Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for the Columbia County animal control. We recently had a lost dog and they were so helpful and so considerate. We had a chance to go in and tour their facility and they are so friendly with all the animals and we just appreciate Columbia County animal control and the job that they do and thank you so much for all your compassion and your help in finding our lost pet.

PEOPLE OUGHT not to allow their dogs to use other people's yards for potty purposes.

I WAS WATCHING the Grammys last night and every American watching it ought to be sick to their stomach. Those traitors, the Dixie Chicks, received awards and were applauded for degrading our country. They should be in jail, not receiving awards for musical exhibitions, whatever they call what they do.

ATTENDED THE Augusta Ballet's WinterWorks performance on Feb. 1 - Spellbinding!

OK, WE LOST A COUPLE of choppers in Iraq. That should be it. Time to give up, bring the troops home now and throw ourselves on the mercy of the Islamo-fanatics. Maybe they'll let some of us live.

DOWNTOWN AUGUSTA should try to develop a new retail, dinning and entertainment district for the area. A new James Brown Museum would be a good place to start. Locate it between Telfair Street and Walton Way. I would use the Augusta Canal as the centerpiece and develop around it.

TO THE MAN who stole my purse and broke into another car on Friday afternoon on Belair Road. I hope your tires fall off and your heater don't work. Just remember you better watch your back. Mama is mad and my dog is even madder. Get a job!

A RANT to Richmond County government. I think if the city of Augusta would like to erect a tribute to James Brown, they should think of something a tad less cheesy. Bright lights around his statue and a pay jukebox featuring Mr. Brown's music is really classless and Mr. Brown deserves better than that. This idea just goes to show you the mentality of Richmond County government. Why not open a museum downtown featuring all those things and more? Lord knows there are plenty of empty buildings to choose from! I'd go! And so wouldn't a lot of other people!

BOTTOM LINE. We invaded a country and we use torture. This is wrong.

A HUGE RAVE to Dave who witnessed my car being hit last Saturday in the parking lot at Sportsman's Link. This young man stayed with us until the police arrived and even bought us a soda while we waited. Kudos to Dave for being such a nice person.

If you have an opinion you want to share, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

Larry Downs
Larry Downs 02/16/07 - 07:05 am
In regards to the comment

In regards to the comment concerning the Dixie Chicks and their opinion. That is what it is all about, freedom of speach in this country. If Pres. Bush was judged for what he has done for this country and our dead soldiers, he would have been Tared and Feathered along time ago.

CSRAider
CSRAider 02/16/07 - 07:56 am
Im with You Downs Plus they

Im with You Downs Plus they dont hurt the ears either.

naugliberal
naugliberal 02/16/07 - 08:23 am
The Dixie Chicks didn't

The Dixie Chicks didn't degrade our country, they degraded the idiot-in-chief. If anybody should be in jaik it should be that grinning fool.

intheknow
intheknow 02/16/07 - 08:42 am
WelL I see that they have

WelL I see that they have started giving the in house patients phone calls again. I do not even listen to the Dixie Chicks, but I will defend their rights whether they are here or in another country. Some of the so called " Conservatives " feel that its okay to say what you want as long as you are on U.S. soil, but as soon as you leave our air space, shut the you know what up. Talk about stupid.

digmick
digmick 02/16/07 - 09:34 am
What a moronic rant about the

What a moronic rant about the Dixie Chicks. The Dixie Chick uttered one comment about President Bush not a negative word about our country. If negative comments about politicians including sitting presidents, then Rush Limbuagh is a traitor too.

buddydawg
buddydawg 02/16/07 - 09:53 am
Some of the people who

Some of the people who actually voted on the Grammy awards have admitted the motivations behind their votes. The awards were for political correctness, not artistic merit. That being said, I could care less about them. Grammy or not.

fergie01
fergie01 02/16/07 - 10:01 am
i don't like the dixie

i don't like the dixie chicks. never did. but freedom of speech is what we have fought for too, so there it is. as the saying goes" if everyone liked the same things,what a boring place this would be"

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 02/16/07 - 10:02 am
I do not feel like a museum

I do not feel like a museum would draw folks to downtown Augusta. At this point in time JOBS would be the only solution.

imdstuf
imdstuf 02/16/07 - 10:06 am
tgif!

tgif!

jredneckgurl
jredneckgurl 02/16/07 - 10:13 am
I agree with the dog and the

I agree with the dog and the potty.. I live in an apartment where we are not allowed to have any pets and lord knows I would love to get a dog.. but the people across the street let their dog run all over the neighborhood... and this ANIMAL just so happens to poop in my drive way where I get out of my car... KEEP YOUR DOG IN YOUR OWN YARD!!!

mommato2
mommato2 02/16/07 - 10:26 am
The Dixie Chicks did not

The Dixie Chicks did not degrade our country, they didn't even degrade our president, if you want to call him that. No one can degrade Bush, b/c he degrades himself and us with the way he thinks he's running this country. Our country has gone to hell in a handbasket and he's the one carrying it. Have you taken a look at these people who are dying in Iraq? Take a look at "This Week w/ George Stephanopaulos" on Sunday mornings. He has a memoriam for those that have lost their lives in Iraq and most of them are younger than me. I am 25, those are children basically over there. Everyone needs to wakeup and understand that we are no longer fighting a war for our freedom, we are losing lives for no reason. Fighting a war for our freedom is what the wars from generations ago fought about. This war is just an egotistical challenge for Bush, it has nothing to do with 9/11, if it did, we'd have done what we needed to do in AFGHANISTAN, not be Iraq, where we do not belong. Then our troops would be home, safe, and with their families.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 02/16/07 - 10:26 am
Not only dogs--keep your cats

Not only dogs--keep your cats at home too! People forget there is a leash law for cats as well as dogs in Richmond County, even though it's not enforced. People in my neighborhood let their cats run everywhere in the stupid belief that "cats should roam free". Cats can cause a lot of destruction and a mess too. And then the owners just move off and leave them, leaving the problem to the neighborhood. The cats are getting under the houses and having kittens...and now the kittens are having their own kittens....these are pretty much feral animals. They are not my animals -- I do not feed them, nor would I ever harm them, but we're all getting sick of it.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 02/16/07 - 10:27 am
Not only dogs--keep your cats

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 02/16/07 - 10:34 am
There is nothing quite as

There is nothing quite as silly-looking as a cat on a leash.

former augusta resident1
former augusta resident1 02/16/07 - 10:46 am
To the ranter who thinks the

To the ranter who thinks the Dixie Chicks should be jailed: obviously you don't know one of the basic laws of our nation FREEDOM OF SPEECH. If our citizens were jailed for voicing their opinions we would be no better than Sadaam Hussein was. As the Mom of an Iraq war veteran I can tell you he said he knew within a week of being in country that democracy was not going to work there due to the intense sectarian loyalty there. The Iraqis are loyal to their religious sect and their Imam first before their country. Before anyone starts saying what a slacker my son probably was, I want you to know he was a highly decorated non com officer in a combat unit.

localman
localman 02/16/07 - 11:04 am
Tired of the dixie chicks.

Tired of the dixie chicks. moderately talented women whose 15 minutes of fame got extended. more talented C&W groups out there like SheDaisy, wreckers, etc.

easy breezy
easy breezy 02/16/07 - 11:30 am
AMEN, local man!

AMEN, local man!

ForHim
ForHim 02/16/07 - 12:00 pm
I have talked to and thanked

I have talked to and thanked many, many soldiers who have served in Iraq. I have never met even one that did not know what he/she was fighting for. I'm sure there are some that don't agree, but by far, it seems that the biggest portion do believe they are fighting the good fight ... protecting our soil from becoming a terrorist playground. They believe in what they are doing. They are over there seeing what is going on. Why should we complain, if they aren't?

kiddspur
kiddspur 02/16/07 - 12:11 pm
what is a grammy?????

what is a grammy?????

alias1
alias1 02/16/07 - 12:12 pm
considering filing

considering filing bankruptcy.... has anyone here done it?

digmick
digmick 02/16/07 - 12:21 pm
ForHim, exactly how many

ForHim, exactly how many soldiers that have served in Iraq have you talked to? And exactly how many expressed that they believe in what we are doing? Two, Eight, Twenty?

jdcooper
jdcooper 02/16/07 - 12:24 pm
Congratulations to the Dixie

Congratulations to the Dixie Chicks!!!!! I have ALWAYS enjoyed their music- some of it was eyebrow raising, but they are still very talented. They have the right to critisize whomever the chose- it's still a free country!

All About Me
All About Me 02/16/07 - 12:28 pm
Here is a great IDEA since

Here is a great IDEA since James Brown is from Beech Island why not let Aiken County Taxpayers pay for his museum and worship the ground he walks on. I have lived in Georgia for 23 years and it's funny how Augusta really believes that James Brown brought that much attention to Augusta. It is really amazing how people in South Carolina don't want to claim him. He is not a God people are worshipping James Brown more than GOD. Our Heavenly Father. What's wrong with this picture

intheknow
intheknow 02/16/07 - 12:37 pm
i guess its true what they

i guess its true what they say about blondes.

reddog
reddog 02/16/07 - 01:10 pm
As a recently retired soldier

As a recently retired soldier I know that the soldiers interviewed on TV are basically told what they will say. Those that show any signs of disagreeing with current military/political policies are given some duty that takes them away from the cameras. Also as a soldier I knew that disagreeing would result in some type of backlash--by my superiors. So every time I see soldiers being interviewed by any news channel I take it with a grain of salt. They can't complain!!

jack
jack 02/16/07 - 01:38 pm
The Dixie Chicks certainly

The Dixie Chicks certainly have the right to free speech. However, being in the entertainment business, what they say can be detrimental to their careers as it is also a right not to listen to or buy their "music". Hollywood has paid them with Grammys for nothing more than bashing our President.

ForHim
ForHim 02/16/07 - 01:44 pm
digmick ... I have probably

digmick ... I have probably talked to between 30 - 40. I always make it a point to speak to them and ask them how they feel about Iraq. It is important to me how THEY feel and if they feel like they should be there or not. Conversations could take place in a restaurant, Walmart, church, etc. I don't always agree with what our President does. That goes for past and current presidents. I have a lot of respect for their position and for the hard decisions that they have to make. I lean toward supporting Bush and the troops in Iraq based on the conversations I have had with soldiers as well as information from news media. I especially like to hear what the Iraqi's have to say. It is interesting to talk to people who have been there. I think if the soldiers weren't confident of their position, my views would differ greatly.

All About Me
All About Me 02/16/07 - 02:11 pm
in the know. I'm sure I will

in the know. I'm sure I will be the smartest blonde you'll ever have the pleasure of knowing.

Chad
Chad 02/16/07 - 02:11 pm
Working with soldiers on a

Working with soldiers on a daily basis I have talked to hundreds that have been to the big sand box, I would say 90% of them feel good about what they have done, and there are many more that have not been yet that want to go, to do the job that they are trained to do. Be it a Nurse, MP, Infantry, or Commo. Lets just get politics, and the media out of all this; turn these warriors loose and let them get the job done with out thier hands being tied. War is ugly and should not be shown on tv for neilson rating. We hear alot of side walk supervising going on here. Please remember that you get to go home at night, and be with your family they do not. This alone takes a special breed of person.

intheknow
intheknow 02/16/07 - 02:22 pm
Well thats not saying much if

Well thats not saying much if the best you can do is put down a dead person.