Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT TO COMMISSIONERS: You will find the money for yet another study for a downtown stadium, yet there is no money for the parity of employees' retirement. Where will you find the money to pay for security for the stadium when all the deputies walk out? Keep your eyes open - it's going to happen. The employees are sick and tired of your lying, double-talking, childish ways. I have never seen the morale as low as it is now, as no one wants to work for idiots such as yourselves.

IN RESPONSE TO the person ranting about small dogs in cars: Please, hang up your cell phone and drive.

IT'S SAD THAT the Augusta-Richmond County Commission members cannot and will not get past the race issues to move Augusta forward. Any improvement for Augusta will profit all of Augusta. My hat is off to Deke for his excellent demeanor and guidance.

I SEE THE MAIL CARRIERS are going to be collecting canned food again to feed the hungry. Please tell me where these people are. I see obese adults and children everywhere I go. I have never seen anyone begging for food. I don't think anyone who is able to work but won't should be rewarded with free anything. Homeless people need to be fed, but not on a permanent basis. They need a different kind of help. Don't keep helping the people who will not help themselves. Where is their incentive to change?

THIRTY APPLIED FOR Charles Larke's job as Richmond School Superintendent. Guess why? They all want to be millionaires as fast as Dr. Larke.

If you have an opinion you want to share, you may call the Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/18/07 - 04:08 am
Statisticly 1% of auto

Statisticly 1% of auto accidents are casued by using cell phones. Also 1% of auto accidents are caused by pets running free in the car. Something to think about.

asoldier
asoldier 04/18/07 - 04:19 am
“But by the grace of God go

“But by the grace of God go I.” I pray the person who was ranting about feeding the hungry never has to walk a mile in the hungry/homeless man's shoes. For the rest of use I know we will give with a cheerful heart and be thankful that we and our children have a “little something extra” to give.

bubba01
bubba01 04/18/07 - 05:21 am
I don't think anyone minds

I don't think anyone minds feeding the hungry or helping the homeless, but some people just want to live off the system and never hit a lick at anything. That's what I have a problem with. I work everyday and so should they. But they don't want this job or that job, they think they are to good to that. Well believe me if the government would stop all the give away programs they would have to go to work. I say help but make them get a job and not feed them for life.

CSRAider
CSRAider 04/18/07 - 05:39 am
The day has begun so I triple

The day has begun so I triple dog dare all of you to do 1 nice thing today!!!!

PAW
PAW 04/18/07 - 06:41 am
If you are over the age of

If you are over the age of 70..YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING!!!!!!!

PAW
PAW 04/18/07 - 06:46 am
This protest march is an

This protest march is an outrage......Austin Rhodes made a comment that was used in the right context and he did not single out any race.....I feel this is a personal vendetta that Charles"CHUMP"Walker has against Austin and he is trying to cause a race riot.......Good folks I say let's protest Champ Walker.....I can't say Ryan B because he has been silent at this protest.....I haven't seen him

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/18/07 - 06:46 am
Before you criticize someone

Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way you are a mile away and you've got his shoes!

PAW
PAW 04/18/07 - 06:50 am
Good one KPC.......Try this

Good one KPC.......Try this one on for size...........Don't blow dry your hair in the shower

WWII vet
WWII vet 04/18/07 - 06:50 am
Just wait till you are 70 -

Just wait till you are 70 - see if you still fell a person 70 & older should not drive!

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 04/18/07 - 06:56 am
Most homeless people are that

Most homeless people are that way because of mental illness or drugs, and they do need a different kind of help. But the person who is homeless has a harder time getting a job. They don't have a phone number to give, or an address. So how do they go about fixing that problem, while living on the streets. And I think the welfare system needs to be altered to help those in need.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/18/07 - 06:58 am
Would anyone be opposed to

Would anyone be opposed to retaking the written and driving test on a periodic basis? Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe that would cut down on the people who "think" they know the rules of the road.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/18/07 - 07:14 am
Has anyone noticed how the

Has anyone noticed how the killer at VT is always being referred to as a “gunman”? Why is that? When a murder uses a knife they never call him a knifeman. If he uses a baseball bat they certainly never call him a batman. I think it’s the media’s either conscious or sub-conscious attempt to shift responsibility from the murderer to the gun, which they hate so.

mommie2
mommie2 04/18/07 - 07:16 am
I think that once you hit a

I think that once you hit a certain age, you should be required to take the driving test again. Alot of accidents are caused because when people get older they lose a certain amount of reaction time. It's just safety precautions.

sarah
sarah 04/18/07 - 07:19 am
Did you know, that if a

Did you know, that if a person is unable to read, when taking the test for a drivers license, the examiners have to read the questions to them? How safe are they on the roads if they are unable to read the signs. Makes a lot of sense!

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 04/18/07 - 07:46 am
If people over the age of

If people over the age of seventy shouldn't be driving, and,"statistically 1% auto accidents are caused by using cell phones, also 1% of auto accidents are caused by pets running free in the car" (sic), then the other 98% must be caused by the "me first" mentality I see exhibited daily. Once again a driver pulled from a side street on to the main road directly in front of me from the Goshen entrance and there were no other vehicles behind me. The New Mexico tagged truck must have been in an awful hurry to get to the grocery store because he waved, but not with all five fingers, at the intersection of Hwy 56 as we waited for the light. I responded with an "up yours" and left him at the intersection when I got a turn arrow, him being no further ahead for going straight. Don't get me started on entrance and exit ramps on the interstate and by-passes that are ill planned. There are quite a few drivers there that must have gotten their drivers licenses in a Happy Meal, too.

letsee
letsee 04/18/07 - 07:50 am
who has the right-away coming

who has the right-away coming off a ramp into traffic. Aren't the people coming off the ramp suppose to yield to oncoming traffic.

mommie2
mommie2 04/18/07 - 07:56 am
I think they should have

I think they should have seperate on and off ramps. It causes way too much problems. The DOT people need to get some sense.

LEO
LEO 04/18/07 - 07:58 am
Everyone knows that Champ

Everyone knows that Champ Walker is only doing this for publicity. Why now??? Austin Rhodes has said a lot of things in the past that they could have protested about, but didn't. This is just another attempt at race-baiting that is typical of Champ Walker. He saw all the stink raised over Don Imus with his comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team and he wants to exploit that. Unfortunately, our illustrious local media will give him a forum. Too bad for him that the tragedy in Virginia has stolen his thunder. It's pathetic. Austin, don't apologize for a thing!

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/18/07 - 08:02 am
Not a rant or a rave, just a

Not a rant or a rave, just a question... If you drank something and it tasted like pee, how would you know?

garydman
garydman 04/18/07 - 08:03 am
FACT: Your primary purpose

FACT: Your primary purpose for being in the left seat of an automobile is: TO DRIVE THE CAR!!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/18/07 - 08:09 am
rt1523c, well smell plays

rt1523c, well smell plays heavily into your sence of taste. Ever notice when you have a cold or a stuffy nose that everything taste the same or might taste different than it normally would. So my theory is that if you know what pee smells like and you drank something and it tasted like pee you'd know. Or maybe you could ask an experianced urine consumer to describe the taste to you and if you're experiancing that then you would know.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/18/07 - 08:10 am
fact: the secondary purpose

fact: the secondary purpose of being in the left seat of an automoblie is: to listen to music as loud as possible so that everywhere you go people will know that you rock!!!

djm
djm 04/18/07 - 08:19 am
Why do three cars feel they

Why do three cars feel they can turn left after the light has turned red?
Only the one car that is allowed over the white line is allowed to turn left after the light turns red.
Why are people who seem so nice and considerate in every other aspect of life, extremely inconsiderate and rude when driving?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/18/07 - 08:28 am
If my car feels like it wants

If my car feels like it wants to turn after the light turns red, who am I to argue?

dthompson
dthompson 04/18/07 - 08:33 am
rt1523c...............LMAO,

rt1523c...............LMAO, as usual.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/18/07 - 08:34 am
Ever wonder why they picked

Ever wonder why they picked Red Yellow & Green for traffic lights? I would think that they'd be red yellow and blue, you know to stick to the primary colors, plus it'd be more helpful to folks that are red green color blind.

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/18/07 - 08:34 am
thanks dthompson... :)

thanks dthompson... :)

localman
localman 04/18/07 - 08:44 am
I am trying to sort this out.

I am trying to sort this out. Did Cho catch his girlfriend and clark in sleeping together? Is that why clark was in her dorm room at 7:30 in the morning?

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/18/07 - 08:45 am
Food for thought: Gun

Food for thought: Gun control only applies to law abiding citizens.

jstm
jstm 04/18/07 - 08:47 am
My child came home from

My child came home from school yesterday and told me that they had arrested a student at Evans for having a gun in their car while it was parked on campus. I wonder why nobody ever tells the parents when something like this happens???

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.