Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I HAVE A BIG RANT for the people who put their kids' basketball goals up in the road (or facing the road). Also, kids these days need to learn respect for others' things. My yard is not your dumping ground. and I'm getting really tired of picking it up.

THIS MAY SEEM heartless to some, but probably "duh" to most: What kind of mother lets her child "run" after a moving school bus? Didn't this mother learn anything growing up? Neither the school bus driver nor the person who owns that trailer park is to blame. It is only the mother. You should have known better.

I RECENTLY ATTENDED a meeting in Columbia County. At that meeting, a gentleman dressed as Uncle Sam stood up and did a reading on the American flag. It is the comment he made prior to the reading that I find offensive. He commented that unfortunately it was written by a "Northerner." Is this not the Bible Belt? When will Southerners stop fighting the Civil War?

MILITARY SEX ASSAULTS increase, and it's to be expected from a politically correct military that pours females into the same mold as males, has them bunking together on Navy ships, etc. The obvious solution is to go back to the old way - the way that won wars.

TICKETS NOW ON sale, at $35 a pop, for a dinner to "honor" Charles Larke. Since neither a hall nor a caterer can possibly cost that much, who gets the bulk of the money? Will Larke continue to find willing suckers? He's a pretty amazing guy, in a negative way.

SLOW DOWN. This is a rant for all of the drivers who do not take the time to stop and look for oncoming traffic. Motorcyclists have a right to the road as well as automobiles, and I am tired of reading about motorcyclists who are killed because people do not take the time to stop and look. We have lost too many good people to hasty drivers. Please be extra cautious because the next time, it may be your friend instead of mine.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 01:39 pm
I was unaware that you have

I was unaware that you have been alive for 400 years....I apologize.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/28/07 - 01:42 pm
Didn't that season of

Didn't that season of Survivor already prove which was the best race? If I could only be Asian ...

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 01:46 pm
week you always good for a

week you always good for a laugh

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 01:46 pm
More than I could count KPC

More than I could count KPC

liloleme
liloleme 03/28/07 - 01:47 pm
Ha Ha Ha!!

Ha Ha Ha!!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 01:49 pm
You can honestly say that

You can honestly say that there were written policies that discriminated against you because of race? Wha company was this. I'd like to see that. And I don't recall ever claiming anyone was a better race. THAT is race baiting. All I want is equality. A person should be judged by the content of his character, not by the color of his skin. Affirmative action contridicts this notion.

garydman
garydman 03/28/07 - 01:50 pm
Yeah, let's make it a felony

Yeah, let's make it a felony to play the race or religion card!! Mandatory ten years for anyone who tries to use their race as an excuse for anything. Ten years for anyone who ever mentions race or religion again to gain sympathy for their cause. Ten years for anyone who mentions slavery or the holocost or even plight of the indians being conquered by the white man. Who cares? That stuff happened long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away as far as any of us are concerned.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 01:55 pm
garydman....if only everyone

garydman....if only everyone thought like that....maybe we could get along!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 01:56 pm
although simply mentioning it

although simply mentioning it is not a bad idea.....if you ingnor history you are doomed to repeat it.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 01:56 pm
Wow...my typing is way off

Wow...my typing is way off today.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 01:57 pm
Put the joint down Gary

Put the joint down Gary

intheknow
intheknow 03/28/07 - 02:26 pm
Affirmative action. GOOD OLD

Affirmative action. GOOD OLD BOY SYSTEM. Affirmative action. GOOD OLD BOY SYSTEM. I got one better than tat kpc. How about being passed over for a person that reads on a 5th grade level. Wow and he just so happened to be " White".

sanders20
sanders20 03/28/07 - 02:34 pm
n/a

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/28/07 - 02:42 pm
garydman wants to lock

garydman wants to lock everyone up, bad drivers, criminals, homosexuals, anyone that has ever stereotyped/or is racist ... you're going to be a pretty lonely dude, and that prison sounds like a great reality show ... to bad only garydman will get to watch it.

KingJames
KingJames 03/28/07 - 02:45 pm
Just out of curiosity, how

Just out of curiosity, how does someone that is a candidate for a position know if the person actually selected for the position is qualified or not? Those things should be kept confidential. I agree that people should be hired and promoted according to their knowledge, skills, and abilities, and not their color. But, kpc, if you know that the person promoted isn't qualified, then that lets me know that your company has more serious human resources problems than that one individual filling a position that they shouldn't. The problem is that your company is trying too hard to diversify itself. Just because the person that got the job is of a different race than you doesn't mean that they aren't qualified. The company could actually view human capital as an asset. Companies with diverse employees at all levels benefit from those idividuals' opinions of products, services, and issues. Those opinions have been shaped by their different cultures and backgrounds, and could make more money for the company. So, when companies hire, fire, and promote, the only color that is really important is green; not black, white, or other.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/28/07 - 02:46 pm
What if you're only like say

What if you're only like say half white & half (insert minority of your choice here)? Do you not get the same affirmative action benefits as someone who is full blooded (insert minority of your choice here)?

gofigure1
gofigure1 03/28/07 - 03:01 pm
In response to "sanders20".

In response to "sanders20". People with your attitude are what is wrong with our society. I will not get out of your way just because you don't have TIME to follow my slow tail. Who gives you the right to "flip" some one off or flash your lights? It is very easy to let the other drivers know of an emergency rather than being rude. The more you complain, the slower I go. Just so you know, my brakes work very well. Hope yours do.

KingJames
KingJames 03/28/07 - 03:02 pm
For the people comlaining

For the people comlaining about the slow drivers...living in a town in Virginia that thrives on tourism has taught me a very important lesson about people who drive slow. There are more of them than those of us who drive expiditiously yet with caution. I really hate being in the fast lane behind a long line of about 10 cars that are all doing the speed limit but are in the lane to pass one car that is doing two miles below the speed limit. Absolutely none of them will pick up their speed to just pass and get it over with. The only way to end the torment is to get in the right lane, speed up to get just behind the slow car, and then cut someone off to get back in the fast lane. Sounds crazy, but that's the only way to get to where you have to be without going crazy behind someon else who just won't get to where they have to be.

liloleme
liloleme 03/28/07 - 03:13 pm
Sanders...are you saying that

Sanders...are you saying that if I am in the fast lane going the speed limit I should get out of your way just because you want to go faster?
...and just so ya'll know....I wasn't actually talking about the highway---this is the way people are IN town.... Like you getting to walmart 2 minutes before I do is a big deal.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/28/07 - 03:18 pm
Y'all should go to Cairo,

Y'all should go to Cairo, Egypt and try driving there. Lines on the road and traffic lights mean nothing.

sanders20
sanders20 03/28/07 - 03:22 pm
n/a

liloleme
liloleme 03/28/07 - 03:41 pm
Ohhhh nice----real mature.

Ohhhh nice----real mature.

KingJames
KingJames 03/28/07 - 03:58 pm
Driving in Naples, Itlay is

Driving in Naples, Itlay is so bad that at some busy intersections they just turned off the traffic lights altogether. Most cars are small so everyone just gets in where they fit in. Drivers over there expect that the next guy will go around them while they wait for their turn at a stop sign. No one gets mad or upset because that's just how they drive. When they come to the states, they always seem to cause accidents, though.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 04:15 pm
Diversity is a good thing,

Diversity is a good thing, but forcing it for the sake of meeting a goal is not. And yes, the company I work for does have serious HR problems. There are leaks of things that should be confidential etc. I would never assume that because someone is of a different race that they are less qualified. I am baseing my remarks on information that I got from interviewers who weren't supposed to talk but did.
And it seems that the speeders are just proving my assertion that they are selfish...over and over. There is no LEGAL excuse to drive over the speed limit. If you speed, you are a criminal.
The "good old boy system" is not a legal system written into policy. It may have been at one time, but it is not anymore. And since I wasn't born and raised here...I'm not in the system anyway. Affirmative action, by definition violates most company's EEO policy. It also violates the basic right to be judged by who you are, not by your skin color.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 03/28/07 - 04:23 pm
Sanders20. You have some

Sanders20. You have some real issues. Listen up, there are lawyers who survive on misfits like you. If you hit me or my children, you will need two jobs.

intheknow
intheknow 03/28/07 - 04:35 pm
SO ONLY IF IT IS IN WRITING

SO ONLY IF IT IS IN WRITING DO YOU CONSIDER IT DISCRIMINATION? What I am amazed at on this site you have peolple hint that blacks make up the majority of people on welfare, unemployed and in jail. Now if ' Blacks" only make up 12-15 percent of the population, how in the world could " Blacks" be taking all of these jobs away from ' Whites" at the same time. It just does not add up. The same thing came up with the so called minority set aside program for contract with the county. You had several companies raising hell about ' Minority " business getting favorite treatment. Now when the figures came out, it revealed that between 2003-2006 a total of less than 6 -8 percent was done with the so called Minority owned businesses. That means 92-94 percent of the contarcts went to " White " owned businesses. Now please do not get mean wrong, I believe in the best person for the job, but the way people were raising hell, I just knew the numbers had to be around 45-55 %.

AikenCo
AikenCo 03/28/07 - 04:38 pm
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!!!!!

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!!!!! What a nice day outside!!!

sanders20
sanders20 03/28/07 - 04:51 pm
"lilolme" its called the

"lilolme" its called the PASSING LANE. not the FAST LANE. repeat those word out loud....got my point..
if you are driving the speed limit and in the CORRECT LANE...people like me wouldn't have ride your ars and flip you off. i bet..ill even put money on it...you are a woman driver. that will explain a lot about your thinking

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 03/28/07 - 05:00 pm
The traffic in Nassau

The traffic in Nassau (Bahamas) is the same.....stop signs and red lights are only suggestions--never enforced.

KingJames
KingJames 03/28/07 - 05:00 pm
More often than not, if

More often than not, if someone of a different race beats out a person for a job, then the loser usually says it's because of race. Since most people only think of black and white anyway, I'll just say it. Most black people who were beat out for jobs by whites will say that it is becuase the other person was white. Most white people who don't get promoted over a black person say that the black person getting the promotion was not qualified and only got the job because they were black. We should all look at ourselves realistically and evaluate ourselves against promotion requirements. Most of us would probably be surprised to know that we are not qualified for the promotion that we want anyway. If the company was going to hire someone new to do the job and current employees saw the position description, they would think no one was qualified to walk in off the street and take the job. That's how company's get the most quaified people for jobs - by stating requirements that ordinary people without experience can't meet. Before anyone claims they were passed over because of race, compare your qualifications to the position description for the promotion.

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.