Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

HOW RIDICULOUS is it for the Augusta Commission to reject a local contractor's bid for a demolition project that is $250,000 cheaper and award it to a contractor from Atlanta? Anyone in his right mind would try to accept a bid that is a quarter-million dollars lower, not look for a reason to reject it. Here the city is with a budget crisis, wanting a drag strip, and it wastes $250,000 of the taxpayers' money. Brilliant.

TO THE INDIVIDUAL in Friday's Rants & Raves section, complaining about Woody Merry: He's looking out for the people because the Augusta Commission isn't.

I AM A SMOKER, but I try to be a responsible smoker. I don't smoke around nonsmokers, especially children, and I try not to throw my cigarette butts on the ground. In this day and age, when cigarette smokers are in the minority, common sense dictates respect for those who don't smoke, using good manners and not defacing the environment. Smoking is my vice, but I still get annoyed by people talking as though all smokers are the same.

I THINK IT'S A disgusting shame how the city allowed Augusta Public Transit to cut services. Now traveling on that bus system is hazardous to your safety, especially on the Washington Road, Augusta Mall, Turpin Hill/Southgate and east Augusta routes. People are standing all over each other, sitting on the floors, etc. The buses hold 18 to 25 people tops, but are now carrying 40 to 50 at a time. Oh, yes, only poor people ride the buses, so it doesn't matter.

DUNCAN FORDHAM WAS a good and decent man, and still is. I hope his wife wins this Medicaid appeal. If you think Mr. Fordham is guilty, that is your right, but no one should be punished for the sins of another. All of you people who don't want Ms. Fordham to win this battle, look at it this way: This little woman had the guts to stand up to the government. Do you?

TO THE PARENT who wrote, "For every student who fails, there is also a teacher who fails": You forgot one important variable - the parent also fails.

THIS IS A RANT to the people who schedule the trains. It seems the trains run when I am trying to go to work, get back to work from lunch and trying to get home after work. Do you think this is done on purpose?

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 01/23/07 - 08:03 am
I hope Mrs Fordham wins ONLY

I hope Mrs Fordham wins ONLY IF she NEVER benefited (not one thin dime) from her husband's fradulant business deals. Also, a suggestion about the buses, the city should have a bus and driver on call if the bus is beginning to fill up, and the dispatcher can radio ahead for another bus.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 01/23/07 - 08:21 am
The contractor that gets the

The contractor that gets the job should be made to reduce its price to the lowest bidder's and be given the option of either taking the job at the lowest bid or giving the job back to the lowest bidder, regardless of minority quotas. If the company uses substandard material or has to be taken to court and loses for any reason, his company should be placed on a NO CALL LIST in the USA.

CSRAider
CSRAider 01/23/07 - 08:40 am
About low bidders! Ive lived

About low bidders! Ive lived through the headache of the low bidder always coming back and asking for more money. They Intentionally do it and if you dont pay some dont care if they finish or not. If you take them to court you are spending money that you could be using to finish the Job. Catch22!! Look at the bridge at 56 and Bobby Jones how many years will it take to finish that JOB!

intheknow
intheknow 01/23/07 - 08:44 am
How many times has a company

How many times has a company placed a low bid and in the middle of the project want to adjust the cost. Either the company that was picked is stealing from the city or the company that is suing the city was going to use sub-standard material. Why are the other companies that were not picked suing?

shalimar54
shalimar54 01/23/07 - 08:51 am
ALL smokers force non smokers

ALL smokers force non smokers to take part in therir habit.My
example to them when they say it their freedom is
"" if a herion addict forced you to take herion everytime he chose to is this his freedom?????? Wake Up Smokers you are
putting a gun to our heads.Is this your freedom?????Is this my freedom??????

cricketflea
cricketflea 01/23/07 - 09:04 am
I am like the smoker above.

I am like the smoker above. I, too, smoke. It is the only vice I have left. I like to smoke. It is my health at risk. I smoke OUTSIDE at my own house. Away from home I smoke outside. I don't have a problem with this. I never throw MY butts on the ground. I takes an inconsiderate person to do this. They are just like the person who will throw the candy wrapper or the drink can on the ground rather than find a trash can for it. I do not smoke at another's home, even outside, without asking their permission; this is only proper ettiquette. No one is perfect, least of all me, but anyone can use a little common sense. That's all it takes.

djm
djm 01/23/07 - 09:18 am
We all have our vices, and

We all have our vices, and I'm glad to hear that you're considerate smokers. Nothing irritates me more than seeing a smoker throw their butt on the ground or smoke right near children.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 01/23/07 - 09:22 am
I am NOT a smoker, but I have

I am NOT a smoker, but I have noticed that more SMOKERS TODAY are much more sensitive to the NON SMOKERS rights. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but the exceptions seem to be the minority, now. Hey SHAL, the Paper Mill must be putting a Cannon to our heads (SMILE)

fergie01
fergie01 01/23/07 - 09:23 am
duncan fordham is a good man.

duncan fordham is a good man. his wife deserves everyones respect. i do not think i could have survived all the negativity that has been thrown at her. i am proud to call her my friend and would want her at my side through anything.i stand strong on this my fellow typers. give her a break. she deserves to win this battle with medicaid. this is her business now we are talking about, not duncans.

fergie01
fergie01 01/23/07 - 09:26 am
i have just got to ask

i have just got to ask this...does anyone out there really want hillary for president?

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 01/23/07 - 09:35 am
I vote NO for HILLIARY, and

I vote NO for HILLIARY, and this is sexist, but I could not imagine a woman being Commander in Chief. Changing their minds going thru the cycle, Menopause, etc. Thinking with the other side of their brain. "FEELINGS" I say absolutely NOT.

ForHim
ForHim 01/23/07 - 09:35 am
I am not a smoker either, but

I am not a smoker either, but have smoked in the past. It is an addiction that is very hard to quit. Because it's a legal drug, it makes it that much more difficult. But even the most considerate smoker that doesn't smoke around anyone it bothers or smoke around children does take the risk of it affecting others ... specifically those who love them. My mother died of cancer and now my son has cancer. They were not considered to be in the high risk category, but both of them smoked. To watch what my mother had to go through .. the chemo and radiation .. was devasting to me and my family. We were the caregivers when she could not help herself any longer. Mind you, I did not resent a second that responsibility. My mother was a wonderful person and I was honored to be able to help her. I just wanted to say that it is devasting for a family to see every single day someone that they love being tortured to death by cancer. Just some food for thought.

JXK
JXK 01/23/07 - 09:43 am
Wow! Did anyone watch 24 last

Wow! Did anyone watch 24 last night? If you are not watching this program, you are missing an unbelievable, action packed, realistic and down right awesome series. Kudos to FOX broadcasting for having the intestinal fortitude to air the truth and very real possibilities of continued terror attacks here at home from Muslim extremists! Bravo Bravo!

fergie01
fergie01 01/23/07 - 09:49 am
cycle changes for hillary

cycle changes for hillary would be great during war....but on the other hand i see her taking candy to a gun fight. oh and i am a woman. lol

JXK
JXK 01/23/07 - 09:49 am
NO BILLARY! Unless of course

NO BILLARY! Unless of course you want a President with no core, is moved by opinion poles, and changes her views based on votes, is self serving, will say or do anything to get what she wants. Hmmm? Sounds like her husband. No thank you! We need someone who will not waiver in the face of adversity or unpopularity no matter what.

Delirious58
Delirious58 01/23/07 - 09:59 am
So, I guess you idiots

So, I guess you idiots prefer for another Bush to continue to send our sons, daughters, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandsons, grandaughters and cousins to Iraq and come back in a box.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 01/23/07 - 10:01 am
Delirious, you are putting

Delirious, you are putting words into to our mouths, we don't want another Bush, either. We have had enough of him and his dad. No reason for name calling. Also, the Bush T-shirt is a good point, but does NOT belong on a plane.

KingJames
KingJames 01/23/07 - 10:02 am
We already have Bush, Jr. He

We already have Bush, Jr. He is definitely someone who will not waiver in the face of adversity or unpopularity no matter what. This war is proof of that. We need someone who is true to the people, and will be accountable for all their actions. That doesn't mean they will be spineless and quiver at the thought of making tough decisions. It means they will make the tough, yet intelligent decisions without having to apologize for doing the right thing. Seems like it gets harder and harder to find someone like that, so the country just settles for the person that comes closest.

JXK
JXK 01/23/07 - 10:06 am
n/a

Delirious58
Delirious58 01/23/07 - 10:12 am
JXK, It's obvious of your

JXK, It's obvious of your stand on the issues.
So, why don't you take the first 2 letters of your name and replace them with KK.

ForHim
ForHim 01/23/07 - 10:22 am
JXK -- take your blood

JXK -- take your blood pressure medicine sweetie and watch the language!

intheknow
intheknow 01/23/07 - 10:27 am
Amazing. If you do not agree

Amazing. If you do not agree with the Conservatives you are spineless. Woman may have their cycle. What kind of B.S train of thought is that? I guess you hold your own mother, sister and wife to that same standard. Sounds like someone did not get enough hugs when he was growing up. Sometimes there is honor n knowing when to hold them and knowing when to fold them.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 01/23/07 - 10:29 am
go obama!

go obama!

JXK
JXK 01/23/07 - 10:35 am
Well said King J, well said!

Well said King J, well said!

ForHim
ForHim 01/23/07 - 10:38 am
Personally, I like John

Personally, I like John McCain. He is not too far right and not too far left. I would absolutely trust him when making decisions regarding the safety of our country. And I know I'm about to get busted BIG TIME with this statement ... but the Lord did not make women to be leaders of our country.

kiddspur
kiddspur 01/23/07 - 10:40 am
Great a day without James

Great a day without James Brown! ! ! !

jdsgirl
jdsgirl 01/23/07 - 10:49 am
Is anyone impressed by any of

Is anyone impressed by any of the presidential candidates??

ivymist
ivymist 01/23/07 - 10:51 am
For the person who said every

For the person who said every time a child fails a teacher fails, and so does a parent... I cannot agree with either of those statements. I failed a certain portion of math SEVERAL times, the first half of Algebra. I failed it through two schools, in three grades and with three teachers before a fourth finally helped me. The first two times I was required to take the second half again and both times I passed that, I just couldn't, absolutely couldn't get the first half no matter how much tutoring, individualization or one-on-one time I had. It was the only class I ever failed, and the only algebra I ever had trouble with. In college I passed the 1101 Algebra exam with a 100. I graduated college magna cum laude. No one failed me but my own shortcomings as a human being. It just took FOREVER. So, for EVERY child that fails, someone else does not fail. Sometimes failure is not even an indication of ability, just a shortcoming.

Delirious58
Delirious58 01/23/07 - 10:52 am
kiddspur, don't be so

kiddspur, don't be so sure about that. (lol )

JXK
JXK 01/23/07 - 10:53 am
n/a

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...