Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

IT LOOKS LIKE WE are going to have to pay James Brown back everything he has done for our city. It goes to show you that not everybody gives out of the kindness of their hearts. I think his estate should pay for it, not us. I would much rather my money go to a family that can't afford a decent burial. What is wrong with this city?

THIS IS IN REFERENCE to the James Brown memorial service. Activist Dick Gregory was disrespectful to the Bob Hope family. He should send them a written apology because his joke was not too humorous.

I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY to meet Mr. Brown. I can remember him going to the dressing room complaining about his hair and how the waves had come out from his working so hard. I simply said I would wave your hair back and he smiled and asked me if I really could do it. I had that opportunity to rewave his hair. His hairdresser could not be at the show. Mr. Brown was such a joy to be around. I have never seen him drink or smoke. He respected me and he was so gifted. I never got a chance to tell him that I completed my course at beauty school. He told me to keep in contact with him but I didn't and now I'm sorry about that. It was the joy of my life to meet a most caring person. Thank you, Mr. Brown, and good luck Ms. Tomi Rae Brown.

I WOULD LIKE TO comment on the person that said we should reinstate the draft. I feel the same way. I am all for the draft. I think it will clean up the streets and the people with warped minds.

THIS RANT IS FOR Tomi Rae. Could you please give us a break? And the next time you get on TV, could you make some tears happen?

THIS IS A RAVE to the man that truly showed the spirit of Christmas and the love of God. While having lunch at Pizza Hut on Tobacco Road, I witnessed a man paying for a lunch for 12 soldiers that were in the restaurant. That blessed my heart and brought tears to my eyes. It was good to see that there are people in the world that are willing to give. Sir, you are a true man of God, and bless you.

THIS IS A RANT FOR Gov. Perdue. Do any of you taxpayers believe the statement that the governor will explain all the private donations after the inauguration? In other words, he'll make all the numbers work out to look like none of your money was used. We could apply this to the public schools in Georgia by giving all the students the answers, and I'm sure our ratings will then improve.

THANK YOU FOR having this great column. Please e-mail ABC and let them know how horrible all that mess is between Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump. ABC needs to fire Barbara Walters because she's a fraud, and they should take The Apprentice off, too. Nobody even watches The View, so they should cancel it for one day. All this backbiting between Rosie and Donald, back and forth, is derogatory.

THIS IS A RANT TO the three adults that supplied the beer to those underage drinkers. They should have been charged with more than a misdemeanor. Our youth have enough problems without irresponsible adults adding to the situation.

sanders20
sanders20 01/15/07 - 04:06 pm
I disagree with the Ruby

I disagree with the Ruby Tuesday issue that people are having. If you order your child something at McDonalds..do you expect it to be free? Even if your child only eats a little bit, that food has been prepared and/or cooked by a cook, your mess cleaned up by a server and the dishes washed by a dishwasher. If you are complaing about the prices of food, more often than not you are a crappy tipper too. As servers we only make $2.13 an hour. When we hear a table complain about prices...we know the tip is going to crappy. So do both of a favor COOK AT HOME...this way you don't get mad at prices of food and we don't cuss you out behind your back for the crappy tip.

NEone
NEone 01/15/07 - 04:09 pm
YankeesFan: I'm sorry for the

YankeesFan: I'm sorry for the lady you talked about, whatever her color. Maybe they didn't need constant coverage on the news since she knew who he was. Maybe more publicity about each and every violent crime would cut down on the number of violent crimes, especially when they show the thug arrested and convicted.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/15/07 - 04:25 pm
People who go out to eat at a

People who go out to eat at a casual dining restaurant, which I have heard that category called, and complain about the prices, have no class and need to go eat off the dollar menu at a fast food place. They are good deals. I have not been to Ruby Tuesday in quite a while, but I used to like it. Since we cannot afford to take a chance on a disappointing experience with our eating out money, I guess we won't go there for a while, now, either. These companies who are "fixing what ain't broke" probably have some executive some place high up who has to justify an inflated salary by instituting useless changes.

firemans mom
firemans mom 01/15/07 - 04:55 pm
The one thing I have noticed

The one thing I have noticed that the people who are doing the complaining about race are the ones that are prejudice. Why did yankeesfan feel it necessary to mention the color of the victim if they themselves are not prejudice. Today is MLK day and to me why is it that people assume it is only a special day for the Black people?????

concerned4
concerned4 01/15/07 - 05:06 pm
THIS IS A BIG RANT TO A CIVIL

THIS IS A BIG RANT TO A CIVIL COURT JUDGE (JENNINGS); You have people swear to tell the truth, the whole truth etc. Why don't you tell the truth about Ms. Bonner. She was in that office 30 plus years before you. She does her job and you fire her. Sir, you are an elected official and do you think you will get placed in this postion again by the voters? Something is wrong with that picture. Are you a R-----?, or do feel threaten by someone who is a women? What about your bookkeeper, you do have one yes? YOU OWE MS. BOONER AN APOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!

Truckguy
Truckguy 01/15/07 - 05:47 pm
Come on, Martinez, get your

Come on, Martinez, get your head out of the clouds or the sand whichever it may be. The Beer Party was handled appropriately in Lincoln County. Kids are not adults and should not be treated as adults as they are in Columbia County. Let the parents be responsible for the disipline of the kids and the law handle the disipline of the adults.

owensjef
owensjef 01/15/07 - 06:03 pm
GADOG is about as clueless as

GADOG is about as clueless as can be, ask yourself gadog why was there ever a need for a NAACP or a SCLC. Ask youself why was there a need for MLK or Malcolm X . You never needed a NAAWP because your rights were going to be respected. I can not understand the logic of this. For those who say he was not a perfect man, well neither was Thomas Jefferson. Why does dirt always have to come up with certain kind of people are being mentioned. Now go ahead and analyze my sentice structure, but I know you read me loud and clear.

owensjef
owensjef 01/15/07 - 06:09 pm
I see no one is upset about

I see no one is upset about Tom Beck and that mess at the recreation department. Why! I know why but please someone help me.

laena.stokes
laena.stokes 01/15/07 - 06:16 pm
iguess you can say this is a

iguess you can say this is a rant for the city of augusta. people are always praising the police and fire departments but no one ever acknowledges the ems workers. these people put their lives on the line to save others and we don't even notice their existence until we need to call for an ambulance ourselves. i have been in stores where the polic e and firemen are offered free coffee, soft drinks and discounts but they offer ems nothing for their hard work. these people work very long hours and miss days with their own families for the citizens of agusta for wages that clearly need to be raised. its time to realize who really does all the work to help you when you dial 911! keep up the good work gold cross. you have a supporter in me.

grimreapa69420
grimreapa69420 01/15/07 - 06:23 pm
to the idiot that thinks the

to the idiot that thinks the draft should come back..the draft goes against EVERYTHING this county is SUPPOSED to be about..how can you MAKE someone join the army and call this a "free" country seems a bit like an oxymoron to me...i guess its because this country really isnt that free and it isnt to much of a democracy this country is a dictatorship and the government is the dictator...NO MATTER WHAT the people will have zero say about anything is this country and anything the government says we must do it.....by the way happy bday MLK maybe one day your dream can REALLY come true

dustins803
dustins803 01/15/07 - 06:28 pm
I think that it is pretty

I think that it is pretty stupid that I had to go to war in Iraq to get away from the black / white issue. Over there, color of the skin doesn't matter, you become family and work together. Maybe some of you need to give the military a try, you could use the reality check.

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/15/07 - 06:30 pm
Yankee. First, "i before

Yankee. First, "i before e, EXCEPT after c". Remember that rule in school? It's RECEIVE!! I have no doubt that Buddy Dallas did exactly what JB told him to do. He was his atty for 24 years. I'm sure he knew him, and his wishes, better than ANYONE else, including his kids. Tommi Rae would have gone in and cleaned the joint out, and headed to where she is now--California. I was on her side in the beginning-until her "production" at the funeral and since. I for one hope that the kid isn't his, and she gets nothing. I think the family has acted with WAY MORE class than I expected them to, mainly by keeping quiet, and letting the law run it's course.

dustins803
dustins803 01/15/07 - 06:36 pm
I agree with grimreapa69420

I agree with grimreapa69420 about one part of his statement.. The draft shouldn't make a come back.. I don't want to fight next to someone that doesn't want to be there.. It's a disgrace to think that we go from a time where men were proud and wanted to serve their country, to where we have to talk about drafting people because they don't care about the principals and foundations that this country was built upon. Do you really want someone fighting for your freedom and country that doesn't care about it to start with?

owensjef
owensjef 01/15/07 - 06:48 pm
been there done that Dustin

been there done that Dustin

marien
marien 01/15/07 - 07:12 pm
You guys are on a roll HAPPY

You guys are on a roll HAPPY MLK day to all.

dustins803
dustins803 01/15/07 - 07:31 pm
Can't we let the whole James

Can't we let the whole James Brown issue rest.. He's gone.. It's over.. What else can we name after him? There's a street, an arena, and he has a statue.. Just a though, maybe we should build a statue for Hulk Hogan.. He was born in Augusta.. We could rename the Bell or Imperial, and even give him a street too..

Rose
Rose 01/15/07 - 07:47 pm
pinkie, production at the

pinkie, production at the funeral?Tomi Rae was escorted to her seat at the arena. She was not given a chance to walk past the casket of her husband. So she stooped down at the lid of the casket while she was on the stage. Well, big deal! There was nothing wrong with that. She put a flower in there with him. I have seen people put momemtos in with they loved ones. If that is what she wanted, she did not have to ask anyone.Another thing, I don't think the Brown family has any class at all. They ignore their little brother like the plague. Their dad would be so ashamed of them.

wheeza
wheeza 01/15/07 - 07:55 pm
owensjef? Do you even know

owensjef? Do you even know Tom Beck? I do, and the things that have been reported are false.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/15/07 - 09:13 pm
Some people need to be told

Some people need to be told that we don't say someone is prejudice, we say they are prejudiced. I see that over and over in here. We need to get this country to the point where there is no need for an NAACP, or a NAAWP. I thought we were to the point where we would not need a draft, but I now see the government being irresponsible with the lives of our troops by getting them into absurd wars. They might have to reinstate the draft to get their cannon fodder.

Be about it
Be about it 01/15/07 - 09:51 pm
gadawg1968, this is for you.

gadawg1968, this is for you. You left Augusta, but your ignorance and silliness is still here. The NAACP is in every state in this union and so are other organizations that want to free the mind of every minority in the U.S. You can stop running from yourself. Stop being a problem and help bring about a solution "dawg".

jab0226
jab0226 01/15/07 - 09:55 pm
In defense of Ruby Tuesday's

In defense of Ruby Tuesday's the general public needs to understandd"Nothing comes in a restaurant for free" so "Why should it go out for free" being in the inustry people need to understand "When you eat out you pay for service not food and 95% of the time you dont tip decent anyway" So complaining about a restaurant is awful just dont go,how would you feel if someone came to your job and complained publicly about your performance or place of employment.I can also see that things havent changed much about the southern mentality . Remember this: Because of historical events that have been proven threw actions if you dont make important what is happening to your people then it will never be important . African-Americans remembering there heritage of being bonded and brought here is not a bad thing . We celebrate our independence from England even though we were slaves at the time. If you take the time to anaylize the action done to the people in question maybe you could understand the importance to the individual. BE A LITTLE MORE OPEN MINDED

wheeza
wheeza 01/15/07 - 10:07 pm
jab0226, What is southern

jab0226, What is southern mentality? Is this a prejudice statement?

grimreapa69420
grimreapa69420 01/15/07 - 10:33 pm
not wanting the draft and not

not wanting the draft and not wanting to be in the military have little to do with "the principals and foundations that this country was built upon" maybe its because when you get down to it a lot of people dont support this country or the way its ran or maybe i think the war we are in is rediculous...this country isnt even ran on "the principals and foundations that this country was built upon" anymore its ran on what a select group of people feel is best for them...maybe if this country was still ran with "the principals and foundations that this country was built upon" things would be a little different then they are now

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/15/07 - 10:36 pm
I wonder when restaurants

I wonder when restaurants will start charging for that glass of water for which some people ask, in order to save money. Often they will ask for a glass of water with lemon. Some will get a glass of water and, if it is a serve yourself place, they grab a whole handful of lemon wedges. Then they make lemonade at the table. The costs of serving, the washing, the lemons, and the ice all add up. Then probably all that is added to the cost of my diet Coke that I order, or your iced tea. We pay for their "free water." I wonder if jab0226 would try to explain more what he or she is trying to say on the race thing. It is somewhat garbled. I have lived as much of my (middle-aged) life in the "Nawth" as I have in the South. We down here started off behind the North in race relations, but as a white person, I heard the other whites talking when no blacks were around, and they are plenty prejudiced up there, too.

owensjef
owensjef 01/15/07 - 11:47 pm
I know Tom Beck is over

I know Tom Beck is over Newman Tennis and the golf course, thats not true

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/16/07 - 12:23 am
People just don't take

People just don't take alcohol related crimes seriously in the Good Ole Boy US of A, whether it is DUI, or giving alcohol to minors, or minors deliberately obtaining it. I don't say those kids in Lincoln County should have been treated as adult criminals, but they needed to be put into some sort of alcohol educational program. I have to laugh at the fervor put into the war on drugs, because alcohol is the "drug of choice" for the establishment, and we dare not get strict with it. Any sort of medical doctor involved in giving alcohol to minors needs to be charged with way more than a misdemeanor. Should he even be allowed to keep his license?