Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RANT FOR THOSE who think it's OK for the Dixie Chicks to accept money for a performance, then use that venue to make a political statement. When you buy a ticket to an entertainment venue you expect to be entertained, not to be subjected to the performer's political opinions. No one has the right to push his or her own political views on anyone else unless it has been made clear in advance that the performance will be a political forum.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO get anything done online, go to the library on Greene Street. As I write this, the woman to my left is constantly talking to the two men standing behind us, both of whom are talking to her. The security guard is nowhere to be found, probably sitting up front on his perch. If the perfume doesn't get me out of here, the fear caused by two big men looming over me will.

I WAS THINKING about the James Brown statue and memorial downtown on Broad Street. Instead of a jukebox to "play when you pay," how about a sound system built into the stage, which plays I Feel Good at the press of a button or at timed intervals? Just a thought.

THIS IS A RANT TO the Dixie Youth in Columbia County. Fifteen-year-old ballplayers were turned away because they did not have enough teams for a season. Understandable that some years players are fewer. But these players could have been told that Martinez-Evans Little League had space for them. New teams would have been developed to accommodate. Now instead you have some kids not playing baseball at all. This is terrible. I know there is some sort of Dixie Youth/Little League rift, but sometimes you have to put the youths first. Isn't that why we do this?

MY WIFE IS AN ASSISTANT to a couple of people, and I hear of the actions of those she assists every day. So I send out a big thank you to all secretaries and assistants on behalf of their non-acknowledging bosses. If it were not for secretaries and assistants, the bosses would not be able to play golf on company time.

THIS SHOULD BE BROUGHT to the attention of the county engineer so that corrective action may be taken. Is there any way that the traffic signal at Gordon Highway and Dyess Parkway can be regulated so traffic can move at a normal pace and does not have to wait on the left-turn signal when there is no left-turn traffic?

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

localman
localman 03/05/07 - 02:32 pm
Of course I agree with

Of course I agree with Tigger, Curm. There are things that Clinton did that no doubt upset Democrats just like Bush has done some things domestically that upsets Republicans. A President, no matter what party he comes from, ideally represents the people of the US. I never wished Clinton or Gore dead. The people who wish Bush or Cheney dead are the ones over the top...not Tigger.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 02:35 pm
You don't think Tigger wishes

You don't think Tigger wishes the Clinton's dead? It sounds like that to me. I don't wish anyone dead. Tigger seems consumed to me.

Curlie56
Curlie56 03/05/07 - 02:48 pm
Curmudgeon, don't say Bush

Curmudgeon, don't say Bush didn't lie under oath, because he was lying when he tooth the oath, after stealing the election both times. Everything he has done during and after the oath has been a weapon of mass distructive lie. Oh yes, what ever happen to Osama Been Forgotten?

localman
localman 03/05/07 - 02:54 pm
Well, it's hard hearing all

Well, it's hard hearing all this hate spewed out on these pages about our president who we believe, overall, is doing an exceptional job. Our troops all over the world are doing a magnificient job keeping us safe. I pray for them and their families. No one has attacked us since 9/11. We kept the fight over there, where it should be. The economy is strong. Unemployment is way down. Taxes are down. Times are good. Enjoy them.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 02:59 pm
Custom, from watching Law and

Custom, from watching Law and Order, ha, I know that not knowing right from wrong is a good defense. I have always felt that Shrubya simply does not know right from wrong and he is being contolled behind the scenes. If he were not so cocky, I don't think he could be so easily controlled. Osama will eventually die of old age, or whatever, and Bush will announce, "Mission Accomplished."

localman
localman 03/05/07 - 03:02 pm
I always suspected Osama is

I always suspected Osama is really Castro with a longer beard.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 03:07 pm
Times are worse for the

Times are worse for the lowest on the economic scale. People don't show up on the unemployment numbers after so long. The gap between the have-lots and have-nots has gotten wider in the last six years, with fewer and fewer in what we call the middle class. Taxes are not an issue for those who don't earn enough to pay them. Times are just plain not good at all.

irishgent
irishgent 03/05/07 - 03:11 pm
To all you Bush haters,maybe

To all you Bush haters,maybe we will get a democrat in the oval office and with a democratic congress and a democratic senate all of our problems will be solved,heck why have we not thought of this sooner.Come to think of it Im not even going to play the lottery anymore,I mean what more could we ask for.

irishgent
irishgent 03/05/07 - 03:11 pm
To all you Bush haters,maybe

Chad
Chad 03/05/07 - 04:03 pm
The president can only do so

The president can only do so much if you really want to make changes clean house get rid of all the long term Reps and Senators the ones that have been there more than 8 years and get new blood there ones that really want do more for this country than sit in DC and vote for pay raises and debate on how to change the light bulb.

tigger 2
tigger 2 03/05/07 - 04:18 pm
Hey i don't hate anyone i was

Hey i don't hate anyone i was just representing the facts about our (sic) former pres. and his (always truthful) bride. Can't help it if ya'll can't stand the truth............

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 04:19 pm
Well, Massey, good luck with

Well, Massey, good luck with getting them to vote themselves term limits! How many of us would like to see that!

tigger 2
tigger 2 03/05/07 - 04:23 pm
About the fishing boat

About the fishing boat incident if you care to check the skipper was a clinton man (you know don't talk about it if you do it just lie like hell) Ya'll need to read more and check your facts.........

OKFine
OKFine 03/05/07 - 04:25 pm
Regarding the signal at

Regarding the signal at Gordon Hwy and JDyess, the signal timer for north bound traffic was previously set for 15 seconds, but was recently adjusted to 25 seconds, the minimum time for the north bound traffic to clear the intersection under peak conditions. If set for too short of a duration, impatient drivers tended to cross traffic when the light is yellow, or even red, posing a danger to crossing/oncoming traffic. The extra 10 second wait is worth your/our well being.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 04:31 pm
That is your version of the

That is your version of the truth. If Repubs could find any substantiated accusations to sling at Clinton, they would have used it. Two thirds of the country thinks you are wrong in your support for Bush. I will be the first to admit Bill is a hopeless womanizer and Hillary is a consumate politician. You don't see us attacking Laura Bush, do you? Even the law-breaking lushes who are their daughters have been rather left alone. I question the truth of the accident where Laura killed her boyfriend in a freak car accident, but I don't spew hatred for her over it. You folks can't even leave Chelsea alone.

Chad
Chad 03/05/07 - 04:32 pm
Just throwing that out maybe

Just throwing that out maybe a little wishful thinking.

Chad
Chad 03/05/07 - 04:40 pm
Has anybody heard the

Has anybody heard the Hilliary southern accent Amazing! I have lived in the south for over 40 years and my accent is no where near as bad as that was.

intheknow
intheknow 03/05/07 - 04:52 pm
Come on now. CURMUDGEON, you

Come on now. CURMUDGEON, you know Ted Kennedy, Bill and Hillary Clinton killed Laura Bush's friend.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 04:55 pm
People who move back and

People who move back and forth between the south and other places do that. The way I speak sometimes depends on whether I have been hanging around my daughter or my mother. It gets weird, and the harder I try to stop, the worse it gets.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 05:03 pm
I figure she was a little

I figure she was a little drunk and the guy two timed her so she ambushed him and rammed his car with hers. That is what would happen on a soap, right? He probably had it coming.

intheknow
intheknow 03/05/07 - 05:16 pm
One thing you can give Rudy

One thing you can give Rudy credit for. He married his second cousin but did not find out for 14 years. Now granted this was his Father's first cousin's daughter. I can understand, those family reunions are hard at seperating relatives from others. But if it was me when she intro herself as cousin Mary, most would have thought that to be a clue.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 05:33 pm
Geeesh, men can be so

Geeesh, men can be so clueless when it comes to relatives. Wives always have to help them keep straight their own kinfolk, never mind hers. Are you saying that she knew and he didn't? Maybe, like some hubbies, he was not listening for fourteen years.

intheknow
intheknow 03/05/07 - 06:00 pm
How do you not meet in that

How do you not meet in that family. I am just waiting for all of the holier than thou to come out and tell Rudy to go straight to HOTEL. NAWWW, he just might find another room to take his thrid wife with him.

intheknow
intheknow 03/05/07 - 06:04 pm
Mr Rudy had the nerves to ask

Mr Rudy had the nerves to ask for privacy when questioned about the fact that his son and daughter will not be helping his run for the White House. Wonder why?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 08:22 pm
Rudy has too much baggage to

Rudy has too much baggage to get elected. I think he is just a diversionary tactic. But they could put Hannibal Lechter on the ticket and give it a good spin, so never mind about the baggage. This early in the game, I am skeptical about all them. Hey, he ain't a closet Mormon, is he?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/05/07 - 08:57 pm
I don't think all Republican

I don't think all Republican administrations were necessarily evil, but I think that about this one. Our troops have been sent into a war while the military spending is actually curtailed to siphon more of it off to Halliburton and Halliburton Wannabes. This is why we find ill provisioned situations like what is being found at Walter Reed. Big tax cuts are given to the wealthy while programs that help people get back on their feet are cut and eliminated right and left. This has been such a secretive administration. Press access was drastically reduced right away and by now we have grown accustomed to it. Meanwhile, dissension in the administration was not allowed. Total loyalty was the prime requirement. Loyalty was valued over accountability. Be patient, I would like to say to people who still are backing the administration. Give it ten or twenty years, then tell me what you think about GWB. My prediction is that history was a lot kinder to Nixon than it will be to Bush.

Ex-SC Gov. Edwards dies

CHARLESTON, S.C. - James B. Edwards, South Carolina's first Republican governor since Reconstruction and later energy secretary for two years in the Reagan administration, has died.