Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

IF MCG PRESIDENT Dan Rahn actually cared about Augusta and the students, then he would have built his new medical school at the old location of Regency Mall so the students would have enough room to park.

JUDGE EARLY SAID HE was fond of James Brown. I hope he will honor James Brown's wishes in his decision.

I HAVE A SPECIAL rave for our residents association in Goshen Plantation. They are constantly cleaning up the trash in our subdivision. They keep our roads safe by calling the sheriff's department to patrol our area, and thanks to the marshal's office for always enforcing the code.

A HUGE RANT FOR THE woman legislator in Atlanta who would not want to pass a law prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving a vehicle. The reason is because she does it herself. It causes more accidents, and I can't understand how she thinks she's representing the people of Georgia.

THIS IS TO THE PEOPLE who say that it's OK for policemen to speed. Nobody is above the law. If a crime is happening, then the police officer should have on his sirens. Other people are driving also and their lives are in danger.

THIS IS TO THE PEOPLE bashing the person that wrote in about officers driving too fast for no reason. It is proven that some officers do abuse their authority. For example, a while back, an officer flew past me dashing in and out of traffic, going to Wal-Mart. And all he was doing was shopping. I was going there myself, and he just wanted to get there faster than anyone else because he could.

HALF THE TIME, I try to make a cell phone call and I dial 706 and the number. The operator tells me I have to dial the area code and I already did. Something is wrong here. I wish we could get this straightened out.

I WANT TO MAKE a rant for the people complaining about the Westview Cemetery. Magnolia Cemetery is just as bad. I spoke with someone in November about how they tore up my grandparents' grave at Westview and my dad's grave at Magnolia. I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone and do something about this yet.

I WOULD LIKE TO make a comment about the policemen speeding. I'm sorry, but I have to agree; they do. One passed me one day flying and I thought it was going to a call. I happened to see the number on the car and when I got down the street, he was at the gas station pumping gas. There was only a two- or three-minute lapse. They do drive recklessly. One came within inches of hitting me and my grandchildren in the backseat. I guess he was going to a call but he had no sirens or lights on and ran a stop sign. We need them, but they need to think about the public when they are speeding.

I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE a rave to the Martinez and Columbia County fire department on Old Louisville Road. This is going out to John Franklin and Zack Brown. Late at night at around 1 a.m., I had a problem with my dishwasher and they were there in about three minutes. They had a technician come by this morning. My house could have caught on fire, and I want to thank them for coming out there quickly and being professional. They knew what they were doing and I appreciate it.

If you have an opinion, call the Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

localman
localman 02/19/07 - 08:13 am
Saturday I saw a cop at a car

Saturday I saw a cop at a car wash in Aiken around lunch. I guess he got impatient to get out because he thru on his blue lights to stop the 2 northbound lanes of traffic on Pine Log. He then turn soutbound. When I caught up up to him, he was turning into the WifeSaver. No blue lights on. Two other cop cars was there, backed into parking spots. Hope he had a nice lunch.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 02/19/07 - 09:28 am
Just the tip of the

Just the tip of the Iceburg!!!!

Edward1968
Edward1968 02/19/07 - 10:07 am
What about the Richomd County

What about the Richomd County deputies leaving their cars idling in front of an operable gas pump in the summer w/AC on while inside the BP station on HWY 1 @ Morgan Rd. They are always just standing around talking to the clerks. In Columbia Co. I have twice seen deputies park in the handicapped spaces at the Martinez Postal Complex while doing nothing more than going in to mail letters or wait in line for the next clerk to help him. If I did that I would and should get cited.

All About Me
All About Me 02/19/07 - 10:19 am
If you these things why not

If you these things why not get a patrol car number and call it in to the supervisors. Or better yet call it into the Sheriff. I guarantee Mike Hunt in Aiken County won't put up with it.

peonynut
peonynut 02/19/07 - 11:17 am
In Richmond County deputies

In Richmond County deputies are not even required to have more than a GED to get a job. Some, not all, get quite important in their own minds when they put on that uniform and some do abuse the uniform and all that goes with it. Abuse of power in law enforcement is everywhere but unless you know for sure that a deputy has not received a call to run silent then you should keep your mouth shut. If you do see an abuse of power then do something about it other than shoot your mouth off in an anonymous forum.

CSRAresident
CSRAresident 02/19/07 - 12:03 pm
You think they speed in

You think they speed in Richmond county? Take a drive over to North Augusta and watch the NAPS 500 in action. It appears they are practicing for the Fast and Furious III movie.

HUH2
HUH2 02/19/07 - 12:18 pm
They wear badges instead of

They wear badges instead of mask!!!

jdsgirl
jdsgirl 02/19/07 - 12:58 pm
Regarding the Old Louisville

Regarding the Old Louisville Fire Station employees - I agree, they are awesome! We had a fire a while back, and they were there within minutes, and really did a great job. My family and I think they are the best!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/19/07 - 01:28 pm
How're you gonna get the

How're you gonna get the number off a speeding blur? And if they are sitting still, let them see you copying the numbers at your own risk! To me, having a GED just means a person could have finished school but didn't, and I would not hire them for anything!

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 02:48 pm
The GED is not the problem.

The GED is not the problem. In Richmond County Gov't as long as you have a regular HS diploma or GED diploma, you are qualified. I am sure all the officers are not GED recipients. That is not the reason they are acting like idiots. They act like idiots because they have boss hog Ronnie Strength to back them up when they do wrong...(unless the media make a issue out of it, and Strength is against the wall, and has no other alternative accept to execute some type of disciplinary action). Strength is the problem, just as a parent is the problem with their child. If a parent allows a child to break rules and regulations around the home,then that child will do that with the blessings of the parents. Remember the officer about 3 months ago going down Broad St speeding, he came up on the railroad track like a bat out of hell, and couldn't renegotiate that track.He went up in the air and came down with cruiser flipped over on the top with the wheels pointing to the sky. I was passing the bus station at the time, and pulled over cause he looked wreckless, and he crashed! You didn't hear anymore in the media about that accident, and they were there. Strength gives them new cars.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 02:57 pm
I would like to think that

I would like to think that Strength is executing some type of inner-departmental disciplinary actions towards these officers, eventhough it would seem hard to believe since you see so much of this behavior! You don't want to start making an issue out of it personally, because you will find yourself being targeted on the streets for insurance checks,license checks,seatbelt checks, and the list goes on. Once that Gray(blue) bands together against you, you will have a problem that you can't readily prove. The commission knows this is happening and does nothing about it...what does that tell you, since that is who you will ultimately end up complaining to after talking to Strength? Augusta is Dukes of Hazard and Strength is Boss Hog!
Just get out of the way, and choose your battles wisely!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/19/07 - 03:09 pm
From what I hear, Lincoln

From what I hear, Lincoln County is no better off as far as the Sheriff Department. They have a mess over there, but it must be kept quiet, cause I don't hear much about it.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 03:19 pm
I have always been told that

I have always been told that the sheriff in any city, especially one of this magnitude is always in charge! I heard the same thing about Burke County. I work with a lot of those citizens, and hear a lot of their horrow stories. And the cute part about it is the citizens continue to put them in office......the darnest thing!

ShaniS
ShaniS 02/19/07 - 03:24 pm
just sad. ged/hs diploma does

just sad. ged/hs diploma does not differ from college grads!!!! they are truly just as bad on the job. any job

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 03:26 pm
ShaniS I have to agree! This

ShaniS I have to agree! This is a sad situation.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/19/07 - 03:31 pm
This one actually unseated

This one actually unseated the incumbent who had been in office years and years. Did you hear about the black prisoner who hung himself within half an hour of being locked in their jail? There is lawsuit in the works for that. Then there was the prisoner who escaped and they did not notice until he was arrested in the next county and were called to ask if they were missing a prisoner. The one who unseats the old sheriff might not always be a bargain, either.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 02/19/07 - 03:32 pm
You have it right Crum. I

You have it right Crum. I feel the same way. This problem has got to be address to the public, by Ronnie Strength. We really need to know why, as much as everyone complains, nothing has been done about these (so called, Above The Law Boys.) If there were disciplinary actions wouldn't we have seen a change by now?????????????

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 03:42 pm
Curmudgeon I heard about the

Curmudgeon I heard about the hanging guy, but I missed the escapee. The last chief McClain was from Tampa Florida and was a friend of Charles DeVaney, who offered him that chief position after he was ousted by the mayor of Tampa, who was then a strong female named Sandra Freeman. We loved her, she was no joke! Tampa grew to what it is now, when she was in office. Tampa was just like Augusta, GA, when I left for Germany in 1985. I I went back to visit family and friends and said my GOD what has happened. It was simply beautiful. Anything you want to get into in Tampa is there...you don't have to go the another city such as Atlanta to fulfill your desires. I think it's time for me to return home! Now, on the other hand the cops there, my brother included, as off the chain! I don't know the mayor there now, but I am told he does not have the control Sandra Freeman had. I guess now bad cops are all over the USA!

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 03:51 pm
Open records act downtown is

Open records act downtown is the only way to really tell if an officer is actually held accountable for his/her stupid actions. Sometimes if you know someone in that department, who is not a cop, they will give you information about these things. Very few people in the public wants to tackle this issue for fear of retaliation on the streets. Please hear what I am telling you AmericanRose. I personally don't think it's worth stopping me everytime I crank my SUV, or have them fail to respond readily to a mishap at my address in appropriate time. Choose ye this day, who you will battle with, cause you will need the strong armor. I hope your armor will be GOD'S GRACE and ARMOR!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/19/07 - 03:58 pm
I read that in very few cases

I read that in very few cases where an officer of the law violates someone's rights "under the color of law," very seldom are they prosecuted. By the way, how does one get charged with "attempted stalking?" As hazy as the definition of stalking itself must be, how on earth do they come up with any guidelines for that?? How about a ticket for attempting to run a red light? Custom, where were you in Germany, and were you military? My husband is from there and was also stationed there. I wish someone could transform Augusta into something really nice.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 04:14 pm
Spangdahlem, Germany with the

Spangdahlem, Germany with the USAF. They had to pump sunshine up there! Curmudgeon you are so crazy...attempted stalking?. The attempting to run a red light is quickly racing through a caution light before the red light.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 04:18 pm
I have been told by 2

I have been told by 2 commissioners that they will not allow Augusta, GA to ever be level with Atlanta, GA. They purposely strive to stagnate the growth of this city for that reason. Lee Beard use to say the same thing all the time. It's the one thing that they all seem to agree on. They speak one thing to the public and their districts, but behind the scene, it's another thing.

All About Me
All About Me 02/19/07 - 04:51 pm
Yes the officers have to go

Yes the officers have to go in front of the review board for every action regarding wrecks and complaints. If you people continue to believe that there is nothing to be done about an officer or the Sheriff then you need to remember your Represenatives of Georgia. I promise you I have no problem reporting things I see. If for some reason they were to begin harassing me I would go higher up and bring the media into it. They might not would like me but they Damn sure would learn to respect me. They can only intimidate you if you let them. And yes God's armor is with me every day.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/19/07 - 04:56 pm
I'm not crazy, Lincoln County

I'm not crazy, Lincoln County charged someone with that. I should think it would not be difficult to out-CLASS Atlanta. The Augusta area needs economic growth, too. I wonder how Tampa did it?

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 05:27 pm
Babyblonde you are so right

Babyblonde you are so right about what you are saying. I use those tactics on my job with management. You are so right, they will respect you while hasseling you in a very sophisticated way that you will not be able to prove. Ronnie Strength's connections goes in the same circle as everyone else, BUT when he meets/talks with these connections they HEAR HIM. I have a coworker who tried to use her representative against that department, and lo and behold eventually she was fired and blackballed. YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD OF THE GBI GOING AGAINST STRENGTH, whatever decision he makes, they will back him right or wrong! Strength's long arm of the law reaches a lot farther than the citizens of this city. BUT now if you feel you need to challenge Strength, I say go ahead, because with the armor of GOD it may be time for a citizen to win a battle against him, and that citizen could be you. Again, I agree with your methods, eventhough I don't have law problems...I just don't want to put my home in jepordy. I am trying to do things in my home that takes a job...and I am to old to be aggravated. I will stand flatfooted at him and let him know he is wrong as well as a few other things.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 05:38 pm
Curmudgeon when Sandra

Curmudgeon when Sandra Freeman was mayor in Tampa, FL she had big visions for Tampa, FL. So I would have to say that is the way she did it, by being a visionary of growth. This lady was awesome. She didn't do what they do here by channeling all the growth and money in the "aristocractic" areas of the city, she rebuilt the ghettos as well, she didn't see black areas or white areas as is done here, she saw Tampa as a whole. That is the reason I believe the LORD allowed her to excel while being mayor. She had her armor and he fought her fight while opening the doors of heaven for her to succeed. She was GREAT! The citizens wanted her to run again, but she had done her thing and was ready to move on from what I was told. I don't know anything about the man who is mayor now.

whatever1
whatever1 02/19/07 - 06:15 pm
custombuilt53, The mayor of

custombuilt53, The mayor of Tampa is Pam Iorio--not a man. She was elected a couple of years ago.

gareject
gareject 02/19/07 - 06:21 pm
People make choices every day

People make choices every day to serve the public and defend our nation, sacraficing their own lifes to better yours and yet insted of thanks you take the mistakes of a few and condem the whole. You should be ashamed. There are good people with GEDs/College Degrees.What does it matter when one human is willing to give his life to protect yours? Yes, there are people in uniform who take advantage and misuse ther authority, but there are twice as many who are truley dedicated to serve and protect the citizens of this state and country. You complain about officers speeding, what if you were the one that had been forced into your own home at gun point and forced to do the unthinkable, but somehow managed to get to the phone and dial those three numbers. How would you expect that person comeing to your aid to drive? Some times people make bad decisions and do things against SOP but there are always those who truley believe in what thay do and what they are willing to sacrafice for the benifit of you. So the next time you watch TV and see the death of another public servent who sacraficed their own life to benifit yours ask then who was wrong.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/19/07 - 06:43 pm
Whatever thinks for the

Whatever thinks for the information, I hope she is as awesome as Sandy Freeman

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 02/19/07 - 06:50 pm
well put rabun31; refer to

well put rabun31; refer to the article about the two police officers that were killed over 20 feet of roadway in Abbeville. He's been convicted, just needs killing.