your husband works, did the govt. force you to buy the house that you live in? I doubt it.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 11:56 am
And what about the price of

And what about the price of electricity I guess we should do without that too The goverment knows that we are in situations these days that we have to pay...regardless of the reasons why

djm
djm 04/26/07 - 11:58 am
Those wishing for everyone

Those wishing for everyone else to not be able to buy all types on alcohol on Sunday are worried about their own temptation.
Private businesses should be able to open on Sunday if they want and close any other day they choose.
Why am I going to hell...because I stated that enforcing your beliefs on others is also rude and inconsiderate?

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 12:00 pm
No but the goverment raises

No but the goverment raises the taxes and crap in cities where people just can't afford to live ...My husband works in Columbia County (govt) and the taves are so high there people can barely afford them with the prices of gas and electricity etc...We live in Lincolnton because of the lower tax rate and because its a better place to raise our children

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 12:06 pm
There are many ways to

There are many ways to generate electricity off of the grid. If you step back and think, you should see that what you are considering needs are things that you have, over generations, become accustomed to. This does not make it a requirement. I enjoy the convienience of electricity sent straight to my house, but if it went away, I would find a new way to live at my present standard of living, or I would grow accustomed to a different standard of living. My choice to live the distance I do from work was based on my willingness to pay what it takes to get to work. If I wasn't willing to pay that, I would have moved closer. I'm sorry Pam, but today I have to disagree with you.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 12:12 pm
That's cool KPC and i get

That's cool KPC and i get what yall are saying. Today i have been enlightened Maybe we should all have our elecrticity shut off and go on strike and nobody buy anymore gas You think the goverment would care Hell no they would just find another way to stick it to us...But kpc you are right and i admit It is what i have become accumstomed to but damn could you imagine our kids not having these things....I'd want to crawl under a rock hahaha