Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Across the area

Correction, April, 18, 2007: An announcement in Tuesday's Metro section about a teen volunteer program at Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics should not have been published. The program, which will run from June 11 to July 20, is full.
The Augusta Chronicle regrets the error.(Highlight changes)

Police to pace stretch of I-20

The eastbound lane of Interstate 20 will be paced from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, according to a Georgia Department of Transportation news release.

The pacing will allow crews to install the bridge beams for the Walton Way Extension overpass, the release said. The pacing will begin after mile marker 190, near the Grovetown exit.

Law enforcement vehicles will be at the on ramps of exits 194, 196 and 198 to prevent traffic from entering the eastbound lanes of I-20.

The pacing then will switch to the westbound lanes of traffic between the same hours for April 23-24. Vehicles will be at exit 200 and 199 to prevent traffic from entering the westbound side of the interstate. The ramps will be reopened once the pacing vehicle passes, the release said.

Robber told woman he was husband's friend

An Augusta woman was robbed in her home on the 2000 block of Warren Street early Monday morning by a man who she said was a friend of her husband, a Richmond County sheriff's report said.

The victim said a man she knew only as "Corey" came to the house at about 3:15 p.m. and she let him in, the report said. She said she went to the rest room, and when she returned the man pointed a knife at her and stole a bow valued at $500, a cellular phone and a kitchen knife. He then fled the scene on foot.

Man's wallet stolen in downtown robbery

A 44-year-old man said he was held down and robbed at the 1100 block of Greene Street on Sunday night, a Richmond County sheriff's report said.

The victim said the two men approached him from behind, grabbed him, then held him on the ground and took his wallet, according to the report.

The men then ran away and were last seen heading toward 11th Street.

Energy Department to hold public hearing

The U.S. Department of Energy will hold a public hearing tonight about the plutonium disposal environmental impact study for the Savannah River Site in Aiken.

The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. at Newberry Hall on Newberry Street in Aiken. Energy Department officials will be present to answer questions about the study.

Police seek suspect in man's shooting

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help in locating and identifying a man who is believed to have shot a North Augusta man early Sunday.

At 12:48 a.m., deputies were called to a residence in the 500 block of Amos Court in North Augusta and found a man lying on the living room floor, dead from a single gunshot wound to the head.

In the initial investigation, witnesses stated the shooter and victim were seen arguing.

Investigators are looking for a Hispanic man, about 5 feet 10 inches tall, and weighing about 220 to 230 pounds.

An hour before the killing, surveillance photos show him walking into a Circle K in the 600 block of Jefferson Davis Highway in North Augusta, wearing a cowboy hat, plaid shirt, blue jeans and white rattlesnake boots.

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office is asking that anyone with any information about the identity and whereabouts of this individual please call Investigator Tim Abbott at (800) 922-9709 or call Crimestoppers of the Midlands at (888) 559-TIPS. Callers will remain anonymous and will be eligible for a cash reward of between $50 and $1,000.

MCG program wants teen volunteers

The Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics is accepting applications for this year's summer teen volunteer program, which provides high school students with a hands-on volunteer experience in health care.

The program will be offered June 12 through July 21. To be eligible, teens must be 15 years old by May 1. The application deadline is April 30.

To request an application, call (706) 721-3596.

Widow sues driver, restaurant in death

The widow of a man killed by a drunken driver has filed suit against the driver and an Augusta restaurant.

Meera Sinha filed the Richmond County Superior Court lawsuit against Richard K. Post and Ruby Tuesday. The case was made public Monday.

Mr. Post struck Harendra Sinha, 63, on Aug. 29, 2005, in the Springlakes subdivision. His body was lodged in the windshield of Mr. Post's car for about a mile.

Mr. Post pleaded guilty and received a 25-year prison sentence last summer. Mr. Post, who registered a .124 blood alcohol level, was allegedly drinking at Ruby Tuesday before the wreck, according to the lawsuit. A lawsuit represents only one side of a dispute.

Sixth lawsuit filed against host, station

A sixth slander lawsuit has been filed against an Aiken radio station and its talk radio host.

The latest Richmond County Superior Court lawsuit made public Monday was filed by the Rev. Bobby G. Hankerson, a former Richmond County commissioner.

The Rev. Hankerson filed suit against Brian L. "Ryan B" Doyle and Rejoice, alleging Mr. Doyle made repeated false and slanderous statements about him.

The lawsuit alleges Mr. Doyle even accused the Rev. Hankerson of taking a $3 million payoff from former Mayor Bob Young.

Five other public and other prominent Augusta residents also have filed suit against Mr. Doyle and the radio station. A lawsuit represents only one side of a dispute.

Bill would give circuit judges $10,000 raise

Judges for the Augusta Judicial Circuit could be getting a pay raise under a bill now headed to the governor for his approval.

The House on Monday gave final legislative approval to Senate Bill 209, which would give each of the circuit's eight Superior Court judges a $10,000 salary increase.

The extra money would come from Columbia County's supplement to the judges, who also handle cases for Richmond and Burke counties. Each county in the circuit contributes to the judges' salary on top of state money.

Rep. Barry Fleming, R-Harlem, said Columbia County commissioners asked lawmakers to make the salary change.

- From staff reports

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 04/17/07 - 03:03 am
rev. my butt. revolting. in

rev. my butt. revolting. in my opinion.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 04/17/07 - 03:39 am
Where's a $10k raise for our

Where's a $10k raise for our law officers? I don't see the Harlem rep asking for that. Must be looking out for his good ol' boys...

Dr. Pepper
Dr. Pepper 04/17/07 - 07:18 am
Wheres the raises for the

Wheres the raises for the sheriffs dept? you read of all the crime and troubles in Augusta.....this problem would be solved if Richmond County would pay a higher salary. Law Enforecement Officers are just like anyone of us, they go where the money is. That is why Richmond County Sheriffs Office has the highest employee turnover rate in the state. If they would pay more we would'nt lose deputies to Columbia County, Aiken County, Georgia State Patrol...etc. You get more when you pay more. A higher salary would not only keep the good deputies we have, but attract experienced deputies from other agencies.

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 07:52 am
The sheriffs dept. doesn't

The sheriffs dept. doesn't need a raise. They already get free food and preferential treatment. How about a raise in the minimum wage before the gestapo gets anything else.

sarah
sarah 04/17/07 - 08:25 am
garydman, gets your facts

garydman, gets your facts straight before your run your mouth. Some get free food and none of them get peferred treatment. They are normmaly the scum of the earth until you need them. They are complained on for no reason but let someone need their services, bam, call them to handle your oppositional child, your cheating and abusive spouse, your neighbors or whatever else a grown person can't handle until the cops show up. They are babysitters, counselors, psychologists, preachers etc, rolled into one. Walk a mile in their shoes then speak. Try going to a call when a woman's boyfriend is watching "HER" child while she is working. When you get there, this animal has put this baby in scalding water to the point the skin is hanging off its poor body. You talk like someone with a paper [filtered word]. I apologize for swearing, but they go through more than you would ever know.

Edward1968
Edward1968 04/17/07 - 08:54 am
Sarah is absolutely right as

Sarah is absolutely right as is Mt. Dew. RCSO is severely underpaid but is one of the best SOs in this state. They are all dedicated men and women. It is not easy to become a road patrol deputy. You must prove yourself at the 401 in the jail and work towards becoming certified as a police officer and all the time knowing that you will not be paid as well as some other law enforcement agencies. I don't know what the judges make compared to other jursidictions but I wish some of that money could go to our deputies.

packrat1
packrat1 04/17/07 - 08:55 am
Thanks Sarah, good hit.

Thanks Sarah, good hit.

who knows
who knows 04/17/07 - 09:02 am
I THINK POLICE, FIRE AND THE

I THINK POLICE, FIRE AND THE EMT'S AND PARAMEDICS SHOULD ALL GET A RAISE, maybe if we quit buying gas and cell phones for the commissioners they probably could get a raise or better yet lets get rid of everyone of them and start over

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 09:29 am
Get my facts straight? Here

Get my facts straight? Here here are some facts for you. 90% of all cops are admitted adrenalin junkies. (junkie being the operative word) They are liars, they protect those in their own ranks that cross the line, they use their power to advance their careers and their social lives, they rally by the hundreds when an officer is killed or injured, but when a citizen gets killed there's barely a fraction of the response. They use their black license plate with the blue bar on it to identify each other and each others families as not to ticket them. The real fact is, we'd all be better off with fewer cops who make less money and better off spending that money on modern schools and a raise for our teachers. After all, $10,000 a year per teacher would go a lot farther to the good than $10,000 a year per cop.

adrian22
adrian22 04/17/07 - 09:55 am
I agree with Sarah. To

I agree with Sarah. To garydman, unfortunately in this world there are some cops that make it hard for the rest of them. Remember they are only man so therefore they still make mistakes. But there are some really good cops out there and I want to commend Richmond County. We have a lot of incidents that happen but they are caught very quickly. We all still have alot of work to do as a community but we cannot place all the blame on law enforcement. There are good cops in the world and there are bad cops who do not deserve to even wear the badge. There are good people in the world and there are bad people in the world. Aren't cops people too?

sarah
sarah 04/17/07 - 09:59 am
Again, gets your facts

Again, gets your facts straight. Theer are prison guards who waer the blue line who are not cops. There are people who get the tag who have no business with it. You do not get special treatment with this tag. Be it black or white, law people are a family. Yes they rally together as all people should They should not divide. Not all are liars, yes there are some I agree that over use their "power". Try living in a world with less policing and see how far you make it. Would you put your life on the line every day? I think not or you would not be speaking like you are. It takes a very SPECIAL person to choose this career. Prove that 90 % of cops are junkies. You sound like a bitter person with a low paying job. People do rally around when a citizen is killed. Be it family friends or fellow employees. People with the thin blue line is not there not to get tickets, it is there as a unity of a family and strength.

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 10:12 am
Sarah - YOU sound like

Sarah - YOU sound like someone who is on the cop gravy train. Your hubby or boyfriend a cop? Are you? Special? That's a load of crappe!! Cops are no more special than the sewer cleaner guy. And THAT'S the problem! They sure do think they are. Noone forces them to be cops. They choose to be. If you think that cops are any more special than any other vocation in America, you just prove my point.

sarah
sarah 04/17/07 - 10:28 am
My whole family is cops. I do

My whole family is cops. I do not agree with them all of the time but they have my respect. WOULD YOU PUT YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE FOR SOMEONE YOU DO NOT KNOW?. That is the special kind of person a cop is. They do not judge you when you need help. It does not matter how trashy YOU are, they help. The only person who is able to judge us is GOD. Yes I am special but I do not ride the short bus like it sounds you do. Why is the military hailed as being so special? Why? Because they are out fighting for us and protecting up. Wow, sounds like what a cop does. Also a firefighter, EMS etc. No being a cop is not a "gravy train". I used to be a cop with Columbia County and I loved every minute of it. Once a cop always a cop.

Sarah, You had me convinced

Sarah, You had me convinced until you used the term "short
bus". You sound like a 5th grader. Shame on you!!

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 11:04 am
You go on thinking you are

You go on thinking you are better than everyone. I'm sure there is enough feebleness between your ears for you to rationalize that you are. If your whole family "is" cops (lol) then you have been privy to special treatment, inside information, free meals, torn up tickets and free rides on traffic stops all your life. So your opinion is biased, tainted and is of no value to anyone but yourself.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/17/07 - 11:14 am
Sarah, I agree with you about

Sarah, I agree with you about cops being special. I come from a family of law enforcement personnel and also worked for 8 years as a crime analysis. Please don't let "garydman" get under your skin, he has a chip on his shoulders about cops and you'll never get him to understand. I've been this round with him myself. Evidently he's had a bad experienece with law enforcement in his past and I only pray he changes his attitude if ever in need of law enforcement assistants in the future.

lazeeday
lazeeday 04/17/07 - 11:23 am
gardyman-The fact is ,we need

gardyman-The fact is ,we need police and fireman.The facts are they are very underpaid for what they do.The facts are I am sure none of the cops responding to yesterdays tragedy stopped for one second to ponder if they get paid enough for what they do.They acted and saved lives.The cops and firemen in our area do the same. Yes they need to be paid more.They need more respect as well.No I do not have these professions in my family,but would be very proud of it if I did.

intheknow
intheknow 04/17/07 - 11:30 am
Boy is it good to be back

Boy is it good to be back home. Garyman. I have been in law enforcement over 29 years. I have yet to receive this " Special Treatment " you talk about. Unless you are talking about the stab wounds from pulling a boyfriend or husband off of the wife or girlfriend he is abusing. Or the late night talks with a therapist after seeing the bodies of children that were raped, shot stabbed and thrown away like garbage. Or the elderly person that was robbed, beating, raped murder. What about investigating a plane, train, automobile crashes that ends in a fatality. Knocking on the door to inform a loved one that their Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, Child or so on will not be coming home. Yes, we will run towards gunfire while others flee. I can understand why you think we as crazy, over paid. I mean you have to be crazy to place yourself in harm way just for the RUSH.

user3
user3 04/17/07 - 11:41 am
raises?? how could they even

raises?? how could they even consider that with our schools in the shape that they are in. Every extra dime we have should be going towards the education of our children.

sarah
sarah 04/17/07 - 11:42 am
You never answered the

You never answered the question garydman, WOULD YOU PUT YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE FOR SOMEONE YOU DO NOT KNOW? You must not be able to answre the question. No I never recieved special treatment or free food. I have had my share of tickets for speeding. Yes, I broke the law. forsure, I am sorry for that comment, I picked it up from my kids. garydman, keep lol, I will keep you in my prayers. You need to get on your knees and thank God that you live where you live. I have never thought I was better than anyone else and would help anyone. I worry about every cop out there and now I add my son to that list. To intheknow, you are truly a blessed person to stay in law enforcement for that length of time. It doesn't matter if you are a rabbit cop or a state patrol, it never gets any easier telling someone their family has been killed by a drunk driver, a crazed boyfriend/girlfriend or someone breaking into their home.

MonteCrisco
MonteCrisco 04/17/07 - 11:59 am
What happened to the comments

What happened to the comments under Rants & Raves???????

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 12:06 pm
Law enforcement defending law

Law enforcement defending law enforcement. You people are the problem. You've used the TV media to broadcast fear of crime into every american home, you've used your inability to do your job to get laws passed that make common criminals out of americans that otherwise would not be considered as such. You have used fear of crime to turn police departments into armies armed with machine guns, tanks and swat teams. Like I said, we'd all be better off with fewer, less paid, less equipped cops and more modern schools and better pay for our educators. I mean you people have had a war on drugs for 30 years and everybody that wants to get high, is still getting high. How hard can it be to catch people on dope anyways? LOL. You go on thinking that you are a better breed. I know better. You're just a collection of self serving freaks, like everybody else, no better than the next guy. To pretend to be anything else is an insult to everybody!

mgray
mgray 04/17/07 - 12:10 pm
Uh, gee, garydman, just how

Uh, gee, garydman, just how many times HAVE you been arrested? It's obvious that your dislike of law enforcement must stem from your personal experiences of breaking the law. They are, in my opinion, some of the most grossly underpaid people on the planet. And, even though you have spent space bashing them in this post, I guarantee you they would come out and save your behind if you needed them - and for very little pay. They might get a free meal afterwards, very little thanks for dealing with the likes of you!

mgray
mgray 04/17/07 - 12:20 pm
Oh, by the way, I am not law

Oh, by the way, I am not law enforcement, nobody in my family is law enforcement, and I do not have a close personal relationship with law enforcement - but I am sure glad they are willing to DIE for me and mine, especially considering they have NEVER met me personally - sounds like they know what sacrifice is all about. I will pray for your hard heart garydman.

imdstuf
imdstuf 04/17/07 - 12:50 pm
There are good and bad cops.

There are good and bad cops. You cannot base salary on the fact some do not perform their job well. If you do not like the people we have as law enforcement, think of raising the salaries as a way to lure in better candidates for the jobs. If the counties around Richmond pay better where do you think the most professional and most qualified will go?

depdog1002002
depdog1002002 04/17/07 - 01:05 pm
Ill tell you what; Police

Ill tell you what; Police Officers, Sheriff's Deputies, State Patrol, Correctional Officers they all put their lives out there for the first general order. Protect the public. Its that simple. Law Enforcement are underpaid and I dont think 32,000 a year is enough to support a family in which you have to go out every day and run the risk of being killed. There are some bad apples out there and I know a few. I defend all law enforcement let it be corrections or sheriff's dept. Its a hard job. Mainly because of the bureaucrats wanting all kinds of paperwork. Got to cover themselves. Law Enforcement have more risk of actually going to jail or geting charged with something than a criminal. Its nuts! I think all law enforcement should get a raise of ten thousand dollars. Its risky work and they should be paid risky pay.

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 01:43 pm
Police Officers, Sheriff's

Police Officers, Sheriff's Deputies, State Patrol, Correctional Officers are all no better than the dope dealers and pimps they lock up every day, you are one and the same, you all feed yourselves and further your aims and careers on the misery of others. If you don't like your job, then get a job driving a dynamite truck, I'm sure people will stay far, far away from you,. If you don't like your pay, go to college to better yourself and stop power tripping and whining about your situation. Bunch of "got my lunch money taken when I was a kid" power FREAKS!! You can all aspire to be like your freak brothers in New Orleans: they surrounded and looted a grocery store so they and their families can eat, all the while patroling and locking up civilian citizens for doing the same thing. That's why noone has any respect for you losers. You think you are better than the rest of us. Well, I'm here to tell you that you aren't. No matter what Gestapo/SS/blue line oath you take.

sarah
sarah 04/17/07 - 01:56 pm
Well, I can see that you are

Well, I can see that you are not going to answer the question asked of you twice. The media puts fear in people not the police. The poor family in Columbia County who was killed at school yesterday has vans parked on the streets waiting to take pictures? Did the law enforcement invite them? The family should have their privacy to grieve. The law did go and make them move from the property. Oh, gee, but they do no good. If one person selling dope is arrested, there are two more there to take the place. What kind of job do you have?

garydman
garydman 04/17/07 - 02:04 pm
Bet you freaks would like to

Bet you freaks would like to pull me over and teach me a few things, HUH? Rough me up a little? Shoot me with a taser? Instill in me some fear of the blue line? Beat me up with those sissy sticks you all carry? Or maybe get some law passed to stop free speech so people like me won't be able to tell you just what you are? Get over yourselves, if you all died this instant, the world would go on just fine without you.

garydman