Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS to me that whoever designed the flow of traffic in and out of the Greenbrier schools does not have children enrolled there.

INSTEAD OF GETTING new cars to catch speeders, please try to do the following first: (1) Make an effort to catch speeders when a neighborhood continuously calls about speeding; (2) ticket all the people who run stop signs and red lights; (3) spend more time on the interstate using the radar.

IN RESPONSE TO the nonsmoker. If I ride in a nonsmoker's car, I do not smoke. If a nonsmoker rides with me, I ask before I light up. So get over it.

FOR EVERY STUDENT who fails, there is a parent or parents who have failed to take responsibility for their child's education. When was the last time that you volunteered to help in your child's class?

I WAS JUST WONDERING if we have forgotten what actually happened to our country on 9-11. Innocent people died for absolutely no reason. Why is it that President Bush is trying to punish the people who did this to our country and no one is behind him?

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 02/03/07 - 07:53 am
re: volunteers? Where do you

re: volunteers? Where do you work? My job(s) started before my children went to school and my second ended after they came home...Hopefully my rant on parents responsibility vs. chidrens choices will appear soon. Think about your criticisms before you put them into print dear.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 02/03/07 - 08:17 am
kk - that is positive about

kk - that is positive about your commitment, but why you stated that negative about volunteering? Everyones not in the work force (retirees, stay at home moms, etc) and there are comitted and concerned working people that take their prescious time and volunteer..it definitely shows concern for OTHERS, I hope your column in the RANTS if it appears isn't as narrow minded as this rant. Seemingly, you didn't put to much to thought about your critcism!!!

liloleme
liloleme 02/03/07 - 08:30 am
It's pretty obvious that

It's pretty obvious that whoever designed the flow in and out of North Augusta High School was on drugs!! What a mess!!

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/03/07 - 08:40 am
i think kk said it quite

i think kk said it quite well. most mothers that i know have to work. most of them work during the school day in order to be home with their children in the evening.
parents do have a responsibility to make sure their children are making the effort to learn and not just going to school to hang out. but most parents are just not available to volunteer during the day and if you have moe than one child it is hard to keep up with the functions going on with each child and work full time and take care of your home resposiblities. i think a lot of the problems are because our educators cannot punish the child when they are causing problems. when i was a child if i were to get a spanking at school you can bet that i would get one at home just as soon as my daddy found out about it. (i never got one but by brother sure did). i think we are both better people because of this. a lot of the children nowdays are just not taught right from wrong by their parents and then
when they go to school they hinder the others from learning.

debby
debby 02/03/07 - 08:54 am
I am a high school teacher.

I am a high school teacher. Personally, I don't mind that parents can't volunteer during the school day. I am also a single parent with five children of my own....I know it's often impossible to be somewhere during the school day except at work. As a teacher, I rarely have time to use the restroom during the school day, but that is a whole different rant. What I do mind though, is that parents often don't follow through with their parenting responsibilities at home. Parents, please teach your children how to respect adults and how to behave, act, and speak in school. Many problems would be solved with the proper home training of today's young people.

ForHim
ForHim 02/03/07 - 10:19 am
When my kids were in school,

When my kids were in school, I would take my lunch break and volunteer at their school. I also used personal days and vacation days. I think my kids were important enough to let them know that they came first.

peonynut
peonynut 02/03/07 - 10:25 am
You are correct. It seems

You are correct. It seems everyone has forgotten just who caused 9-11. It was not Iraq, it was Bin Laden and where is he and are we still looking for him? It seems as if it was used as an excuse to invade Iraq and the search for the real culprit has gone by the wayside. No one seems to notice or care.

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 02/03/07 - 10:56 am
I'm sorry you want everyone

I'm sorry you want everyone to get over it KUTBUDDY, but that's not going to happen. Did you lose anyone on 9-11, or have someone you love get deployed to go help save the rest of us? I'm guessing not or you wouldn't be like that! That is very wrong of you to say just get over it. You are very rude!

NEone
NEone 02/03/07 - 11:38 am
A friend's son was recently

A friend's son was recently goofing off way too much in school. Mom nipped that in the bud--she went to school with him for an ENTIRE DAY, sitting in the classroom and observing his behavior. There's little chance he will be out of control again. More moms should be like her. You work? Wouldn't it be worth a day's pay to get your kid back in line? Put your kid first for a change!

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 02/03/07 - 11:45 am
That sounds like something my

That sounds like something my mom would have done. That would have embarrassed me enough to do my work! Good for her!

kc fan
kc fan 02/03/07 - 12:06 pm
I agree with all the comments

I agree with all the comments about volunteering and teaching. I teach elementary school and don't need volunteers in the class. I just need parent's to do their part. Check their child's homework and when I call support me, especially if I call about behavior or a student not doing their work. It is frustrating to make repeated calls with no change in student attitude.

jdcooper
jdcooper 02/03/07 - 12:30 pm
Because President Bush is NOT

Because President Bush is NOT punishing the ones that were behind 9-11. He took advantage of a situation and turned it into his own personal mission which had NOTHING to do with 9-11 but sold it to the ignorant people of this country. We pulled Saddam out of a rat hole but the main person behind 9-11 is walking around the Pakistan/Iraqi border toting a kidney dialysis machine. He's never been interested in catching the real culprit. If we did catch him, he'd have less leverage in his terror-scares to get us ordinary people to give up our rights on a silver platter!!

ForHim
ForHim 02/03/07 - 12:56 pm
jd, just because you have the

jd, just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. If someone had taken one of your family members at gunpoint and you also had a gun and the hostage taker said that if you would give up your gun, they would let your family member go, would you say "No" because having that gun was your right? Or would you give up the gun because it was the right thing to do to save your family member? Freedom isn't free and if we have to give up some of our rights to protect ourselves and our families then so be it.

AGR354
AGR354 02/03/07 - 01:22 pm
The day we get over and

The day we get over and forget 9-11 is the day when all terrorism is eliminate from the world; as long as it exists we need to remember 9-11 as we still remember Pearl Harbor. We need, as we are now doing, to prevent terror actions before they begin. Cut out the heart of terror and the body of terror will die. Come home when The Job is done

AGR354
AGR354 02/03/07 - 01:26 pm
Could someone older and wiser

Could someone older and wiser than me tell me why Jane Fonda was not charged with treason when she returned from Vietnam? Aiding and supporting the enemy, she is no different from from Tokyo Rose

AGR354
AGR354 02/03/07 - 01:34 pm
Mr, Cooper there is no

Mr, Cooper there is no Pakistan/Iraqi border. Iran is in the way.

What rights have ordinary people given up?

luckie
luckie 02/03/07 - 01:41 pm
To speakup, it is great to

To speakup, it is great to spend a day in the classroom with your child. However, I want you to know, children will behave when mom is around. Many go back to the same inappropriate behavior the very next day.

AGR354
AGR354 02/03/07 - 01:43 pm
You should find this

You should find this interesting Tokyo Rose was the name given to Iva Toguri, an American Japanese born in Los Angeles. Unable to get back to the US when World War II started, she lived and worked in Tokyo, where she eventually started broadcasting propaganda programs to the Allied troops fighting the Japanese in the Pacific Theater. She was convicted of treason against the US and served over 6 years in a US federal prison. During the war the Japanese tried to demoralize the American forces. Psychological warfare experts developed a message they felt would work. They gave the script to "Tokyo Rose" and every day she would broadcast this same message packaged in different ways, hoping it would have a negative impact on American GI's morale. What was that demoralizing message? It had three main points:
1. Your President is lying to you. 2. This war is illegal.3. You cannot win the war. Does this sound familiar? Is it because Tokyo Hillary, Tokyo Harry, Tokyo John, Tokyo Teddy, Tokyo Nancy ,
have picked up the same message and are broadcasting it on Tokyo CNN, Tokyo ABC, Tokyo CBS, Tokyo NBC, Tokyo MSNBC...... to our troops? The only difference is that they claim to support our troops before they demoralize them. Come to think of it, Tokyo Rose told the troops she was on their side, too!

ForHim
ForHim 02/03/07 - 01:58 pm
amen agr354!

amen agr354!

intheknow
intheknow 02/03/07 - 02:01 pm
You talk of rights, yet you

You talk of rights, yet you think that Jane fonda should be charged with treason. I guess the right of free speech only counts if you are on U.S. soil. And before any of you out there try the old leave the country routine> I served in the first gulf war as did my sister, three of my brothers served in Vietnam where one wsa held as a P.O.W. amd my Father served in World War II. Unlike some I may not like what you say or when you say it, but I would fight again for your right to say it no matter how stupid I may think it is.

intheknow
intheknow 02/03/07 - 02:03 pm
ARG354 someone sold you a bag

ARG354 someone sold you a bag of goods.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 02/03/07 - 02:10 pm
Sadly to say, it appears its

Sadly to say, it appears its the generations following the babybombers is when discipline got out of hand in the schools. Could it be because our parents had a strong hand on us and that is why we let our hands slip with our own children. No one can single handly put blame where it should be. When I was coming up in the 60's you rarely heard of parents with multiple jobs and you pretty much need to do that now adays just to survive. Most people aren't as fortunate as others. You have parents nowadays giving children pretty much everything their hearts desire not even making them earn any of it. Some parents now adays don't give child responsibilities even at home so when they get to school, they feel they don't have to give respect. I certainly agree that discipline and respect must be taught at home.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/03/07 - 02:31 pm
@gottabe, 11:56 When we give

@gottabe, 11:56 When we give up our rights, one by one, for safety, or the illusion thereof, we no longer have freedom. That would be like getting a reverse mortgage on freedom.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/03/07 - 03:58 pm
@AGR, 12:43 This war is

@AGR, 12:43 This war is nothing like the war against Japan in WWII. It is more like Vietnam, except now we are not at war with another country at all, or even a real organized army. Perhaps we can claim victory once the suicide bombers have blown up the entire Iraqi population. Then we can declare it the country of Halliburton. Of course, these aren't even all Iraqi suicide bombers. There are enough nutcase radical Islamic fundamentalists around the world to keep pouring into “Iraq”. Then maybe they will blow up the country of Halliburton, which we may still be defending. There is no real victory possible in this war. The best way to demoralize the military is to waste it, for then each soldier truly feels irrelevant.

owensjef
owensjef 02/03/07 - 04:08 pm
SAD but True Curmudgeon

SAD but True Curmudgeon

owensjef
owensjef 02/03/07 - 04:23 pm
It is amazing that people are

It is amazing that people are not mad at the horible events on the ground in Iraq, but they are mad because network news tells you a truck bomb has killed 123 people. Well folks that just wiped out anything good that happend that day.Everything being build has been destoyed over and over again. The people who benefit are the defense contractors. Occupation is not what are army does best, we are not the Soviet Union we care about our guys.

gagirl40
gagirl40 02/03/07 - 04:24 pm
AGR354, I notice you didn't

AGR354, I notice you didn't say Tokyo FoxNews. Are you finally admitting that Fox isn't Fair and Balanced but has a strong Right Wing bias? Those of us with a brain in our head already knew this. The Barak Obama story proves my point!

And jdcooper is right, Bush isn't going after the ones who perpetrated 9-11. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9-11, when will you people get that? He invaded Iraq because they were a weak nation he knew he could overthrow. They had no air-force or really any military to speak of. It was a cakewalk. Iran and North Korea are far more of a threat to us than Iraq ever was, but he knows they are too strong, so what does he do? He picks on the weakling nation.

Yes, Saddam was a horrible man, but this war has killed more Iraqi civilians than Saddam ever could think about killing. And it has totally destroyed Iraq's infrastructure which is going to cost us billions to repair. And when we do finally leave there is going to be mass confusion and chaos in the Middle East as Iran and Syria fight over who will control the country and the oil. The only thing Bush has done is make the Middle East far, far worse than it ever was. And history will show this to be true.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/03/07 - 04:51 pm
Perhaps if there were a way,

Perhaps if there were a way, we could get enough Prozac in all the drinking water in Iraq. Can Paxil be aerosolized? Then the Sunnis and Shiites could get along and cooperate long enough for us to leave.

AGR354
AGR354 02/03/07 - 05:03 pm
Now that I am back on the

Now that I am back on the computer, intheknow who sold you guys your load of goods?
Free Speech? She went to North Vietnam, our Nation was fighting against Communism Spreading in Asia and Little Jane decides she should go over to talk to country that is killing daily our solders and tell them she was their friend. What did your Brother think of Jane while he was POW?
Don’t use Free Speech as a shield for treason. Thank you for your service in the Military with out Men and Women like you I would be enjoying this conversation

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/03/07 - 05:15 pm
What were the criteria for

What were the criteria for charging a civilian in our country with treason? I know Jane has apologized and probably is now appalled by her actions way back then. Is there a statute of limitations on treason? If not, would you like to see her charged?