Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

IF BARACK OBAMA is elected president, it is because people are tired of the status quo, the same old runaround and double talk that our government has become, that our politicians have become. Our government is way past due for an overhaul. We need politicians who represent the people, not big-money interests. We need a fresh look at our future and at who we choose to handle our interests.

POLITICIANS SHOULD NOT be deciding what our troops in Iraq need or don't need. That is a decision that should be left up to those qualified and trained to do such. The soldiers and their leaders in Iraq, they are the ones closest to the situation and best able to conclude what is necessary to put an end to our involvement. Taking that power away from our generals and putting it in the hands of a Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi or any other power-hungry politico is a big mistake. Give our military a little credit ... they are the ones really paying the price for this war.

A RANT TO THE person who called the Dixie Chicks traitors. You are the traitor. Just because somebody says something you don't like, you think they ought to be in jail. What kind of American are you? A Nazi-American? You and the rest of your kind are the ones who need to leave our great country, and the sooner the better.

I WANT TO RANT about our American flag being flown over the X-Mart on Gordon Highway. It is a disgrace to all Americans. It is battered, torn and dirty. It needs to be removed. I am proud of our country, and that is not the way our flag is supposed to be displayed. If I could, I would remove it myself.

I SAW THAT PLAY Always Patsy Cline, and the woman who played Patsy Cline was extraordinary. I felt like I had spent the evening with the real Patsy Cline. It was fabulous!

I CAN'T BELIEVE what a wonderful show that play Always Patsy Cline was. The two ladies who made it great were so talented. I just wanted to give them a rave.

I AGREE THAT THE Augusta airport's big new building is not needed; better fares are.

FEDERAL FACILITIES DID not lower the flag to half-staff in honor of congressman Charlie Norwood's death. Why? He was a big supporter of the Savannah River Site.

RAVE FOR THE ASU basketball team for its Peach Belt Conference championship.

HMM, RECORD SNOWFALL amounts, record number of days below freezing and record wind chill factors. Explain global warming one more time.

HERE'S A RAVE TO Jay Leno, who hit the nail on the head in his monologue when he said, "They're gearing up for the Democratic National Convention - or as we call it in L.A., the Oscars."

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/20/07 - 01:34 am
What makes this ranter think

What makes this ranter think that the decisions made for running the war in Iraq are not now and always were in the hands of politicos? I agree that the generals need to be allowed to fight this war the way they see fit, but that already has not been happening, and that is why we are in this mess. What makes anyone think Hillary could be any worse than Georgie Porgie and Rumpsfool? I keep telling you all, "The Female of the Species Is More Deadly Than the Male." (Rudyard Kipling) A woman might be more no-nonsense than any man. I don't really think Hillary can get elected, but I would not mind at all.

jdcooper
jdcooper 02/20/07 - 03:53 am
Let's see.... Our soldiers

Let's see.... Our soldiers haven't been supplied with the body armor that has been requested time and time again... to the point where the soldier's family pitches in to send it to them.... and you want to talk about Hillary taking what they need away? How about credible intelligence to protect their lives... that's something else that hasn't been supplied by those glorious people that were running things!

jdcooper
jdcooper 02/20/07 - 03:56 am
And oh... before I go to

And oh... before I go to bed... That "battered" American Flag over the X-Mart.... should be a symbol of our freedoms!!! There is NO legitimate reason for that business to be bushwacked like it has been! If ya don't like what they sell- then stay out. It's supposed to be a "free" country...... or is it?

jdcooper
jdcooper 02/20/07 - 03:57 am
Clinton-Obama 2008!!!

Clinton-Obama 2008!!!

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 02/20/07 - 05:41 am
jdcooper knows nothing about

jdcooper knows nothing about either soldiers or intelligence from his rants. Oh, if life were only as simple as people like he/she think.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 02/20/07 - 06:32 am
jdcooper---Its not the

jdcooper---Its not the location of the flag---it is the condition it is in-DUH

PAW
PAW 02/20/07 - 07:16 am
This is a BIG RAVE for David

This is a BIG RAVE for David Letterman. I love David Letterman

mhw
mhw 02/20/07 - 07:44 am
there will always be wars,

there will always be wars, our greatest wars is in our own backyard.
Look at our children, they are for the most part, lazy, fat, disobedient drug addicts, and a disgrace to this country! How many parents really know what their kids do? How many really care? Look around you, wake up!
The next time you go to a convenient store gas station, grocery store, or your own neighborhood, you would be surprised who sells drugs to our children, or would you? Do you really care?

Someone needs to start a war on illegal drug dealers, before our country is completely destroyed from within our own borders.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL GOOD MEN AND WOMEN TO COME TO THE AID OF THEIR COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!

THERE ARE STILL ENOUGH GOOD KIDS AND ADULTS WHO CARE, PLEASE LETS WIN THE WAR WITHIN.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 02/20/07 - 08:03 am
I can only laugh at jdcooper

I can only laugh at jdcooper ranting about the x-rated store. (isn't it closed down?) Does he really not realize that the ranter was ranting about the condition of the flag, and not the store it self? How stupid can you get? Please allow me to stamp 'ignoramus' on his forehead!

CSRAider
CSRAider 02/20/07 - 08:05 am
About the body armour every

About the body armour every soldier wants it even if counting bed linen in the ware house. Take a look at whos complaining about body armour before you get to crazy. Politics in war stinks they will mess it up!!! Well I understand the old flag but you do have to keep your standards up! Clinton-OBama OH NO! David Letterman I dont stay up that late! The kids i coach run the hill some get sick. Their will be a few good young athelets as long as im around.

hownowbrowncow
hownowbrowncow 02/20/07 - 08:40 am
Baseball, what is your point?

Baseball, what is your point? Your sentence structure is at the 9th grade level. Go back to school for a few more years before you post again.

intheknow
intheknow 02/20/07 - 08:44 am
How in the hotel do you blame

How in the hotel do you blame Hillary Clinton for lack of body protection? You can pay $900.00 for toilet seat but not the vest. typical Republicans always try to blame someone else for failure but poke your chest out for sucess. I read his rant about the flag as meaning that the owners rights were violated and in doing so, you walk all over the flag that represents that right. Just one way of looking at it. And before some yahoo respond I never said I agreed with it flying in the condition it is in.

what
what 02/20/07 - 09:09 am
To jdcooper, YankeesFan, and

To jdcooper, YankeesFan, and apes*it: If you had read the rant correctly concerning the Flag flying over X-Mart. It was only talking about the condition of the flag not the store itself or the products it sold. Pay Attention!!

peonynut
peonynut 02/20/07 - 09:17 am
A politician is a politician

A politician is a politician is a politician.

cantgetright
cantgetright 02/20/07 - 09:37 am
As a vetran of the first gulf

As a vetran of the first gulf war and one who has a brother on his second tour , a son and nephew about to start their first, let me say this. First of all, I'm sick of people saying what WE need to do. If you are not going or watching a loved one go there is no we. Second , if the politicians would let the soliders do their job without interferance they could wrap this up and go home. Lastly, the democratic congress is slapping our warriors in the face with their political agenda which is normally based solely on polls and not the reality of war.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/20/07 - 09:47 am
IntheKnow I agree with your

IntheKnow I agree with your perception of the interpretation of jdcooper's post. He was only adding the comment about the treatment of the store when it was opened, and he is correct. The way the commission wasted time battling against them was outrageous! All those XRATED clubs in the downtown district of Augusta on live display, and they hollow about a XRATED book and video store across town on Gordan Hwy if my memory serves me correctly. Sure the flag either needs to come down altogether or be replaced, but not allowed to fly in that condition.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/20/07 - 09:53 am
cytoranger, as long as the

cytoranger, as long as the feds are spending "WE" tax dollars on the war and the troops, "WE" are qualified to say "WE." Regardless of whether "WE" have family/friends over there. Bush has placed "ALL" of us in this mess, and "WE"didn't have a choice! 911 was "WE!" "WE" all have felt the hit whether "WE" were there or not! How cold and nasty can you be? But then you are entitled to your opinion, and we all know what opinions are like!

whatever1
whatever1 02/20/07 - 10:13 am
custombuilt53--what a crude

custombuilt53--what a crude thing to say. Cytoranger is correct, if you don't have someone involved with the war then you don't know what it is like. Many of the troops don't want to be involved but it is their job--and like any job you do what you are told--granted it is a most dangerous job with the possibility of terrible outcomes for many. The President did what he thought was best at the time. You can not blame everything on one man, let's face it, it took years of planning for 911--everyone missed the signs for whatever reason. We it this country have become too concern with always being PC and look at what it has gotten us--I agree we are in a mess in this country and it is going to take all the people working together to overcome the issues--we need a strong leader--it is a shame that Ann Richards is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCFONE
DCFONE 02/20/07 - 10:17 am
The lasst person we need as

The lasst person we need as pres of the US is Osama Bin Barack. His religion is Muslim, he thinks he's going to get in on his " pretty face" and the ignorance of the voters. Read his history and know the truth.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/20/07 - 10:21 am
I don't know what everyone

I don't know what everyone ate this morning for breakfast but it must have not settled well because comments are sarcastic and vicious this morning. Forbid someone to misread a comment or have poor sentence structure. None of us are perfect so I guess we'll all have 'ignoramus' stamped on our forehead. I believe corrections can be made without insults.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/20/07 - 10:39 am
Whatever, you reiterated what

Whatever, you reiterated what I said. It will take ALL people to overcome the issues, so that makes it "WE". GOD says have compassion for all people...this means "WE" caring for the warriors as well as the civilians. I think it was harsh for Cytoranger to attempt to disregard what "WE" say and feel,as if "WE have no right to say or feel because the troops are not related to some of us at all, whether we have family/friends over there or not. Most if not all of us chose our fields of employment and have to either endure what the job brings with positive and negative support from others, or retire or something. Maybe you need to re-read the ranger's post again! Making the statement,"he's sick of people saying "WE!" If we showed no concern or compassion at all, what then?

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 02/20/07 - 10:40 am
President Obama of the United

President Obama of the United States>>>>>>>>How scary is that???....Do not believe for a second that this person is not a closet muslim............. this guy is a puppet that muslim nations are using. they have most assuredley been grooming him for some time..........are the American people really THAT stupid?????????

momma mia
momma mia 02/20/07 - 10:52 am
Custombuilt53, I completely

Custombuilt53, I completely agree with you. It is most definitely WE, because we are all paying the price in one way or another.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/20/07 - 11:00 am
I don't know DFM...I am still

I don't know DFM...I am still hot about cytoranger's comment! Maybe if "WE" respond to the troops when they come home the way US citizens did during the Vietnam war when they came home, it would be more accepted by the ranger. I can always agree to disagree..might get hard, but I have been known to do it. My brother did 1 tour in the gulf war and 2 tours in Iraq, my niece just came home 2 months ago after doing 1 tour in Iraq, and I am so glad they are home now on our soil, BUT I am still concerned about what the others, mostly children are enduring over there, and I don't know anyone else over there! I guess it's compassion.

ForHim
ForHim 02/20/07 - 11:15 am
I believe cytoranger has a

I believe cytoranger has a valid argument. We can sit in our comfy cozy chairs, eat our nice fattening meals, watch our TV and pretty much do what we want to do. I think we owe it to our soldiers to pay these taxes and then step back and let them do their job. And if that means purchasing the items they need to do it with, then that is what they should do. The consequences of them not doing their job to the best of their ability is not only the possibility of them losing their life ... it is the possibility of us losing ours as well. CONGRESS said yes to this war as well as the President ... that included democrats, republicans and independents alike. My hat is off to cytoranger, his family members in active duty and all other troops making the ultimate sacrifice for me and my family. May God bless each and every one of them and keep them safe.

jack
jack 02/20/07 - 11:55 am
jdcooper, you need to get

jdcooper, you need to get your head out of your posterior. Soldiers no longer deploy without everything they need for fighting. Shortages of equipment in the Reserve components is the fault of Congress in not fully funding the Reserves, but expecting them to serve/deploy. Secondly, the rant concerning the x-mart building was about the condition of the flag and not what they sell/sold.

tigger 2
tigger 2 02/20/07 - 12:03 pm
Let's get real neither (big

Let's get real neither (big legs) clinton or barnstorm o bimminy would be good for this country we need a strong leader to lead us through this time in our history, read the koran either change your religion and be a muslim or death to the infidels, who in the hell do you think are the infidels....

CantTrustaDumbocrat
CantTrustaDumbocrat 02/20/07 - 12:14 pm
I can't believe I am saying

I can't believe I am saying this but Custombuilt I agree with you. We usually differ in our thoughts but on this I feel you are 100% right. This is OUR country that is sending our sons and daughters to war. No, it may not be my bloodline but we are all Americans. I feel for and pray for these soldiers and their families everyday. It was our people (Americans) that was attacked on 9/11 and that is our people over on foreign soil fighting. So yes cytoranger, I say proudly say we when speaking of my country and it"s people.

whynot
whynot 02/20/07 - 12:18 pm
Tigger2, it must be you.

Tigger2, it must be you.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 02/20/07 - 12:22 pm
Barack is a devout

Barack is a devout Christian...and proud of it. How many of you complaining are "closet Christians"?

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...