Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I HAVE A BIG RANT for the people who put their kids' basketball goals up in the road (or facing the road). Also, kids these days need to learn respect for others' things. My yard is not your dumping ground. and I'm getting really tired of picking it up.

THIS MAY SEEM heartless to some, but probably "duh" to most: What kind of mother lets her child "run" after a moving school bus? Didn't this mother learn anything growing up? Neither the school bus driver nor the person who owns that trailer park is to blame. It is only the mother. You should have known better.

I RECENTLY ATTENDED a meeting in Columbia County. At that meeting, a gentleman dressed as Uncle Sam stood up and did a reading on the American flag. It is the comment he made prior to the reading that I find offensive. He commented that unfortunately it was written by a "Northerner." Is this not the Bible Belt? When will Southerners stop fighting the Civil War?

MILITARY SEX ASSAULTS increase, and it's to be expected from a politically correct military that pours females into the same mold as males, has them bunking together on Navy ships, etc. The obvious solution is to go back to the old way - the way that won wars.

TICKETS NOW ON sale, at $35 a pop, for a dinner to "honor" Charles Larke. Since neither a hall nor a caterer can possibly cost that much, who gets the bulk of the money? Will Larke continue to find willing suckers? He's a pretty amazing guy, in a negative way.

SLOW DOWN. This is a rant for all of the drivers who do not take the time to stop and look for oncoming traffic. Motorcyclists have a right to the road as well as automobiles, and I am tired of reading about motorcyclists who are killed because people do not take the time to stop and look. We have lost too many good people to hasty drivers. Please be extra cautious because the next time, it may be your friend instead of mine.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 05:05 pm
Intheknow great points

Intheknow great points

liloleme
liloleme 03/28/07 - 05:17 pm
Hey...if you want to go

Hey...if you want to go faster than I am going---when I am in the PASSING lane going the SPEED limit---have a day and use the ditch----otherwise...back off.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 05:28 pm
Discrimination in any form,

Discrimination in any form, written or otherwise is bad, but it is compounded when it is an official policy. There used to be laws to prevent blacks from having jobs. That was wrong. But two wrongs don't make a right so to speak. There should be no official or unofficial policies to judge people by the color of their skin. To do so is racist.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/28/07 - 05:32 pm
intheknow...the population in

intheknow...the population in Richmond County is about a 50-50 split, with other minorities making up the difference. That doesn't mean that half the people vying for jobs are qualified & the other half aren't; just means that that's the demographics. King James, you're right.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/28/07 - 05:39 pm
No kpc, a racist believes

No kpc, a racist believes his/her race is genetically superior; a bigot, on the other hand just hates other races. The way ya'll throw "racist" around on here makes me wonder if anyone has ever looked up the definition.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/28/07 - 05:44 pm
Either everyone is scrambling

Either everyone is scrambling to find a dictionary or it's quitting time. LOL

intheknow
intheknow 03/28/07 - 05:51 pm
For the record, the 45-55%

For the record, the 45-55% was referring to jobs that went to Minority owned businesses. In other words, the hell raising that was done by the Thompson company and others led me to believe that Minority owned businesses were given anywhere from 45-55 % of contracts when it was only 6-8 %.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 03/28/07 - 06:02 pm
intheknow... Did this affect

intheknow... Did this affect you? I'm not familiar with the Thompson thing. I know it didn't affect me (I should spend more time in Thompson, LOL). Sounds like the norm, everyone twisting numbers to suit themselves.

jamesj
jamesj 03/28/07 - 06:40 pm
1976, my Dad was "cut back"

1976, my Dad was "cut back" from a Supervisor position" to a Manager position at Kayo gas stations. The reason they gave him... They had to have X amount of Black Supervisors by law. was that racial discrimination against whites or Affirmative action at work? I guess either way it was there loss….The Man Who replaced him stole over 100K from them and opened his own chain of Gas stations...

Harlem Lady
Harlem Lady 03/28/07 - 06:47 pm
I just want to say that

I just want to say that whoever wrote the ugly note about the teens in the Harlem Library does not know what they are talking about they are rude the staff there tries their best to please everyone with a smile I have been a patron for many many years and have never had a problem so if You don't have something nice to say don't say nothing at all besides the teens are in school all day until late afternoon so go earlier or get your own computer and make it as quite as you would like!! or make it a non teen place. So Back off the Rude comments about the hard workers in the Harlem Library!!=D Thank you Harlem Patron!!

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 08:12 pm
James J what does aplles have

James J what does aplles have to do with oranges, I think your story is all about your parents teaching you to be a C

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 08:21 pm
Who is least affected by

Who is least affected by racism, answer white males. When they don't get a job they scream Affirmative action, oh some black, or some women took my job I was more qualifiedd. On this post they say oh that happened 100 years ago , but in 2007 we still have to worry about stuff like this
CLINTON, South Carolina (AP) -- The arrest of two women teachers on charges of having sex with their male students has brought cries of lingering racism in one of South Carolina's most conservative counties and evoked some of the South's oldest and deepest-seated racial taboos.

Both women are white. The boys -- six in all -- are black.

Some of the blacks who make up more than a quarter of Laurens County's 70,000 residents are upset over the handling of the two cases, particularly the release of the teachers on bail.

They say the cases reflect the way crimes by whites against blacks in the segregated South were treated less seriously than other offenses, and blacks who leveled accusations against whites were less likely to be believed.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 08:22 pm
True True

True True

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 08:22 pm
True True

True True

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 08:22 pm
True True

True True

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 08:37 pm
what does apples have to do

what does apples have to do with oranges? his father was discriminated against because of his race. As was I. It still happens. There has been a full reversal. If you are a white male you have legal disadvantages. Give me an example of how this isn't true. you can't. I'm not saying one race is better, I'm just saying that discriminating against one race is wrong no matter the reason. It is a shame you don't see that owensjef. you are as bad as the white men that passed laws making blacks second class citizens. you just don't see it because you are reaping the benifits now.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 08:44 pm
A white male with identical

A white male with identical grades gets less points for college admission simply because he is white. How is that fair?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 08:55 pm
owensjef is clearly racist.

owensjef is clearly racist. (or whatever your dictionary calls it) all i ask for is equality, but he believes that there shouldn't be equality.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 03/28/07 - 09:07 pm
Dam...why are you all in such

Dam...why are you all in such a hurry? Running late ? get you [filtered word] out of bed & leave earlier !!! Black-White...we will never get along...Blacks do anything that the white people don't...and the white people hate them for it. Then you have white teenagers who try to blend Whiggers !!! The word is well since I can not print the proper word doomed..WE CAN NOT GET ALONG...AND WHO WANTS TO ? NO ONE ON THIS PAGE DOES...lol
MORAL: DRIVE LIKE HELL & YOU WILL GET THERE SOONER !!!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 09:13 pm
I like that PI

I like that PI

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 09:46 pm
yea right , kpc moral

yea right , kpc moral challenge of our time in the 21st century is the discrimination against the white Man. This is the most serious and vital human rights issue of our time. Give me a break. I have never benifited from this so called Affirmative action and I am sure you have not had a job snatch away because we need more blacks to boss kpc, kpc got a 98 and the black got a 93. Bubba Willis got a waiver for his job , if he was black ya'll would scream bloody murder. whats up with that KPC. In 2007 you still don't have to go through what I go through and every satistic proves that with all factors being equal. cry baby

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 09:53 pm
How about give me some of

How about give me some of those stats and sources? Who don't you want equality? what are you afraid of?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 09:53 pm
Name calling is what it comes

Name calling is what it comes down to I see.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 09:54 pm
And yes....I have missed 2

And yes....I have missed 2 promotions because of affirmative action.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 09:55 pm
I am not a racist KPC I am a

I am not a racist KPC I am a Truth teller, fact after fact shows that that the average Black male with the same factors as a white male will be judge harder, will be pre judge harder will not get a fair shake and that just a fact, I don,t whine about it I just play the hand that I am delt. But we still don't kill ourselves we deal with it. our suicide rate is way lower, how bout that stat since you so good with numbers

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 09:57 pm
I guess i am a cry baby

I guess i am a cry baby because i want equality.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 09:58 pm
What does the suicide rate

What does the suicide rate have to do with affirmative action? talk about apples and oranges!

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 09:59 pm
Yea right kpc,ah lets see,

Yea right kpc,ah lets see, KPC you are the best but. ou are not getting the job, somebody is full of it and I think it is you. You miss two promotions because some body had a better interview than you and you can not accept it,. I am tired of people using that excuss to bash the fact that this country has never and still is not fair . The difference between me and you is that I drive on and you Cry.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 10:03 pm
Think about it wih all his

Think about it wih all his gloom and doom who can't take the hard time because they just are not use to it, even with all this affirmtive action.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 10:04 pm
no, the interviewer said i

no, the interviewer said i won the job, but HR changed the rankings because of AA demographics. again i ask, why don't you want everyone judged by their merits instead of their color?