Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

WHY DO THESE RESTAURANTS have to have the music turned up so loud that you cannot enjoy your meal or relax? I don't understand this.

THIS IS IN REFERENCE to the two rants about Augusta paying for James Brown's funeral: Let me know where you are getting your information.

I HAVE A RAVE for the Breezehill neighborhood association. I would like to thank them for the great time we had at the Christmas fellowship. Thank you.

I THINK YOU SHOULD change the name from Rants & Raves to James Brown and Tomi Rae Rants & Raves. It's boring to read it anymore. We used to get a variety.

WHEN JAMES BROWN sang Georgia on My Mind , it was always with so much feeling. I could tell that he was sick. He knew he was getting ready to leave this Earth because he was calling friends and family and letting them know certain things. His family should have been there when he passed. I love and miss him, and I wish I had had the chance to personally meet him. To the children: You only have one father, so you should have been there. Augusta should be his burial site, and I think that is what he would have wanted.

I HAVE A RANT for everyone who keeps writing in about James Brown, his daughters and Tomi Rae. It's not any of our business. Please stay out of their lives and their family business.

I WAS WATCHING something on the news about a person under the age of 18 who was charged with robbery as an adult. You can't charge someone that is underage that way. Just because it is an adult crime, you cannot do that. Their mind is not definite until the age of 19 or 20 years old. They cannot think rationally yet. You can ask any health advocate about this.

RAVES TO DR. MELVYN L. HAAS, who wrote a letter to the editor concerning James Brown. He's a doctor, and I'm glad he brought out what he did concerning Mr. Brown's last moments. I'm just an ordinary citizen, but I wanted to know, too. Where were the emergency workers, and why wasn't he in intensive care? He obviously wasn't getting good care.

THERE ARE PEOPLE who are saying that they are tired of hearing about James Brown. Well, if you quit calling and writing about it and saying what you don't like about it, then we wouldn't have any rants about the situation. You tell other people to get over it. Practice what you preach.

IT'S AMAZING HOW EASY it is to criticize people who have the ball in their court, such as President Bush, Tomi Rae Brown, etc. People say that they wouldn't know what to do if they were in their shoes. You are not in their shoes, so give them some credit.

A BIG RANT to Health Central for painting over the beautiful murals near the walking track done by local artists. Shame on you.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the article about adaptive sports for our young people in Richmond County schools. We hear so much about the wrong things that the schools in Richmond County are doing. Thanks to the county for providing this outlet for disabled students.

grimreapa69420
grimreapa69420 01/17/07 - 06:15 am
you can charge an underage

you can charge an underage person for an adult crime because its the lame..in georgia there called the 7 deadly sins you might want to think about looking them up..and to say that their mind isnt definate until they are 19 is crazy..when your 10 years old you know whats right and whats wrong and you ESPECIALLY know right and wrong when your a teenager...stop acting like just because they are kids that they cant think..there is NO way you can tell me that when someone robs a place they dont know they can get in trouble for it

Martinez
Martinez 01/17/07 - 06:27 am
I brought up holding

I brought up holding children, specifically teenagers accountable for their own behavior, especially when those behaviors are illegel the other day. My comments were in response to the beer party that the adults were charged for supplying. The same applies now in the above situation. Since when did children get card blanche immunity? Children should be taught right from wrong. Even children at very young ages know not to strike their peers, steel from each other etc... The older kids get, the more it is even reiterated through schools, community and even TV. The parents who are making excuses for children and not holding them accountable are contributing to the denegration of today's society. Take one look at the school system! Kids didn't behave this poorly a generation ago but that was also because parents a generation ago knew how to teach kids the valuable lessons of accountable and responsibility. How to work for what they wanted, that nothing is free in life etc... It is a sad state of affairs when someone truly believes that there is an age limit for decency.

bone
bone 01/17/07 - 06:35 am
kids have always behaved like

kids have always behaved like this - the surprise today is how comfortable parents are excusing their behavior. whether it is in school or out, parents either want to take the blame for their child's behavior or pass the blame to someone else. i know when i was younger that i misbehaved as much as anyone these days; the difference is that my parents would demand that i be held accountable and receive whatever consequences were deemed appropriate.

CSRAider
CSRAider 01/17/07 - 08:23 am
Spanking has been revoked!

Spanking has been revoked! Teens have become unmanagable!

mpbcw
mpbcw 01/17/07 - 08:29 am
Under Georgia law, a person

Under Georgia law, a person is an adult at the age of seventeen. I know because my son went to jail for petty theft at that age and I was informed, by the judge, that seventeen is considered adult by the law.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 08:55 am
Spank them!!!!!!!!

Spank them!!!!!!!!

intheknow
intheknow 01/17/07 - 08:59 am
If you are 16 and kill

If you are 16 and kill someone that person is just as dead as if a 17 year old had killed him. The laws need to be adjusted because the so called childrens of today are a lot more smarter and dangerous than the ones 30-40 years ago.

NEone
NEone 01/17/07 - 09:04 am
During puberty, the brain is

During puberty, the brain is still changing, maturing. One of the last parts to develop is the part that can determine consequences of actions. That means that teens will do stupid things and they need the wisdom of parents to keep them on track. So yes, teens have always behaved like this, but parents have relegated their responsibility to the school, then complained when the school didn't do their (the parents') job. It's time for parents to be parents again, not another friend to your kid.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:18 am
Crime,Crime, Crime!!!! They

Crime,Crime, Crime!!!! They will shoot and rape you over $30 in Augusta. The economy is bad here and that turns people into doing anything for the love of money. They need programs for the youth to keep them off of the streets. Our city is turning into a war zone.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 01/17/07 - 09:23 am
When my child got into

When my child got into trouble, I would NOT believe a word he/she said. Even if they said it was the truth. Children are going to lie to save their butts. I would laugh at the parents that would say "If my son said that was the truth, then I believe him/her that they are telling the truth. The parents are in denial. They think their children are angels. This is where parent go wrong. Don't believe a word these kids say unless you research it yourself and find it to be fact! And make the punishment fit the crime.

jebko
jebko 01/17/07 - 09:28 am
How about resturants with

How about resturants with very low lighting!? Heck, you could be eatin' a bug!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:30 am
Spank them when they need it.

Spank them when they need it. I received punishments, but, if I really did something bad I received a spanking. This taught me discipline and I respected my elders.

carltonspackler
carltonspackler 01/17/07 - 09:33 am
I got spanked growing up and

I got spanked growing up and I will spank my children if they deserve it. Bottom line, and I still believe that is the best way to parent.

truthbknown
truthbknown 01/17/07 - 09:33 am
NicoleKelly, you are actually

NicoleKelly, you are actually right... My children participated in sports in school and the Rec Dept when they were younger. and do you know how many kids who's parents I never saw at a game or event. Some excuses were always, I work. Well I work a full time job and I always made time . Guess what !! All three of my children have turned out GOOD.. Because they were taught if you get in trouble you will take the punishment. These kids know right from wrong and we shouldn't let them get by with the things they do. If they had more things to do I believe most of them would stay out of trouble!!!!

shiloh
shiloh 01/17/07 - 09:35 am
I'm 37 years old and MY brain

I'm 37 years old and MY brain is still changing. (thank God u can't see these bunny slippers on my feet) As far as being charged as a adult or a minor GIVE ME A BREAK! It's not so much about the crime itself but taking responsibilities for your own actions. At an early age you teach your child right from wrong and how to make choices. YOU CAN GET A LICENSE AT 16 BUT U CAN'T BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS UNTIL 12 MIDNITE ON YOUR BIRTHDAY??? If your 5 year old son walks out of a store with a stolen toy and you take him back to return it and to apologize, right then and there that child knows that it was bad and should NOT do it again. So now in the back of that childs mind he knows better.If he does it again then it is a choice .It is up to the parent to make sure it doesn't happen again because at that age the child is still learning. At the age of 16 YOU DO KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONG AND THAT THEIR WILL BE CONSEQUENCES. A PARENT NEEDS TO START EARLY IN A CHILDS LIFE TO LEAD HIM OR HER IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. WHEN YOUR CHILD BECOMES 15 OR ABOVE AND DOES NOT TAKE HEED TO WHAT YOU TRIED TO TEACH HIM OVER THE YEARS THEN KNOW THIS....YOU DID THE BEST YOU COULD.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:40 am
I work with what they

I work with what they consider at risk kids (below poverty level). They need programs for kids to be active and have mentors. What we found is that all of the community centers in the urban neighborhoods are closed due to funding. They can't pay their workers. They don't have enough funding to start activities. BUSH cut out all the funds!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's just a fact. When the economy is bad, the crime rate goes up!!

shiloh
shiloh 01/17/07 - 09:43 am
i don't think you should give

i don't think you should give up on your child but treating the child like a victim and the parent who tried to teach right from wrong like the criminal is dumb. also, most parents can't compete with peer pressure. what you have to say and teach your child isn't nearly as exciting as one of their peers. i do believe that if you didn't make much of a effort raising your child to know right from wrong and enabled him to do what he wants to do outside of the law then you are the reason that your child is a criminal

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:46 am
Majority of the kids in these

Majority of the kids in these areas don't have people to discipline them. What's your next suggestion for that? I mean some of these kids parents are in jail, on drugs, or just don't care. How do you tell a child to care about life when their parents don’t care about them? This is a major problem. People are having kids just so that they could receive benefits.

peonynut
peonynut 01/17/07 - 09:46 am
It is so sad to read these

It is so sad to read these rants and raves and the comments that follow. It shows the lack of education in the area. No wonder they can't teach children the difference between right and wrong, they probably can't spell either of them.

shiloh
shiloh 01/17/07 - 09:46 am
nicolekelly....i agree

nicolekelly....i agree

fergie01
fergie01 01/17/07 - 09:47 am
call me i will spank your

call me i will spank your children for free. an unruly child can dirsupt a whole classroom and family. my children are all teens and older and everyone of them has had their fair share of spankings. all are average kids. i do not regret spanking any of my children and would gladly spend time in jail right now for it. and yes as a grandparent i spank my grandchildren.quit giving kids an out with saying they all need medication.our society overmedicates kids as it is. did your parents spank you or put you on meds? noexcuses. if a kid does wrong . he knows it.

Rose
Rose 01/17/07 - 10:56 am
I don't like the loud music

I don't like the loud music in restaurants. I hate having to holler to make myself heard. They need to turn down the music. Another thing.it would be good if someone opened a restaurant that cooked food with no salt. Some of us are not suppose to have much salt, so why can't we get food with no salt? Salt shakers could be on the table for those who want it. One place the salad dressing is so salty that it will almost turn my mouth wrong side outwards and cause my eyes to water. If we go there to eat, I have to take my own salad dressing.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 01/17/07 - 10:58 am
Spanking does not teach

Spanking does not teach discipline, it teaches that there are consequences for actions. Simply stated, it is a tool for negative reinforcement. Does spanking a kid guarantee that he or she will not misbehave? I got spanked as a kid and I still didn't do what my parents wanted me to do all the time. Big deal. That's life. If you can't manage your children then you probably shouldn't have had them. If you've had to spank your child for the same thing more than once then your spanking isn't getting through to them and it means you are an incompetent parent. I suggest you either spank much harder or or use a device such as a whip. I really dislike whipping my son in front of his children (my grandchildren), but we have to be sure to discipline our children!

LILTEXAS
LILTEXAS 01/17/07 - 11:13 am
our government has given our

our government has given our children the right to act as they do. spank your child and they call 911 and parent will go to jail. i would hate to see what would have happened if i told my parents that, believe me i would have had something to show when they got there. we were not beat but we new if you were told something you did it with no back talk. it was out of respect for the one that put a roof over your head, food in your stomach, prayed for you when you were sick, and never complained about the sleep they lost wondering how they would make ends meet. talk of sex was never talked about in front of children and if the parents had problems little ears were not around to listen in on adult conversations. it goes back to respect, if we respect our children they will respect us. if you tell them what their punishment will be if they are bad carry through with it because if you don't what have you just showed your child (it's ok to lie)? if we lie to them they will lie to us; it goes back to children most often live what they learn. yes, you can teach them the right way and as they get older they may stray,but the bible said they will come back to their teaching.

JXK
JXK 01/17/07 - 11:14 am
Nicole Nicole Nicole: Where

Nicole Nicole Nicole: Where do you get your facts? CNN The (Clinton News Network)? Airhead America? This economy that you speak of happens to be the strongest in more than 10 years. Here are some facts for you to chew on: CPI:unchanged in Nov 2006 Unemployment Rate:4.5% in Dec 2006 Payroll Employment:+167,000(p) in Dec 2006 Average Hourly Earnings:+$0.08(p) in Dec 2006 PPI:0.9%(p) in Dec 2006 ECI:+1.0% in 3rd Qtr of 2006 Productivity:+0.2% in 3rd Qtr of 2006 U.S. Import Price Index:+1.1% in Dec 2006. Stop being such a Kool-Aid drinker and do just a little unbiased research. Kids need programs yes, but the mentors should be mom and dad. The problems all start at home or a lack thereof as well as babies being born out of wedlock to mere babies themselves and the sad state of moral denigration in society. Stop blaming the Federal Government and the President for local government problems. Bush is not the answer for all your misconceived societal ills. Get a clue Nic! I do agree with you on beating those brats on a regular basis. Spare the rod and spoil the child!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 11:29 am
JXK!!!!!! Who can really live

JXK!!!!!! Who can really live off of Min wage? Have you ever visited the inner city? Do you know what they go through? Are you really trying to tell me that this war hasn't taken money away from education and after school programs? Look I know you love BUSH!!! Most of these kids don't have parents, so, what do you have to say about that. By the way, I love Kool-aid orange flavor. Go to downtown Augusta and visit the community centers in the area. You know what you can't because all of them are closed!!!!!!!!!!!!

cantwejustgetoverit
cantwejustgetoverit 01/17/07 - 11:30 am
The problem is too many of

The problem is too many of these so called "teenagers" are raising themselves. If people would stop pushing out 11 plus babies (YES, I know of someone on her 11th) then this would not be an issue. Take care of what you have not expect society to raise them for you. BTW, this same woman with the 11 plus children has one in prison already, one died, one lives in with a grandmother, and the others are fighting for some quality attention.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 11:37 am
People are having kids just

People are having kids just so that they can receive benefits.

JXK
JXK 01/17/07 - 11:38 am
LISTEN ONE AND ALL! MINIMUM

LISTEN ONE AND ALL! MINIMUM WAGE is exactly that...MINIMUM. It was and is intended only for entry level and teenagers just starting out in the job market with little or no skills. It is not and never has been intended to support a family or an adult who has the ability to achieve a higher education. The problem is that you and the liberals of today expect to get more for doing less. If you want more money get more credentials and education under your belt. You see, the more you raise the minimum wage the more you hurt small businesses and the more layoffs you end up with which leads to more unemployment which leads people like you Nicole to further blame the government.

JXK
JXK 01/17/07 - 11:45 am
Ok???? And who is to blame

Ok???? And who is to blame for all of those kids not having parents Nicole? Bush? Hardly! We have free choice in America and the sad fact is that to many ignorant, lazy, entitlement minded members of todays society expect to be supported by the tax payers and government. But, as long as we have blinded people who think it's a government responsibilty to house, cloth and feed we are going to continue to have all these parentless children with no place to play. Wake up!

Developer fined by Georgia EPD

The developer of a Grovetown subdivision has been fined by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division for failing to control erosion and other water quality control violations.