Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I HAVE A BIG RANT for the people who put their kids' basketball goals up in the road (or facing the road). Also, kids these days need to learn respect for others' things. My yard is not your dumping ground. and I'm getting really tired of picking it up.

THIS MAY SEEM heartless to some, but probably "duh" to most: What kind of mother lets her child "run" after a moving school bus? Didn't this mother learn anything growing up? Neither the school bus driver nor the person who owns that trailer park is to blame. It is only the mother. You should have known better.

I RECENTLY ATTENDED a meeting in Columbia County. At that meeting, a gentleman dressed as Uncle Sam stood up and did a reading on the American flag. It is the comment he made prior to the reading that I find offensive. He commented that unfortunately it was written by a "Northerner." Is this not the Bible Belt? When will Southerners stop fighting the Civil War?

MILITARY SEX ASSAULTS increase, and it's to be expected from a politically correct military that pours females into the same mold as males, has them bunking together on Navy ships, etc. The obvious solution is to go back to the old way - the way that won wars.

TICKETS NOW ON sale, at $35 a pop, for a dinner to "honor" Charles Larke. Since neither a hall nor a caterer can possibly cost that much, who gets the bulk of the money? Will Larke continue to find willing suckers? He's a pretty amazing guy, in a negative way.

SLOW DOWN. This is a rant for all of the drivers who do not take the time to stop and look for oncoming traffic. Motorcyclists have a right to the road as well as automobiles, and I am tired of reading about motorcyclists who are killed because people do not take the time to stop and look. We have lost too many good people to hasty drivers. Please be extra cautious because the next time, it may be your friend instead of mine.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

garydman
garydman 03/27/07 - 11:14 pm
This is a HUGE RANT for all

This is a HUGE RANT for all you tater tot heads out there who have nothing better to do than judge others in our community during their times of tragedy. Enough already! Back to your soap operas and bon bons.

owensjef
owensjef 03/27/07 - 11:43 pm
Good observation Garydman,

Good observation Garydman, what you smoking on. lol

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 03/27/07 - 11:46 pm
Sorry, but I have seen too

Sorry, but I have seen too many people on motor cycles doing stupid thing. Driving in and out of cars, no blinkers, passing on the right shoulder of the road and driving between cars. They take too many chances and most go to fast. They cause wrecks. I think they should take time to stop and look, the same as everyone else. You can point your finger at car drivers, but the other four are pointed at you.

owensjef
owensjef 03/27/07 - 11:49 pm
Oh my God call the army

Oh my God call the army Charles Larke an educator for 40 years is having a farewell for 35 dollars he must be stealing. Get over it the man is gone , he may still have some friends and colleagues who want to pay there respects

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 03/27/07 - 11:59 pm
Tuesday I stopped at a red

Tuesday I stopped at a red light on HWY #78. The funeral for the young officer who died last week. There had to be at least 150 police cars and motorcycles going to the funeral, with their lights flashing off and on. It was such an awsome sight.

gsi22990
gsi22990 03/28/07 - 01:10 am
I ride motorcycles every day.

I ride motorcycles every day. Yes there are a fair share of motorcycle riders who do not obey proper traffic laws, but there are just as many people in cars who do the same. I am by no means condoning their actions, but please be observant of those of us to do obey the laws. In this day everyone is in such a hurry, but if you take the time to slow down and look at your surroundings you just might save a life.

jamesj
jamesj 03/28/07 - 02:22 am
AmericanRose ........count

AmericanRose ........count the car drivers you see on cell phones on your next ride ...anywhere you go. While your at it count the motorcycle riders on cell phones. A motorcycle can accelerate twice as fast as a car, its more agile, and it can stop 2-3 times faster than a car. Yes there are aggressive riders, but when a car pulls out in front of you...or changes lanes on top of you... You almost never hear of a bike pulling out in front of a car, or running into one changing lanes. Check the numbers at least 95% of motorcycle vs. auto accidents are the auto driver’s fault. I have been riding 31 years, and aggressive riding maneuvers have saved my life many a day.

Truckguy
Truckguy 03/28/07 - 04:00 am
American Rose, I too was

American Rose, I too was stopped at the intersection of Pleasant Home Rd. and Wasington Rd. It was quite a display. I was very moved by the show of all the flashing lights, etc. I even saw a lady standing at attention on the sidewalk. I don't know how many totals cars were in the procession, but I counted 162. What a spectacle!

Martinez
Martinez 03/28/07 - 04:36 am
How many friends could

How many friends could Charles Larke really have? He just came into a nice sum of money, let it be his treat for once.

local girl
local girl 03/28/07 - 04:51 am
You are right,you can't put

You are right,you can't put men and woman together,because men have no self control

jack
jack 03/28/07 - 05:50 am
I have to agree that the Army

I have to agree that the Army should follow the Marines policies of separate accomodations and training for men and women. The "mixing" of the genders has created many problems, costs millions and one has to wonder why sexaul assaults under the current conditions are on the rise, especially in an area like the ME where local women can not associzte with our troops.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 03/28/07 - 06:03 am
$35 a plate? If anyone pays

$35 a plate? If anyone pays that to listen to him toot his own horm then he still is stealing. "Hey I change the criteria for students to take the S.A.T., so it looks like our scores ar going up but really its just the number of students taking the test is going down" "I had a fabulous football stadium built for Laney High School, did you hear how much we paid Marion Williams to move his 12 member church? Over $300,000.00 and then we paid $12,000.00 for the people who didnt know they could go to arbitration to get more money! Who's going to be able to buy a house for 12,000? Nobody! Ha Ha"

Yea he needs a farewell dinner.

thrilled to hear
thrilled to hear 03/28/07 - 06:10 am
I find it funny when I ask

I find it funny when I ask for unsweetened tea. I got thrown in my face, YANKEE. I only remind him who won the war. That normally keeps the conversation to a minimuim after that.

DCFONE
DCFONE 03/28/07 - 06:13 am
Motercycles vs cars vs people

Motercycles vs cars vs people vs . And on and on. It all boils down to respect or lack of it. Just not much of that going around anymore.

what
what 03/28/07 - 06:51 am
gsi22990, you make it sound

gsi22990, you make it sound like car drivers should ONLY watch for the motocycles who obey the law. HELLO are you dense?!?! Does that mean that it is OK to pull out in front of the other motorcycle riders? Or in front of the car drivers who are on their cell phones or putting on makeup, etc. NO!! If EVERYONE watched where they were driving/riding then maybe there would be a lot less car vs. motorcycle accidents.

what
what 03/28/07 - 06:52 am
Oh..and FYI my brother was

Oh..and FYI my brother was riding his motorcycle within the speed limits and not stunting or cutting traffic, etc. and a car pulled across 2 lanes in front of him. He had no time to stop or manuever around him. He was lucky in that he only broke his leg and had bumps and bruises. But it happened b/c the person in the car wasn't paying attention.

liloleme
liloleme 03/28/07 - 07:02 am
Here's a tip: The "fast" lane

Here's a tip: The "fast" lane wasn't named that so you could go past the speed limit. If the limit is 40 and I am doing between 40-45--I do NOT have to pull over into the "slow" lane---just so you can do 60. You still have to obey the signs.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 07:10 am
I'm sure there will be those

I'm sure there will be those that say you must keep to the right if you are slower traffic because the sign says "slower traffic keep right." I hear that argument all the time. But that argument only comes from those who like to pick and choose which law they can break and which one they can obey. I agree with you liloleme, if you are going the speed limit, there is no LEGAL traffic faster than you, so you are under no obligation to move. Those who feel they must go faster are just selfish and feel that their time is more valuable than any others.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 03/28/07 - 07:14 am
I have been riding 40 years &

I have been riding 40 years & yes it would be nice if cars would watch out for us, but the only thing I can really count on is my years of experience & reading the people & their actions around me. Most of the MC Riders that get killed or, are in accidents are young or inexperienced. The power of motorcycles can be used to the riders advantage to HELP stay out of harms way, but in a novice's hands the oppsite, it gets them into serious & deadly situations. I currently own my 57th motorcycle & every year since being a child the MC's have become faster & faster which I love & know how to use it's power but in the wrong hands it kills. Everyone loves to pull the trigger on todays Super Bikes which most go 100mph in first gear which is awsome but novic riders they don't realize the MC will not stop as fast as it accelerates. What I am getting around to is when a driver looks down the road for traffic conditions they may see a MC way down the road but in so many cases because of the very quick acceleration of the MC's who are speeding when the car pulls out all of a sudden the MC is on top of them which causes deaths. Distance & speed..he gap closes way quicker that a driver can judge.

localman
localman 03/28/07 - 07:15 am
New topic: What are you doing

New topic: What are you doing for Spring Break. Going out of town? Going to the Masters?

dthompson
dthompson 03/28/07 - 07:25 am
Several days ago I was

Several days ago I was driving next to a woman that was driving her car and reading the newspaper. We were not stopped at a redlight. She had the paper open across the steering wheel and was looking down. How stupid can you be to think you can read and pay attention to the road? I quickly got far away from her. If she had hit my new car........she would have had that paper for a meal.

garydman
garydman 03/28/07 - 07:25 am
Rewired....War doesn't

Rewired....War doesn't determine who is right, it only determines who is left...

just me
just me 03/28/07 - 07:26 am
why are yall so worried about

why are yall so worried about the charles larke dinner you act like he asked you to come GET OVER IT !!!!!!

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 03/28/07 - 07:53 am
Yeah I had that arguement too

Yeah I had that arguement too until my southern born husband reminded me. He said "Yeah baby but look who sold Manhattan for $24.00! LOL Then I had to remind him that I'm of Portuguese decent and it was the Indians that sold it not us! You got to love the south and all it's charm but I still love being a "Damn Yankee"!!! Oh yeah and by the way, I like my tea hot with cream and sugar!!!!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/28/07 - 08:03 am
Spring break 2007!!!!! I'm

Spring break 2007!!!!! I'm gonna go to the Masters and drink beer outta plastic cups and eat green bag sandwiches! Then I'm gonna go down to the SoulBar and do body shots off of Coco Rubio's belly! Then we're all gonna go streeking down Broad St. through the Commons and on to Riverwalk! Everybody's doing it! Bring your green jacket!

bel.chick
bel.chick 03/28/07 - 08:18 am
AmericanRose my Mother and

AmericanRose my Mother and Father ride on Motorcycles. And not everyone rides stupid. I would appreciate for my family and for my sake that people pay attention. I also ride with my friends and family.... So please take the time. Its one second....just look...

garydman
garydman 03/28/07 - 08:26 am
How about we make it a felony

How about we make it a felony for anyone who hires, houses or helps illegal aliens.

imdstuf
imdstuf 03/28/07 - 08:37 am
The left lane is for passing.

The left lane is for passing. We need law enforcement on the roads like the Germans. If you get in the left lane to pass someone, they make sure you pass then get back to the right. They also emphasis distance between cars more than speeding. We certainly do not have emphasis on this, and I will admit I probably get closer to the car in front of me than I was trained to in drivers ed. Whether you are going 70 or 40, not having enough room to stop before running into the person in front of you causes alot of accidents.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/28/07 - 08:51 am
Just remember imdstuf, that

Just remember imdstuf, that if you exceed the speed limit, even if you are passing, you are just as guilty as the person who is driving in the passing lane that isn't passing. You can't pick and choose the laws you want to obey.

AsItIs
AsItIs 03/28/07 - 08:58 am
$35 a pop to "appreciate" Dr

$35 a pop to "appreciate" Dr Larke?
Who orgainzed this? I thought Charles Walker was still in jail...
To the MC riders: Ya'll are hard to see, even with your headlights on, sometimes....and I'm looking for you....my dad rides and I'd hate to run over him!