Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

CAN YOU BELIEVE that the McDuffie County Board of Education did not fire the superintendent when he admitted to buying plane tickets for his wife with the school's funding? I bet this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I WOULD LIKE TO PUT in a rave for the downtown Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center. It is very clean; the service is excellent; and I thank them very, very much.

I UNDERSTAND how the people who were concerned about their Georgia Power bills feel. That is bad, but what about Georgia Natural Gas bills? In one month's time, my bill jumped up $300. After numerous calls, they said they would divide the $300 into three payments over three months. I am a senior citizen, and I live alone. I try and be very conservative about my utilities, and there is no way I could have used over $300 worth of gas in those few weeks. They say to pay it, or they'll cut the gas off.

AN INVESTIGATION of the FBI for spying on private citizens has been called for. Has anyone heard George Bush say that people elected him to protect us and he is going to do so?

THREE CHEERS for the three groundskeepers of Westview Cemetery. Even though they are few in number, they have done a great job this spring.

MEDICAL COLLEGE of Georgia, please stay in Augusta and continue to build in Augusta.

I WOULD LIKE to request that when the new dental school is built that they give the patients a little more privacy. Nothing's more disgusting and disheartening than to have a gentleman looking at you with no teeth and you looking back with no teeth either. It's degrading, so give us a little bit more privacy.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK the nice gentleman who paid for my lunch at the S&S Cafeteria on Walton Way. It was a very nice gesture.

THIS IS FOR ALL the puppies and kittens out there that are unwanted. Someone should get them together and advertise them. Do it when they are smaller and cuter.

WELL, I'VE HEARD everything! Someone thinks that DUI penalties should be based on income, and that is ridiculous. That is going to scare a lot of people.

jdcooper
jdcooper 03/15/07 - 02:42 am
Cause I said so!

Cause I said so!

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 03/15/07 - 03:29 am
kutbuddy the answer to all

kutbuddy the answer to all your whys can be summed up in two words:

Augusta Commission

Chad
Chad 03/15/07 - 04:50 am
You can not have big city

You can not have big city ways as long as things are managed by small town mentallity.

asoldier
asoldier 03/15/07 - 04:54 am
LOL Jdcooper your answer is

LOL Jdcooper your answer is as good as any I guess.

paintedhorse
paintedhorse 03/15/07 - 05:20 am
Hi, I sent a msg earlier

Hi,
I sent a msg earlier about the FACE Program. A low cost spay/neuter clinic for dogs/cats. Did you get my message and do you have any information about this? Ther feral cat program would be great for lock N Dam. Trap, neuter/spay, and release the cats back into the area. They keep the rodent population down and they do not multiply.

pops1
pops1 03/15/07 - 05:25 am
kutbuddy....you can't have

kutbuddy....you can't have what you desire and ask for you because you don't know how to act when you get it....you want everything white fol have and columbia county got, but look how you treated it all when you had it...look at your mall, look at your schools, look at the jails...then talk some more of what you want

NEone
NEone 03/15/07 - 05:53 am
Why do white folks hate

Why do white folks hate Marion Williams so much? Is that a rhetorical question? Just look at how he acts! He has an ego the size of Manhattan and wants our undying appreciation for his long-winded political sermons. Get a life, Marion!

kiddspur
kiddspur 03/15/07 - 05:57 am
KUTBUDDY -- Sounds like you

KUTBUDDY -- Sounds like you might be in for a long day -- The old saying is "Cheer up it could be worse -- I cheered up and sure enough it got worse!"

MartinezMom
MartinezMom 03/15/07 - 06:09 am
"Why Blacks and Whites can't

"Why Blacks and Whites can't get along in Augusta?"
I'm white & i Have many black friends.
"Why do the folks in columbia county think they are so much better than us in Richmond county?"
I don't think I'm better, I just chose to live in Columbia County because he crime rate is lower.
"Why we can't have a race track in Augusta but we can have golf."
There are several golf courses in Richmond County.
"Why we can't have top paying jobs here?
Because there aren't enough well educated people to fill them.
Why don't the big acts come here anymore?"
Because somone doesn't know how to manage the civic center.
"Why do the folks from South Carolina drive so bad?"
They don't drive any worse than the folks in GA.
"Why do you white folks hate Marion Williams so much?"
Because he doesn't know how to do his job... Not because he is black.
"What is taking so long for our city to grown?"
Richmond County gets worse, not better. Why would people choose to live in a bad place?
"Why we can't buy beer on Sunday?"
I don't know. This was always a silly law to me.
"Why Why Why can someone tell me why?"
Does this answer your questions?

OKFine
OKFine 03/15/07 - 06:19 am
Very well articulated

Very well articulated MartinezMom.

alias1
alias1 03/15/07 - 06:55 am
I still believe we should

I still believe we should have the racetrack in Augusta. I think it would be a good way to UP the income to this "armpit" of Georgia.

reruns
reruns 03/15/07 - 07:25 am
I am white and I grew up in

I am white and I grew up in Richmond County. I have been living in Columbia County. I thought that Columbia County would be a better place to live and raise my children. I was wrong. There is crime in Columbia County and the "Columbia Countians" they act that way to everyone(trying not to pick it up). As far as bad drivers they should make everyone over the age of 70 retake their driving test every year, stricter laws on teenage drivers. Even me at 31 I get scared on the road(old people that can't drive swurving into my lane). The Civic Center is a joke, my money will no longer be spent there. The Augusta Commision I blame the voters.. you voted for them. Change starts with us. Vote, teach your children not to hate and obey the law and move again like we are planning to do.

a2
a2 03/15/07 - 08:06 am
blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah....

Everyday it's the same old thing. Same questions, same answers same people responding.

Can schmucks hold a meaningful conversation? The answer is no.

getalife
getalife 03/15/07 - 08:07 am
I agree with the rant about

I agree with the rant about the Mcduffie Board of Education for not firing the superintendent for using taxpayer's money for his wife's plane fare and her admission to a conference. There is also the question of the undocumented $49,000.00. What was that spent on? Where there is smoke, there is fire!!!!!!!

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 03/15/07 - 08:20 am
Anyone who wants the Drag

Anyone who wants the Drag Strip in Augusta come forward with your name and address so we can be sure to build it right next to your bedroom window.

localman
localman 03/15/07 - 08:27 am
What about if everyone who is

What about if everyone who is caught DUI is given a kitten or dog along with their ticket?

reruns
reruns 03/15/07 - 08:29 am
I grew up with a race car

I grew up with a race car being built in our shop as a young girl. Nothing like racing to bring a family together. Many nights spent with aunts, uncles, cousins and friends working on tge race car. Sure built it next to my house in Columbia County instead of a bunch of snobs in a crowded neighborhood mucking up traffic.

reruns
reruns 03/15/07 - 08:30 am
The DUI losers should be made

The DUI losers should be made to help build the race track next to my house too.

tremayne
tremayne 03/15/07 - 08:46 am
I'm a patient @ the VA

I'm a patient @ the VA podiatry clinic downtown . I go there for my appt & there are always patients in there complaining about the time its takes to be seen. i just listen an hold my peace. but i would like to give a rave for the clinic always clean, and to the courteous staff, DR Kean, Courtney. Faye and MS Ballard (the receptionist)

AsItIs
AsItIs 03/15/07 - 08:57 am
Soon as they get a race

Soon as they get a race track, the city will have to buy him a car! I can see it now! Bid Daddy Rat mobile (retired city bus tricked-out) with Marion at the wheel....draggin' through Augusta!

liloleme
liloleme 03/15/07 - 09:15 am
You know everyday I get up

You know everyday I get up and read in the news about how another child has been abused, tortured, murdered, taken away from their homes---treated worse than you would treat a house pet. Then I come in here and read the rants--- and think how petty all of this really is in the big scheme of things. Very sad.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 03/15/07 - 09:22 am
Why Blacks and Whites can't

Why Blacks and Whites can't get along in Augusta?

We can and do, media outlets like to show the anomolies, not the norm.

They dont.

Why we can't have a race track in Augusta but we can have golf.

Golf is a quiet sport, and privately owned in most cases.

Why we can't have top paying jobs here?

The cost of living is low, so the pay is relative.

Why don't the big acts come here anymore?

Money and a small venue.

Why do the folks from South Carolina drive so bad?

Everyone drives bad,except me.

Why do you white folks hate Marion Williams so much?

Everyone should hate Marion Williams, he is pompous and a cheat.

What is taking so long for our city to grown?

Education

Why we can't buy beer on Sunday?

Sunday is the Lords day. Buy more on Saturday.

Why Why Why can someone tell me why?

Nope

AikenCo
AikenCo 03/15/07 - 10:06 am
I have a rant for all the pet

I have a rant for all the pet owners that walk there dogs in the City of Aiken, who do not see in necessary to bring a pooper scooper!! Please pick up after your dogs!!!

dani
dani 03/15/07 - 10:11 am
I can't understand why Khalid

I can't understand why Khalid MOhammed says he did all those terrible things when every idiot out there knows that George Bush did it ALL!
(ahem)

ForHim
ForHim 03/15/07 - 10:18 am
Good answers, unbelievable.

Good answers, unbelievable. Especially about top paying jobs and buying beer on Sunday (all we need is another weekend night for people to get drunk on). But for the record, I don't drive badly either.

rt1523c
rt1523c 03/15/07 - 10:29 am
Let's build the race track

Let's build the race track next to the courthouse, move animal control there as well, then we can have all the DUI people race South Carolina drivers down the track while kitties and puppy dogs are released. Either this will reduce the population of unwanted animals, or reduce the population of DUI offenders and bad drivers as they crash into the wall after swerving to avoid the animals. Of course this is absurd; I just didn't feel like whining.

reruns
reruns 03/15/07 - 10:35 am
I love America. The only

I love America. The only place for eveyone to have an opinion.

HGGP
HGGP 03/15/07 - 10:44 am
Let's not talk about why

Let's not talk about why people in SC can't drive. How about some people from Columbia County. Three times this month I have had to travel up that way. The first time 3 different CC drivers almost side swiped us. The second time a CC driver almost T-boned us. The third time a CC driver almost side swiped us again. None of them were on their cell phone so that was not an excuse. My children and I always look to see where their tag says they are from. We make unwagered bets on them being from CC. It is so ridiculous. Is it that they don't know how to drive or are they just that snobby and careless to the point where they don't care about anyone elses well being. What is it with CC drivers?????????

intheknow
intheknow 03/15/07 - 10:50 am
no bommers. it was

no bommers. it was clinton's.(ahem)

sweetpeapenny
sweetpeapenny 03/15/07 - 10:52 am
MartinezMom, what defines a

MartinezMom, what defines a well educated person? Is it an Associate, Bachelor, Master, etc?

Census: Augusta young adults struggling

A new report shows that young adults in the area today are better educated and on average, earn more money than 30 years ago, but are far more likely to be unemployed, unmarried and living with ...