Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND this call for an apology from the state for slavery. First, the state did nothing wrong; the people who ran it did. Second, the people who need to be apologized to are probably no longer alive, and the people who need to do the apologizing probably aren't alive either.

RANT TO THE TRAFFIC engineer who changed the traffic lights between North Leg and Barton Chapel on Wrightsboro Road. You did this after Christmas; the traffic backs up bad. You expect it to back up at rush hour when people are going to and coming from work - but Saturdays at lunch? The traffic backs up bad. Maybe you should go check it out on Saturday.

bone
bone 03/14/07 - 05:03 am
I apologize for the overtly

I apologize for the overtly racist comment I'm about to make: is it REMOTELY possible that because of slavery blacks should be grateful to be in American and not in Africa? True, blacks who are in Africa now are thankful to have never been enslaved; but they are also not able to enjoy the priviledge of American citizenship like blacks in the U.S. From this perspective, I would agree with anyone who desires an apology and I'd be willing to make the apology personally to whoever needs to hear it. My condition is that upon acceptance of the apology, the recipient immediately resigns their U.S. citizenship and departs for their country of origin. No, they shouldn't have to leave empty handed: I'd be glad to cough up $100,000 to sponsor one expatriate and I'm sure every person that is sick of hearing about apologies and reparations would be willing to do the same. Again, I apologize for these incredibly racist sentiments - I'm just sick of hearing about all the bad that has gone on in the lives of blacks when they fail to acknowledge that their situation would be very different if they were still in their country of origin.

Martinez
Martinez 03/14/07 - 05:35 am
I can relate to your

I can relate to your frustration. Augusta is not very diverse but having lived in a larger city, I have met people who have migrated with not much more then the cloths on their backs and watched them seize the endless opportunities available in the US. It's hard to swallow that those born here can't do the same. I too am sorry for what happened in the past but struggle to find sympathy for those who currently limit their own potential under guise of believing they are owed.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 03/14/07 - 06:11 am
Caution: Opened can of worms!

Caution: Opened can of worms!

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 03/14/07 - 06:15 am
I would think the apology is

I would think the apology is not simply for slavery per se, but for the way our people were treated, which was HORRIBLE and unnecessary.

getalife
getalife 03/14/07 - 06:21 am
We can change the flag, we

We can change the flag, we can apologize for something that happened 150 to 200 years ago, but it will make nothing better for black Americans. We cannot change history and make it any different. Slavery was and still is a horrible thing to happen to anyone. It is senseless to hang on to every excuse that can be thought of and keep your race suppressed. A person can never accomplish their potential if they always hang on to an excuse for not being able to reach that potential!! You will never reach your goal when you are continuously looking back.

NYnative
NYnative 03/14/07 - 06:22 am
This is getting ridiculous,

This is getting ridiculous, if they want an apology, I want one too. I am of Dutch descent, and we were put into slavery by the British in the United States (it was New Amsterdam at the time). History is just that, history. Everyone will admit that slavery was a bad time in our country, but accept it, deal with it, be grateful we don't have it anymore, and move on.

CSRAider
CSRAider 03/14/07 - 06:26 am
I understand an apology

I understand an apology should be made but not just to blacks. I think their was an mistake made and the apology should be to the entire country. The apology should be about the greedyness of our USbuisnesses. It was cheep labor color had nothing to do with it. Think about it if the Mexican Country was in the condition then as it is now, I think the story would be different. Horse of a different color!!! is still a horse it would just speak spanish.

footstepstoglory
footstepstoglory 03/14/07 - 06:30 am
YankeesFan, if you think your

YankeesFan, if you think your people were treated bad, why are they still treating mine this way and it never changed. Remember the trail of tears?? You think that is bad, we still don't get respect and shoved onto grounds that the government no longer wants and is no good for food anyway to get their greed on money.
So before wanting that apology, we want one too!

NYnative
NYnative 03/14/07 - 06:39 am
Respect is not something that

Respect is not something that is given due to a certain set of circumstances, it must be earned. If you want the respect, then go out there and do something that is deserving of said respect. Sitting around whining that you need apologies, or that the government owes me this and that because of something that happened and ended nearly 150 years ago is just ludicrous. I understand that there are still race issues in this country, but the stance that you are owed something is not going to get you the respect you feel you owed or deserved.

peonynut
peonynut 03/14/07 - 06:50 am
Has anyone noticed that the

Has anyone noticed that the SUV driving through the mall has gotten more local coverage and more national coverage that the sice person who was employed by Blanchard & Calhoun and now has 70 counts of child molestion charged against him? Oh shoot, I just answered my own question. B&C is probably squashing it because he was dating one of their own.

christian134
christian134 03/14/07 - 06:59 am
The racist card has been

The racist card has been played one to many times. It no longer works and quite frankly it is just down right stupid to keep up the rehortic any longer. With all the evil in this world this just does not rate anywhere on what is important list. People just need to take the time to figure out that what is needed are for people to work, raise their own families, live quite clean lives instead of living off the system and the people who do work and pay taxes.

a2
a2 03/14/07 - 07:00 am
Hi YankeesFan whats up? Go

Hi YankeesFan
whats up? Go to TMZ.com for radical conversation.

amazed1
amazed1 03/14/07 - 07:04 am
whine,whine,whine,giveme,give

whine,whine,whine,giveme,giveme,giveme, what happened to forgive and forget?

localman
localman 03/14/07 - 07:07 am
Just going over my "Who to

Just going over my "Who to Apologize To From 1700-1900" list": Let's see...Indians (we took the whole indian nation, put them on this reservation), British Soldiers (dang we killed a lot of them), slaves, women (my god, they couldn't even vote!), England (sorry about the tea party)....whew, cell phone bill is gonna be big this month.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 03/14/07 - 07:25 am
Hey footstepstoglory what are

Hey footstepstoglory what are you telling ME for? Please don't start posting messages to me as if I'M the one asking for an apology. And if you are of a certain people that want an apology, then go ahead and ask for one. Geeesh!

HGGP
HGGP 03/14/07 - 07:26 am
You know speaking of

You know speaking of apologies...why should I (we) apologize for something that happened long before many of us were born. That happened in the past, build a bridge and GET OVER IT. I (we) can not be held accountable for what our fore fathers did. That was the way of the world BACK THEN. We don't "own" anyone today. The world has changed can't you too change your way of thinking. It is OVER, let it go.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 03/14/07 - 07:29 am
b2czb----- you say what

b2czb----- you say what happened to "forgive and forget", I agree with you. Forgive and forget is a good thing. But it's contradicting the "We Will Never Forget" theme for 9-11. Why isn't the saying for 9-11 "We Will Forgive and Forget"?

sasha28
sasha28 03/14/07 - 07:44 am
That was the past...get over

That was the past...get over it!

Chad
Chad 03/14/07 - 08:06 am
If they want an apology I

If they want an apology I would be willing to give it to them, But why are no demads for apologies being asked for from their own race. They same race that enslaved them to begin with. It is unfortunate that the white race just benifeted from their greed to make money but it happened.

Raindance
Raindance 03/14/07 - 08:10 am
It's difficult to get over

It's difficult to get over something when children today are STILL being taught the ways of unforgiveness, immaturity, grudges, and "you-owe-me" attitudes. Our twins came home from school one day in first grade and were genuinely perplexed as to why a classmate wouldn't play with them. The classmate told my kids, "I don't play with white kids." I patiently explained to my children not to be angry or unkind to this child - it was not her fault she acts this way. She was TAUGHT to be that way by hateful guardians. Until EVERY parent reprograms the way their children view other races, or teaches them from the beginning that a different race is not an affliction, racism will never depart. Pitiful scenario but can anyone honestly say things will ever change?

After a certain point, it's hard to be civil to ANYONE that despises you - no matter the race. It's difficult for me to continue to practice what I preached to my kids that day in first grade about fairness to the ignorant and misguided. I can certainly say that I am bored and completely desensitized hearing the ills inflicted on African-American - past and present. It has been completely run into the ground. QUIT IT

bel.chick
bel.chick 03/14/07 - 08:12 am
YankeesFan.. We will never

YankeesFan.. We will never forget has nothing to do with slavery. This tragic event effected every nationality in the world. I have no clue were you think slavery and 9-11 could be the same. Yes they were both terrible. But there is a huge time gap here.

Raindance
Raindance 03/14/07 - 08:13 am
Hey localman, just read

Hey localman, just read yours.

Hysterical. Thanks. Sure seems like you forgot somebody.
I'm sure there's more than that, evil people that we are....

owensjef
owensjef 03/14/07 - 08:46 am
All of ya'll are so sick and

All of ya'll are so sick and stupid, you did not need that rant for an excuse to speak your sorry [filtered word] comments, I am sure behind closed doors you guys (bone etc ) spend useless hours thinking like this and raising your kids to think like this.
A bunch of punks, that’s what you are.

DCFONE
DCFONE 03/14/07 - 08:46 am
Apologize?? Squat!!!! For

Apologize?? Squat!!!! For what? That was then, this is now. You people that think you need that are the ones that are too lazy to work & want it all handed to you. This is TOTAL disrespect to the slaaves that worked theirselves, some, to death, FOR YOU. And this is how you thank them. Shame on you!! Get off you behind and thank them by working for a living like they did and haveing respect for one another. My ancesters died in concentration camps, but I'm PROUD of them and have always tried to honor them, not shoot somebody, or try and cheat someone out of something, in their name. What a sham people like you are.

owensjef
owensjef 03/14/07 - 08:48 am
No slaves work for me they

No slaves work for me they worked for slave owners.
Come on DCFONE you can't be that dumb.

owensjef
owensjef 03/14/07 - 08:51 am
Why is that white people

Why is that white people think they are the only ones to pay taxes, they are the only ones to work hard, they are the only ones to earn everything they get. Why ? ??????why?

gagirl40
gagirl40 03/14/07 - 08:59 am
Some of you people are

Some of you people are amazing! Acting as if racism has been long dead and buried. Funny thing is, it wasn't all that long ago blacks couldn't eat at the same counters, go to the same schools or drink from the same water fountains as whites. In the late 50's and early 60's many schools in the south even refused to open as long as blacks had a right to go to them. For 6 years one in Virginia stayed closed in protest of The Supreme Courts decision in Brown V. Board of education. Remember the 16th Street Church in Alabama? The 4 little girls? The Civil Rights act wasn't passed until 1964, only 43 years ago. But the violence against blacks didn't stop then. So YankeesFan is correct. They might not have been slaves for the past 100 or so years, but they certainly have NOT had the same advantages as the rest of us. So when you say they don't deserve an apology, you are wrong. Reparations for slavery? I don't know, but I do know they deserve an apology for the abhorrent way this country has treated them for hundreds of years. And as for this ranter saying the State did nothing, the people did...well that's just stupid. The State IS the people! The people who ran it and made it's laws.

15 03/14/07 - 09:01 am
I am sure Augusta Chronicle

I am sure Augusta Chronicle Newspaper is enjoying this division between whites and blacks. This is one of the reasons that neither white or black children stay in Augusta after graduating from college. T-Mbile will not be able to save this drowning city. Keep hope alive!!!!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/14/07 - 09:05 am
Why is it that people that

Why is it that people that don't pay taxes feel they are entitled to EIC or tax rebates?

owensjef