Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A VERY big rave for the lady that was in Harbor Inn restaurant Dec. 31 at lunchtime. My mother and I went there after church and she came to our table and told my mother that she reminded her so much of her grandmother that she just had to come over and speak to her and she put some money in her hand and told her that was to help pay for her lunch. You said your grandmother was in heaven. I know she is very proud of you. May God bless you and your family.

I HAVE A RAVE FOR Richmond County Deputy Cam Darling, who saved me from a frightening experience on Thursday night before Christmas. I was driving onto Bobby Jones Expressway when I had a blowout on the front driver's side of my car. It was dark and raining; cars were driving by in a Christmas rush and I was alone. Deputy Darling came to my rescue and was so pleasant about it all. I thank him so much.

IT'S ABOUT TIME. Marion Williams has hindered the growth of Augusta long enough. May Mrs. Beard do a better job. Augusta needs growth.

THE TAX AND SPEND folks are back in charge. Open your wallet and say, "Ouch!"

THIS IS NOT A RANT or rave, but simply a laugh at what the people of Augusta, Ga., have to say every day. Please, is there anything else you people have to gripe about? Be thankful you're still alive and that our country is still semi-functioning. Seriously, some of the stuff in the newspaper is a trip. Use your minds for something else besides foolishness.

IS IT JUST ME, or is the eastern side of North Augusta looking a lot like Mexico?

A GREAT, BLESSED rave for Beasley Broadcasting. We finally have great gospel music on WGUS-FM for the entire CSRA.

HEADLINE: "NATION prepares for final goodbye" for Ford. "Final?!" It seems it'll never be final. When will we learn that politicians are not kings? And when will politicians learn?

UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA to hold Carter conference. It'll be "historic" all right, for bringing together a long list of losers.

A BIG RAVE FOR TOMI Rae on Larry King. She was hilarious! But she does need to work on her "crying" a little bit.

I HAVE A RAVE AND a rant for Al Sharpton. The rave is for the great job he did for the James Brown funeral. The rant is for having Dick Gregory step up on that stage. Dick Gregory did not show any respect for James Brown. What James Brown has done over the years to bring everyone together, Dick Gregory tore down in just a few minutes. All Dick Gregory did was spew out hatred.

THIS IS A RANT TO Jesse Jackson and Dick Gregory. Watching the services on TV, I noticed Jesse Jackson never had a facial expression, just the same old sour look he always wears. But when Dick Gregory came on stage and spoke his civil rights hatred, Jesse's face lit up and he actually smiled and laughed. Anyone who laughed at Dick Gregory's remarks still has hatred in their hearts.

A RANT FOR THE politician whose ego got the country mired in another war. Republicans are good at starting war, but it takes a Democrat to finish it.

POOR LARRY KING: He seemed to believe every word. Now we know why he has gone through so many failed marriages.

I WILL BE GLAD WHEN they build the drag strip. I am tired of dead Augusta, I want Augusta to be alive. I will have a place for excitement, so hurry up and build the drag strip. Have a happy new year.

I HOPE THAT AUGUSTA realizes that the whole nation is watching us and not just for the Masters.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 01/07/07 - 08:08 am
IS IT JUST ME, or is the

No, It's not just you. North Augusta needs to get it cleaned up. I'm so proud of the city and how beautiful it is, and then you come across that part of the city. A little extra work here, please North Augusta. There has to be some laws being broke with all the junk piled up in the yards. Thanks

NEone
NEone 01/07/07 - 08:27 am
You don't like the gripes of

You don't like the gripes of Augusta? Since the online paper doesn't include the comics page, I use the Rants and Raves column in its place. You gotta admit, some of them are a hoot!

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/07/07 - 08:34 am
The public totally LOVED

The public totally LOVED President Kennedy. If you watch footage of him when he rode through different cities in a motorcade, people came out in droves. Not only was he a great president, but he and his wife were somewhat of a celebrity status! I've never seen any other president treated that way.

Chad
Chad 01/07/07 - 08:52 am
To the person writing that it

To the person writing that it takes a Democrate to finish war, Truman was the last Democrate that finished a war the right way he drop Two bombs, and the fight was over. But if you call cuting and running, or better worded withdrawing, Retreating as finishing a war I say you are mistaken. Give the Military what they need, remove the media, and let the Military finish the Job.

Rose
Rose 01/07/07 - 09:49 am
Every week I read in the

Every week I read in the paper that someone has been ejected from their vehicle and died.Doesn't that say wear your seatbelts? I don't even crank my car up till my belt is fastened, and I refuse to touch the gas petal till everyone in the car is buckled up.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 01/07/07 - 10:21 am
I might not have been born

I might not have been born yet, but from what I learned in school, a Democrat got this nation involved in Vietnam and a Republican got us out.

Rose
Rose 01/07/07 - 10:32 am
yep sure did.

yep sure did.

owensjef
owensjef 01/07/07 - 10:50 am
Who cares if a Democrat or

Who cares if a Democrat or Republican got us into a war. The individual person is responsible. Talk radio has got this country so divided and so partisan that it is going to be the down fall of this nation. Every Dem or every Rep is not bad, look at the individual and don't just take sides no matter what.

Rose
Rose 01/07/07 - 10:58 am
I vote for the person, not

I vote for the person, not the party, but look at history.

DCFONE
DCFONE 01/07/07 - 11:00 am
Mexico in N.Augusta? Hey

Mexico in N.Augusta? Hey folks, are you willing to pick the peaches for the same wages and benefits that "Mexico" is. You'd never have a peach for lunch if it depended on you.

owensjef
owensjef 01/07/07 - 11:02 am
What is there to win in Iraq.

What is there to win in Iraq. We will not be able to make them act nice and be like the U.S. We already won the military battle, Sadam's army ran and crumbled. Now we are making the same mistakes the Russians made in Afghanistan, occupying a nation that is not willing to come togather. I don't want to see not one single American die for this. We should say hey Sadam is gone and we made an attempt to rebulid and you Iraq's must do the rest and leave that place. It is not surrender. What more can we do there but see our young men die for them. Thats crazy!

hudd
hudd 01/07/07 - 11:17 am
After Dick Gregory finished

After Dick Gregory finished his rousing oratory about "going through the big door" and living right in the face of eternity,
who is the first guy he turns around and hugs? MICHAEL JACKSON...hahahahahahah What a great statement that line up
made about the state of modern civil rights leadership in America.

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 12:18 pm
We all know the Mexicans are

We all know the Mexicans are the only ones who will do alot of the work that whites and blacks think they're above doing for the wages offered. So why dont you leave them alone or better yet go meet them. They are gracious hard working people who want nothing but a better life for their families. That is the "American Dream" isn't it.

Chad
Chad 01/07/07 - 12:32 pm
Yes devilboy it is the

Yes devilboy it is the American dream. But at least they should be here legally they are getting free medical care and other beni's that us Americans are paying for. Many of them have stolen SSN#, falsified Id's, and they state they are not criminals last time I looked It's against the law to cross the boarder without a passport, stealing a SSN#, Falsifying ID’s.

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 12:34 pm
It is true they do these

It is true they do these things puddingstirer, but wouldn't you do anything legal or illegal to make a better life for your family.

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 12:44 pm
As a former resident who grew

As a former resident who grew up in Augusta, I now live in Southern California. I'm married to the daughter of legal immigrants from Mexico. I know the sacrifices of her parents to make a better life in America. I see illegals everyday and they always do the same thing. They're out there looking for work to better themselves and thier families. They want the same oppurtunities as every other immigrant who came here and whether legal or not I think if they're willing to try leave them alone.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/07/07 - 12:51 pm
So devilboy is saying it's

So devilboy is saying it's okay to do illegal things to take care of your family. So it's ok to rob a bank, burglurize a house, etc.? Illegal is illegal. Period. (my apologies to puddingstirer for the mistake)

Chad
Chad 01/07/07 - 12:54 pm
No I would not do anything

No I would not do anything Illegal. My spouse is here with a green card, I have spent several thousdands of dollars ensuring that her ID cards are up to date and that there are now problems. I know what a pain in the [filtered word] it is to deal with the Govt. You say that they do the jobs American will not do; Look at the meat packing plant up north that was just raided by INS, guess what jobless americans where knocking down the doors to get the jobs left open by the illegal immigrants.

Chad
Chad 01/07/07 - 12:58 pm
Yankeesfan I never said it is

Yankeesfan I never said it is ok to do illegal things to take care of your family, Please reread the post, it was devilboy asking that question of me.

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 12:58 pm
YankeesFan , puddingstirer

YankeesFan , puddingstirer didn't say it was ok I did. I'm Devilboy!

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 01:03 pm
the only reason people were

the only reason people were beating down the door to meat packing plant was the company was forced to pay high wages because now they're under close scrutiny of the government. So now the meat will cost more because the company still has to make money. The people they hired are making way more than they probably should, and thats not right either.

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 01:08 pm
I'm sure people wouldn't work

I'm sure people wouldn't work for the wages offered before because they felt they were better than that. Everyone wants to be paid high wages , but if you have no skills then you take the going rate. Now the company needs workers fast and the only people they can get are the ones who think that their time is worth more than it is.

Chad
Chad 01/07/07 - 01:09 pm
I can not argue that point,

I can not argue that point, sure things may cost more but neither one of us know what they were being paid or what they are being paid now. The point I'm making is that they had jobs that an americans would do.

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 01:12 pm
All I'm saying is Americans

All I'm saying is Americans wouldn't do them until they paid what they thoght it should pay, not what it was worth.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 01/07/07 - 01:18 pm
N. Augusta and other areas

N. Augusta and other areas are this way because of rotten money, and it is a shame the way some Farmers and Businesses exploit the legal and illegal immigrants, especially the Mexican's to work for lower wages just to make a buck. Did they not see what happened when they brought over slaves just to make a buck. This is going to be that time all over again. Some people never learn! And it all about the money not the future.

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 01:23 pm
Exploitation is the american

Exploitation is the american way. always has always will.

crystalball
crystalball 01/07/07 - 01:33 pm
Why can the Augusta

Why can the Augusta Commissioners not move on the more important matters. We need unity in this city to attact business and residents. I feel the garbarge issue is just one more thing the commissioners can argue over. Use separate monthly billing that can be paid quarterly, semi annually or annually. If you don't pay then service can be cut off. Late fees can be applied. How hard is that? Commissioners you are messing with our house payments, tax filing, and mortage companies.
Please wake up. do something right, let it go and move on to making our city the Garden City it is suppose to be. This is 2007 not 1947.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 01/07/07 - 01:41 pm
I hate to agree with you

I hate to agree with you DEVILBOY, but I think you are right. Maybe things may change if the government raises the minimum wage to $7.00, then perhaps more American's will be willing to accept the nastier hard jobs if it pays more. Also, one last note, Mexicans need to stop running away from their Country, they need to take a stand and demand fair wages there, too!

WW1949
WW1949 01/07/07 - 02:00 pm
Do you see many poor people

Do you see many poor people paying taxes? I don't, but I do see them running to the emergency room for everything, I do see them useing the police services more than tax paying citizens and every other government give away service rather than working at any job that will give them a check. I for one say work and produce no matter what the job and then get the additional assistance you need. No work-No check. I'm not cold hearted but I am tired of seeing people with their hand out to the working people of this country-Legal or illegal.

devilboy
devilboy 01/07/07 - 02:06 pm
I agree with you MyOpinion2,

I agree with you MyOpinion2, but it will be a long time before things change "South of the Border". They have 2 classes ,the very rich and the very poor. There is hardly any middle class. They are trying to make changes, but the government is so corrupt there will have to be major changes there first. That leaves only one solution in the eyes of many and that is to leave and find somewhere with the oppurtunities to prosper and that happens to be here. There is a complete subculture in the United States that gives them the support structure and the feeling of home here. This is the only logical choice they see.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...