Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RAVE for the lady who turned my purse in to Kroger after I left it in the cart. Thank you so much. God was looking after me. God bless you.

THIS IS A RANT TO the persons who wrote in about how it was not fair for Augusta to pay for Mr. Brown's funeral: Apparently you did not have a problem with paying for a trip around the U.S. for Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, can the citizens of Augusta please rant and rave about something other than James Brown? He was a great entertainer and I am sorry that he passed away. However, if you feel the need to stick your nose in his family's personal issues, then turn on the TV to Jerry Springer. Get a hobby.

IN THE COURT OF public opinion it seems that a lot of you have weighed in on the James Brown and Tomi Rae issue. I'm not taking sides, but I think we should all wait to see what the legal system decides before passing any more judgment. After all, no one truly knows what took place except for James Brown and Tomi Rae. And, now it is time for lawyers to dispel fact from fiction.

SOMETHING JUST DOES not add up. Buddy Dallas is a criminal lawyer. That means he knows all the twists and turns. He has yet to show his face on TV. I cannot believe for one second that James Brown would not put little James in his will. It just does not make sense. He called that little boy his son.

DESPITE THE NEGATIVE publicity, a big rave goes out to the staff at the psychiatric hospital. For low pay, little community support, and even at the risk of their own safety, these folks do the best they can with what they have to care for those individuals who are basically rejected by the other hospitals and sometimes by their own families.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@ augustachronicle.com.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 01/20/07 - 06:27 am
Presidents...duh... this is

Presidents...duh... this is expected, LIKE IT OR NOT...JB...expected for us to pay..NO WAY !!!

owensjef
owensjef 01/20/07 - 07:13 am
You want miss that money,

You want miss that money,

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/20/07 - 07:39 am
Taxes pay for James Brown's

Taxes pay for James Brown's funeral? PLEASE. Ford and Reagan were past Presidents of our country. JB was a private citizen. One, I might add, that had quite a bit of trouble paying taxes in the country he was a citizen IN. And MY taxes should pay for his funeral?????

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/20/07 - 07:46 am
James Brown's body being

James Brown's body being moved: I would think maybe there are LAWS that would prevent a corpse from just sitting inside a house somewhere. And do the Brown children REALLY think something they build will get the traffic that Elvis brings? Dreamland they're in, not Graceland.

fergie01
fergie01 01/20/07 - 08:21 am
i wonder if they fianlly

i wonder if they fianlly moved jb for security reasons or did buddy get the willies everytime he went in to steal stuff?

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 01/20/07 - 08:34 am
I Suppose JB intended to put

I Suppose JB intended to put jbII in is will but like everyone else does. ( I'll do that tomorrow) Sometimes tomorrow never comes.
Never put off till tomorrow what you should do today.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/20/07 - 08:51 am
LOL fergie!!

LOL fergie!!

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/20/07 - 08:51 am
go team tomi rae!!!! :-)

go team tomi rae!!!! :-)

NEone
NEone 01/20/07 - 09:17 am
Big rave to the psych

Big rave to the psych hospital? You gotta be kidding! They are hardly "doing the best they can" when they are doing nothing but dispense medications and dole out meals. I'm glad they got caught; maybe now patients will be treated decently and get the help they need.

getalife
getalife 01/20/07 - 09:49 am
Only God and the lawyers know

Only God and the lawyers know if the will presented for James Brown is actually his last will. As far as the comparison between James Brown and Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan, you need to wake up and think before you write.

myobgdi
myobgdi 01/20/07 - 12:01 pm
To the person who thinks it

To the person who thinks it is "fair" that the people of Augusta to pay for a singers funeral, but complains about the funeral costs for 2 PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES. PRESIDENTS/singer. Get it????

owensjef
owensjef 01/20/07 - 12:19 pm
Ther ya'll go again, just

Ther ya'll go again, just running your mouth for nothing. Your Selective Outrage is amazing. When somthing is really important that you need to grip about you are going to miss it. To busy being concerned about Tomi Ray, aperson you never cared about when James Brown was alive.Ya'll make everything Black and white. Yea I said it. Why don't you complain about the Rec dept waisting money. I know ya'll only complain about certain people. Now please correct my spelling, since you always in someone's elese's business.

owensjef
owensjef 01/20/07 - 12:45 pm
What about China?

What about China?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/20/07 - 01:26 pm
Owen, you asked the same

Owen, you asked the same thing yesterday. What is it about China? Are you talking about the terrorists there? Have you noticed I have not messed with you about spelling and grammar for a long, long, time? I actually have not messed with anyone about it; I gave up. You are not really worse than most of the others.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/20/07 - 01:44 pm
Hey owensjef. How ya doin?

Hey owensjef. How ya doin? About China: I think you're right that it's a more important concern than what is happening in the Brown family. I'm not very worried myself, because our own missile defences would take care of anything coming at us or our satellites from China. (I can explain that further if it's really necessary, but I'd rather not.) The security of our ports and borders is a much bigger worry for me, that and the plunging birthrate among ethnically European peoples in France, Germany, Italy and England. I've given you lots of fodder, but I'm just bored to death and tired of the Richmond County politics. That issue I'll just wait out, until the next election cycle.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/20/07 - 02:02 pm
WAOF-What's the story on the

WAOF-What's the story on the plunging European birthrate? Is it worse in Europe than the European descendents here in the states, and why? Warning: scary thought coming! .....Hitler must have been worried about the same thing.

amazedbywhatiread
amazedbywhatiread 01/20/07 - 04:08 pm
If we have to start paying

If we have to start paying for celebraties to be buried then get ready to go broke. I don't see any of them paying for the public's funerals. JB was about the only one that gave back to his community but if we do it for one we have to do it for all.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/20/07 - 04:27 pm
Cur: In less than 25 years,

Cur: In less than 25 years, all these democratically governed countries will be Muslim nations, by a substantial majority. What happened in France a few summers ago is just a foretaste of what is coming. Read "The Cathedral and the Cube" if you want a really well-researched piece on the whole phenom. Or you could look over at National Review Online. My closest friend lives in Italy and told me last week that 30 new mosques have opened in a suburb of Milan in less than five years. The churches in this official Catholic nation are mostly empty, and this is typical for all Europe today. That should speak volumes about what is happening in Europe. This is probably the biggest crisis facing western civilization in generations. We were willing to fight Hitler (finally), but our PC, "be nice to everyone and they will love us" national leadership and media may cause us to delay to our own demise.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/20/07 - 04:29 pm
Mark Steyn also is a good

Mark Steyn also is a good resource for information on European birthrates these days. Just google him.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/20/07 - 04:53 pm

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007760 is a link to an very good explanation of what I am referring to concerning European populations' shifting demographic composition. Very scary stuff happening across "the pond", but you will never get a good read on it from the main stream media in the United States.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/20/07 - 04:58 pm
WAOC: So are Islamics having

WAOC: So are Islamics having large families, or just sort of spreading themselves out around the world? Why has Islam appealed to American Blacks so much? We obviously can't kill all the Muslims. Tonight I will check out the references you mentioned.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/20/07 - 05:08 pm
My spouse is European born

My spouse is European born and raised up until about high school age. I wonder how many Europe lost to us through emigration. I think he once said the Muslims were originally brought in to do the work no one else would do, then everyone was upset because their kids were becoming citizens. That sounds familiar, and I don't want to add fire to the hatred a lot of people already have toward Hispanics. One day there will be no more less affluent people available to import to do our dirty work, then where will we all be?

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/20/07 - 05:17 pm
It is the plunging birthrate

It is the plunging birthrate among "ethnically European" peoples and the literally soaring birthrate among Mulim immigrants that is causing the transformation. Europe in all probability will become governed by and possibly according to Islam before mid-century. It will be a conquest without a "war", in the traditional sense of war. Imagine what it will be like for us in the United States, when all of our former allies are proponents of sharia law, which includes the subjugation of women and designated third-class citizenship status for non-Muslims, ie, all Christians and Jews. Daniel Pipes (of MEMRI) explains what that would be like ("dhimmitude"). It's definitely not something our founding fathers had in mind for us.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/20/07 - 05:18 pm
Scoobynews::: James Brown was

Scoobynews::: James Brown was the only local celebrity here. What "all" are you talking about? It was arranged in a way that all of his people could come give their respects. The James Brown Arena was that only place that would hold all 8000+ of us, and without a cover charge. It's done and over with. There are ways that your taxes are spent that you don't even know about that you would not approve. Why don't you work on that because you can't change what has already happened.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/20/07 - 05:26 pm
And believe me, it's

And believe me, it's virtually impossible that you could fuel the hatred that already is blazing away toward the United States by the Muslim-Arab world. They hate us because so many of us seem to be lacking souls, to be disgusting pigs in terms of our sexual morality and family commitments, and because the majority of us at least nominally claim to be Christian, where salvation is a gift of faith rather than a reward for being faithful. We are totally antithetical to the Islamic eternal perspective and they hate us for not caring at all what they think. Most don't really have a clue about who we really are and couldn't understand it even if they were open to learning about it. They just don't possess a frame of reference for comparison of our lives with their own.

MichaelHadden
MichaelHadden 01/20/07 - 10:29 pm
RE: James Brown's funeral

RE: James Brown's funeral being paid for by the city: Whether it was proper, or not can be debated forever. I personally think it was appropriate, but would rather not get caught up in a huge explanation. My thought is that if you take the population of Augusta, the cost of the funeral & do the math, it works out to be about .25 per person. If it will make you feel better, I'll mail you a quarter. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it really was a small amount to pay for someone who gave so much to the community. Can we move on now?

ivymist
ivymist 01/20/07 - 10:40 pm
I think that at some point it

I think that at some point it shows a lot of respect to be able to move on from one thing to another. James Brown to world issues. I know personally I was in Europe the week of Christmas and I was watching BBC News in my hotel room, plus the French national news, and every other story was about an Islamic nation or a European nation being flooded with Islamic people. There were even news stories about how the Islamic nations are losing their smartest people to any other country in the world. They take tests to be multilingual and then farm themselves out as RNs, Doctors and Lawyers because their home nation will not support them and pay them decently, so they go places where they will be respected and paid for their talent and contributions. So it is not only the lower-class people who take over, the upper-class and highly intelligent people are fleeing to other nations as well.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/20/07 - 10:50 pm
Good info, inymist. It's not

Good info, inymist. It's not a perspective I had particularly considered. They are still Muslim, however, and that still is a completely different world view, especially coming from Middle Eastern cultures as well.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/20/07 - 11:13 pm
Not that I don't want these

Not that I don't want these people here, but companies are hiring imported computer-related experts all the time. (When they are not outsourcing) I don't understand why we don't train people here in these skills. The government wastes so much money; they could waste some on this project. Companies could retrain people they already have, maybe get a tax break. Surely there are so many who would love the opportunity. I don't say they are all Muslims that come here for these jobs, I think a lot of them come from India and are Hindu. I know someone personally who places these people in jobs. She would place Americans if she could find enough with the right skills and smarts.

ivymist
ivymist 01/20/07 - 11:23 pm
Well I am not in any position

Well I am not in any position to say what I do or do not think major corporations should do with their time and effort. I do think the outsourcing and the unwillingness to hire our own people or retrain theo nes we've hired is pretty much irresponsible, but I guess since I am existing on a small level where even the people I know with more than local jobs, are still not (the majority of them anyway, I do know a few who are) in danger of being outsourced. So to me, I can be concerned for other people, but I can't really feel in touch with it until it touches me in a more personal fashion than inflation or some other widespread reach.