Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I'M CALLING ABOUT the PeachCare program. Yes, we need the PeachCare program. And all the money that they're sending to Iraq and all these other places in the world, why not give it to PeachCare in the United States, where it's most needed?

REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTS Abe Lincoln and Herbert Hoover gave us the Civil War and the Great Depression. Will Republican President George Bush cause another depression or something even worse by starting a war that should never have been?

LAST WEEK AUGUSTA Lynx Manager Dan Troutman was complaining about low walk-up ticket sales. This week he announced that prices for walk-up ticket sales will go up next season. Yeah, Dan, that'll really pack those seats full.

WHAT IS THE LEGAL POINT of Tomi Rae being James Brown's wife? Why is it that she is the widow? What is the legal aspects of who she really is? What is going on with that?

YOU KNOW, IT'S SO SIMPLE. If everybody would be responsible for their own trash and put it where it belongs we wouldn't have all this litter everywhere. So just pick up after yourself instead of throwing it on the ground. Find a trash can and put your litter where it belongs. Don't throw it out of your car window. Put it in a trash can. Be responsible. This is our town. Keep it looking decent. Not just during the Masters Tournament, but all year long.

NOW WE CAN GIVE our dogs gourmet food and dress them in designer clothes, but we still haven't figured out how to feed and take care of the homeless. You tell me what is wrong here. We are in a very, very sick society.

AFTER WATCHING the disaster George W. Bush has made in Iraq, it seems that we should apologize to France and to the Dixie Chicks. They were right after all.

IT WAS WONDERFUL to see in the newspaper where the schools are visiting the Veterans Affairs Medical Centers Uptown Division. These gentlemen helped keep our country free. They're the very reason that we're able to speak as we please and do as we please. So many people tend to forget it. Just a handshake means so much to them. I've been down there. I know that. And we should spend a little more time down there. Some of them have nobody. And just to see a face come in and smile at them means so much. Let's try to be nicer to our veterans in the hospital.

THE DIXIE CHICKS certainly have a right to say whatever they want and to disagree with the Bush administration. We also have a right not to listen to their music, buy their records or listen to the stations that play them. There are soldiers in America dying for those rights.

RICHMOND COUNTY, please place litter bags at all service stations in Augusta. And encourage all people to use them and not the streets for trash. And arrest those who litter.

LISTEN UP, PEOPLE. I don't care if the Dixie Chicks bash the president or disagree with our elected leaders. But it's just bad taste to go traipsing all over foreign countries and bashing your country's leaders. That's just poor taste.

HATS OFF TO OUR NEIGHBOR and citizen who spotted the local graffiti punk taking pictures of his crimes and therefore helped cops bring about his capture and arrest.

ALL THESE PEOPLE that are finding out that money is missing in different business just shows that somebody isn't doing their job. We the taxpayers should not have to pay for their loss. And what about the taxes that haven't been collected? Somebody needs to wake up and smell the roses and if an official is caught stealing money, they should be fired immediately and serve jail time. If you are going to represent me, then you need to do an honest job and be an honest person. Even if all the people under you are not watching, God is.

Trick71
Trick71 02/23/07 - 06:13 am
Since February is considered

Since February is considered "Black History" month, why is there not a month set aside for "White History"?

Reality
Reality 02/23/07 - 06:44 am
You could have a White

You could have a White History month, and be sued for racial discrimination.

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/23/07 - 07:19 am
you are so very right about

you are so very right about that!!

Chad
Chad 02/23/07 - 07:34 am
I say call it the Caucasion

I say call it the Caucasion American Male month. Women have there month, along with all other races.

naugliberal
naugliberal 02/23/07 - 07:42 am
As a white teacher who taught

As a white teacher who taught American History for 36 years believe me when I say that white history IS taught EVERY day. There should be no problem giving other people an occasional nod.

NEone
NEone 02/23/07 - 07:44 am
Richmond Co. put out trash

Richmond Co. put out trash bags at gas stations???? The good gas stations already do that. It's private property and not a county responsibility. Another socialist idea from someone who doesn't want to take personal responsibility.

tyrone jenkins
tyrone jenkins 02/23/07 - 08:19 am
Or better yet, lets have WET,

Or better yet, lets have WET, instead of BET.....hmmmm, wonder how far that would go?

mpbcw
mpbcw 02/23/07 - 08:27 am
In reference to the PeachCare

In reference to the PeachCare Program. I paid $29 a month for several years in order for my grandson to have medical insurance. About 3 times a year the coverage was cancelled for alleged non-payment. I am holding my cancelled checks ( that they cashed), but am told I did not pay. The program has always been in trouble, mismanaged and a rip off. The coverage stops when the child turns 19. They cancelled my coverage 2 months early and I was told that his birthday was close so they cancelled.

roymccoy
roymccoy 02/23/07 - 09:05 am
to the moron that stated we

to the moron that stated we should apologize to the dixie chicks and france for the "disaster" created by mr. bush, may i iask, when was the last time you were in iraq?????

keepingthefaith
keepingthefaith 02/23/07 - 09:07 am
Richmond County Juvenile

Richmond County Juvenile Probation officers and court should be held accountable. The young man(19) who stabbed his "friend"(14) has been on a documented 5 year roller coaster for:
alluding a minor, breaking and entering, harrassement, burglary, assault (another child received 28 stiches just this year) and now attempted murder...., who didn't see it coming?
I, unfortunately have a child(15 then, 16 now) on probation for burglary (a charge received while living with the other parent) I had him in school, he had a job, he met his probation officer 3 months later (by my urging) I had to report my son as a run away & having found alcohol/drugs in his room, was reported as well. The probation officer removed him from my home back to the other parent (4 hours away) who had just been released from prison a month earlier and then told my child to file a "Child Deprivation" charge against me after I had confronted his negligence. I issued 2 letters to the probation officers supervisor, till date, I have received no correspondence. My child lives on/off the streets here w/consent other parent/probation officer does nothing...can you see it coming?

digmick
digmick 02/23/07 - 09:30 am
wdcox, thank you for bringing

wdcox, thank you for bringing rationality to the debate. Next, some one will ask, "Why don't we have have 'People Who Refuse to Grow Wiser Month, or better known as Redneck Month?'

momma mia
momma mia 02/23/07 - 09:55 am
Why don't we just cover ALL

Why don't we just cover ALL history ALL the time and stop continuing to divide the races?

HUH2
HUH2 02/23/07 - 10:04 am
I wonder if the American

I wonder if the American Caucasian college fund or the National Alliance for the Advancement of White People could get the funds that their "African American" counterparts get. Prejudice exist on both sides of the color line.

ForHim
ForHim 02/23/07 - 10:09 am
It seems to me that we should

It seems to me that we should neither have white history month or black history month or anything else that would segregate any race, gender, nationality, etc. Just teach history, all inclusive, all the time. Then whites can't complain about black history month, blacks can't complain that information about black leaders/heroes isn't being taught. If we need to rewrite history books to include this, then do it. It would be a lot cheaper than the time, money and effort we spend griping, grumbling, suing, etc. to have something in history books that should have been there in the first place. If we want things to balance, let's balance them. Not tip the scale.

illini2
illini2 02/23/07 - 10:15 am
Abe Lincoln gave us the Civil

Abe Lincoln gave us the Civil War? No, the traitors from the treasonous southern states who seseded from the United States started the war. Lincoln simply put the despicable vermon in their place

HUH2
HUH2 02/23/07 - 10:18 am
The war of Northern agreesion

The war of Northern agreesion was just that! Nothing civil about it. How 'bout them Bears Illini?

rakkassan
rakkassan 02/23/07 - 10:29 am
How about them Falcons. HUH?

How about them Falcons. HUH?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 02/23/07 - 10:33 am
I believe the Blacks in this

I believe the Blacks in this country should read George Orwell's "Animal Farm." It tell's their story in this country almost exactly. A group that was truly oppressed at one time earns their independants, but over time begins to be exactly like those they triumphed over. Blacks have even managed to get laws and official policies enacted that serve to discriminate against those not like themselves. Affirmative Action, and Minority preferences for Government contracts is just a couple. They are eveywhere. They have even managed to make it "Politically Incorrect" to suggest that these programs are racist.

"Four legs good....two legs better!"

_kpc_
_kpc_ 02/23/07 - 10:34 am
Before you correct my

Before you correct my spelling, I know I spelled Independence incorrectly. Don't nitpick the small things.

SouthAugustaBoy
SouthAugustaBoy 02/23/07 - 10:36 am
The War of Northern

The War of Northern Aggression was caused when Abraham Lincoln ordered the invasion of the peace loving soverign county to the South. That is the simple truth: no invasion, no war. Does illini2 also considers George Washington, Patrick Henry etc., "descpicable vermin" for rebelling against a tyrannical foreign goverment?

a2
a2 02/23/07 - 10:37 am
What have you got to complain

What have you got to complain about? America got 400 years of free labor on the backs of black men and women. Don't you suppose they should get paid?
Most major cities and the housing (big plantations) were built by using free labor.
At least you could be courteous on these sites. You owe big time America!

rakkassan
rakkassan 02/23/07 - 10:42 am
At least get your history

At least get your history straight.
November 6, 1860 - Abraham Lincoln, who had declared "Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free..." is elected president.

Dec 20, 1860 - South Carolina secedes from the Union. Followed within two months by Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas.

Feb 9, 1861 - The Confederate States of America is formed with Jefferson Davis, a West Point graduate and former U.S. Army officer, as president.

March 4, 1861 - Abraham Lincoln is sworn in as 16th President of the United States of America.

Fort Sumter Attacked

April 12, 1861 - At 4:30 a.m. Confederates under Gen. Pierre Beauregard open fire with 50 cannons upon Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina. The Civil War begins.

So who started the Civil War?

a2
a2 02/23/07 - 10:49 am
Who cares?

Who cares?

peonynut
peonynut 02/23/07 - 10:50 am
As a former probation officer

As a former probation officer I will tell you up front, they do not care what your child does or what the adults on probation do, all they care about is the bottom line. If you work for probation and care then you are in trouble.
One other thing, people buy a dictionary, they are not that expensive.

Da Voice Inside Your Head
Da Voice Inside Your Head 02/23/07 - 10:54 am
QUESTION? Where would the

QUESTION? Where would the BLACK folk in this country be if they weren't sold to the slave traders by their own race? What is the infant death rate in Africa? What are the rates from disease? How many millions of blacks in Africa were and are being killed in revolutions and by corrupt BLACK led government (READ dIcators)? It's a given slavery is wrong. NO QUESTION! But sometime some good comes from Evil. Not all slave owners mistreated their slaves. Some set them free.So maybe some slave desendents should be glad their ancestors were brought here rather than left in Africa.AS FOR THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES, it was mostly about economics as are most wars. Slavery was a side issue that was blown out of porportion to it's real importance. Freeing someone is rated higher than economics. Politices was alive in well even then.

a2
a2 02/23/07 - 10:56 am
Whoever got this subject

Whoever got this subject started , as usual, does not know how to have a conversation about the articles mentioned that we are supposed to be commenting on.
They've got a burr up their b... and just wants to spout a lot a stupid stuff.

Try to live a happy life and stop stirring up hate and discontent.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 02/23/07 - 10:58 am
For starters, I haven't been

For starters, I haven't been alive for 400 years and I doubt you have either. Secondly Mr or Ms a2, All of these cities that were built by the free labor are enjoyed by all races today. No one alive benifited or was oppressed by American Salvery, therefore no one should be punished or recieve reparations. What if my ancesters were both slaves and slave owners.....how do you deal with that? The best thing to do is, aknowlege that oppression happened, prevent it from happinging again, and stop living as if you personally are a victim. Two wrongs don't make a right, so oppressing the oppressor is not the answer.

SouthAugustaBoy
SouthAugustaBoy 02/23/07 - 11:01 am
I teach History. Did the

I teach History. Did the slavery issue and Abraham Lincoln's election contribute to Secession and the formation of the Confederate States of America? Absolutely. Did the attack on Fort Sumter ( located on soverign CSA territory and illegally occupied by a foreign power) cause the war? No. Again, without the Northern invasion of the CSA there would have been no war. There is a big difference between contributing factors and causation.

DCFONE
DCFONE 02/23/07 - 11:02 am
What an absolute waste of

What an absolute waste of time, space and brain power this morning rants and comments are. Throw out a real debate subject. We all know what's right & wrong, to debate it is just working backwards. No one , or very few, will change their minds anyhow. Augusta is as backward as it ever was, and untill the comm. recognize that the mayer and other younger people on the board DO have " forward reaching" minds and do not dwell on the past, Augusta will stay the same. Only the voters can change this. My question is this? Why are so many Augustans so willing to live in the past, and fear a progressive future?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 02/23/07 - 11:07 am
I have a dream, where a man

I have a dream, where a man is judged by the content of his character and not by the color of his skin. Ban all minority preference programs, and start judging people by their own merits, and not those they inherited.