Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I KNOW WHY PEOPLE are not using their turn signals now. They are using their cell phones.

THE THINGS THAT have happened at Walter Reed are just a small example of what's happened to our country under this current administration. The hospital that our soldiers are going to and also the border is a mess. Promises, promises, and nothing getting done. This administration has just gone to the dogs. I pray that everybody will fight this issue.

I AGREE WITH THE PERSON who said that the Medical College of Georgia building department don't know how to fill out for Social Security, Medicare and Bluecross insurance. Doctors and University hospitals as well as private practices don't charge anymore than what they collect. I would like to know why MCG charges more.

ON MONDAY MORNING, I saw a beige or white Acura cut a van off in North Augusta. I thought to myself, he should be prosecuted. Then I saw his tag said solicitor. He was a prosecutor.

THESE ELECTED OFFICIALS in the Atlanta office should put the ashtrays back on the table in the restaurants before election time. If not, they're going to be voted out of office. We are free Americans that have fought for this country, and we want our rights protected. It's our right to smoke if we want to.

AUTHORITIES LOOKING INTO Walter Reed Veterans Hospital also need to look into the local veterans hospital here. The patients wait hours to be seen by two or three doctors because all are required to check in at the same time.

I'M STILL WAITING to see a complete list of the Academy Award winners and nominees.

Call The Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

nonumberplease
nonumberplease 03/07/07 - 05:19 am
our good old boy court system

our good old boy court system is still working well, if you kill
someone in an accident on rivrtwatch pkwy and you are a doctor,
you receive no prison time, but if you hit someone with a bottle
you receive prison time. Money talks in our court system!!!

asoldier
asoldier 03/07/07 - 05:47 am
You have the right to smoke

You have the right to smoke OUTSIDE. I have the right to sit at my table in a nice smoke free enviroment. Thats the way it works..Get over it!

Ole School
Ole School 03/07/07 - 06:19 am
smokers already get more

smokers already get more BREAKS than us nonsmokers....

illini2
illini2 03/07/07 - 07:12 am
The "Put the ashtrays back on

The "Put the ashtrays back on the table" comment is so ignorant I think it is a hoax comment just to get a reaction.

bone
bone 03/07/07 - 07:15 am
Maybe the "ashtray" poster

Maybe the "ashtray" poster truly believes everyone loves smelling like smoke after a meal? Or that food tastes better when mixed with smoke?? Or that people improve their respiratory system by inhaling secondhand smoke???

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 03/07/07 - 07:17 am
tjohn522, I don't remember

tjohn522, I don't remember what I said on 2/13/07 that impressed you, but thanks for remembering.

CSRAider
CSRAider 03/07/07 - 07:49 am
Harlem Beat Evans in extra

Harlem Beat Evans in extra innings! Man this year is starting off great you cant tell who will be the big powerhouse. If you want to play baseball Columbia County Has it.

zHolly220
zHolly220 03/07/07 - 09:06 am
I am a smoker, My husband & I

I am a smoker, My husband & I smoke outside at home(never have smoked inside our home) and would never smoke in a resturant. I agree resturants should be smoke-free,We make sure our kids are never around us when we smoke . I like that our kids are not going into a smokey room,when we want to go out to eat.Even when the resturants were allowing smokers,we sat in Non-Smoking and waited till we left to smoke outside away from the doors. My oppinion is if you can't respect non-smokers -than stay at home and puff away. We choose to smoke-we shouldn't force that on others by them inhaling our second hand smoke.

imdstuf
imdstuf 03/07/07 - 09:15 am
I hate the smell of smoke,

I hate the smell of smoke, but how much power should we grant the government to protect us? It should be up to the businesses and if we do not want to support places with non defined smoke free areas we do not have to. Do we need the government to babysit us and control every facet of our lives? Its amazing they will tell businesses not to allow smoking, yet they will not stop businesses from polluting or outsourcing jobs. That would help alot of peoples' health and well being.

what
what 03/07/07 - 09:16 am

Thank you zHolly220 for being so considerate. I wish all smokers were as thoughtful as you are.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 03/07/07 - 09:33 am
The government should not

The government should not tell a business " NOT TO ALLOW SMOKING " A few years ago when this ban started I wrote a letter to the editor about a good solution it was ignored: If a business owner decides to allow smoking they sould place a warning sign on the front door, like what comes on a pack of cigarettes. WARNING THIS ESTABLISHMENT ALLOWS SMOKING IF THIS OFFENDS YOU OR YOU FEAR FOR HEALTH REASONS PLEASE DO NOT ENTER Then everyone has a choice there would be plenty of restraunts that would & would not allow smoking, this leaves it to the owners discression to judge what market of customers he chooses. The owner should have that right, how would you like putting all your funds into a business then the Gov. tells you how to operate??? FREEDOM OF CHOICE !!!

fergie01
fergie01 03/07/07 - 09:51 am
the academy award winners

the academy award winners this year...let's see how about al sharpton,jessie jackson, and howard stern . if those three can't act who can?

digmick
digmick 03/07/07 - 10:01 am
Once again, please point out

Once again, please point out in the constitution where smokers are granted the right to smoke.

digmick
digmick 03/07/07 - 10:03 am
It is about time that someone

It is about time that someone brings up the Administration's debacle at Walter Reed.

mommie2
mommie2 03/07/07 - 10:08 am
AmericanRose: Your comment

AmericanRose: Your comment was a response to someone who said I should be teaching instead of posting comments here. And you're right, this is my planning period. So thanks!

mommie2
mommie2 03/07/07 - 10:09 am
About the smokers: My right

About the smokers: My right to live a healthy life outweighs your right to kill yourself and others around you.

malelux
malelux 03/07/07 - 10:13 am
The DUI system in place in

The DUI system in place in Georgia puts a boot to the neck of the poor and less educated. It allows those with money and connections to shrug off poor judgement while harshly oppressing those with little to their name. Are the mistakes of the wealthy okay? Put a percentage of income penalty on this issue if you really want to punish everyone and not just the poor. Shame on you Georgia.

zHolly220
zHolly220 03/07/07 - 10:13 am
I don't see why you can't

I don't see why you can't wait to smoke after you eat-you are walking out to your car after the meal anyways. There is a smoking resturant in Augusta that told us that no one under 18 could enter due to the fact they are a smoking establishment ( we had our 4 kids so of course we didn't go in),but it is MASTERS INN Resturant on Gordon Hwy. They use to have good home cooking food-but I won't never know again,b/c I refuse to eat there even without our kids with us.

bel.chick
bel.chick 03/07/07 - 10:16 am
I believe what they are

I believe what they are trying to say is Whose business is it to tell us what we can and cannot due. Is it the politicans decision on what we do with out lives. I smoke and just for insight to all restuarants we used to eat out 3-4 times a week. And lunch about everyday now...Lets just say you are not making that money anymore from my family of 5. We now only go out about 2 or 3 times a month...So who is hurting....

bel.chick
bel.chick 03/07/07 - 10:18 am
zHolly220 , 1102 is the same

zHolly220 , 1102 is the same way but it knows there customers. And caters to them...This is what business should do. Thanks 1102.

zHolly220
zHolly220 03/07/07 - 10:23 am
If you want a smoking

If you want a smoking establishment, than it should be posted on a big sign saying they smoke in this resturant,so that people can choose weather to enter or not. But what happens if all the resturants people like to eat at become smoking? Are you going to pay there medical bills if they get sick from your smoke? If not then don't smoke in close quarters in public. It is not about what you are being told to do,it is about respect for others.Just my oppinion !!!

zHolly220
zHolly220 03/07/07 - 10:27 am
I do not believe the govt.

I do not believe the govt. should tell people how to live their lives most of the time. Thats why I said it is about respecting others.Think of things you don't like for people to do around or say around you,than put it in the same context as smokers smoking around non-smokers. I don't want my kids around smoke,thats why my hubby & I don't smoke in the home,or around our children at all,and I would appreciate people in resturants not doing it either.

Queen4842
Queen4842 03/07/07 - 10:28 am
To the person who made the

To the person who made the DUI comment, how bout you don't drink and drive, rich or poor?????? I know I would really appreciate it as a driver on these roads. As a smoker I do not smoke in public I ask that all you alcoholics do not drink and drive!

NEone
NEone 03/07/07 - 10:29 am
zHolly: I'm sorry you don't

zHolly: I'm sorry you don't care about yourself as much as you care about your kids. Certainly they want you around as grandparents who can have fun with their kids, not someone with COPD or lung cancer or brain cancer like my father-in-law, with little energy or ability to enjoy life. Pulling around a container of oxygen may be the only exercise you get. Quit before it's too late!

zHolly220
zHolly220 03/07/07 - 10:37 am
NEONE,,, Wow that came out of

NEONE,,, Wow that came out of left field.
Just to let you know,I have quit a few times I quit everytime I am pregnant and during my whole pregnancy,but seem to start back about 3 months afterwards. I am currently tring to quit.I have a longtime before I am a grandparent,my kids are only 7,6,3, & 6 months old. I plan on quitting for good ,but it is hard. Right now I am going through where everytime I want to smoke,I eat instead,I am a slim female,so some extra pounds will do me good.But thanks for the encouragement HAVE A GOOD DAY!

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 03/07/07 - 10:49 am
You silly non-smokers!

You silly non-smokers! Didn't you hear that Congress recently passed a law that makes smoking a right equal to free speech, bearing arms, and the rest of the Bill of Rights? Smoking is a right!? That's funny.

newsperson
newsperson 03/07/07 - 10:55 am
No the government should not

No the government should not have the right to tell us what to do, but smokers should not have the right to put anyone eles life in danger either. If you want to die go right ahead but some of us don't want to die. Also I should not have to say well I am not going to eat at that restraunt because people are allowed to smoke in there, when smokers can politely get up and go outside if they would like to smoke.

AsItIs
AsItIs 03/07/07 - 10:58 am
How does the DUI system

How does the DUI system harshly opress those with little to their name? Hold a gun to their heads and make them purchase the alcohol? Then make them drive, too? Geez, people....get real!

localman
localman 03/07/07 - 11:08 am
I am a non-smoker but I don't

I am a non-smoker but I don't want the government to tell people were they can smoke. The next thing you know, they'll be making it mandatory to wear seatbelts in cars and helmets on bicycles.

jack
jack 03/07/07 - 11:11 am
Only a fool (DIMocRAT) would

Only a fool (DIMocRAT) would believe the problems with Walter Reed and the VA system is all GW Bush's fault. Like his reacting to 9/11, he will now get the Walter Reed and VA problems sorted out and go to Congress for the money to fix them. Let's see what our DIMocRAT controlled Congress does then. As for the borders, BJ Cliton was in office for eight yearts and did nothing, so why whine about Bush not doing anything. At least we are buidling a fence under this admin.