Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

IT'S RALPH NADER'S turn to be U.S. president in 2008.

THIS TOWN WILL never see the day that many people would be wishing that Charles Walker was somehow back in power. But that Benedict Arnold Medical College of Georgia president has sure changed all of that. Crooked or not, if Charles Walker were in power, nobody would be talking about moving MCG anywhere. If it needed expanding, it would be doing so somewhere in Augusta.

THIS IS A RANT about the Veterans Affairs hospital in Augusta. They need to check this hospital out because they give all of us the same appointment time. About 40 people there at 10 a.m., and you end up waiting for about four hours. They don't care if you wait or not, and something needs to be done about the head man over the VA.

THE SCHOOL BOARD doesn't have any money to give to the bus drivers because they're giving it to Charles Larke, and he needs it worse than they do.

GEORGIA POWER'S RATES have gotten out of hand. The light bill has gone up for me over a period of two months. It went from $120 to $190. It's ridiculous for people, especially us senior citizens. We don't have that kind of money to pay those type of utility bills.

MAYOR DEKE COPENHAVER, former Mayor Bob Young and many others would have acted in the same manner as the former mayor of New York when the Twin Towers were attacked. Does this mean that they are also presidential material?

WHEN ARE THE PEOPLE in Richmond County going to give up and see that the commissioners are going to give Ronnie Few a job no matter what?

WE'RE ALL FAMILIAR with Hillary Clinton and her mess, but I would like to see Lynne Cheney become president. She is a nice lady, and so is Elizabeth Dole.

I READ IN THE RANTS and Raves that people who smoke want the ashtrays put back on the table. You will change your mind when you get heart disease and lung disease. Believe me, I know.

A HUGE RAVE for the Richmond County sheriff's deputies who provided an escort in traffic control for the funeral procession from Church of the Most Holy Trinity to Hillcrest Cemetery on Tuesday. Very precise and professional.

THIS IS A BIG RANT for the Richmond County Department of Family and Children Services. I have been trying all week long to talk to my case manager, and I have yet to get through. What are you doing? Answer the phone!

THOMSON
THOMSON 03/09/07 - 05:16 am
This is a rave for the young

This is a rave for the young black male at Top Notch Car Wash on Wrightsboro Rd. who found a credit card while vacuuming my car on Thursday and brought it to me while I was waiting to get my car washed. God will bless this honest young man. Thanks Again.

debby
debby 03/09/07 - 06:06 am
n/a

TransPlanted
TransPlanted 03/09/07 - 06:38 am
I want to address the comment

I want to address the comment about the VA Hospital here in Augusta! I have had more completed appointments here in the past year, compared to the total for the past 20 years living in Florida. It has not been my experience that you have to wait very long at all here, except for maybe Lab work, even that is rapid compared to other facilities I have been to prior to moving here. In Florida they would make an appointment for a specialty clinic and usually it would be at least an 8 to 10 months wait time, then a week before the date for the scheduled appointment they would reschedule it for another 8 to 10 months. I actually moved here directly because of the reputation of expedient and excellent service at this VA Hospital: You might want to take a drive over to Atlanta and try an appointment there, I haven't been there yet, but I just imagine the wait time is proportionate to the size of that big City. "I say Kudos for the staff at both of the VA Hospitals here, from my perspective their doing an excellent job!"

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 03/09/07 - 07:20 am
Hey brown6683 that is

Hey brown6683 that is awesome! It's so nice to read about the good things that happen!

mommie2
mommie2 03/09/07 - 08:48 am
Lynne Cheney and Elizabeth

Lynne Cheney and Elizabeth Dole? Oh yeah. Because they're real go-getters, them two. We need a strong woman president if we are to have a woman president. Not one who stays in the background. And for the record...Hillary is not the woman I would vote for.

garydman
garydman 03/09/07 - 09:14 am
The Veterans Hospital is a

The Veterans Hospital is a joke. The people there only care about their next paycheck and covering their butts. If you believe anything else you are the idiot, I was disabled by the third rate doctors and staff at the V.A. Hospital and can tell all of you first hand, THEY DON"T CARE ABOUT YOU, they will lie to cover their butts and they will deny benefits as a matter of course to veterans who have disabilities.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 03/09/07 - 09:16 am
I wonder if Augusta would be

I wonder if Augusta would be able to improvise on the bus situation, and perhaps use SCHOOL BUSES temporarily. A commissioner needs to ride a crowded bus, figure how many are standing. Augusta may be able to use one of its prisioner buses or handicap transportation buses. JUST a THOUGHT.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/09/07 - 09:44 am
You know who would make a

You know who would make a great woman president? Shannon Faulkner! She'd pave the way for women everywhere and then quit after four hours.

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 03/09/07 - 10:48 am
Oh MY GOD DFCS has the worst

Oh MY GOD DFCS has the worst system!!!! They never answer their phones, it keeps looping through and through!! I just got through the other time after 2 weeks of trying!! Have you tried calling 706-721-6991?? That was the number I finally got through with after all that time!! And honestly they take waaaayyyyy too long to get things rolling!!! I have been waiting for 5 months on my child support to go through and still nothing!!!! By the way I see it my son will turn 18 before he gets anything from his Dad!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

Designated Hitter
Designated Hitter 03/09/07 - 11:07 am
Who would vote for a woman OR

Who would vote for a woman OR man because they are "nice"? Crazy!

SilentJ
SilentJ 03/09/07 - 11:21 am
Dee I feel your pain.......if

Dee I feel your pain.......if you want anything to get done up there you have to stay on their butts until the dogs come home or they will NEVER get your stuff rolling for you!!!Good luck with the support!

idmanrspk
idmanrspk 03/09/07 - 11:22 am
This is for the person who

This is for the person who can't get through to their Case Manager at DFCS- Well first of all if you'd get you sorry tail up and go to the office you might get some progess done. And, secondly if you can sit home and type your comment for rant and raves that you can't get through - you need to take your behind to work somewhere (Look like you got some kind of skills and a computer as well)!!!!

digmick
digmick 03/09/07 - 11:47 am
How many guys quit the

How many guys quit the Citadel each year?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/09/07 - 11:51 am
It's Nader's turn? Since

It's Nader's turn? Since when do we "take turns" being president? How about we elect one based on qualifications? There's a unique idea. Let's not do to the presidency what we've done to corporate America, and start electing people based on "diversity" instead of qualifications. That ridiculous idea is already responsible for more incompetent managers than can be counted in the business world; let's not do the same to the highest office in the land.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 03/09/07 - 12:30 pm
I'm so glad you had a good

I'm so glad you had a good experience with Top Notch--considering the "shady" owners!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/09/07 - 12:41 pm
Nader killed the Corvair,

Nader killed the Corvair, which was simply a car 'way ahead of its time. Any Corvair fans out there?

tigger 2
tigger 2 03/09/07 - 12:42 pm
Another great day but some

Another great day but some are being nasty let's get with the program. Only positive talk today.............

jack
jack 03/09/07 - 01:00 pm
To tjohns22: If Elizabeth

To tjohns22: If Elizabeth Dole isn't a go getter vice someone who "stays in the backgorun" then who is other than the powre hungry President wannabe, Hitler Cliton. The only reason she stuck with BJ was she didn;t want to give up the power of being "first lady" (in name only, as she is no lady, but a filthy mouth).

jack
jack 03/09/07 - 01:07 pm
To garydman: I don't use the

To garydman: I don't use the VA as I have tricare for life (thanks to Charlie Norwood whom we vets wil miss). However, I have found that many of the doctors you see at the VA are also staff at MCG (so I no longer use MCG, either, as you can hardly find a "Smith or Jones" in that crew).

jack
jack 03/09/07 - 01:10 pm
To digmick: You mean how

To digmick: You mean how many CADETS quite the Citadel each year. They are coed now ya' know.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/09/07 - 01:24 pm
Does it occur to anyone that

Does it occur to anyone that Hillary is driven, not because she loves power for the sake of power, but because there are things she would like to accomplish? I just wish she would stay in the Senate. Tjohns is right; a woman president would have to be tough. I like Hillary, but I would not want to come up against her! Presidential elections have become too much of a popularity contest. Every time, there are people who say they have not made up their minds up to the week before! Gary, nice to see you back!

CSRAresident
CSRAresident 03/09/07 - 01:27 pm
The printed raves today

The printed raves today mentions a play by the Augusta Players last week. We attended that show on Saturday with our kids and I have to agree that the young actors in Treasure Island were amazing. It is incredible how little boys and girls gain that talent at such a young age and remember those lines word for word? Anywho, hats off to the Youth Theater for a job well done.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 03/09/07 - 01:38 pm
Go Hillary!!!!!!! She's a go

Go Hillary!!!!!!! She's a go getta!!!!

ShaniS
ShaniS 03/09/07 - 01:39 pm
idmanrspk why so mean. You

idmanrspk why so mean. You actually don't know what she was callng for. Just cause she called DFACS doesn't mean she does not work!!!! DUH. There could be several reasons she called.. GOSH

adinkdorothy
adinkdorothy 03/09/07 - 01:49 pm
If you have not seen Keeley &

If you have not seen Keeley & Du at LaChat Noir - you are missing a very good play. Courtney Prouty should get an Academy Award.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/09/07 - 01:53 pm
Nicole is back, and Gary is

Nicole is back, and Gary is back. You two know this looks bad for your reputations, don't you?

Gilda
Gilda 03/09/07 - 01:57 pm
Hey Curm, looks like it's

Hey Curm, looks like it's reunion day! Hello, Gary and Nicole. Let's stir something up!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/09/07 - 02:03 pm
Where is Clyons?

Where is Clyons?

USSNOWGURL
USSNOWGURL 03/09/07 - 02:48 pm
Where is JXK?

Where is JXK?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/09/07 - 03:04 pm
He is the one who got banned,

He is the one who got banned, but he could be back in another incarnation. We all have to behave on here. I'm slowed down lately with one hand out of commission. I was hoping for more entertainment. Everyone else has a life, I need to get me one of those.

Teacher group backs Carter for governor

ATLANTA - One of the largest teachers' groups in Georgia has announced its support for Democrat Jason Carter, as he challenges Republican Gov. Nathan Deal in the fall.