Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS IN REGARDS to the rant that I saw about the Augusta Regional airport and them having a problem about reservations. I wonder if she has looked at her calendar, because there are only 30 days in the month of April and she was trying to make the reservation for the 31st.

I JUST WANTED TO make a rant because I think it's pretty bad when the city of Augusta goes out to Tennessee and South Carolina and buys new investigative cars when they should keep the money in the city.

MAYBE I DON'T KNOW about economics, but I wish someone would explain to me why our local government would go outside the area to purchase new police cars.

THIS IS THE RAVE for solicitor Barbara Morgan for taking the initiative to try and save our future, which are our children. I think it's a good idea to have mothers that are on drugs to be on birth control pills so that the children can have a future. We need more like her, so kudos.

LET THE COPS DRIVE fast because they keep the traffic going. If an officer is going the speed limit, nobody will pass him and that is ridiculous. So, let them drive as fast as they want to. The same people that are complaining about them speeding are the same ones that complain when traffic is backed up.

BARBARA MORGAN WAS correct and has done the best thing I have done in years, by saying that drug-addicted mothers should take birth control pills. ... We have enough abused and hurt babies in the world. I have seen the effects of these drugs when I see the babies being born basically a vegetable and most not having a chance to live.

BEFORE THEY SPEND one more dollar, the Downtown Development Authority needs to go back to the drawing board because it doesn't matter how much you pay for the slogan if the slogan is no good. Since it's going to be the centerpiece of everything, it needs to be right. You can save money that way.

THIS IS A RANT for Commissioner Marion Williams, who made the statement "You may not like us, but you need to respect us." You have to earn respect of the people, and he has not done that.

I READ THAT SOME OF the judges are having problems with the new child support laws and that they have to get use to it. Isn't that their job and aren't there new laws passed almost everyday?

CONGRATULATIONS TO the Cross Creek Home Economics class for winning the cooking contest. The students are fortunate to have Mr. Oglesby. He is not just a good teacher but a mentor to his pupils.

If you have an opinion, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax (706) 722-7403 or e-mail newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

moparman30909
moparman30909 02/24/07 - 06:15 am
I think its good the city got

I think its good the city got new cars and I would assume it was cheaper to go out of town to do so,but who knows around here as the comission has been known to be a little strange these days.

RebelTA
RebelTA 02/24/07 - 07:54 am
Once again the incompentency

Once again the incompentency of Richmond County shows it's face. For the last two weeks I have put my trash out the night before pickup and once again it wasn't picked up! For this they are using my tax money? At least when I using a private company my trash was picked up on time, everytime. Who is in charge of this comedy of errors?

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 02/24/07 - 08:22 am
Marion Williams like Ronnie

Marion Williams like Ronnie Few do not know how to earn respect, because they have never given respect. They both need to move far away and never let there voice be heard again. Thank goodness I never dealt with Marion Williams on a face to face issue, but I knew Ronnie Few and he does not deserve RESPECT.

Cross Creek deserves to win, Mr. Oglesby is a super fine person and does have the respect from the students he deserves and he is a very good cook.

V Kelley
V Kelley 02/24/07 - 08:40 am
Everyone griping about the

Everyone griping about the Dixie Chicks. November 7th is over. I believe the people spoke, get over it. It is called freedom of speech. The last time I checked it was still allowed.

pofwe
pofwe 02/24/07 - 09:00 am
Did anybody check to see if

Did anybody check to see if any relatives, in-laws, or like thinking friends of Marion Williams is selling cars in Tenn. or SC?

luckie
luckie 02/24/07 - 09:21 am
I also saw the article about

I also saw the article about the April 31 reservation and said to myself, I wonder if the person at Bush Field had a GED or was a high school drop out. Yes there are only 30 days in April. What is even more sad is the fact that the Augusta Chronicle printed it. The person responsible for editing should be reprimanded. It would be a total embarrasment foru Augusta if something like that was printed during Masters when we have so many guests in town. Augusta has so many uneducated peop;e in important positions. So much for affirmative actions. Many blacks now have degrees. Auguta needs to revamp qualifications for board, city and county positions.

APINGA
APINGA 02/24/07 - 10:13 am
Damned if you do damed if you

Damned if you do damed if you don't, before you yahoo's run your mouth about buying cars outside the CSRA get your facts straight. Up to this point the County were buying there Crown Vics and Taurus's from Bobby Jones Ford (for as far back as I can remember). It wasn't until they decided to buy the sturdier better built Impala's for the Investigators, that they were forced to buy outside the CSRA because the two local Chevy Dealerships bid price per unit was higher than the outside dealerships. So place the blame on those two dealerships, for trying to high Gross the County, and a high five to the County for smart spending.

jdcooper
jdcooper 02/24/07 - 10:48 am
Thanks for explaining that

Thanks for explaining that APINGA. It makes more sense now. When shopping for a new vehicle I usually go somewhere else as well. The selections in Augusta are nowhere near what they're like in other places and the prices are usually more competitive too.

mommy22girls
mommy22girls 02/24/07 - 10:50 am
This is a rant about the

This is a rant about the person above speaking of uneducated people. Before you speak of anyone being uneducated, you should go back and proof read your own. There are several misspelling and grammar misuse. Did you graduate?

OMallen
OMallen 02/24/07 - 11:16 am
If the software isn't working

If the software isn't working for the new child support guidelines, then the judges need to take out a pencil and paper and do the math themselves. The law was changed because child support amounts weren't fair. The children deserve the right amount of child support. FIX IT!

intheknow
intheknow 02/24/07 - 11:16 am
TECH. What in the hell did

TECH. What in the hell did affirmative action have to do with anything? Are you so poor oppressed YAHOO that wants to blame everyone because your brother bubba with a 5th grade education is out of work?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/24/07 - 11:22 am
Steph, it is amazing to me

Steph, it is amazing to me how many people cannot write, even though they have all sorts of degrees. It makes me think degrees have gotten too easy to get. A lot of people contributing to this forum would not have gotten out of the elementary school that I attended. I leave them alone unless they start to critique others. Before they throw stones, they should look carefully at themselves. I struggle with my posts because my hands are spastic and my typing is horrid. If I can manage it, others should be able to also. Also, I keep a dictionary near my computer. I think people just don't care these days.

hidingoutagain
hidingoutagain 02/24/07 - 11:33 am
Steph, You stated "There are

Steph,

You stated "There are several misspelling and grammar misuse." You may want to recheck your own grammer.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/24/07 - 11:40 am
What makes anyone think these

What makes anyone think these drug-using women will remember to take their birth control pills? How can we check up on them? Is there any way we can charge a woman with assault or murder or whatever when she gives birth to a baby already addicted, or worse? These women are not thinking straight, I don’t know if they are capable of responsible birth control.

dani
dani 02/24/07 - 12:25 pm
Perhaps we should concentrate

Perhaps we should concentrate more on birth control for men. A woman can only give birth once in a 9 mos (?) period. A man could possibly father several in the same period of time.

tmax72
tmax72 02/24/07 - 12:33 pm
I have a RANT about the new

I have a RANT about the new Augusta Lynx comercial on the tv. These are men that small children look up to and yet they are being protrayed as using more or less bombs to get into a locked door looking as if they are so big and bad around their friends. We are trying to stop all of this not promote it to our children that look up to athletes especially the ones of this area. Children do not read these things like adults do they see it for what it is BIG MEN playing with explosives now what kind of message do you really think the children are getting out of this commercial????

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/24/07 - 12:43 pm
Men do need a better method

Men do need a better method of non-permanent birth control. If I were a man, I would not want to take some woman's word that she was on the pill. I know some people will start yelling abstinence, so I will pre-empt them and say shut up already. We are not talking about the more responsible element of society anyway. They still need to use "barrier sheaths" to prevent disease.

luckie
luckie 02/24/07 - 01:57 pm
can anyne tell the difference

can anyne tell the difference between a typo and a misspelled word??????

mystery30815
mystery30815 02/24/07 - 02:26 pm
I believe a typo is when you

I believe a typo is when you know how to spell the word and perhaps hit the wrong key. A misspelled word is just that, spelling a word wrong. Both are still misspelled.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 02/24/07 - 03:38 pm
Drug addicts (both men and

Drug addicts (both men and women) should get spayed and neutered (however you spell it!) Especially the ones that have neglected and harmed children before.

ladybug74
ladybug74 02/24/07 - 04:07 pm
There is no way to make sure

There is no way to make sure a drug addicted woman takes her birth control. That's why I agree with Yankeesfan...all these parents (if that's what you want to call them) who continue to produce and give birth to the children that are in the custody of the state should be required by law to be made sterile. These poor kids are the ones that suffer, especially when the state of Georgia is stupid enough to give the kids back to them! Ever wonder why kids today are like they are.....things that make you go hmmmmm!

fedup1
fedup1 02/24/07 - 04:27 pm
I really think if most people

I really think if most people on the list would examine the why and how of buying outside the confines of the County it would be self explanitory...no under the table pay outs or free lease vehicles or pocket add on"s , or threats of not doing business when you deal with out of the state folks...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/24/07 - 04:55 pm
Maybe a woman could be given

Maybe a woman could be given the choice of imprisonment for the rest of her fertile life or voluntary sterilization. It sounds very politically incorrect. I suspect these women support their habits with prostitution. I just heard today that a person is guilty of second-degree child abuse if they strike another person in the presence of a child. I think I have that right. Anyway, how much worse is it to keep having these pre-abused babies?

jojosan52
jojosan52 02/24/07 - 05:50 pm
All of the folks who have

All of the folks who have posted opinions on birth control for addicted women, or sterilization, or whatever... I wonder what your opinions are on abortion... My opinion is that it is a personal & private choice. I do agree, however, that it is a travesty for society that there are so many addicted infants born because the mothers are not even concerned w/birth control, much less their own welfare. It is also my opinion that Augusta/Richmond county should buy the old Regency Mall & make it a drug rehab center. Pretty centrally located, don't y'think? Maybe they can include a Crack/Cocaine/Meth Baby Care Nursery while you are receiving treatment?

jojosan52
jojosan52 02/24/07 - 05:55 pm
Marion Williams is not the

Marion Williams is not the only good ol' boy on the Augusta/Richmond county commission, ha ha.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/24/07 - 06:14 pm
Jojo, a lot of people know I

Jojo, a lot of people know I am fanatically pro-choice. There is nothing to even debate because we all have made up our minds what our opinions are. I don't know much about drug treatment, but I know there are not enough places to go for treatment. There are old empty stores and malls all across the USA, and they are often just eyesores. It would be great to give them a new, useful purpose.

behonest1
behonest1 02/24/07 - 11:06 pm
The County of Richmond is

The County of Richmond is stealing(overcharging) my money for trash service. This last week the truck drove by my house and did not pick up my garbage. I live in Hephzibah, it is bad enought that we have no true represenation in government, and the county steals our money the least thay can do is pick up my garbage.
I am also still waiting for an answer to a letter I wrote to my commissioner and the Mayor in Dec about trash service. I still want to know why I have to pay the same thing for trash service for two people as my neighbor who has 6 kids.

sk59
sk59 02/24/07 - 11:33 pm
This rant is for James Brown

This rant is for James Brown arena: Isn't it a fire hazard to have people standing in the doorways at hockey games? People pay to be seated, encourage them to sit! So, others may come and go.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 02/26/07 - 08:32 am
to the person who questioned

to the person who questioned why "the county when outside the area to purchased police cars?" you do not need to know a lot about economics, that is a very very good question and to expand upon your question (if you do not mind) why should the county with the amount of purchasing power that is should have (by the amount of money it is willing to spend) that there ever has to be a need, but more inportantly the price paid for the vehicles?. i always thought that the more money you have to spend the better price per unit (vehicle) you are able to get.