Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RANT AGAINST everyone who has absolutely no respect for anyone. There are so many funerals where I see people not only flying by, as though they don't know what is going on, but even getting in the middle of the procession. That is the rudest thing in the world, and I think it should be a crime. People who do this not only have no respect for others but must not have any for themselves either.

BEFORE YOU BRING UP bad things about James Brown's past, sit back, take a deep breath and think about all the things you have done. As a matter of fact, take the time to write them down, then go ahead and try to badmouth someone else. You all bring up negative things as though you are saints.

THIS IS A RANT to the North Augusta post office for flying the flag upside down last week. A flag flying upside down is a signal of distress. Maybe somebody should look into the distress going on at that post office.

I JUST WANT everyone to know that even though we may not want to understand others, we have to learn to. We all must learn to work with everyone and get along. You shouldn't forget where you come from and give joy and love in the process. When God sees this, he will continue to be as good as he is and make a way somehow for us all. Do the right thing in God's name, and he will bless you.

WHY SHIP MORE soldiers to Iraq when a cheaper and safer possible solution is to ship them one big bomb?

I MUST DISAGREE with the person who said Michael Jackson had no business at James Brown's funeral. Yes, MJ has had legal problems, and, yes, he may have done some immoral things, but what does that have to do with James Brown? I'm not a Michael fan, but I must admit his speech about how he idolized James Brown since he first saw him on TV when he was a little boy was the only speech that was not sounding like a call for a racial battle. Some of the things the other men said had absolutely nothing to do with James Brown. (For example: Dick Gregory joking about not looking for Osama bin Laden.)

JAMES BROWN WAS an entertainer, not a politician. Why should the cost of his funeral be the responsibility of Augusta? He apparently has plenty of money in his estate. Use that money, not mine.

A RANT FOR MR. DALLAS and the Brown daughters. You barred Tomi Rae and James II from their home and excluded them from funeral planning. Now you want to condemn Tomi Rae for her behavior. How rational would you be if you had received the same treatment?

I FEEL EVERY 18-year-old male who's not blind, deaf or crippled should be made to join our military. Peacetime as well as wartime.

A RAVE FOR outstanding customer service I received at the Mullins Crossing Chick-fil-A.

A RANT TO THE AUGUSTA Commission for cramming the drag strip idea down our throats. I am a 26-year resident of Richmond County who happens to be an avid drag race fan and an occasional participant. I would love to see such a facility, but only if operated by a group totally independent of the Richmond County government.

A RAVE FOR our security department at Doctors Hospital.

IT IS MY HUMBLE opinion that Woody Merry and his like cause more problems ... than good. They cause discord; they bring no unity to the city.

A RANT TO the cigarette smokers at Augusta Tech; you are really trashing the campus by throwing your butts on the ground.

bone
bone 01/19/07 - 06:44 am
nothing to comment on today,

nothing to comment on today, but for the past two days i have really enjoyed the parenting/schooling discussions in the readers' comments section. raves to everyone who wrote in advocating parent responsibility!

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 01/19/07 - 07:32 am
agreed, parents today have

agreed, parents today have idea about displing their children
they run wild around stores, loud, do not listen to their so called parents even if told to behave. this is all of you who let your children listen to vulgar rap or so called hip hop...you are the worst example of a parent & human ! why should a child be listening to such profanity? does this make a better child? or a more violent & filthy mouth child? easy answer! the latter...i know not all of the rap is bad, but most of it about violence, drugs talking about what they do to their woman & of course $$$$money...money is great but it does not make you a better person or any smarter...you do everything you can to be different but different is not always better...but this will not change, it will only get worst !!!

NEone
NEone 01/19/07 - 07:51 am
Why would Michael Jackson

Why would Michael Jackson stir up a racial battle? Isn't he white?!?!?

serenityjoi
serenityjoi 01/19/07 - 07:55 am
james brown was not stupid he

james brown was not stupid he was a business man. there is a reason tomi rae was not listed in the will. what you folks saw of jb was what he wantedyou to see. his funeral reflected the man and his beleifs eulogized by his freinds. there were no racial undertone in anything that was said. to jbs children listed in the will keep the faith and bless you.

CSRAider
CSRAider 01/19/07 - 08:24 am
Its Friday I dont have time

Its Friday I dont have time for all this BS! Im goin to leave early and meet some friend s for an adult beverage and some grub. Maybe we will just talk weather and Football! I sure am glad baseball is just around the corner!

JXK
JXK 01/19/07 - 09:21 am
As a transplanted Northerner

As a transplanted Northerner many years ago, I had no idea what people were doing stopping in their cars for a funeral procession. This is simply one of those great southern traditions that I happen to love and not something that I was aware of until I arrived here. I now stop and show due respect and honor to the procession. For those that choose to be ignorant and break with tradition....shame shame! Conversely, maybe they too suffer from knowledge deficit related to southern living as I did when I arrived in the south. Just a thought!

carltonspackler
carltonspackler 01/19/07 - 09:31 am
Every 18 year old male should

Every 18 year old male should be made to join the military? What in the world are you talking about? That just may be the most ignorant comment ever stated on this board, and there have been some dumb ones. Freedom, does that word ring a bell? If you think that every 18 year old male should join the military, then maybe you should move to China or Cuba. I have nothing but respect for the Armed Forces, because quite frankly there are doing a job that I will not do. It is unfortunate that the military has the reputation as a last ditch effort for teens who have struggled in high school and cannot get into college. Again, before anyone gets offended the above statement is strictly stigmatic. In closing, how about the ladies who have fought and died for their country? Should they not be forced to join the military as well?

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/19/07 - 09:49 am
The person that made the

The person that made the statement in the rant and rave section "every 18 year old male should be made to join the military" must not have sons. I have two wonderful sons and if they choose to join the military then I'll be the proudest mother and pray God watches over them (war or peace time) but I want it to be their choice to join.

digmick
digmick 01/19/07 - 09:49 am
I am so glad that I left

I am so glad that I left Disgusta. The city government was a farce. The racial divide is huge. People would pull over for a funeral, but not for police cars, fire trucks and ambulances. People would promote Champ Walker and Austin Rhodes as aspokesperson for their causes. A downtown that is dead and a mall that is dying.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/19/07 - 09:51 am
I've been a Falcons fan every

I've been a Falcons fan every since I was a little girl. My father took me and my brother to the home games whenever he could. Now that I'm grown, we still make our way to the Georgia Dome to see the Falcons. Every since Micheal Vick has started f@@@ing up, I'm just not into them like I used to be. I just don't understand why he does those stupid things. Why would he think they weren't going to see what was in that bottle. He's a complete dumb a@@. They need to dock his pay and get some receivers that can actually catch a ball!!!!!!

JXK
JXK 01/19/07 - 09:52 am
HERE WE GO! Though it may not

HERE WE GO! Though it may not be a popular stance, I personally think that every high school grad should be required to preform some type of service to their country. Weather it's the military, peace corps or other services, it's a great place to teach youngsters responsibility, accountabilty, discipline and love for country. Something that is lacking in today's gimme gimme gimme, I'm entitled society.

JXK
JXK 01/19/07 - 09:56 am
We are glad you left too DIG!

We are glad you left too DIG! So why is it that you choose this forum to write about a city that you hate so much? That to me is pure lunacy! If only you took some of the other lunatics with you on your way to la la land. Get a clue!

HUH2
HUH2 01/19/07 - 09:58 am
We are the only "Free"

We are the only "Free" country in the world that does not have a draft. Every American should serve his or her country whether it be two years , four years or whatever is agreed on by referendum. For the protecter freedom has a sweet taste the protected will never know. If you enjoy your freedom you should be obligated to do whatever needs to be done to preserve it or shut up about your freedoms being encroached upon.

HUH2
HUH2 01/19/07 - 10:03 am
When those

When those Chinese,Cuban,Russian,Iranian,Iraqi draftees come knockin', who ya' gon' call? Ghostbusters? I think not .

JXK
JXK 01/19/07 - 10:03 am
Athletes are not immune to

Athletes are not immune to trouble or controversy Nic! Always remember, you can take the person out of the ghetto and give them millions of dollars but you can't take the ghetto out of the person. Similarly, you can take the person out of the trailer park but the trash is still there! Only God can truly change the minds, wills, and emotions of men.

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 01/19/07 - 10:10 am
The only problem with making

The only problem with making 18 yr. old males join the military is that during war time, will the rich kids have to serve in war areas or will they be able to have their parents money get them safe jobs while the others put their lives on the line.

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 01/19/07 - 10:17 am
JXK, so what you are saying

JXK, so what you are saying is that an athlete from a well to do family and background would not get caught-up in any illegal acts? Bull, it does not matter where you are from, but as you stated it is if God changes a person. I think you have been taking classes at idoit U along with me.....LOL

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 01/19/07 - 10:19 am
Nicole, you are very

Nicole, you are very passionate about your falcons, and very colorful with your comments today......LOL

cantwejustgetoverit
cantwejustgetoverit 01/19/07 - 10:24 am
I understand the funeral

I understand the funeral procession thing being about respect but it is my understanding if you are on a 4 lane highway you can still travel on if the procession is L O N G as long as you stay behind the hurst. Is this right?? I was going to Sandersville on HWY 1 and a funeral procession was stretched in front of me. This is a long country road with little end in site until you reach Sandersville. Needless to say I have never been nor seen a procession this LONG before. Over one of the numerous hills I could see the hurst, then cars, then space, then cars, slowly creeping along the highway. Many in the procession were not even going the same speed as the hurst. To make a long story short it took FOREVER to get to Sandersville and I must have road near the end of this line for over 30 minutes as it snailed to God knows where. I even had glares from stragglers that had to "catch" up with the line. Where they came from I have no idea? I was not in any hurry but if I had been this would have been a good way to be late. I am just curious about what is proper. Stay behind the line or stay just behind the hurst in the other lane?

cantwejustgetoverit
cantwejustgetoverit 01/19/07 - 10:25 am
lol TOO funny speakup!

lol TOO funny speakup!

JXK
JXK 01/19/07 - 10:26 am
UNREAL....shut up you putz!

UNREAL....shut up you putz! We (nic and I) were discussing MIKE VIC. Of course there are athletes from all walks of life that are idiots, crooks and violators of the laws! For example, take a look at the steroid junkie Merriman that will be watching the playoffs from his couch in SD, and Ray Lewis who got away with murder in ATL. Just to name a few of our great citizen athletes.

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 01/19/07 - 10:47 am
JXK, now that is the fire I

JXK, now that is the fire I have come to appreciate from you, does not feel like a good discussion without you getting fired-up....LOL

hcsredwolf
hcsredwolf 01/19/07 - 10:59 am
To JXK & HUH?, You two are so

To JXK & HUH?, You two are so right and my hat off to both of you. YES!!!! The military should incoporate the draft again. As a Navy vet and father I know all too well about what the military can do for the young people out there. I enlisted in 1985 and have no regrets about the 20+ years I served. My children are girls and I think they should serve atleast a 2 year stint in the military branch of their choosing, but because of circumstances I couldn't control they won't be doing that. The guidance and mentoring in the services is what these kids need to get them started in life not to mention they might learn a little about self respect and respect for others. If it hadn't been for the military I probably would have wound up being another trouble maker from the southside. Yes we vets ( draftees and volunteers )fought to preserve ya'lls freedom and I think we deserve a little graditude, but there are folks out there that use their freedom to spit on and slander our elected officials and the military. If you have a problem with an elected official use one of your other freedoms, the freedom to vote, instead of opening your big mouth and sticking your foot in it.

Drama Mamma
Drama Mamma 01/19/07 - 10:59 am
ENOUGH let James Brown rest

ENOUGH let James Brown rest in piece GEZZZZZ He was a human being and we all make mistakes and we all do our good deeds which he did alot for our community I personally never meet him but I always heard of him helping people and Im sure he didnt mean to leave his wife and child out of the well he probably just didnt get to it to change it so why would he leave his wife and child out I mean its kinda obvious as much as he loved children so you really think he would have left his own out of the well on purpose....

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/19/07 - 11:03 am
Micheal Vick isn't worth 130

Micheal Vick isn't worth 130 million!!!! He can't even complete a play. It's like these athletes are blessed to be millionaires, but, they missed everything up by thinking they're invincible to the law. Stop all the bull@@@@ and play ball already. I wish athletes would keep that same drive they had in college. In college they had curfew and they wouldn't dare get caught with any type of drug. They need to go back to those days.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/19/07 - 11:05 am
Who's talking about James

Who's talking about James Brown? We're talking about the draft and Sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUH2
HUH2 01/19/07 - 11:14 am
Thank You CPO Red Wolf! I too

Thank You CPO Red Wolf! I too am a former squid due to injuries sustained while serving in a war zone I was unable to do my twenty. I agree 100% BRAVO ZULU

JXK
JXK 01/19/07 - 11:15 am
For the record, I am not in

For the record, I am not in support of ANY draft! I merely suggested a form of civil service to the country. Drafts though necessary in some cases are not needed at this time. However, when we decide to take the gloves off and go after the Iranian regime...maybe! The all volunteer forces are extremely effective in fighting the current hostilities. Having said that, politicians need to stay the F--- out of the fight and let the leaders on the ground fight. The sole purpose of a military is to fight and win battles against our enemies. Not to worry about what will happen to them should they shoot 1st at some Islamic Terrorist hiding behind civilian clothing and women and children. Oooops, how did I get off on that tangent? Oh well, so be it!

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/19/07 - 11:23 am
good morning nic, jxk and

good morning nic, jxk and fergie if you're lookin' :-)

JXK