Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

IF GEORGE BUSH ISN'T the worse president since George Washington, I wish somebody would please tell me who was.

THIS IS A RANT for our Richmond County code enforcement department. You can't get a hold of them. I live in the Boykin Road area of south Augusta and we've got dilapidated houses where crackheads are hanging out. Abandoned houses that need to be tore down, and we've got perpetual flea markets that look like junk yards and different things in residential neighborhoods that don't go with the neighborhood. ... But you can't get a hold of anybody in county government because nobody knows what anybody else is supposed to be doing. It doesn't seem like anybody in Richmond County knows their job any more. I tell you this county needs an improvement big time. And you need to cut out all these guys, the big wheels, and get some people in there that actually know how to work, how to do their job.

A RANT FOR THE degenerate accused of raping a 75-year-old woman here in Augusta. I only wish there were laws in Georgia written specifically for this animal. If found guilty he should be castrated immediately and sent to prison for the rest of his sick, useless life.

THIS IS TO THE PERSON that was worried about the trains messing up her lunches and she thought they were done on purpose. The trains are not scheduled at a certain time. I know because I work for the railroad. We are lucky to have the train coming through here. We just get our load and come through regardless of what time of day or night it is.

THIS IS A RANT FOR George Bush. I think he has done wrong for sending the troops over to Iraq. It doesn't make any sense sending the troops over there to get killed. The U.S. needs to mind their own business. Iraqi people have always been war people and there has never been a quick fight; blood is always being shed. My dad was in the Vietnam War and I'm glad he made it back home. But I'm against sending soldiers over there.

I WANT TO SEND out a major rave to all of our musicians that play for churches in our area. I just wanted to say thank you so much. We appreciate you and love you. As members of the churches, we appreciate our musicians. I'm of the Baptist faith and I don't feel like there are primary or secondary musicians in churches. Just wanted to say that I feel all of our musicians are equal and I would hope that other churches would feel this way as well.

I HAVE A RAVE for the University Hospital nursing staff. I would like to thank them for giving me the best care after having surgery on Jan. 19th. They were superb and every need was met. I want to thank all the ladies that helped me in any way. University Hospital, you are No. 1 and always will be.

I AM SO SICK OF COLOR being brought into every crime. Yes, the rape victim was white and the criminal was black. But it was a horrible issue and color should have been the last thing that came up.

THIS RANT IS for Mandy Rhodes, the young lady accused of taking money from the courthouse. Sweetheart, you don't have to worry. I haven't seen a person that was accused of the same thing get any jail time. Just pay the money back. Cry in front of the judge that you was just having a hard time, you don't know why you did it. You won't get any jail time. They'll give you probation. Don't worry about it.

WHAT GOES ON with James Brown's family is not any of our business. But, however, it is going to be our business as long as we're made to pay for his funeral.

EDITOR, RANTS & RAVES: Since you have a variety of people of all walks of life with a variety of thoughts, please, do not take up so much space on one topic.

THIS IS A RANT to Augusta. First, the Augusta Exchange, we needed another grocery store, not an appliance store. All of the grocers in this area have gone. We need one desperately. Second, the garbage service is terrible and much too high. What is a senior supposed to do? Believe me, if I wasn't disabled and elderly I would move out of the city of Augusta.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 01/27/07 - 05:20 am
In reference to rant

In reference to rant #1-----try jimmy carter

Chad
Chad 01/27/07 - 05:58 am
To the ranter that said that

To the ranter that said that America needs to mind her own business. How long do you think it would take for another Muslim terrorist to attackthe U.S. again and this time it might be in a town or place that your loved ones are in. Will you just turn the other cheek pray for thier salvation? or will you pick up arms with your brothers and sister and defend this country? Also remember it took congress with an overwhelming majority vote to give The Commander and Chief the power to send the troops into War. So if you want to blame some one start with your elected official and work you way up the chain. Or better yet why don't you leave this great country of ours and move to a country that embraces the Muslim terrorist and see if you like your freedom there.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 01/27/07 - 07:16 am
Quote..."THIS IS A RANT FOR

Quote..."THIS IS A RANT FOR George Bush. I think he has done wrong for sending the troops over to Iraq." END QUOTE
If your family was killed in the 9-11 attack of the twin towers you would feel different about the situation. Or would you rather fight them in your front yard??? Freedom comes at a price, unfortunately that price is sometimes human lives. A sad fact but never the less A FACT !

intheknow
intheknow 01/27/07 - 08:28 am
Here we go again. Another so

Here we go again. Another so called true blue american that thinks they own this country, and have the right to tell anyone that does not march in step with them to " Leave the country." As far as President Carter is concerned, I guess the fact that he did not go around the world droping bomb makes him a poor president.

Reality
Reality 01/27/07 - 09:26 am
A Somali arrives in

A Somali arrives in Minneapolis as a new immigrant to the United States. He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says, "Thank you Mr. American for letting me in this country, giving me housing, food stamps,
free medical care, and free education!"
The passerby says, "You are mistaken, I am Mexican."
The man goes on and encounters another passerby. "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in America!"
The person says, "I not American, I Vietnamese."
The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes his hand and says, "Thank you for the wonderful America!"
That person puts up his hand and says, "I am from Middle East, I am not American!"
He finally sees a nice lady and asks, "Are you an American?"
She says, "No, I am from Russia!"
Puzzled, he asks her, "Where are all the Americans?"
The Russian lady checks her watch and says ..."Probably at work."

reallybugged
reallybugged 01/27/07 - 09:41 am
First the really sad thing is

First the really sad thing is that most people who post about the fighting in Iraq have never lifted a finger to defend their own country. But you need not worry. There will always be those ready to take up arms and guard the freedoms you love so much. Second, those who say we attacked Iraq because of 9-11; well there were others much more responsible than Iraq. There were no weapons of mass destruction found. It was all about the oil. But hey it’s a valuable commodity to America so I can even go along with that. But now that Bush has put troops there, now what. He leaves them there without proper supplies, without proper reinforcements, but worst of all, rules of engagement leave their hands tied making them sitting ducks. Our troops aren’t fighting a war. They are fighting to survive. Bush either do it right and fight the darn war to win or get the heck out. Don’t give the US another Vietnam.

pofwe
pofwe 01/27/07 - 09:45 am
Mandy, Ask Stewart Garrett

Mandy,

Ask Stewart Garrett how much time you get for stealing fines from the Court system. He got 10 yrs. his wife, who actually did the stealing got more, like 15yrs. Yes they do give time for that offense. Hope you salted some $$$ back. The Garretts did.

fergie01
fergie01 01/27/07 - 10:00 am
dear editor, i see a variety

dear editor, i see a variety of rants and raves and comments. as you always have let us have our space. we appreciate the space you allow us.yes sometimes they are all aimed at the same topic(especially the juicy stuff). thank you for the chance to speak our minds.

liloleme
liloleme 01/27/07 - 10:12 am
...Agrees with fergie...I

...Agrees with fergie...I enjoy having this new forum to place my own thoughts and for reading others....Have a great day all!!

kc fan
kc fan 01/27/07 - 10:17 am
reallybugged, Just loved your

reallybugged,

Just loved your take on immigration.

garydman
garydman 01/27/07 - 10:45 am
Politincorect....You sound

Politincorect....You sound like one of those CIA Trained newscasters on Fox News. The price of our freedom was paid in blood by many thousands way before any of us were born. Our government has used the media, drugs and now terrorism to scare you into thinking that we have to give up freedom in order to preserve freedom. Know now that these are the voices of oppressors and tyrants. These are the enemies of freedom not it's guardians. We hear ourselves proclaiming to be "America's greatest generation" all the while we seem so eager to purchase temporary safety by giving up essential liberties afforded us under the constitution. Liberties that many thousands have given their lives for before us. The price of freedom IS our willingness to die for what we believe in and to preserve our constitution regardless of the enemies we face. I submit that if we were "The Greatest Generation" we would all lay down our lives to preserve our freedoms instead of giving them up so readily over the irrational fear of "terrorism" that our media and government has tried to instill in us these past 6 years. If you want to be safe, build a bunker, if you want to be free, stand up and fight!!

Rose
Rose 01/27/07 - 11:09 am
We are losing our freedom one

We are losing our freedom one at the time. We can't talk on the phone in private. The government is probably listening. The government is watching us on the internet. Almost everyday, my firewall shows people trying to get into my computer, and most of them show Washington. I hope they find what they are looking for.I support our troops but not the war. We need help here in our own country. We need the military to fight the war here against crime. We need to take care of our own needs.

NYnative
NYnative 01/27/07 - 11:32 am
intheknow again thinks that

intheknow again thinks that people own the country.... I thought we went over this yesterday. Making a suggestion does not mean people think they own the country. Also check yesterday's news and you will see where Carter's own advisors were against him in the comments he made in his book. By the way wasn't it him that did not secure the release of american hostages on his watch? @guess... I like that story, I may have to use that at work. I guess reallybugged was in those meetings before the war and has inside information about the motives. By the way, while I was there we found bombs filled with weaponized chemicals. Luckily they were so old they didn't go off when they tried to use them as IEDs. Also, Pres Bush is not the one responsible for getting us the funding for supplies, that lies in the hands of your local elected officals who are more worried about ear marks for special interests, voting themselves a 15% pay raise while 90% of the military only got 2.4% that is mandated by law. But I do agree the the ROE is way too restrictive. War is ugly, get the embedded media out, and let us do our jobs!!!

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 01/27/07 - 12:47 pm
I know the ranter is telling

I know the ranter is telling the gods honest truth about unable to get in contact with county depts, it's not just code enforcement; it's practically all of them. I guess they are busy stealing the tax payers money, on non-work related websites and other things rather than doing what they are actually paid to do. Then when you do get in touch with them, they are the rudest, nonprofessional people you would ever come in contact with.

garydman
garydman 01/27/07 - 12:49 pm
LOL...NYnative....Iraq had

LOL...NYnative....Iraq had trouble keeping tanks running, how in the heck do you expect us to believe that they had WMD's? Everybody knows that Bush did it to say here daddy I got the guy that threatened your life. Really, none of you Bush/we know what's best for everyone Zealots, have any idea of the insidious, diabolical acts our government has been a part of. How many secrets are there that we will NEVER learn the truth about? There is no telling! That is something we can ALL be sure of. Bush's daddy was CIA when Kennedy was killed and advanced to director of that organization not to long after; (and before becoming president). Since Bush Jr. has been in office we've had 9-11, the anthrax letters, WMD's, The Iraq War, The Patriot Act, and the Election debacle. What's next on their orchestrated list of events designed to vector us into a state of fear so bad that we will give up more of our personal freedoms? I mean for real...even you devout Bush followers have to be starting to whiff the odor of fish by now.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 01/27/07 - 12:59 pm
For all the negative comments

For all the negative comments about former President, Jimmy Carter, Get over it!! It's this present one, Bush you should be concerned about!! At this point, Carter cannot cause any bodily harm, just look and think about what your President is doing!!
Please do me a favor and not start defending him about defending our Country, It doesn't take all of those lives!!!

jdcooper
jdcooper 01/27/07 - 01:15 pm
Tell'm garydman!! There were

Tell'm garydman!! There were no real WMD found in Iraq- maybe a few outdated things from the days of killing Kurds or from the Iran/Iraq war but nothing that posed a current threat. It has been proven over and over again that Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9-11..... quit letting the terror-mongers scare us into handing over our privacy on a platter!!!!!! Almost every reason that was told to us to get us into Iraq has turned out to be either incorrect or a bold faced LIE. We should bring most of our troops home and the ones that stay should be taken of the streets and put in the green zone for the sole purpose of training Iraqi police & Army. Give them 2 years- then bring them out as well!

jdcooper
jdcooper 01/27/07 - 01:17 pm
And by the way.... most of

And by the way.... most of our Presidents through the years have had screw ups. It's a hard job. But none compare to the lies and deceptions that the current administration has been responsible for!

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 01/27/07 - 01:25 pm
Reallybugged, at first I

Reallybugged, at first I didn't know where you were going with that; I was going to tell Garydman to give you a call but you did end up with the right point..

intheknow
intheknow 01/27/07 - 02:22 pm
NYnative yes we did discuss

NYnative yes we did discuss this and everytime I hear or read where someone is told to leave the country because their opinion is different from the know it all, I will say it loud and clear. THEY DO NOT OWN THIS COUNTRY.

garydman
garydman 01/27/07 - 02:23 pm
Right Coop! Brainwashing is

Right Coop! Brainwashing is what it's all about. The Media knows about brainwashing, they all use it every day. Ever wonder why you hear "WJBF Newschannel 6" a hundred times every thirty minutes the news is on? It's BRAINWASHING! They already know that if you hear it a hundred times, you'll remember it. Remember, they played the 9/11 plane crashes on TV for 3 days (without commercial interruption I might add), But somehow the Sadaam hanging isn't OK for us all to see? We have to get grainy cell-phone footage off of the internet. And the person who took those images is in jail for doing so. Where is this man's personal freedom? Where is his freedom to bring to press, the truth? Why hasn't the media stood up and rallied behind his rights?

owensjef
owensjef 01/27/07 - 03:19 pm
Jimmy Carter brought peace to

Jimmy Carter brought peace to the middle east

Chad
Chad 01/27/07 - 03:28 pm
Can someone please explain

Can someone please explain why members of the House of Representatives (Pelosi, Murtha,) are meeting with the President if Iraq and Pakistan discussing foreign policy and U.S. Aid, this is not what they were elected for, Correct me if I am wrong with this. Alternatively, are the lefts trying to implement their own foreign Policy? I'm I the only one seeing this as being wrong.

owensjef
owensjef 01/27/07 - 03:49 pm
Garydman great point @ 9:45

Garydman great point @ 9:45 AM post

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/27/07 - 04:39 pm
owensjef: What piece of the

owensjef: What piece of the MiddleEast did Carter bring? OH! I'm sorry! You meant PEACE!

Also: went to the grocery store this morning. Was looking at the meat. Right below what cut of meat each were, the same was written in Spanish. Now I'm not prejudice, but if someone plans to LIVE here, don't you think they should learn the language? If I expected to live in a foreign country, not just visit it, that did not speak English, I don't think they would cater to MY language! They would expect me to learn THEIRS!

owensjef
owensjef 01/27/07 - 04:55 pm
I hope that made you feal

I hope that made you feal very smart Orangeman, it so easy to correct folks over the computer, but I bet you knew what hte hell I ment Smart A!!!!!!!!!!

owensjef
owensjef 01/27/07 - 04:56 pm
You want to correct somebody

You want to correct somebody correct your boy George Bush, but you won't because you like him.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/27/07 - 05:49 pm
OrangeMan, you need to learn

OrangeMan, you need to learn English, too!

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 01/27/07 - 06:26 pm
All I have to say is if just

All I have to say is if just a portion of the trillions of dollars spent on this war was given to the taxpayers in order to try and live better in a country where inflation has outgrown the cost of living for the past several decades. Most people aren't paid enough to make ends meet let alone just trying to survive. I guarantee the crime rate would be reduced drastically. It makes you want to think that the government don't want things RIGHT, I guess that's why they call it POLITICS..

garydman
garydman 01/27/07 - 06:48 pm
"It is part of the general

"It is part of the general pattern of misguided policy that our country is now geared to an arms economy which was bred in an artificially induced psychosis of war hysteria and nurtured upon an incessant propaganda of fear." General Douglas MacArthur

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire is closing parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists are advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.