Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I RESIDE IN a subdivision near Grovetown. With all the barking dogs my neighbors have, I feel more like I'm living in a dog kennel.

I WOULD LIKE to know who gives completely insane idiots the power to keep changing our time and keeping our lives turned upside down. The moon, the stars and the sun can't change. So why keep changing the hands on the clock? We should all throw out our smart clocks and buy a cock-a-doodle-do.

CAN'T WE GIVE Marion Williams and Andy Cheek a buyout like Charles Larke? Now that would be a good waste of money.

I DON'T BELIEVE the teachers were cheating when they folded their cards. Every time I enter any drawing, I always crinkle my paper to make mine stand out just a little bit.

PEOPLE AS A WHOLE need to understand that everybody that works at the Richmond County Board of Education are taxpayers, too. I think that they are doing a great job for the kids. What people in Richmond County need to understand is that we are not baby sitters for their children but giving customer service.

I'M A RESIDENT OF Harlem, Ga., and I want to know why the post office does not have a drive-through drop-off? For someone handicapped like me, it would be nice to get one in Harlem.

THIS IS A RANT about those free hockey-puck sized mint thingies they put in the urinals at all the restaurants and bars around here. They never taste as good as they smell and the blue ones stain your mouth and fingers.

A BIG RAVE to Davidson Fine Arts School students and faculty for their first-rate, high-flying performance of Peter Pan. You added to the magic of springtime and eased the pain of a difficult week.

WHY CAN'T THE RAILROAD or DOT repair the crossing on Highway 56 near the Burke County line? It is so rough the road is littered with bark from logging trucks, causing a real hazard to everyone.

YOU ASK ABOUT A GOOD, solid reason about alcohol not being sold on Sunday. It causes people to have wrecks, lose function of themselves and it causes families to break up. Not to mention it allows people to go into other addictions. It's just wrong. Sunday is God's day, and if you don't understand that, then you have a problem.

MORE THAN $200,000 for taxpayers to pay for one railroad flagman in Columbia County? I'm in the wrong business.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the community of Blythe young people for their help in the Great American Cleanup.

I HAPPEN TO BE an Augusta native of 36 years. I have a rant regarding downtown. The trees are in the way. You can't see the buildings. There is so much history here that's being camouflaged. I'm not familiar with the certain trees that are growing. Are they anticipating them to grow higher than the buildings?

COLUMBIA COUNTY IS supposed to be perfect, but the adults in charge just decided they can't handle preschool?

KROGER WOULD BE a lot classier if their employees wore black or blue pants instead of the stupid red shirts and tan pants.

TO THE SLOWPOKE that says she obeys the laws and is tired of people riding behind her. Well, if they are on your bumper I bet there is one law you don't obey - the law that says the left lane is for passing.

SEN. JOHNNY ISAKSON IS trying to get a VA hospital name changed to honor Congressman Charlie Norwood. One, why change the name at all? And two, why do things always get named for politicians? Is Isakson just trying to keep this awful tradition going so that some day he'll get a log cabin named for himself?

THANKS TO THE PERSON who stole my grandson's bicycle over the weekend out of his yard. You disappointed an 11-year-old little boy who had been riding that bike everyday.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 08:42 am
Do as you wish. Just dont

Do as you wish. Just dont legislate my beliefs.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 08:43 am
I believe that hot lil place

I believe that hot lil place is called augusta....

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 08:44 am
Is that brimstone I smell???

Is that brimstone I smell???

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 08:46 am
But honestly you guys seem

But honestly you guys seem more reasonable about your beliefs than some. Any thought on the wackos that protest soldiers funerals in Kansas, that God hates F... group?

liloleme
liloleme 04/26/07 - 08:47 am
I didn't say it was an

I didn't say it was an insult--just that it was rude--to make fun of another persons beliefs--just because they aren't your own.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 08:49 am
If it was rude, I apologize.

If it was rude, I apologize. It is still not as invasive as legislation due to those beliefs.

Lucy123
Lucy123 04/26/07 - 08:59 am
I am a Christian. I also

I am a Christian. I also drink. I am not in favor of Sunday alcohol sales, nor are any of the liquor store owners I have talked to. They need a day off too. If I want to drink on Sunday, I plan ahead and make my purchase on Friday or Saturday. It's really not that hard.

loranna
loranna 04/26/07 - 09:03 am
Everyone does have their

Everyone does have their right to opinion & should respect those of others. But I agree with liloleme, to say that what someone else believes is a fairytale doesn't show respect at all. Also, stating that you live by reality not in the mythology of christianity is unfair. Again, believe what you want, express your opinions but try not to be disrespectful. As for the sale of liquor on Sunday, like others have said, stock up on Saturday & you won't have to worry about it....Just my opinion.

Nextelcup
Nextelcup 04/26/07 - 09:03 am
Lets be real about this ,

Lets be real about this , we've probed to the center of the earth and guess what no hell, we've explored the skies beyond the new moon pluto and it is freezing cold out there and guess what no pearly gates. I guess you've got to have a fastpass ticket you buy from the churches with the location of heaven and hell.

myobgdi
myobgdi 04/26/07 - 09:08 am
To the ranter who is

To the ranter who is concerned what Kroger workers wear. Unfortunately for you, Krogers does not sell lives, because you need to get one, BADLY!

G.R.I.T.S
G.R.I.T.S 04/26/07 - 09:09 am
Well, you guys in Augusta are

Well, you guys in Augusta are complaining about alcohol sales on Sunday, at least you can shop before 1:30 PM! Try living in SC where the "BLUE" laws are just stupid! I go to church early, get out early, but can't buy anything at WalMart, Lowes, or Home Depot until 1:30. I can go to Kroger (who, lets face it, sales a lot more than groceries) and I can go to any drug store, (same as Kroger), but heaven forbid if I need something from the hardware store. I also remember a time when everything closed at noon on Wednesdays (some banks still do). Let's face it, we don't work 9-5, Monday to Friday like our parents and grandparents did. Sometimes the ONLY time we have to shop is on Sunday. Therefore, I go to Augusta to shop.

garydman
garydman 04/26/07 - 09:11 am
Fire the editor that allowed

Fire the editor that allowed the "toilet mint" rant. Everyone knows that it's only blacks who eat those things. So I submit that it is a racist rant and the person should be fired.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 09:13 am
i thinkl heaven and hell is

i thinkl heaven and hell is just a state of being at the time. There is really no such thing....one week I feel like I'm in hell then another week I feel like I'm in heaven I think it was just made up along time ago to scare people that did not want to succumb to others beliefs just as today...

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 09:14 am
Garyman TALK about a racist

Garyman TALK about a racist rant oooo the haters gonna be on you

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 09:24 am
It isnt that hard to buy

It isnt that hard to buy alcohol on saturday. It's the principle of the matter though. In California, I could walk 200 yards to the convenience store, and buy liquor or beer at 9am sunday morning if I wanted to. Just wishing I never took orders here...

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 09:26 am
Can anyone be positive that

Can anyone be positive that God wanted Sunday to be his day. Maybe he prefers Wednesday afternoon through early Thursday. And I'd like to take this opportunity to say hail Oden! May Huginn and Munin bring you good news of my deeds. P.S. Tell Thor I said hello

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 09:28 am
Also people talk about the

Also people talk about the store owners enjoying the Sundays off ... well did they realize that they own the liquor store and could still be closed on Sunday if they want. I just want to be able to buy beer and wine at the grocery store or at the gas station. I don't think that there should be a law forcing liquor store owners to be open on Sunday, I just think it'd be nice if they had the option.

rjay
rjay 04/26/07 - 09:34 am
those mint things are not

those mint things are not eating, you put them under your arm to keep u fresh allday

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 09:37 am
SC's blue laws are even more

SC's blue laws are even more rediculous than you pointed out G.R.I.T.S., I can go to a convenience store at 10am in Aiken County and buy beer on Sunday morning, but I can't go to a book store and buy a Bible. I can go to Wal-mart in the morning on Sunday and buy a new prop for my boat, but I can't buy a shirt. Then to top it all off, if the county collects over $900,000 in accomodation tax, they can buy their way out of the blue laws all together. There is no rhyme or reason to any of it. and for noctur, I agree that it is certianly wrong to try to legislate your religious beliefs onto others, but it is also wrong to belittle the religious beliefs of others.

loranna
loranna 04/26/07 - 09:37 am
rjay...works great to keep

rjay...works great to keep you fresh but what about the blue stains it leaves?

opinions
opinions 04/26/07 - 09:37 am
looking into whether the

looking into whether the teacher injured one of the them when breaking up the fight. What is this? I am amazed every day at what we can possibly be charged with. Is there no end to all this. You try and help someone and then you are questioned about how you might have done it, or if you might have caused some kind of injury in stopping it. One time I heard that you could be charged if you didn't stop and help someone and kept on going. I see it as you are doomed anyway you go. All I can do any more is just shake my head and be more confused than I was in the beginning. God help us all.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 09:42 am
I grew up Methodist and at no

I grew up Methodist and at no time during my upbringing in the Church was I ever told that drinking or buying alcohol on Sundays was morally wrong, or that I would wrong Jesus, God or the Holy Ghost in any way. My question is what Christian denominations are the ones saying that Sunday you shouldn't buy alcohol (I'm going to guess Southern Baptists)? I know it's not the Catholics or the Episcopalians. And where did this notion come from? Personal interpretation of the word? Some self righteous Puritan perhaps?

momma mia
momma mia 04/26/07 - 09:51 am
kpc, what SC Wal Mart are

kpc, what SC Wal Mart are you shopping in that you can buy a boat prop on Sunday morning? It must not be the one in North Augusta, because I've tried to buy things there on Sunday mornings other than groceries. They refused to sell anything except groceries and medicines.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 09:51 am
The Gregorian Calender that

The Gregorian Calender that we use is not nearly as old as the planet, so how are we to know which day of the week is the 7th day anyway?

lucky99mp
lucky99mp 04/26/07 - 09:53 am
...and Jesus changed water to

...and Jesus changed water to WINE...?!?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 09:53 am
Aiken Wal-Mart sells all the

Aiken Wal-Mart sells all the things that are allowed per the blue laws, which includes boating supplies. The only exception, is that they no longer sell beer on Sunday.

loranna
loranna 04/26/07 - 09:56 am
I grew up in a baptist church

I grew up in a baptist church & was taught that drinking is a sin. Now, I believe that the sin is when you have too much & get that "buzz" which means you are not 100% in control. Also, for those who abuse alcohol & have health problems because of it, you are hurting God's "temple" because, according to the bible, your body is God's temple. Don't get me wrong, I do drink & party. I do sin according to my own beliefs but I would never push those beliefs on anywone else.

Nextelcup
Nextelcup 04/26/07 - 09:58 am
a group of people who share

a group of people who share religious or spiritual beliefs, that is the definition for the word cult.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 09:58 am
What...Really the only thing

What...Really the only thing you can buy at yall's walmart on Sunday is groceries and medicine? Why??? We can buy everthing at our walmarts on Sunday.. well accept alchohol hmmm never heard of such Wwhy would they make it where you can't buy clothes and such

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 09:58 am
A lot of states just limit

A lot of states just limit buying alcohol before 8 AM or 12 PM on Sundays, why can't we do that? I'm willing to comprimise, lets just make it illegal until noon. Besides that's when everyone is out of church and drinking at Rhineharts oyster bar anyway.

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.