Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I RESIDE IN a subdivision near Grovetown. With all the barking dogs my neighbors have, I feel more like I'm living in a dog kennel.

I WOULD LIKE to know who gives completely insane idiots the power to keep changing our time and keeping our lives turned upside down. The moon, the stars and the sun can't change. So why keep changing the hands on the clock? We should all throw out our smart clocks and buy a cock-a-doodle-do.

CAN'T WE GIVE Marion Williams and Andy Cheek a buyout like Charles Larke? Now that would be a good waste of money.

I DON'T BELIEVE the teachers were cheating when they folded their cards. Every time I enter any drawing, I always crinkle my paper to make mine stand out just a little bit.

PEOPLE AS A WHOLE need to understand that everybody that works at the Richmond County Board of Education are taxpayers, too. I think that they are doing a great job for the kids. What people in Richmond County need to understand is that we are not baby sitters for their children but giving customer service.

I'M A RESIDENT OF Harlem, Ga., and I want to know why the post office does not have a drive-through drop-off? For someone handicapped like me, it would be nice to get one in Harlem.

THIS IS A RANT about those free hockey-puck sized mint thingies they put in the urinals at all the restaurants and bars around here. They never taste as good as they smell and the blue ones stain your mouth and fingers.

A BIG RAVE to Davidson Fine Arts School students and faculty for their first-rate, high-flying performance of Peter Pan. You added to the magic of springtime and eased the pain of a difficult week.

WHY CAN'T THE RAILROAD or DOT repair the crossing on Highway 56 near the Burke County line? It is so rough the road is littered with bark from logging trucks, causing a real hazard to everyone.

YOU ASK ABOUT A GOOD, solid reason about alcohol not being sold on Sunday. It causes people to have wrecks, lose function of themselves and it causes families to break up. Not to mention it allows people to go into other addictions. It's just wrong. Sunday is God's day, and if you don't understand that, then you have a problem.

MORE THAN $200,000 for taxpayers to pay for one railroad flagman in Columbia County? I'm in the wrong business.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the community of Blythe young people for their help in the Great American Cleanup.

I HAPPEN TO BE an Augusta native of 36 years. I have a rant regarding downtown. The trees are in the way. You can't see the buildings. There is so much history here that's being camouflaged. I'm not familiar with the certain trees that are growing. Are they anticipating them to grow higher than the buildings?

COLUMBIA COUNTY IS supposed to be perfect, but the adults in charge just decided they can't handle preschool?

KROGER WOULD BE a lot classier if their employees wore black or blue pants instead of the stupid red shirts and tan pants.

TO THE SLOWPOKE that says she obeys the laws and is tired of people riding behind her. Well, if they are on your bumper I bet there is one law you don't obey - the law that says the left lane is for passing.

SEN. JOHNNY ISAKSON IS trying to get a VA hospital name changed to honor Congressman Charlie Norwood. One, why change the name at all? And two, why do things always get named for politicians? Is Isakson just trying to keep this awful tradition going so that some day he'll get a log cabin named for himself?

THANKS TO THE PERSON who stole my grandson's bicycle over the weekend out of his yard. You disappointed an 11-year-old little boy who had been riding that bike everyday.

SoWhat
SoWhat 04/26/07 - 04:29 am
free hockey-puck sized mint

free hockey-puck sized mint thingies they put in the urinals at all the restaurants and bars around here????????

Reality
Reality 04/26/07 - 04:32 am
The teacher that broke up the

The teacher that broke up the fight at Hepzibah Middle School will probably get in trouble for trying to help. Unless it was a serious injury to the kids, I doubt it was intentional, they were fighting......Parents and kids need to grow up and stop blaming everyone for their own stupidity...

pops1
pops1 04/26/07 - 05:29 am
there was alot of hate and

there was alot of hate and racism in the past on different races, creeds and religions. today it seems, the black and white race can only agree to pass judgement , hate, discrimation, and now treat the spanish the way the blacks were treated...also the indians still don't get their fair share. so the only thing some races have in common is to find another race or creed or religion to hate and judge and treat bad and will then unite. isn't that a shame? it will never end we need to stop the race issues and discrimination against all people and if there is something we don't like or somenoe we don't like, try to understand why? and either change our own feelings or keep quiet

pkxfchb
pkxfchb 04/26/07 - 05:33 am
free hockey-puck sized mint

The Chronical thinks it's cute.....I think it's tastless

CSRAider
CSRAider 04/26/07 - 05:40 am
Hey ! the mint thingy people

Hey ! the mint thingy people throughout the world take offense to the fact you think its tastless. They taste good try one, used preferably, makes it tangy

peonynut
peonynut 04/26/07 - 06:12 am
The school acts as parent

The school acts as parent during school hours. It is called in loco parentis. May not have spelled it correctly but there it is.
Dogs barking? Call animal control.
Liquor sales on Sunday? What's the difference, just stock up on Saturday night then you can have wrecks or whatever earlier. How stupid to assume that having sales on Sunday will make a difference.

deekster
deekster 04/26/07 - 06:42 am
$200,000 for a railroad

$200,000 for a railroad flagman? I smell gifts arriving at CC commisioner's homes at Christmas time. Or maybe they will be invited to the "hunting lodge" owner by the railroad and used for entertaining their "customers" (-:

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 06:46 am
You had a good set of reasons

You had a good set of reasons for not selling alcohol on sunday, until you got to the whole gods day thing. For those of us who dont believe in your fairytale, please let us excercise our rights to buy at home. Thankfully I have access to the base where our federal government has sway, and those of us who chose to live by reality, not the mythology of christianity, can still do as we chose. Please understand, that these laws are NO different than the taliban and their religious laws.

i know
i know 04/26/07 - 06:59 am
The flagman cost is an hourly

The flagman cost is an hourly cost for the length of the project. The flagman will not be there for the entire project. The big number is an estimate for budget planning. the actual cost will not be that high. Also, the cost covers more than the flagman. It covers plan review, administration, vehicles, supervision, and a flagman. Do research before you say things you have no clue about. That includes the reporters that write these stories.

mommie2
mommie2 04/26/07 - 07:19 am
The urinal rant sounds like a

The urinal rant sounds like a rtc comment!

liloleme
liloleme 04/26/07 - 07:21 am
Religion is one of those

Religion is one of those subjects---when its fine to state your own beliefs---without putting another down---To tell someone that their faith in Christianity and in God--is a myth--is just plain rude.

djm
djm 04/26/07 - 07:28 am
To tell people they can't buy

To tell people they can't buy something on a certain day because of a specific religion is RUDE and inconsiderate.

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 07:33 am
djm..........It's gonna be

djm..........It's gonna be hot where you're headed. I hear the supply is pretty much depleted. Better drink up now.

liloleme
liloleme 04/26/07 - 07:33 am
Simply stating their opinion.

Simply stating their opinion. Doesn't change the sales one way or the other.

liloleme
liloleme 04/26/07 - 07:34 am
lol

lol

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/26/07 - 07:36 am
"THIS IS A RANT about those

"THIS IS A RANT about those free hockey-puck sized mint thingies they put in the urinals at all the restaurants and bars around here. They never taste as good as they smell and the blue ones stain your mouth and fingers" - OK I enjoy funny, but at least be original. I saw a comedian use this in his bit on Comedy Central. Be funny, but be original. Ripping others off shows a lack of creativity.

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/26/07 - 07:37 am
tjohns, that wasn't me,

tjohns, that wasn't me, although I agree that it sounded like something I would send in.

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 07:40 am
rt.......I was sure it was

rt.......I was sure it was you. Exactly your kind of humor.

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/26/07 - 07:46 am
I think we should ban the

I think we should ban the sales of Cell Phones on Sunday as well. They have been blamed for accidents, people lose control of their functions by instictively answering it no matter where they are, they have been known to break up when family members are tying to talk leading to communication problems, and they have been used to help people cooridnate drug purchases to feed their addictions. They are just wrong! Sunday is God's day and we should be talking to Him only, not buying cell phones so that we can talk to our friends during church. If you don't understand that, you have got a problem!

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 04/26/07 - 07:53 am
NEWS ALERT - dthompson is now

NEWS ALERT - dthompson is now god and therefore can judge others and condemn them to he11

reruns
reruns 04/26/07 - 07:54 am
Love IT - RT1523c

Love IT - RT1523c

shygirlj
shygirlj 04/26/07 - 08:00 am
the comment about alcohol

the comment about alcohol sales was great if you want to ban them altogether -- they do absolutely nothing to support selling it 6 other days and not on Sunday. the reasoning is absurd. are we then to believe that it's only a problem to sin on Sunday? every other day is fair game? ridiculous. if you believe alcohol should be legal, it should be legal, period. not on certain days. if you don't believe alcohol should be legal, it should be illegal all the time -- not just Sunday. every argument i've seen in support of the Sunday law has been irrational, and paints the supporter as quite ignorant. If you don't have a better reason, don't get defensive, analyze your stance. It may well be possible that you're actually wrong.

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 08:01 am
ozlbkilo..I am not judging

ozlbkilo..I am not judging anyone. I never said he was going to hell........funny you drew that conclusion. You know happens when you assume. Maybe djm will share a bottle of water with you.

PAW
PAW 04/26/07 - 08:02 am
Who the heck does Fred

Who the heck does Fred Russell think he is ?

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 04/26/07 - 08:26 am
djm..I wouldn't be too

djm..I wouldn't be too concerned about your destination to that hot place. With judgemental people like dthompson around, you will have plenty of folks keeping you company. Heck, I'll even bring a keg to the party.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 08:32 am
How is calling it mythology

How is calling it mythology an insult? People call the tale of hercules a myth, but samson is truth? The tales of Homer are all myths, but a book that was written by several hundred people , edited for content that suited those who were in power's needs and translated through several different languages over the years is indesputable truth? I would have to say that the wholesale destruction of any kind of individual, original thought such as the church has perpetrated against mankind, not to mention the bloodshed committed in the name of god is far worse than any offense anyone may have taken from my earliers statements.

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 08:34 am
People get all upset when you

People get all upset when you state your own opinion. You have the right to your opinion and I have mine. You don't have to like it- I certainly don't agree with yours.

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 08:39 am
I will retract my statement

I will retract my statement and ask forgiveness, as a Christian should do. I will pray for non-believers and ask God for mercy on them.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 08:40 am
My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts exactly.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 08:41 am
Tell em dina...they want to

Tell em dina...they want to make their opinion but condemn you for making yours when they don't agree with it dj and anamuse just need to take their bought on Sunday keg and go right on to that little hot place and take popkorn with them hahaha

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.