Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I HAVE A BIG RANT for the people who put their kids' basketball goals up in the road (or facing the road). Also, kids these days need to learn respect for others' things. My yard is not your dumping ground. and I'm getting really tired of picking it up.

THIS MAY SEEM heartless to some, but probably "duh" to most: What kind of mother lets her child "run" after a moving school bus? Didn't this mother learn anything growing up? Neither the school bus driver nor the person who owns that trailer park is to blame. It is only the mother. You should have known better.

I RECENTLY ATTENDED a meeting in Columbia County. At that meeting, a gentleman dressed as Uncle Sam stood up and did a reading on the American flag. It is the comment he made prior to the reading that I find offensive. He commented that unfortunately it was written by a "Northerner." Is this not the Bible Belt? When will Southerners stop fighting the Civil War?

MILITARY SEX ASSAULTS increase, and it's to be expected from a politically correct military that pours females into the same mold as males, has them bunking together on Navy ships, etc. The obvious solution is to go back to the old way - the way that won wars.

TICKETS NOW ON sale, at $35 a pop, for a dinner to "honor" Charles Larke. Since neither a hall nor a caterer can possibly cost that much, who gets the bulk of the money? Will Larke continue to find willing suckers? He's a pretty amazing guy, in a negative way.

SLOW DOWN. This is a rant for all of the drivers who do not take the time to stop and look for oncoming traffic. Motorcyclists have a right to the road as well as automobiles, and I am tired of reading about motorcyclists who are killed because people do not take the time to stop and look. We have lost too many good people to hasty drivers. Please be extra cautious because the next time, it may be your friend instead of mine.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

LakeBum
LakeBum 03/28/07 - 09:05 am
KPC, Yes, you CAN pick and

KPC,

Yes, you CAN pick and choose the laws you want to obey, although that still doesn't make it right. Slow(er) traffic in the right lane(s) contribute to far more traffic accidents than people exceeding the speed limit. And yes, perhaps my time IS more valuable (at least to me) than yours if I choose to pass you. MOVE OVER TO THE RIGHT!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/28/07 - 09:13 am
We should adopt the German

We should adopt the German school of driving, you know the one where you actually have to study to get a driver's license, where the penalties are much more severe, and the law enforcement actually enforces them. We need to get people to realize that driving is a privilege not a right.

Rose
Rose 03/28/07 - 09:37 am
I was in the left turn lane

I was in the left turn lane on Columbis Rd yesterday ready to make a turn onto Belair when the light turned green. the vehicle in front of me could not go, because 3 vehicles ran the red light. I had to sit there and wait till they passed through the intersection.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 09:50 am
Wow lakeburn. For starters

Wow lakeburn. For starters where did you get that statistic about "far more" accidents being caused by slower traffic in the right lane? And your statements are a good example of the selfish attitude that I was talking about. Blatent contempt for the law does not give you the right of way. Try driving at or below the speed limit for just one day. I bet you still get where you were going at pretty close to the same time. If you don't.....try leaving earlier. And weekapaug, I agree with you. As a matter of fact, I think you should at least have to retake the driver's test periodically to renew it, not just mail in some money and voila...a new license.

ForHim
ForHim 03/28/07 - 10:33 am
There has been consideration

There has been consideration for a law that will make it illegal for anyone to drive in the left lane that is not passing. The mindset is that staying in the left lane will hinder traffic and cause accidents. It would be less hazardous for a car speeding without changing lanes than it would be to change lanes. It would then be up to law enforcement to take on the lawbreakers. It will be interesting to see how and if that one pans out. And KPC you are right - going 70 mph will get you there pretty close to the same as 80 mph. It would take a substantial increase in speed to really "put a dent" in getting somewhere faster.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 10:41 am
The only problem with that

The only problem with that don1, is that if instituted, Is that you will still have to change lanes to pass....it's just that the lane will be open for the criminals to use. Unless they are just as hipocritical as they are contemptuous, and remain in the left lane whether or not they are passing.

rt1523c
rt1523c 03/28/07 - 10:45 am
Everyone is guilty of driving

Everyone is guilty of driving like a dunder head from time to time. You can drive as safe as possbile at all times, but all it takes is one driver (regardless of vehicle) to lose focus and you can be caught up in their "accident". As with every activity that has safety concerns, the participant must understand and accept those risks. If you skydive and your shoot doesn't open, a court system could find someone else at fault, but you will still be dead. People should be more considerate of other drivers, but reality is what it is. If you get on a bike, the risk is yours to take. Oh by the way, I want to get a bike, and I would accept the risk, but after the incident that started this thread, it's harder for me to convince the family that it would be OK (nothing worse that a lil' tot asking you not to get a bike with tears rolling down his cheek).

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 10:49 am
Lakeburn, To say that the

Lakeburn, To say that the slower traffic is causing the accidents because it makes the law-breakers weave in and out of them would be like me taking a rifle to down town for some target practice, then blaming the people standing in the way for getting shot. That’s absurd. All you are doing is rationalizing your speeding with a made-up “fact.” I’m sure you can’t back that statement up with any real information.

liloleme
liloleme 03/28/07 - 11:19 am
The point is---if I am in the

The point is---if I am in the 'fast' lane doing the appointed speed limit---You don't have the right to act like an idiot---get mad---weave around --- flip me off---when -I- am the one obeying the law. I don't have to move over!

kiddspur
kiddspur 03/28/07 - 11:42 am
If you don't like my driving

If you don't like my driving stay off the sidewalk!!!!

fergie01
fergie01 03/28/07 - 11:47 am
moving over to the slower

moving over to the slower lane of traffic is being considerate. if someone wants to speed,just get out of their way. no big deal. what i can't stand is to be on bobby jones and riding side by side 10 deep because someone just won't move over for the simple reason it is polite. maybe that person behind you has an emergency. who knows. don't let it get to you just move over.

kiddspur
kiddspur 03/28/07 - 11:52 am
On a recent trip home from

On a recent trip home from Nashville, Tn, the road signs said trucks right lane, thru traffic - center lane; left lane for passing- I got in the center lane and drove 70 it was amazing at the number of people that passed me waving that I was a Number 1 driver -- gosh they were frinedly.

ForHim
ForHim 03/28/07 - 11:52 am
Here are some interesting

Here are some interesting facts:
OCGA § 40-6-40. (a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, ..(d) No two vehicles shall impede the normal flow of traffic by traveling side by side at the same time while in adjacent lanes, provided that this Code section shall not be construed to prevent vehicles traveling side by side in adjacent lanes because of congested traffic conditions. OCGA § 40-6-42. Overtaking a vehicle on the left. The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions, and special rules stated in this article:
(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle; and
(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 03/28/07 - 11:58 am
bel.chick. I know that there

bel.chick. I know that there are safe motorcycle riders. I have friends who are "Christian Riders for Jesus". I appriciate the fact that you and your family ride together. I know there are those, who are responsible riders. But, it is hard to think about them when you see more riders acting like fools.

gofigure1
gofigure1 03/28/07 - 12:01 pm
Why should someone who is

Why should someone who is obeying the LAW have to be polite? Why can't those that are not obeying the LAW go the speed limit? If you want everyone in the "right" lane, then please build everything on the right. I am so tired of the tailgating. If you want to know why your car insurance is so high, thank your fellow drivers! No one and I mean no one has the right to endanger my family's lives or mine. Obey the law. Simple.

whyme
whyme 03/28/07 - 12:02 pm
I do feel bad for the family

I do feel bad for the family whose son died from the bus. Right away, tho, people want to blame the driver. This was not the first time the bus went down there. If they were that irritated about it coming there, they should have blocked the road ages ago. In addition, if anything, the mother should be held accountable, as well she will in her own heart for not having a closer rein on her child. I am sure I would feel devastated if my child died in sucha manner but I would have to take responsibility. It is truly a tragedy but blame , if any, should not fall on the driver.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 03/28/07 - 12:07 pm
Did anyone see all the patrol

Did anyone see all the patrol cars on Riverwatch Pky this morning? T ey had them lined up and ready to stop the speeders in the lanes going downtown. They need to line up on the other side of Riverwatch and catch the same cars heading back the other way this afternoon.I see some things on Riverwatch that scare me to death!

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 12:08 pm
n/a

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 12:08 pm
and what is sad you don't

and what is sad you don't even know you are doing it

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 12:09 pm
If you are't going then don't

If you are't going then don't go but shut the hell up. for once

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 03/28/07 - 12:15 pm
To the person complaining

To the person complaining about the kids basketball goals, Get a life. If the kids get out of the road when cars are coming, what is the big deal? At least they are doing something other than getting into trouble. If you would rather them break into you house or hurt someone, then maybe you could then complain about that. Get a job or go play with them!!!!!!!

KingJames
KingJames 03/28/07 - 12:20 pm
For the people complaining

For the people complaining about how much it costs for the dinner to honor Dr. Larke, you're not going anyway, so why does it matter to you? Only those interested in attending should care about the price. The money just might be used to defray the costs of the dining hall, caterer, and entertainment. If you've ever hosted an event, then you would know that those things don't come free or cheap. Finally, you all forget nothing and act as if you've never done anything that may have been a bit questionable. I'm not defending Dr. Larke at all. I am only saying that if someone else does support him and wishes to give him $35 or even $1 million, let them because it's their choice. It is obvious that you don't support him. The really sad part about this is that 50 years from now you all will still be talking about what he may or may not have done.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 12:25 pm
That's good research DON1. I

That's good research DON1. I notice that it never said you have the right to exceed the speed limit while passing. I tend to stay to the right when I can. But it is nonsense to imply the people obeying the law are the one's causing accidents.

shygirlj
shygirlj 03/28/07 - 12:30 pm
you know -- you don't HAVE to

you know -- you don't HAVE to get over to the right if you don't want to. you don't HAVE to look out for other drivers or motorcycles. you don't HAVE to be polite on the road. but doing all these things just might save your life -- or someone else's. Let's be real, here. People aren't going to stop speeding just cuz you don't like it -- it's against the law and people still do it. People aren't going to get out of your way just cuz you want them to -- sometimes, not even if you lean on your horn. You might be in the right -- but there IS such a thing as dead right.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 12:31 pm
You notice that it only eats

You notice that it only eats them up and they become obsessed with hate when it is a black person. Everyone else gets a pass ie Tom Beck, and his Beer man

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 12:33 pm
Larke, Larke, Larke...OJ, OJ,

Larke, Larke, Larke...OJ, OJ, OJ------------Repairations, repairations repairatons...affirmative action, affirmative action, affirmative action. I agree....let it go.

owensjef
owensjef 03/28/07 - 12:34 pm
I will get over 30 years of

I will get over 30 years of Affirmative action , if you will get over 400 years of it. Kpc when will you learn that apples does not have anythig to do with oranges. I knew you would jump in and keep the race baiting going.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 12:35 pm
You started it!

You started it!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 12:35 pm
You started it! How many

You started it! How many jobs have you personnaly been legaly discriminated against getting?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 12:37 pm
Personally I missed out on 2

Personally I missed out on 2 promotions, because there were the company did not have close enough to their goal for minorities. Not because I didn't meet the qualifications, just because I wasn't a minority. If you hire, promote, etc soley on qualifications...how could that not be fair?