Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

IT LOOKS LIKE WE are going to have to pay James Brown back everything he has done for our city. It goes to show you that not everybody gives out of the kindness of their hearts. I think his estate should pay for it, not us. I would much rather my money go to a family that can't afford a decent burial. What is wrong with this city?

THIS IS IN REFERENCE to the James Brown memorial service. Activist Dick Gregory was disrespectful to the Bob Hope family. He should send them a written apology because his joke was not too humorous.

I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY to meet Mr. Brown. I can remember him going to the dressing room complaining about his hair and how the waves had come out from his working so hard. I simply said I would wave your hair back and he smiled and asked me if I really could do it. I had that opportunity to rewave his hair. His hairdresser could not be at the show. Mr. Brown was such a joy to be around. I have never seen him drink or smoke. He respected me and he was so gifted. I never got a chance to tell him that I completed my course at beauty school. He told me to keep in contact with him but I didn't and now I'm sorry about that. It was the joy of my life to meet a most caring person. Thank you, Mr. Brown, and good luck Ms. Tomi Rae Brown.

I WOULD LIKE TO comment on the person that said we should reinstate the draft. I feel the same way. I am all for the draft. I think it will clean up the streets and the people with warped minds.

THIS RANT IS FOR Tomi Rae. Could you please give us a break? And the next time you get on TV, could you make some tears happen?

THIS IS A RAVE to the man that truly showed the spirit of Christmas and the love of God. While having lunch at Pizza Hut on Tobacco Road, I witnessed a man paying for a lunch for 12 soldiers that were in the restaurant. That blessed my heart and brought tears to my eyes. It was good to see that there are people in the world that are willing to give. Sir, you are a true man of God, and bless you.

THIS IS A RANT FOR Gov. Perdue. Do any of you taxpayers believe the statement that the governor will explain all the private donations after the inauguration? In other words, he'll make all the numbers work out to look like none of your money was used. We could apply this to the public schools in Georgia by giving all the students the answers, and I'm sure our ratings will then improve.

THANK YOU FOR having this great column. Please e-mail ABC and let them know how horrible all that mess is between Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump. ABC needs to fire Barbara Walters because she's a fraud, and they should take The Apprentice off, too. Nobody even watches The View, so they should cancel it for one day. All this backbiting between Rosie and Donald, back and forth, is derogatory.

THIS IS A RANT TO the three adults that supplied the beer to those underage drinkers. They should have been charged with more than a misdemeanor. Our youth have enough problems without irresponsible adults adding to the situation.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/15/07 - 03:00 am
In regards to the three

In regards to the three adults who provided alcohol to minors, I agree with the posted Rant. Isn't there something in the Georgia code that says a person can be assumed to intend the probable outcome of their actions? The probable outcome in this case would be young drivers under the influence, resulting in injuries and deaths, right? Surely the law enforcement there could have come up with a charge more severe than a misdemeanor. What kind of people were these, anyway? Was the five dollars admission to share the cost of the booze, or were these idiots sort of selling the stuff?

Martinez
Martinez 01/15/07 - 06:25 am
Wow, do the teenagers who

Wow, do the teenagers who went to the party own any share of responsibility? I think what the adults did was wrong, bad, punishable etc... but if the adults are to be punished, so too should the teens. To ignore their actions is to say teens aren't responsible for their actions and I definitely disagree with that. If the teens did face penalities, it would certainly serve as a lesson to them and others when faced with future situations.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 01/15/07 - 07:07 am
Keep fighting Tomi Rae Brown,

Keep fighting Tomi Rae Brown, for you and JB Jr., you deserve better.
All City and County offices need investigating, not just one or two. There's a lot of underheanded business and bookkeeping going on. BUT also include the BOE and get rid of some of those "OH YOU CAN'T TOUCH ME PEOPLE" - I believe the whole county in all aspects would be better off and we would not be in the red. Get rid of all these high paying employees that do NOTHING.
As for these teenagers getting alcohol--The adults should be charged with DUI and held accountable more than a misdemeanor. That does nothing for the people these teenagers may mangle up or even kill.
Don't try to be a firend, be a loving, caring and strict parent and these teenagers will end up being your best friend, I know, I have been through this, when my daughters' father gave her free reign at the age or 15-16, until a judge told her, go back home and live with your mother, she LOVES you and now we are best friends.
I hope this helps other parents.

luckie
luckie 01/15/07 - 09:20 am
I regret not reading about

I regret not reading about the parents that provided alcohol to these teenagers. I don't even know where it occurred. I do believe that all neighborhoods should participate in a watch program and I wiish that one of the neighbors would have called the police. When I was a child some forty years ago, my neighbor's child received some alcohol from a house down the street. They sued those parents of the teenagers that provided the alcohol to their daughter and came out with quite a bit of money. How much has times changed? I thought we were more lawsuit crazy in todays society.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/15/07 - 09:24 am
What is it with everyone

What is it with everyone wanting to see tears?? Steve Irwin's widow was on Larry King the other night and I didn't see any tears. That doesn't mean she isn't grieving. How wicked can you be? The woman lost her COMPANION, her child's FATHER, her FRIEND, her singing PARTNER, and on top of that, she couldn't get into the home they shared. Leave her alone already! So what if you didn't see any tears.

fergie01
fergie01 01/15/07 - 09:59 am
i am with you on this one

i am with you on this one too..yankeesfan.some people just don't grieve like the public expects them too. i have a child that cries but does not shed tears.

tbarth100
tbarth100 01/15/07 - 10:01 am
I read the article about how

I read the article about how Ruby Tuesday is spending 80million to change its image to a more high society restaurant, hmmm now I get why the manager at a local Ruby Tuesday made our waitress inform us that they were going to charge us 4.99 for a kids salad bar for my 18mo old baby who had probably three peas and two pieces of pasta from my plate AFTER my waitress said they wouldn't charge us for her. Suggestion to Rudy Tuesdays: let kids under two eat free, oh wait you have to find a way to make up for that 80million, well guess what? You lost customers forever, we will go right next door to the multitude of other restuarants in Augusta/Evans.

AsItIs
AsItIs 01/15/07 - 10:22 am
Why hasn't Auston Rhodes

Why hasn't Auston Rhodes mentioned the latest Lincoln County episode?

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/15/07 - 10:32 am
To "YankeesFan". The big

To "YankeesFan". The big difference between Tommi Rae and Terry Irwin is, Tommi Rae was pretending to be SO upset and greiving, boo-hoo-hoo, and complaining about HER treatment the whole time, at least what I could stand to watch of it. She is such a fake. Her "display" at the casket was horrible, and typically a total act. Terry Irwin was upbeat, positive and celebrating Steve's life and legacy, not once wanting anyone's pitty. I grieve with Terry, Bindi and Robert, not with Tommie Rae.

aintryt
aintryt 01/15/07 - 10:52 am
Since the Augusta Chronicle

Since the Augusta Chronicle cares too much about dragging this whole JB thing on forever and not print legitimate rants I'll have to put it here instead. Why are gas prices in South Richmond County 10 cents higher than surrounding areas?

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/15/07 - 11:28 am
Happy Birthday Dr. Martin

Happy Birthday Dr. Martin Luther King

Queen4842
Queen4842 01/15/07 - 11:58 am
pammy you want to see what

pammy you want to see what Austin has to say about Linlcon county then go here http://forums.augustachronicle.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_top...

Curlie56
Curlie56 01/15/07 - 12:02 pm
Good lookin' out

Good lookin' out NicoleKelly.....Happy Birthday Dr. King. I am on my way to my church for the church service to represent his teachings, which seems to have gone out the window.

DCFONE
DCFONE 01/15/07 - 12:12 pm
Bury James Brown please?????/

Bury James Brown please?????/

opinions
opinions 01/15/07 - 12:18 pm
lol at dcfone!!!!!!!!

lol at dcfone!!!!!!!!

whatever1
whatever1 01/15/07 - 12:28 pm
Ruby Tuesday is doing the

Ruby Tuesday is doing the renovation to attract a high end customer--what about those of us who have made them what they are today--if they take that "high end" approach they will not make it in the future--and to charge a child under 2 for salad--get real--how much could that child have eaten. If I had been the mother I would have filled up several plates with salad and just left them on the table out of principle--I don't believe in waste but I also don't believe in cheating people either. I have never understood why companies take something that is working Ok and want to change. GET REAL RUBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 01/15/07 - 12:48 pm
There was once a little store

There was once a little store in North Augusta"The Old American Store" .....a small crafter's paradise ..great prints, custom framing...flowers and arangements....wicker furniture..., and oil paints, canvas...just a really cool place...then someone got the grand idea to "upscale" they moved and restructered the store and raised prices and went OUT OF BUSINESS..folks if it ain't broke don't fix it.

ivymist
ivymist 01/15/07 - 12:59 pm
I agree witht he rant about

I agree witht he rant about Ruby Tuesday. I used to go there because it was a great place to get a salad and some other food that was different from every other restaurant. But now it seems like every two months the menu becomes narrower and the prices higher. Now I hardly ever even think of it as an option. I am not poor, and eat out more often than not, but when two people have to pay upwards of $25 for a meal that is not any better than they could cook at home, or when they walk into a restaurant expecting to be able to get the same thing they had last time, only to find it gone, or $5 more expensive... I can find another place to eat.

jdcooper
jdcooper 01/15/07 - 01:08 pm
Dang you people are a bunch

Dang you people are a bunch of cry babies. If you don't want to see Ms. Brown... then turn the TV OFF and do something productive. You're obviously watching too much tv!!! It's not any of your places to judge Tommi Rae- it has nothing to do with YOU!! James Brown chose her as his companion- legal or not- that was HIS decision not yours!!! Get a life!

footstepstoglory
footstepstoglory 01/15/07 - 01:50 pm
Aintryt--Gas prices are

Aintryt--Gas prices are cheaper in South Carolina then in Richmond County due to more taxes by the city. They are having a hard time trying to keep up with their own expenses, that they have increased taxes in Richmond County due to their poor management of taxpayer monies. At the rate they are going, and the economy being what it is, we will have fewer freedoms in 2 years or less. The taxes will only increase by 12% this year and will rise by another 19% next year and so on until the deficit is fixed.

gadawg1968
gadawg1968 01/15/07 - 02:36 pm
Now I read that a Senator

Now I read that a Senator from Delaware wants the Confederate Flag off of the South Carolina grounds. What business is it of his. The NAACP will not be satisfied until the people of the United States just hands over the keys to the City of Augusta, Columbia, and then Washing DC including the White House. I do not understand why they think the world owes them something. They already outnumber whites in Augusta 2 to 1 if not more. I am sick of it and thats why I moved out of Augusta. I still like to read the paper on-line. But I am glad that I no longer live there. I think that the NAACP spreads more hate than anyone. Hey guys what would happen if we came up with NAAWP? United White People College Fund? We would be racist. Fair is fair. Stop wanting the world to bend over and kiss your cheek just because you are black.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/15/07 - 02:56 pm
I'm so grateful for all of

I'm so grateful for all of your contrubutions Dr. Martin Luther King!!!! If it wasn't for his knowledge and vision I wouldn't be here today. Thanks Dr.King. Shame on you Ga dawg1968!!!! Can't you wait another day to talk about something so negative. This is Dr. Martin Luther King Day!!!!

alias1
alias1 01/15/07 - 03:00 pm

thank you gadawg1968 well said!!!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/15/07 - 03:02 pm
You people are so

You people are so ignorant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ apb and ga dawg

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/15/07 - 03:13 pm
Mr. or Ms Martinez, I did

Mr. or Ms Martinez, I did wonder about that. The only reason I can think of for the kids to all get off is that some of them were from influential families. I don't know about Lincoln County, but that, unfortunately happens everywhere. Isn't that where some black prisoner hung himself and some other prisoner was missing for half a day or so before it was noticed that he was not there?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/15/07 - 03:32 pm
What I think is funny about

What I think is funny about the Ruby Tuesday thing is that Walmart has also decided to (try to) go more upscale. They did away with lay-a-way, which is used by the marginal people of our society. Now I hear they are doing away with some fabric departments. Sewing women in rural areas depend on that fabric department. I think they are eroding their base. Walmart's fortune was built on smaller towns where shopping was scarce. They wonder why they did not have such a great Christmas season. They are trying to fix something that was not broken!

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/15/07 - 03:34 pm
To Pinkie: No one locked

To Pinkie:
No one locked Terry, Bindi and Robert out of their home. There is no lawyer claiming that Terry was not married to Steve Irwin. There is no one claiming that those kids weren't his, either. She will be recieving everything a widow is supposed to recieve. That doesn't mean she isn't grieving, though. It's sad for ANYONE to lose a loved one.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/15/07 - 03:37 pm

Thank GOD they have arrested the NASTY DOG that robbed and raped a 70-something year old woman!!!! From what I just read, this guy had no business on the street anyway. How do they change charges from cocaine posession to disorderly conduct? If they had left the charges true to the crime he would probably have been still locked up and that poor little old lady would not have gone through such a night mare! Shame on the justice system!

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/15/07 - 03:45 pm
There was a similar crime

There was a similar crime like that one a few years ago, except the victim was in her 80's and she was black. The rapist thought he had killed her but she had only passed out, and was able to tell police exactly who did it. He lived only a few houses away from her. As he was raping her, she prayed. He told her there was no need to pray because she'd be seeing Jesus in a few minutes--- (that was his way of telling her he was going to kill her when he was done).
Not only did he beat, rape, rob and attempt to murder her, but he also gave her a sexually transmitted disease. This happened on 2nd Avenue in Augusta.
There was no big write up in the news about it and no constant coverage on all the TV News stations. There was no news conference when the criminal was arrested. I wonder why? Was it because it was a black on black crime?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/15/07 - 03:59 pm
This is, after all, MLK day,

This is, after all, MLK day, so it would be nice if y'all would consider the feelings of people who admired him. Since they have already sanitized his birthday by celebrating on a Monday so we can all have a more "convenient" holiday, I would like to see it made to have more meaning. I would propose to call it MLK Civil Rights Day, or something like that, and let's also honor all the unsung people who made the strides possible that have been made, and who followed King's philosophy. He was not a perfect man, but he would have shared his honor with the small people. Do any of you remember the small number of black students who volunteered to move to the white schools when they were first desegregated? That was bravery. When I was a teenager, I recall the first black woman who ate in the restaurant where I worked. I am white, and my generation can recall these people, but I am afraid young blacks will not know the courage shown on the front lines of that struggle.

Commission to discuss Jackson replacement Monday

Mayor Pro tem Corey Johnson requested the issue be addressed at Monday's called commission meeting at 11:30 a.m., according to clerk Lena Bonner.