Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Across the area

Correction, April, 18, 2007: An announcement in Tuesday's Metro section about a teen volunteer program at Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics should not have been published. The program, which will run from June 11 to July 20, is full.
The Augusta Chronicle regrets the error.(Highlight changes)

Police to pace stretch of I-20

The eastbound lane of Interstate 20 will be paced from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, according to a Georgia Department of Transportation news release.

The pacing will allow crews to install the bridge beams for the Walton Way Extension overpass, the release said. The pacing will begin after mile marker 190, near the Grovetown exit.

Law enforcement vehicles will be at the on ramps of exits 194, 196 and 198 to prevent traffic from entering the eastbound lanes of I-20.

The pacing then will switch to the westbound lanes of traffic between the same hours for April 23-24. Vehicles will be at exit 200 and 199 to prevent traffic from entering the westbound side of the interstate. The ramps will be reopened once the pacing vehicle passes, the release said.

Robber told woman he was husband's friend

An Augusta woman was robbed in her home on the 2000 block of Warren Street early Monday morning by a man who she said was a friend of her husband, a Richmond County sheriff's report said.

The victim said a man she knew only as "Corey" came to the house at about 3:15 p.m. and she let him in, the report said. She said she went to the rest room, and when she returned the man pointed a knife at her and stole a bow valued at $500, a cellular phone and a kitchen knife. He then fled the scene on foot.

Man's wallet stolen in downtown robbery

A 44-year-old man said he was held down and robbed at the 1100 block of Greene Street on Sunday night, a Richmond County sheriff's report said.

The victim said the two men approached him from behind, grabbed him, then held him on the ground and took his wallet, according to the report.

The men then ran away and were last seen heading toward 11th Street.

Energy Department to hold public hearing

The U.S. Department of Energy will hold a public hearing tonight about the plutonium disposal environmental impact study for the Savannah River Site in Aiken.

The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. at Newberry Hall on Newberry Street in Aiken. Energy Department officials will be present to answer questions about the study.

Police seek suspect in man's shooting

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help in locating and identifying a man who is believed to have shot a North Augusta man early Sunday.

At 12:48 a.m., deputies were called to a residence in the 500 block of Amos Court in North Augusta and found a man lying on the living room floor, dead from a single gunshot wound to the head.

In the initial investigation, witnesses stated the shooter and victim were seen arguing.

Investigators are looking for a Hispanic man, about 5 feet 10 inches tall, and weighing about 220 to 230 pounds.

An hour before the killing, surveillance photos show him walking into a Circle K in the 600 block of Jefferson Davis Highway in North Augusta, wearing a cowboy hat, plaid shirt, blue jeans and white rattlesnake boots.

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office is asking that anyone with any information about the identity and whereabouts of this individual please call Investigator Tim Abbott at (800) 922-9709 or call Crimestoppers of the Midlands at (888) 559-TIPS. Callers will remain anonymous and will be eligible for a cash reward of between $50 and $1,000.

MCG program wants teen volunteers

The Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics is accepting applications for this year's summer teen volunteer program, which provides high school students with a hands-on volunteer experience in health care.

The program will be offered June 12 through July 21. To be eligible, teens must be 15 years old by May 1. The application deadline is April 30.

To request an application, call (706) 721-3596.

Widow sues driver, restaurant in death

The widow of a man killed by a drunken driver has filed suit against the driver and an Augusta restaurant.

Meera Sinha filed the Richmond County Superior Court lawsuit against Richard K. Post and Ruby Tuesday. The case was made public Monday.

Mr. Post struck Harendra Sinha, 63, on Aug. 29, 2005, in the Springlakes subdivision. His body was lodged in the windshield of Mr. Post's car for about a mile.

Mr. Post pleaded guilty and received a 25-year prison sentence last summer. Mr. Post, who registered a .124 blood alcohol level, was allegedly drinking at Ruby Tuesday before the wreck, according to the lawsuit. A lawsuit represents only one side of a dispute.

Sixth lawsuit filed against host, station

A sixth slander lawsuit has been filed against an Aiken radio station and its talk radio host.

The latest Richmond County Superior Court lawsuit made public Monday was filed by the Rev. Bobby G. Hankerson, a former Richmond County commissioner.

The Rev. Hankerson filed suit against Brian L. "Ryan B" Doyle and Rejoice, alleging Mr. Doyle made repeated false and slanderous statements about him.

The lawsuit alleges Mr. Doyle even accused the Rev. Hankerson of taking a $3 million payoff from former Mayor Bob Young.

Five other public and other prominent Augusta residents also have filed suit against Mr. Doyle and the radio station. A lawsuit represents only one side of a dispute.

Bill would give circuit judges $10,000 raise

Judges for the Augusta Judicial Circuit could be getting a pay raise under a bill now headed to the governor for his approval.

The House on Monday gave final legislative approval to Senate Bill 209, which would give each of the circuit's eight Superior Court judges a $10,000 salary increase.

The extra money would come from Columbia County's supplement to the judges, who also handle cases for Richmond and Burke counties. Each county in the circuit contributes to the judges' salary on top of state money.

Rep. Barry Fleming, R-Harlem, said Columbia County commissioners asked lawmakers to make the salary change.

- From staff reports

sarah
sarah 04/17/07 - 02:14 pm
no wonder. I would love to do

no wonder. I would love to do a Rorschach on you, or an MMPI or a PAI. Then you did some of the same things, if you served in the wars, that you are stating police do? Does the truth hurt or hit close to home? or both?

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 02:35 pm
Like I said, you are the

Like I said, you are the problem. Police departments have a secret adjenda, directed by the federal government, to charge any and everybody they can with a crime. The aim: to make felons out of the majority of Americans so they will lose their right to bear arms, thus making any form of revolt infeasible. Our government has learned it's own lesson, after all, our country was started by angry men with guns who were fed up with an oppressive government intent on controlling every facet of our lives.

woeisyou
woeisyou 04/17/07 - 02:36 pm
i asgree with garydman

i asgree with garydman speaking of bad cops (firemen ,paramedics )there are a few in grovetown,i was arrested for refusing medical assistance ,charged w/obstucting justice the officer fireman n paramedic all f**kin lied i was charged with 2 misdemeanors n a felony,which were later dropped,but not after my 30 some day stay in jail cause they lied,did you hear about the fireman that almost ran a guy over(with a firetruck) that was running from them??what a joke

sarah
sarah 04/17/07 - 02:39 pm
garydman, being in the

garydman, being in the military messed up your sense of thinking. I feel sorry for you. You probably think everyone is out to get you and have dozens of guns to "protect" yourself.

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 02:57 pm
I don't have to call the

I don't have to call the cops. I have a right to protect and defend what's mine from all enemies, foreign and domestic. I can take care of myself. And my thinking is fine. I'm just not one of those brainwashed, scared of everything, whiny fools that you are so used to instilling fear in. Sorry. But there is still a bright spot for all you tyrants out there, they still let you into schools to brainwash third graders with your fearmongering and propaganda. You may still have a chance to convince them the world needs you. LOL

sarah
sarah 04/17/07 - 03:01 pm
Well, we do know we don't

Well, we do know we don't need your warped kind of thinking instilled in our children. I also can take care of myself and do. I am no longer in law enforcement but I never installed fear in anyone, we calmed their fears. Sorry garydman, this will be my last reply to you. I don't feel like spending any more time with a person with only black and white thinking. Have a wonderful day!!

klsm
klsm 04/17/07 - 03:46 pm
Although so many of you

Although so many of you always have your opinions, I "do" happen to be married to an officer of the law. I cannot remember he or I getting any free food in the 16 years of our marriage. And when my husband started with APD he was paid $14,000.00 a year to protect people who basically spit in his face. I do not remember getting any assistance when I decided to go to college, we had two children, and my husband made $14,000.00 BUT we made too much money for me to get financial assistance for college. I do not remember getting financial assistance when I was eating ramen noodles for supper every night so my kids could eat well. I do not remember anyone giving me preferential treatment when I spent 10+ years at home alone when my husband worked nights protecting people who, like some on this page, think the world would be better off without him and those others who wear the uniform. I do not remember anyone helping me out when I had to explain to our son over and over that I was sorry daddy couldn't come to his school function, baseball game, football game, etc ... because he had to work to protect people who think he is pond scum! I take REAL offense to the comments on this page.

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 04:29 pm
Hey kmcdaniel66, you made

Hey kmcdaniel66, you made those choices. Everybody makes the same choices in their lives everyday. You and your cop hubby don't deserve anything other than salary he accepted when he took the job. And if your hubby is so stupid as to trade your childrens' childhood moments for a few bucks then you should have married someone who was more family oriented instead of an ego hound who'd rather get his adrenalin fix than spend time with his family. Do you think the sewer cleaner likes going to the trailer park to clean poop? No, but he does it without whining and expecting special recognition. So, shut your pie hole and if you don't like your job, if people don't appreciate you enough, get the heck out of the cop business. But you won't do that. You like being on the inside. You like preying on your fellow citizens and playing on their sympathies with your rhectoric and self-proclaimed sacrifices that you endure. GIMME A BREAK!

intheknow
intheknow 04/17/07 - 04:30 pm
Garyman's disability must be

Garyman's disability must be of the mental kind. You are such a sad , sad, sad person. I will not waste any more time on you. You are just here to stir up trouble. You might even be a child molester, rapist or murder that was taken off the streets by law enforcement. For all I know you may even be an inmate that has use of a computer. Bottom line is if anyone out there think the way you do, heaven help them too. Guess what gary, if you dial 911, one of us low-life will respond to save your sorry behind, whether we like you or not.

idmanrspk
idmanrspk 04/17/07 - 04:36 pm
Garyman- I read all your

Garyman- I read all your posts - you Mr. Man are a bonifide idiot, with all due respect this is to say it lightly....

idmanrspk
idmanrspk 04/17/07 - 04:41 pm
My bad ----you are

My bad ----you are garydman-----you're dman alright, dman that is mentally insane.

jmoval
jmoval 04/17/07 - 04:41 pm
wow

wow

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 05:01 pm
I don't call the cops. And I

I don't call the cops. And I must have hit a nerve somewhere. You have displayed your ignorance by name calling. Is that what they teach you in Gestapo school? To discredit your detractors by bombarding them with derogatory insults? I bet they teach you to plant evidence and beat up on unarmed citizens too. And do they teach you to lie under oath? I bet they do. I bet they teach you how to make people scared of you so they will cower in your omnipotent presence. Get outa my face you former bullied child. What you should have learned when those bullies took your lunch money was to stand up to them then. Not wait until you are grown and get job that allows you to run roughshod over your fellow citizens.

klsm
klsm 04/17/07 - 05:09 pm
You are a pathetic prick

You are a pathetic prick garydman ... you are right, I married the man I love and he stands up for the rights of jackasses like you who wouldn't even be allowed to speak your opinion if it wasn't for people protecting our rights ... you do not have to worry about my husband or any other cop kicking your stupid [filtered word] but you had better hope the _uck you never reveal your true self and come with the [filtered word] to me. Because you will get your [filtered word] kicked by a female and I am the one to do it. Now crawl back in your little bomb shelter and spout your rhetoric to someone else [filtered word]hole!

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 05:29 pm
Surely in one of your, or

Surely in one of your, or your Gestapo husbands' trips through the eight grade..(LOL) You should have learned that name calling and profanity only reflects your own ignorance and lack of proper upbringing. Maybe that's why cops are so ignorant, they all have small-minded, profanity spewing wives that they have to come home to. And for your information, cops don't protect peoples rights, they are the ones who violate peoples rights. Like I said previously, if your husband doesn't like serving the public, then he should get a job driving a dynamite truck. I'm sure the public will keep their distance. LOL

Rose
Rose 04/17/07 - 06:43 pm
I know there are good cops

I know there are good cops and bad cops. About 10 years ago I worked at a place for maybe 3 weeks, then because of things I saw, I quit. They paid me cash. They did not ask my full name, and did not ask for my SS#. Several Columbia County cops came by for break, sitting in the kitchen talking and laughing. One of them had a wife or girlfriend working there. Then one of the two owners comes in with a beer in his hand, flirting with a woman who wore shorts up her crack. A man almost got his hand cut off, and he lied and said it happened at home, so his insurance would pay for it.A few women there received foodstamps and other assistance and made over $200 a week in cash under the table. I did not feel right working there. I had never run into that kind of situation. It scared me. If I reported it, I would be reporting it to ones who already knew about it. I left and did not go back.I know all cops are not bad, but who can we trust?

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 04/17/07 - 07:12 pm
I thought Augusta was broke,

I thought Augusta was broke, so how in the world are judges getting a raise? Funny when I get a raise I am suppose to be happy with .20 raise. Why not just about a thousand a year? Spread the raises to other departments, if you are going to hand out raises. Also, if Augusta is broke why another baseball stadium when the old stadium is never full. Hope my taxes go down next year since Augusta has so much cash to throw around.

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 07:24 pm
That's what i'm saying Rose,

That's what i'm saying Rose, you can't trust any of them. They are just like everyone else. They are using their positions to the hilt. If you think the cop doesn't, at every opportunity, use his job/badge to promote his and his families well being, you are grossly mistaken. They are adept at it. They know every trick that there is and they work it to the "N"th degree. All the while, they go around whining about how they are underpaid and there job is soooo dangerous. Well here's a news flash for you rookie cops making $32,000.00 a year. I just did my Moms taxes, she's worked at the same place for 30 years and made less than $14,000.00 last year. Kinda makes your whining about 32k seem like a scratch next to a stab wound. You get no sympathy from me. Bunch of Chuckle Heads is what you are!

Rose
Rose 04/17/07 - 07:45 pm
gary, not all cops are bad.I

gary, not all cops are bad.I have known one since I was 6 yrs old. He has been in law enforcement since he was 18 yrs old. He is almost 60 now. He is a good man. I can't imagine him ever being dishonest. He has had a few bad times in his life. He lost a daughter and a niece to a drunk driver. Don't think all cops are crooked. Same as with whites and blacks. There are bad ones and good ones. Don't judge the whole bag of apples by one.

DefaultChoice
DefaultChoice 04/17/07 - 10:59 pm
Garydman, keeps talking about

Garydman, keeps talking about putting the money towards schools, but what just happened yesterday? It goes to show that schools are NO longer safe!!! 30 students, 2 professors were killed where? AT SCHOOL. I'm sure putting an extra 10,000 toward schools would have really prevented that tragedy, huh? It just goes to show how close minded and ignorant you are!!! You are what I call a pathetic excuse for human form!! Oh, and I am a 27 years old female and have been in Law Enforcement for 10 years. I ALWAYS ride BLUE LINE!!!!

DefaultChoice
DefaultChoice 04/17/07 - 11:31 pm
Plus, this is a new ERA!!!

Plus, this is a new ERA!!! Just in case if you haven't noticed, many people start jobs making more money than a person who has been empolyed with the same company for DECADES!!!

garydman
garydman 04/18/07 - 01:24 am
Yeah, I'm sure your doughnut

Yeah, I'm sure your doughnut slammin' behind is qualified to make that judgement. Shut your pie hole, do your job and when it comes time to vote, you get one. Your approval of my comments is not required or desired. But you should have learned in Gestapo/Goose Stepping school that name calling only shows your own ignorance and lack of proper home training. As far as the tragedy in Virginia and cops are concerned, it's already been established that they allowed the second massacre to occur by not searching the campus, leaving the gunman two hours to plot further crimes. Good Job there. And as far as your blue line is concerned, we all see right through it. Oh yeah, good job with the 30 year war on drugs too. LOL. How hard can it be to catch everyone on dope in 30 years? Maybe if the 9/11 hijackers would have had a joint in his pocket one of you Sherlocks could have stopped the attacks. And you want more money. Get a side job at the doughnut shop.

idmanrspk
idmanrspk 04/18/07 - 10:32 am
That's your mother's fault

That's your mother's fault that she worked a job for 30 years and got $14,000 a year--I'm sure no one held her hand to stay on job for all those years for that less money.

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...