Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RAVE for Sen. Clinton. I hope she never apologizes for her decision in 2002. She made the right decision.

I ENJOY RANTS and Raves. Even though I don't live in Augusta, I get a kick out of reading what the public sends in. Keep it up. Also I love the gardening info in the paper. Wish you had more. It is really good.

PLEASE SEE IF SOMEONE can have the DMV put the phrase "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" in huge, bold letters so when someone takes the test they are sure to remember it, and for those already driving, the right side of the road is on the passenger side of the car.

IF YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL is $90, lucky you, how about $190?

DICK CHENEY HAS a big mouth and is just adding to the unrest in the world. Also, gas prices will probably go up.

THIS IS KNOWN as a free country, where the president is elected with limited powers and not unlimited powers, as in a dictatorship. Someone please try to explain this to George W.

THIS IS A RANT to the U.S. government for considering to allow illegal immigrants to receive federal tax dollars to go to U.S. colleges. It is wrong. The only thing they deserve is deportation.

MY HUSBAND AND I would like to say thank you to the anonymous donor who paid for our lunch Feb. 23 at the Red Lobster on Washington Road. In the 16 years my husband has been in the service, this is the first time anyone has ever thanked him personally for serving our country.

CONCERNING PEACHCARE and Medicaid. Some of you people do nothing but harass the care providers. Get over it and pay for health care.

THIS IS FOR THE PERSON that said that they didn't have a role model in school for their child. If the girls in the South ever got married and stayed married, then you would have a role model called your father.

THIS IS A RAVE FOR The Augusta Chronicle's printing of the 23 countries who are with us in the Iraq war. We are not alone. The Brits have secured their area and deserve to begin their withdrawal. Why do we not hear about these other countries who have sent troops to help us?

I'M BIRACIAL AND I'm already sick of hearing about Al Sharpton and ancestors and how Strom Thurmond had his ancestors as slaves. I can't imagine how many of my Cherokee ancestors got their land taken away from them. I can't imagine how many of my Jewish ancestors were killed in death camps and so on, and I even had ancestors that were slaves. We all have ancestors in our past that were hurt, but we as people should just move on and get over certain things. It's 2007; learn from things and live in the present. I'll say it again. Move on.

THIS IS A RANT FOR Commissioners Andy Cheek and Marion Williams. They are always trying to use dollar words from their 2-cent brains.

PRESIDENT BUSH wanted to sue the person who ordered the attack on the twin towers. Then his focus changed. And people need to see that this was under false pretenses. His support had dropped and will continue to do so.

A BIG RAVE TO THE X-Treme section of The Augusta Chronicle. I am impressed and proud of all the young people. You are growing up in such a difficult world, and I just think that you are all doing a great job.

THIS RANT IS FOR THE sheriff's department. They didn't say anything about the road patrol, and that is the backbone of the department. They do all the work, and no credit was given to the road department.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW if people would consider the fact that servers can only serve what they are given. If the food is messed up, it isn't the server's fault. The blame should be on whoever is in the kitchen and not the people who bring the food out.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@ augustachronicle.com.

asoldier
asoldier 03/03/07 - 03:47 am
So if the person using

So if the person using peachcare were able to pay for their own care it would be all right to harass healthcare workers? I don't think so. Being rude is wrong no matter who pays the bill. On the other hand it is also wrong to discriminate against or be prejudiced (to pre judge) against person because they need to use a state funded program. Many people who use the peachcare program are hardworking people who work 40+ hrs a week to provide for their families. Maybe just maybe they are tired of "healthcare workers" treating them like the dregs of society just because want to provide proper healthcare for their children.

Catchygirl
Catchygirl 03/03/07 - 07:05 am
This is in reply to the

This is in reply to the server who says its not their fault. You are quite wrong my dear. It is your responsibililty to make sure that your customers are served the right food. So in order to do that make sure you check it before you leave the kitchen.

pops1
pops1 03/03/07 - 07:57 am
the person who wrote in about

the person who wrote in about the illegal immigrants...this is ANOTHER subject we are tired of hearing about. if they are only good for deportation, then who would do the importanat work to keep our economy running? YOUR kids , that are probably in jail or pregnant with their 4th or 5th child, raising them to be as hateful and racist as you on public assistance, or YOU...when you are finished beating your wife and molesting your kids and wake up from your drunk stupor? You just want to continue slavery without benefit to the slaves...no matter the race or creed...maybe YOU should be sent somewhere else to live and see how it feels to try to live in poverty and have people be hateful to you after you wipe their behinds! UNGRATEFUL YOU.

jaschild
jaschild 03/03/07 - 08:13 am
Not sure where most of your

Not sure where most of your reply came from, sugarshack, but you seem to be lathered up about something. In trying to understand your issues with deportation, I gathered that you think those who desire immigration reform are wife-beating, child-molesting, promiscuous drunks who need illegal immigrants to do all the labor. Is that about right? As a non wife-beating, non child-molesting, monogamous social drinker I'd have to disagree with you: illegal immigrants would benefit from immigration reform as much as anyone. Illegal immigrants currently have very little job security and are not able to use much government assistance to provide for their families. Immigration reform would at least bring state governments into a position of protecting citizens, legal or illegal, from businesses that care nothing for their workers.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/03/07 - 09:26 am
Just a reminder....When you

Just a reminder....When you see a sign that says "Slower Traffic Keep Right" there is usually a sign that says "Speed Limit 70" (or whatever it happens to be) So if you are complaining about someone doing the speed limit in the left hand lane, then you have no complaint. You are just saying your impatience and contempt for the speed limit should be ignored, but not the people who won't get out of your way! And don't start the argument that it's the people driving the speed limit that cause accidents. That's nonsense. If we all drove the limit, there wouldn't be problems with people holding up traffic.

zHolly220
zHolly220 03/03/07 - 10:13 am
To the person compalining

To the person compalining about a $90 eletric bill,I will trade with you. I did miss the original complaint,so excuse any wrong comments.We pay $300.00 a month,granted my husband and I have 4 children,(ages 7,6,3,& 6 months),so we expect to pay more than usual,but to complain about $90.00,,,that seems like heaven to me,lol. I do understand that $90.00 would put a burden on someone with fixed income,or someone who is a 1 or 2 person household that might usually pay only 30 or 40 a month,but I will gladly swap bills with you.

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 03/03/07 - 10:14 am
I don't know Wanda. Did you

I don't know Wanda. Did you want me to cut up your steak to make sure it is to your liking before I serve it to you? I think you'd be pretty upset if I did! Most food mistakes are made by the kitchen and is almost impossible for a server to make sure it's right without cutting it up. Until you have worked in service industry, shut up!!!

peonynut
peonynut 03/03/07 - 10:15 am
It isn't just illegals who

It isn't just illegals who claim too many on their tax returns. I know a person that has two children by one man and one by another who claims 17 dependents. I reported her but as usual the powers that be have ignored it. She also sucks the government for every bit of free stuff she can find, lives in housing paid for by tax paying citizens, receives food stamps and monies from every program she can fake out. I too think they should be deported, the illegals, but something also needs to be done about our citizens who pull the same stunts.

localman
localman 03/03/07 - 11:06 am
Bottom line, they are here

Bottom line, they are here ILLEGALLY. ship 'em back. MExico would throw you in jail if you were there illegally.

MartinezMom
MartinezMom 03/03/07 - 11:17 am
I was a Peach care recipient

I was a Peach care recipient for a while because I was a single Mom with an ex husband that wouldn’t pay child support. Thank goodness I was able to better our situation and eventually able to get healthcare insurance on my on. I did see the difference in the way we were treated when we had Peach care vs. my other insurance. We were treated as if we were some lower form of life when we had Peach care. It makes you quite ill at times. I know some people take advantage of low cost healthcare but some of us are just honest people trying to make it until we can do better for ourselves. Healthcare providers should not make you feel as if you are doing something bad because you need the extra help.

Chad
Chad 03/03/07 - 11:24 am
Any Illegal imagrant the

Any Illegal imagrant the say's we are not criminals, guess what by being here with out papers makes you a criminal, I have nothing against people of other countries coming here legally to work and make a better life for themselves more power to you. Saying that they do jobs that americans won't do is horse squeeze They just happen to do it for a whole lot cheaper than an american will. Which in the grand scheme things makes good bussiness sense.

intheknow
intheknow 03/03/07 - 11:37 am
How in the " HOTEL " do you

How in the " HOTEL " do you claim 17 people on your taxes?

gnx
gnx 03/03/07 - 11:39 am
Wanda is right regarding the

Wanda is right regarding the server's responsibility to ensure the food is correct before leaving the kitchen. Purm - the responsibility for the meal does not lie entirely with the kitchen. Many food errors are direct results of servers getting the order wrong in the first place. The server is the customer's primary contact with the kitchen and IS responsible for ensuring the customer's order is correct in every detail. The kitchen isn't getting the tip, the server is. Oh - by the way - telling someone to shut up 'until they have worked in the service industry' tells me you're the type of person I'd have never considered hiring and I certainly wouldn't want you waiting my table.

jack
jack 03/03/07 - 12:00 pm
Folks, the correct

Folks, the correct terminology is "illegal aliens" vice immigrants. Immigrants are those who come here legally and go through the immingration process. Yes, we do need to deport the illegals as they obviously have no respect for our law. Legal workers would be welcome under a regulated guest worker program.

debby
debby 03/03/07 - 12:03 pm
Off topic --- It is just

Off topic --- It is just wrong to have flag corps tryouts where every girl makes the team. If every girl is given a spot in the end, why have tryouts at all?

121978
121978 03/03/07 - 01:29 pm
Even when the slower traffic

Even when the slower traffic is in the far right lane, there are idiots who still tailgate. The speed limit on Bobby Jones is 45 MPH after you pass the Peach Orchard Rd/Windsor Spring Exit!!!!! We need the cops out there!!!!!!

gagirl40
gagirl40 03/03/07 - 01:30 pm
The spin of this

The spin of this administration is amazing! Now that the British have "secured" their area, shouldn't they come up to Baghdad to help us? Bush said we need more troops in Baghdad, yet the British are leaving. Funny how it's a "good thing" when the British withdraw their troops but completely unAmerican if we even mention troop withdrawal for the US. Why is that? Blair once said he wouldn't withdraw his troops until the job in Iraq was finished. Well, it ain't finished Mr. Blair. I say send those troops to a place where they can help, like An Bar Province or Baghdad...or is that a little too dangerous for your troops? And to the ranter who asked why we don't hear about the other countries who are in Iraq to "help us"? It's because of the 50 or so original countries that "supported" the war in Iraq, most was non-military support. Only 4 sent military support and only made up 8% of the troop level. And even those have pulled out most, if not all, of their troops. By the way, there are about 193 countries in this world, so 50 is a small number to begin with. And when you consider only 4 of the 50 sent in military troops, well, you aren't looking at much "help" to begin with.

Rose
Rose 03/03/07 - 01:58 pm
121978, same on I-20 before

121978, same on I-20 before Washington Rd. Drive 45mph in right lane in construction area, and get tailgaters and cars and trucks flying past like a bat out of hell.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/03/07 - 03:13 pm
Don't you just hate it when

Don't you just hate it when someone is on your bumper in the left lane, you're already over the speed limit and they obviously think you should pull over and let them fly on down the road, but the traffic in the lane to your right is such that you cannot pull over safely? It's like they are saying, get out of MY way, and I don't care if you have to cause an accident to do it.

msthang
msthang 03/03/07 - 04:20 pm
intheknow are you serious? I

intheknow are you serious? I am amazed that anyone would evern try to claim 17 people on their taxes! I surely hope that the IRS catch up with them.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/03/07 - 05:05 pm
Msthang, the IRS is too busy

Msthang, the IRS is too busy harassing ordinary people to pay attention the huge red flags waving in their faces. ------It has been a long time since I "waited tables" but I do like to eat out. Even if something is wrong with the food, I am not going to be nasty to a server. If there was a mistake, they get a gracious chance to fix it. I have had to go all the way up to a manager about twice because they just did not know how to cook. I love it when they say, the manager will cook it for you himself (it is always a guy, for some reason) and then it is even worse. Who says the manager is the best cook in the place? HE probably trained the cook wrong in the first place.

NEone
NEone 03/03/07 - 06:18 pm
MartinezMom: I hear you. I

MartinezMom: I hear you. I used to be on WIC. I'm college-educated, and the WIC people treated me like a high school dropout and a lousy mother who didn't know anything. They need to have more respect for the individual.

debby
debby 03/03/07 - 06:28 pm
I, too, used to be on WIC and

I, too, used to be on WIC and food stamps....right after my husband left me and our five children (youngest was 3 weeks old) for another woman. I was a stay at home mom before that happened, but had a Master's Degree. Obviously, I had to go back to work after I got back on my feet, but I recall being treated like trailer-park trash by Kroger cashiers!

EddieD57
EddieD57 03/03/07 - 07:40 pm
"SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT"

"SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" means just that regardless of the SPEED LIMIT! If you are driving in the Left Lane and a car comes up behind you, you are supposed to give that car the RIGHT-OF-WAY by moving to the right to allow that car to continue their journey.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 03/03/07 - 09:13 pm
If there is no easy opening

If there is no easy opening for me to get out of your way, Eddie, then I leave it to you to take the chance of pulling in front of someone else in order to pass me. If you are the one who wants to drive that fast, then you can cause the accident. Don't ride on a person's bumper if you can see there is no safe way for them to move over.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 03/03/07 - 09:56 pm
So you should pay attention

So you should pay attention to the "slower traffic" sign, but you can blow off the "speed limit" sign. Exactly what i said before EddieD46. You can't pick and choose which laws should be followed.

tigger 2
tigger 2 03/03/07 - 09:59 pm
when these stupid people

when these stupid people tailgate you just slow down a bit and hope they hit you then grab your back and scream loud all the way to the bank.......

Nextelcup
Nextelcup 03/04/07 - 02:22 am
Tigger just like someone

Tigger just like someone already driving slow in the wrong lane now you go and tell them to break the law again and cause an accident . As for the law the law say's slower traffic keep right, now who would you rather get a ticket, the person that is really breaking the law by driving slow in the left lane or just get over and allow the ticket to be given to the speeder?It all boils down to that we have so many more things to do in our car than drive. Most everyone I see holding up traffic is on a cell phone to concerned about the call rather than the drive, and while I'm at it if you are at a stop light pay attention to the light!

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...