Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I HAVE A BIG RANT for the people who put their kids' basketball goals up in the road (or facing the road). Also, kids these days need to learn respect for others' things. My yard is not your dumping ground. and I'm getting really tired of picking it up.

THIS MAY SEEM heartless to some, but probably "duh" to most: What kind of mother lets her child "run" after a moving school bus? Didn't this mother learn anything growing up? Neither the school bus driver nor the person who owns that trailer park is to blame. It is only the mother. You should have known better.

I RECENTLY ATTENDED a meeting in Columbia County. At that meeting, a gentleman dressed as Uncle Sam stood up and did a reading on the American flag. It is the comment he made prior to the reading that I find offensive. He commented that unfortunately it was written by a "Northerner." Is this not the Bible Belt? When will Southerners stop fighting the Civil War?

MILITARY SEX ASSAULTS increase, and it's to be expected from a politically correct military that pours females into the same mold as males, has them bunking together on Navy ships, etc. The obvious solution is to go back to the old way - the way that won wars.

TICKETS NOW ON sale, at $35 a pop, for a dinner to "honor" Charles Larke. Since neither a hall nor a caterer can possibly cost that much, who gets the bulk of the money? Will Larke continue to find willing suckers? He's a pretty amazing guy, in a negative way.

SLOW DOWN. This is a rant for all of the drivers who do not take the time to stop and look for oncoming traffic. Motorcyclists have a right to the road as well as automobiles, and I am tired of reading about motorcyclists who are killed because people do not take the time to stop and look. We have lost too many good people to hasty drivers. Please be extra cautious because the next time, it may be your friend instead of mine.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 10:05 pm
I never said that, judge by

I never said that, judge by the merits, why do you assume that blacks will always lose.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 10:10 pm
I test very well l, I have a

I test very well l, I have a lot of education, wher are all these free jobs for Blacks, You can't have it both ways . On this post they always say we don,t won't to do nothing for ourselves , and yet every white man is losing a job to a black man who only wants to play lotto and drink malt liqure, it doesn't add up

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 10:11 pm
Never said they would. there

Never said they would. there just shouldn't be a system in place to judge by other than merits. That what affirmative action does. in fact, some time's it can work against the blacks.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 10:15 pm
you have never seen me accuse

you have never seen me accuse blacks of any such thing. i just don't want special treatment for anyone

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 10:21 pm
As always owensjef, it was

As always owensjef, it was fun, but I need to go to sleep now.

loranna
loranna 03/28/07 - 10:25 pm
I just recently started

I just recently started reading these comments & have to admit, I really enjoy them. I actually learn a few things. Of course, I don't always agree with everyone but, I think that is what keeps it interesting. As for the speeding issue earlier, I say quit complaining about the speeders & get out of their way. I don't want to see anyone hurt but all I can do is make sure it isn't me. As for staying in that lane & make them mad, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Why chance getting hurt because of somebody else's ignorance?

whynot
whynot 03/28/07 - 11:26 pm
Liloleme, you must be insane

Liloleme, you must be insane or saying these things just for the sake of arguing. No one in their right mind would feel the way you do about staying in the passing lane. The passing lane is for one vehicle to pass another, not for a vehicle to ride on continually. It doesn't matter if you are going the speed limit or not, it is still the passing lane and that is what it is for.

liloleme
liloleme 03/29/07 - 07:44 am
On the highway--I agree. Not

On the highway--I agree. Not in town.

sanders20
sanders20 03/29/07 - 09:02 am
liloleme...would you include

liloleme...would you include riverwatch..520..20 in the highway dept, even though it's in city limits?