News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

IF THE DRUG ADDICT down the street forced you to take drugs every time he did, is that his freedom? All smokers force nonsmokers to take part in their addiction. You are putting a gun to our heads.

WOODY MERRY IS only looking out for the people in Augusta. We haven't had a watchdog in a long time. I think he's ruffled a few feathers of some local politicians who are used to driving roughshod over the citizens.

I WOULD LIKE TO send a rave to the two female officers at Doctors Hospital who were so pleasant and nice while we were there. My granddaughter was in the burn unit and every day the officers would stop by see if we needed anything and asked how she was doing. They even got her to smile when Grandpa couldn't.

KUDOS TO THE coliseum authority for not joining with Champ Walker's event named about the Godfather. No way can the city trust Walker at all! Our city needs to take time to properly plan for a fitting event in honor of Mr. Brown, perhaps a small museum in Brown's honor at the old Lenox Theatre site.

IN RESPONSE TO THE RANT about student and teacher failure, most teachers would acknowledge their own failure when students fail. All teachers, however, have completed college, have obtained a steady job, have likely completed an advanced degree and have definitely spent hours in courses and workshops in an effort to motivate even the lazy, arrogant, ignorant kids blessed with adoring but uninvolved parents. Just who needs to shape up here?

ACCORDING to the U.S. Census bureau, Augusta has been steadily declining in population and at present it is at 195,769. Augusta needs to realize its situation and make some changes to how it operates. This is not good for business.

THIS IS IN RESPONSE to the rant about the skate shoes. I, too, am very tired of seeing them. I was in a crowded grocery store and this child zoomed past me, nearly knocking me and my child over.

FROM THE PARENT WHO wrote every student who fails, there is a teacher who fails: I have spent time in the classrooms. I have to keep on my child's teacher about different things and all I hear are excuses from the teacher and the principal. ... The entire school system is failing.

If you have an opinion you want to share, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

CSRAresident
CSRAresident 01/28/07 - 09:00 am
How did you "nearly" get

How did you "nearly" get knocked over by a kid on skate shoes? Were you actually hit, then the kid circled back and hit yor child, and both of you almost fell down? I bet the issue with you is your child wants a pair of them and you are too cheap to buy them. You probably saw a kid across the store wearing them. Maybe closer to the truth is you saw another rant about them and have never even seen them before.

whynot2
whynot2 01/28/07 - 09:01 am
All smokers dont make you

All smokers dont make you share the habit.I smoke in my car and my house. When I have family that doesnt smoke I am respectful and go outside. Dont blame everyone for rudeness cause your too snobby.

Chad
Chad 01/28/07 - 09:07 am
To the ranter that stated "IF

To the ranter that stated "IF HILLARY IS ELECTED president, I'm moving to a little-known island in the Pacific." Don't make promises that you are not going to keep. Look at all the actors that said the same thing and guess what they are still here.

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 01/28/07 - 09:17 am
I just want to say that last

I just want to say that last night my husband and I went to LoneStar for dinner. We waited almost an hour for a table and the service was horrible. The girl couldn't remember what kind of drinks we wanted, and she forgot to bring rolls, and our salads until the last minute. The people next to us, who sat down and ordered at the same time as us, were done eating before we even got our food. Then to top it all off, there was a hair in the butter. GROSS! The only good thing was the manager gave us a free meal! Thank You!

garydman
garydman 01/28/07 - 09:32 am
Your SUV puts more pollution

Your SUV puts more pollution into the atmosphere in 10 minutes than a smoker does in a lifetime.

NEone
NEone 01/28/07 - 10:40 am
97Jeep: When you smoke in

97Jeep: When you smoke in your car at a traffic light, I have to close my car windows because of the fumes coming in. So yes, you still make me share your habit.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 01/28/07 - 10:53 am
I smoke and have tried to

I smoke and have tried to quit several times. It's tougher than one would think but I'll keep trying. What bothers me is that I'm making an effort to improve my health and the health of those around me but the health insurance company doesn't pay a thing towards it. Dear God if I was hooked on an illegal substance or even alcohol, the health insurance company would sure pay for rehab! Nicotine is a drug and I'm definitely addicted.

garydman
garydman 01/28/07 - 10:57 am
Speakup, when you pull up in

Speakup, when you pull up in your car at a traffic light and I am on my bicycle you are also making me share YOUR habit.

hownowbrowncow
hownowbrowncow 01/28/07 - 11:26 am
I was almost plowed over by a

I was almost plowed over by a brat on skate shoes. I don't blame the brat though, it's the keeper of the brat that is at fault. Parents, please don't bring your revolting offspring out in public. Especially those on wheels.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 01/28/07 - 11:38 am
Failure in education, these

Failure in education, these are proven facts:
Some children don't want to learn, they are forced to go to school b/cause they have to. Then of course, they are distractions. All teachers have different approaches to how they teach, most non-acheiving and some acheiving students can't adapt to different teaching styles, esp. in algebras, geometries, chemistries, etc. There is little parental guidance in education, most of the time not b/cause the parent doesn't care, (working schedules, family interaction problems prevent it). Is the State dept of Ed. really stepping up to the plate? Or do we accept things as the "norm", we have no other choice until the correct changes come about.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 01/28/07 - 12:03 pm
One thing I can agree on with

One thing I can agree on with our government is that NO ONE knows how to run it EFFECTIVELY.. No one knows how to disperse funds in the government to make Augusta a thriving city like others. Why do you think Augusta has the lowest paying wages compared to other cities? Why do you think there is no "big draw" of entertainment to this city to bring money back into it? It's a shame that it only has a golf tournament that only bring in a influx of people once a year. Every day there is some business that is closed down. In a couple of years that won't be anything on Peach Orchard Rd. other than eateries, (the ones that have not closed already). Stop electing your friends and VOTE for the most EXPERIENCED person that can make a positive change. DEKE we're counting on you!

YankeeTransplant
YankeeTransplant 01/28/07 - 12:17 pm
Everybody is looking for an

Everybody is looking for an excuse to blame someone else for their problems. Growing up, I was taught to respect my elders and if the teacher sent home a note, I was in big trouble. My parents didn't put up with disrespect, talking back, etc. I was one of seven children in my family and we all turned out to be law abiding citizens and able to support ourselves. If a parent doesn't have time (because of work, etc) then they need to make time or not have children. You can't expect society to raise your children for you.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 01/28/07 - 12:29 pm
Yankee TRANSPLANT, I said

Yankee TRANSPLANT, I said most, not all. Everybody is not fortunate enough to have been in the PERFECT surroundings you came from. You are in the SOUTH now. Most notes that are sent home, don't even reach there and I am pretty sure some up North didn't either. Maybe you can go to some of these schools and do some volunteer tutoring. Everybody doesn't achieve, regardless.

YankeeTransplant
YankeeTransplant 01/28/07 - 12:59 pm
to tell the truth: I did not

to tell the truth: I did not come from "perfect" surroundings at all. The point I was trying to make is that parents have to assume responsibility for their children and not try to blame society or the school system, etc. You have to discipline your own children and set rules and guidelines for them to follow. If they don't follow them, then discipline them. I followed the rules or suffered the consequence. Children also learn by example and parents need to remember this.

aintryt
aintryt 01/28/07 - 01:05 pm
To the super snot nonsmokers

To the super snot nonsmokers - I get more pollution riding down hwy 56 everyday and inhaling the fumes from your butt being on your shoulders than I do from my little ole cigarette. As soon as you are born a time and manner is chosen for you to die and if my cigarette is killing you then it's just all part of the plan.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 01/28/07 - 02:08 pm
Yankee Transplant - all of

Yankee Transplant - all of the above you said is true. You can discipline children, set all these rules and if they don't follow, that's not the real acadmic problem, (it is an attribute to it).
I was just being REAL as to some of the factors that do. You are right, parents should have the responsibility but some DON'T,
that was my point...Everybody has to take responsibility...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/28/07 - 02:37 pm
All I can say, is that it is

All I can say, is that it is a good thing my chocolate does not hurt the people around me. Smokers need to go overboard to be considerate, because it will eventually be illegal. How soon that happens might depend on how considerate they are.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 01/28/07 - 02:42 pm
"Almost" plowed over. Once

"Almost" plowed over. Once again, what does this mean. Sounds like a kid when really fast near you, and you, being the miserable old fart that you are were offended by a kid having fun. Just how far away would he have to be for you to accept his fun. Did the kid run into you or not?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/28/07 - 02:43 pm
Parents who have a positive

Parents who have a positive attitude about education probably have already passed that on to their kid before the kid even starts school. I have a relative who married into the family. Her parents had let her quit school back when the schools first integrated in the sixties. Some priorities!

aintryt
aintryt 01/28/07 - 02:48 pm
Obesity is a top contender

Obesity is a top contender for as a death related "illness" So that chocolate can indeed hurt those around you if is like anything, consumed in excess. I consider myself to be a considerate smoker, I use ashtrays, try not to smoke around known non-smokers etc...... but when is it enough? When I'm hiding in the closet? Under the bed? That chocolate may contain nut products everyone seems to be allergic to these days and cause a reaction just from the residue. I think our society has gotten too clean for it's own good. With everything being banned we just seem to be getting sicker and sicker. Go back to the days of eating mudpies to build your immunities is what I say......

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/28/07 - 02:50 pm
I think we are all just

I think we are all just jealous that they did not have those shoes when we were kids! They look like fun. I can see the stores having to ban using the skate function in the store, because parents probably won't make sure the kids don't overdo it.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/28/07 - 03:11 pm
As long as they are chocolate

As long as they are chocolate mud pies...they are finding out now that a small amount of dark chocolate daily is good for you. My dad smoked a lot when I was growing up, and we are both paying the price for it now. I think the most important thing a smoker can do is to not smoke around children. Considerate smokers are waging a losing battle, because, I am sorry to say, jerks seem to outnumber non-jerks when it comes to smoking. I had a boss who would grind his ashes into the new carpet with his shoes.

cricketflea
cricketflea 01/28/07 - 03:20 pm
I smoke. I am considerate

I smoke. I am considerate with my smoking. I don't thow my butts on the ground. I have a son that I have raised completely alone who is genuine; meaning that he is polite and nice as long as he is treated the same way. He is respectful. I have taught him these things. He goes to school five days a week. He spends EVERY Friday night at his Grandma's house and does errands for her on Saturday. I have people tell me ALL the time I have a good son. I have a good son for ONE reason. I CARED ENOUGH TO DISCIPLINE AND SHOW HIM THE RIGHT PATH. I did not thump a bible 24/7 to have a good son. I did not carry a belt and use it 24/7. I LISTENED. I COMMUNICATED. I TALKED. I CARED. I still do. I always will. My 16 year old son is not the smartest child on the planet. I am sure he is not the best child on the planet. But I know this: He does not do drugs. He does not walk or ride the streets. He does not drink. He is in school. He is planning his future. It breaks his heart to see one of his friends in trouble (pregnant, taking drugs, drunk, in jail, etc). He talks to his friends and tries to keep them on the straight and narrow. I only wish more parents would CARE EARLY.

Rose
Rose 01/28/07 - 03:27 pm
I saw a sign in a shopping

I saw a sign in a shopping mall in Canada that said NO SMOKING $5,000 FINE. I saw a man walking through the mall with an unlit cigarette in his hand.All heads turned looking at him to see if he would light it but he didn't.When they say no smoking, they mean no smoking.

Inkjet
Inkjet 01/28/07 - 03:32 pm
Hillary will for sure win in

Hillary will for sure win in 2008, so make your moving plans now! If you know anything about history, it is the popular, or "pop culture" figures who win this country's elections, and if you didn't know before now, you've been warned.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/28/07 - 03:51 pm
Cricketflea, you have the

Cricketflea, you have the right attitude. I enjoyed my kids so much when they were growing up. I enjoyed being with them and their friends when they were in their teens. Both kids still love to talk to me endlessly, and you will have that pleasure when your son is forty years old. The only difference is that your son probably won't smoke and both my kids do. They knew better when they started, but peer pressure kicked in. It was not enough that I did not smoke and I talked to them when they were young. It is my major failing with my kids.

cricketflea
cricketflea 01/28/07 - 04:08 pm
If that's the only vice your

If that's the only vice your kids have, count your blessings, Curmudgeon. Mine is 16, and I hope he doesn't start smoking, but is he does, I can't say anything, as I do smoke. But I do know he won't do drugs or drink. I am a recovering alcoholic, so he won't drink. He has seen me there. My son is adopted; he was born adicted, he is so afraid of getting caught up in the whirlpool of it all, he even refuses a Tylenol, so now you see where much of of his "don't do that" attitude comes from. And, yes, you are right. He will talk to me forever. He is right now one of my best friends. We talk about EVERYTHING from A to Z. I never thought when I was holding that tiny baby 16 years ago that we would be so close today that we would talk about any and everything. I would not trade our relationship for the world!!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/28/07 - 04:14 pm
Alee, I think that is one of

Alee, I think that is one of our problems here. We have laws but we don't give the laws big teeth. I have heard stories of how serious a DUI is in other countries.

tired of idiots
tired of idiots 01/28/07 - 04:29 pm
Stop blaming the teachers!

Stop blaming the teachers! everyone is accountable, however parents you need to step up to the plate and raise your kids. stop sending you children to school to be raised by the teacher. I challenge anyone to be a teacher for 1 day. I bet you will have a better respect for teachers and what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Grimzine
Grimzine 01/28/07 - 05:10 pm
I had a first hand expierence

I had a first hand expierence at the Augusta Mall with a child on skate shoes. The child wasn't too good with them and was coming for me, after a quick side step I did infact avoid a run in. Skate shoes are neat but there is a place for them and inside a business is not one of them. Outside in the parking lot may cause problems because more times than not drivers are looking for parking places and not for a child flying by. So while I do think they are a nice gift I do have my concerns, not so much for them annoying someone but mostly for the child's safety.

Frazier retires after demotion

Long-time Richmond County principal Wayne Frazier, known for his unorthodox approach to school reform, submitted his resignation Wednesday after being demoted to a teacher this summer.