Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

NOT BEING FROM the South, I am wondering if it is a status symbol to have the most unlicensed and inoperative vehicles in your yard.

I HAVE TO GIVE a rave to the Fox 54 News at 10 anchors, as well as the weathermen. They give me a pleasant ending to my day with their lighthearted reporting and banter. It's nice to go to bed after having a good chuckle rather than the gloom and doom from regular news reporting.

A RANT FOR ALL judges out there who don't put the wellbeing of children first when they keep giving mothers on drugs chance after chance while the fathers play baby sitter. Fathers have rights, too, and the child has a right to a safe and happy life!

THIS ADMINISTRATION IS plenty arrogant. They don't need any arrogance lesson from your editor (The "Kick Me" Administration). Not only does the president appoint U.S. attorneys at his pleasure, he even takes us to war at his pleasure.

JUST WONDERING WHY no one who actually is in support of Tom Beck was given a chance to weigh in. Mr. Beck is a diplomatic, educated and a well-respected member of the recreation profession. No one else is more qualified as the director of that department, but Tom Beck. Maybe the ones pointing the fingers at him should be looked into for their behavior on the job.

TO THE POOR gentlemen with the $300 gas bill: Yes, the gas companies are completely unsympathetic about bills. But also check to make sure someone did not tap onto your gas lines somehow. After three months of several hundred dollars extra of gas, I finally got someone from the gas company to check and they noted a line was "connected" to mine. But the gas company refused to do anything about the other person, even though in tapping into my line, the other person skipped having paid hook-up charges, etc. I had to pay to have the other person unconnected. And I had to go through legal channels to persuade this thief to pay off those hundreds of dollars back to me. Good luck!

IF TOM BECK IS to be punished, why not Robert Howard? Howard's the second in command. Also the one who had tried to use free labor for (former state Sen. Charles) Walker's fish fry - a private affair, where Walker had to be charged back for the labor costs. Why isn't the second in command involved at all?

ON THE SPIRIT CREEK ROAD area there was some road work done, and for some dumb reason, the manhole covers have been raised so high, it's terrible, I guess the city of Augusta wants to get sued for this because if someone hits one of these manhole covers, it will either bust a tire or really do some serious damage to a vehicle. These things need to get fixed!

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

TransPlanted
TransPlanted 03/19/07 - 04:09 am
Usually when manhole covers

Usually when manhole covers are raised, its in anticipation of where the final level of the paved surface of the road will end up upon completion of the entire project

DCFONE
DCFONE 03/19/07 - 06:01 am
In regard to the manhole

In regard to the manhole covers. Here's a tho't. SLOW DOWN!

Also, the Fox 54 10 pm news is a joy to watch. They don't put the "doom & gloom" face forward like chanel 6. Not much good news anyhow and to make it a funeral procession seems to be the norm. HooRay for Fox 54 10pm news/weather casters.

bubba01
bubba01 03/19/07 - 06:46 am
in regard to the judges, they

in regard to the judges, they don't know anything till they have to deal with dfacs. according to them parents on drugs have more rights than the innocent child that is being mistreated. they give people 24 hrs notice before a drug test. hellooooooooo drug users know how to pass a drug test, especially with 24 hour notice.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/19/07 - 07:42 am
Could someone explain the

Could someone explain the logic of SC's Blue Laws? Why is it I can walk into Wal-mart at 10am on Sunday, purchace food, fishing and boating supplies, and in some counties beer, but I can't purchace a shirt, or for that matter I can't even purchace a Bible untill 1:30?

OKFine
OKFine 03/19/07 - 08:33 am
YAY Fox 54 News!

YAY Fox 54 News!

Jinx_30909
Jinx_30909 03/19/07 - 09:09 am
Could someone explain the

Could someone explain the thoughtlessness of other people to me? My grandmother has rented land from one family for the past 25 years. She's improved the land by planting trees and manicuring the lawn. She has just been informd that she must leave the land within 60 days because it has been sold and if she wants to move her trailer (which she owns) they will charge her $2300 to move it. She has had cancer surgery this past year and is still not doing well. I wonder what happened to loyalty for your customers.

mommie2
mommie2 03/19/07 - 09:14 am
n/a

whatever1
whatever1 03/19/07 - 09:21 am
I have often wondered at what

I have often wondered at what point does someone decide--let's park several junk cars in the yard!! Near my house someone has about 8 of them around the doublewide--why not sell them to the junk yard--I mean a couple of bucks beats just letting them rust in the yard.
Oh and they were not from the South--moved from New York state.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 03/19/07 - 09:44 am
I have traveled all over the

I have traveled all over the world and the South is not the only place you see junk cars...the worst places were New York....Boston....South Bend ....and Manchester England....so take your raggity self back up to where you came from...at least here we can let the kudzu grow over them and cover them up !!!"ya'll.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 03/19/07 - 09:49 am
The irony of it all is that

The irony of it all is that they persecut some people yet others have numerous cars on their property for years! My dad recently passed away, leaving his antique car in my driveway. The vehicle runs, has insurance, and is in pristine condition. There is also a car cover over it. No...it is not being used daily, but is driven somewhat every couple of weeks to keep everything running properly, as well as regular oil changes, etc. I came home from work recently and found a notice from the Marshall's Dept that they were there to pick up the "junk car" in my driveway. I'm very offended over this! Especially since there is a 70's junk van (with the 2 front wheels off) in the driveway of the house next door. I explained this to the officer when I provided him with my proof of insurance, etc...yet he would not check this out. I wonder why this was?

EnoughAlready
EnoughAlready 03/19/07 - 10:02 am
I want to know why so many

I want to know why so many drivers think that the rules of the road apply to everyone BUT them. For the safety of the men and women working on I-20, we are asked to temporarily go 45 miles per hour. If that were your husband, brother, uncle, etc., you would want people to be courteous of their safety. Please slow down on I-20 before you hurt SOMEONE'S brother, uncle, or husband.

Rose
Rose 03/19/07 - 10:11 am
yep my daughter hit one of

yep my daughter hit one of those manholes one night. She could not see that the cover was cocked up on one side. It did damage to her tires and exaust system, and she had to fix it herself. The city said the construction company was at fault. Anyway, she got her money back, but it took awhile. A police report was filed, so she had proof.

NEone
NEone 03/19/07 - 10:17 am
It's the President's

It's the President's prerogative to hire/fire the US attorneys. Clinton fired over 80 of them when he took office. Why didn't the democrats yell about it then? Why does it suddenly seem to be a horrible thing? There's nothing wrong with what Bush did about this one; he's just doing his job.

localman
localman 03/19/07 - 10:19 am
Don't you think that the term

Don't you think that the term "manhole" is sexist? Why not "womanhole" or "accesshole" although "accesshole" could be shortened...

HUH2
HUH2 03/19/07 - 10:19 am
Jinx I really do understand

Jinx I really do understand your plight. I'm sure you've already discovered that loyalty is outweighed by greed and the almighty dollar. Speedy recovery to Grandma and good luck on your move!!

Reality
Reality 03/19/07 - 11:43 am
MH usually stands for

MH usually stands for Maintenance Hole.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/19/07 - 12:52 pm
Jinx, it sure sounds like

Jinx, it sure sounds like your Grandma could use some Legal Aid or some sort of pro bono legal program. There is no loyalty to customers, that is why Walmart is closing a lot of their fabric departments. A lot of small town women only had that one place to buy fabric within an hour's drive. May things work out for your Grandma, and may Walmart lose customers because country women will now buy their groceries closer to home.

KingJames
KingJames 03/19/07 - 12:53 pm
That was funny localman!

That was funny localman!

rjay
rjay 03/19/07 - 12:56 pm
not only do you see a lot of

not only do you see a lot of junk cars, you also need to bust out one of your headlights, have no brake lights, and never,never use a turn signal

owensjef
owensjef 03/19/07 - 01:08 pm
why is Tom Beck being Punish?

why is Tom Beck being Punish? HAHAHAHAHAHAH
I hope you are kidding.

digmick
digmick 03/19/07 - 02:33 pm
NEone, it is standard

NEone, it is standard practice that the incoming President replaces the US attorneys (doesn't matter if the President is of the same party as the previous President) or not.) President Bush replaced the Clinton appointees just as his father replaced President Reagan's appointees. It is less common, but with in the norm, to replace some appointees after a President is reelected. However, it is not common that there are numerous replacements during a mid-term.

wheeza
wheeza 03/19/07 - 03:34 pm
owensjef do you really know

owensjef do you really know Tom Beck or are you just someone who jumps on the bandwagon? Apparently the latter.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/19/07 - 03:48 pm
I'm dissapointed. I was

I'm dissapointed. I was actually hoping someone would attempt to defend the Blue Laws.

hadenough
hadenough 03/19/07 - 03:56 pm
LOL @ kpc That was rich.

LOL @ kpc That was rich.

garydman
garydman 03/19/07 - 04:15 pm
Jinx...It's pretty sad that

Jinx...It's pretty sad that they are doing that to your G-Ma. But it's something that everyone should take note of. There is no loyalty in America anymore, if it doesn't provide profit for someone, then it's a venture better left alone. Noone cares about you and if you leave yourself in a vulnerable position, you too will probably suffer a similar fate. Make no mistake about it there are people in America who have, as their jobs, the task of seeking out and finding those most vulnerable and taking full advantage of them. They can come disguised as bankers, realtors, car dealers, cops, government officials or cloaked in just about any other form of business or public service. When those with the power or money are in a position to make a buck or a name for themselves at your expense, they WILL 100% of the time. Just remember for every dollar you make, there's a million people in America just trying to think up a way to take it from you.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/19/07 - 04:33 pm
Owen has been after Beck for

Owen has been after Beck for a while, but he has not really said why. He for sure did not just jump on the bandwagon. Nepotism must be rampant in a lot of BOE’s. They like to curry favor with the school board by giving jobs to their relatives. I have seen a relative of a school board member get a job that had actually been the duties of another employee. They hired the relative instead of the one already doing the job, who had been promised the opening when it came up. Relatives of school board members should not be hired, period. Most BOE’s have their hiring process set up so they can easily manipulate who can apply. They throw your tax money around like it was Mardi Gras candy.

owensjef
owensjef 03/19/07 - 04:53 pm
Tom Beck , hey I am just

Tom Beck , hey I am just following the news reports. Mr. Holland A commisionor also has came out and said the guy should be fired. Why do I have to know him, He is a public figure his mistakes are on the news. Do you know Bill Clinton, George Bush or Marion Williams?

owensjef
owensjef 03/19/07 - 04:56 pm
If Marion Barnes is doing

If Marion Barnes is doing what you have said, and I have heard this also then of course he should have to deal with those mistakes. I go after Tom Beck on this post because no one else does, This post only goes after certain people.

wheeza
wheeza 03/19/07 - 05:09 pm
Oh my Gosh if a county

Oh my Gosh if a county commisionor said he should be fired then I guess you are right, because they are doing such a great job. HA! Who are "certain people"?

owensjef