Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

SADDAM HUSSEIN was executed for bringing and causing death and destruction to Iraq and his people. If this was justice for Saddam Hussein and Iraq, then what is justice for George W. Bush and the U.S.? I believe that it is sinful to wish death upon anyone, but America needs justice now. I hope the new Democrats will impeach Bush and all of his warhawks and get the U.S. out of that lost-cause Iraq.

JAMES BROWN WAS a caring man with a good heart, but he did not stop the 1970 race riot in Augusta. He may have appealed, along with several others, to cease rioting, but the arrival of the National Guard in battle dress uniforms actually stopped the chaos. Gov. Lester Maddox sent the National Guard into the middle of the riot in armored vehicles with orders to shoot to kill if fired upon. The Guard and the Augusta Police Department cleared the streets and enforced a cooling-down period. James Brown did enough good without giving him credit for things he didn't do.

JAMES BROWN'S massive memorial - what a great opportunity for Augusta to come together regardless of race. Unfortunately, it appears that this has instead turned out to be a chance for people to maintain the division through songs about black power, reminders that Mr. Brown didn't feel as good as others because of race, and reminders of the race riots of the '70s. What a shame.

THIS IS A RANT for Buddy Dallas. He has proved that his reputation as a "bottom feeder" is true. His treatment of Tomi Rae and James Jr. was deplorable, tacky and surely raises questions about Mr. Dallas' interests.

I THINK IT WAS A SHAME that many of the people who were at Mr. Brown's funeral weren't even dressed in proper attire. It looked more like a concert than a service.

YOUR NEWSPAPER OVERDID the coverage of James Brown's death, especially Sunday's front page. Who wants to see a man in his casket, on Page One? This man was only an entertainer. Though talented, he did not deserve this coverage.

THIS IS A RANT to the entertainment and music industries. It was very disturbing to see the lack of celebrity support and turnout for James Brown's memorial service. There are countless entertainers who either performed with Mr. Brown or benefited from sampling his music (R&B and hip hop). There were only two major industry names in attendance. Big raves go to Michael Jackson and MC Hammer. Thanks for showing what appreciation, support, respect and class are all about.

WHILE I WAS SITTING at the kitchen table this morning eating egg, grits and linked deer sausages, my wife read me a rant from the newspaper. Someone was complaining about the pictures of kids with the deer they killed being in the newspaper, saying it was disgusting. The only thing I have to say about that is I wish my kids hunted so I could have more of these delicious deer sausages.

grimreapa69420
grimreapa69420 01/04/07 - 02:45 am
for the person who posted

for the person who posted about saddam being dead you might want to actually look at the video. they put some kind of cloth around his neck (in my opinion so that the rope didnt hurt him) and then right as the rope falls the camera goes everywhere and nothing is seen. saddam is now somewhere with osama laughting at us. i mean how STUPID is this country to send him back to where all of his support is to have him killed, do you really think they wouldnt have tried to free him.
BY the way..hunting is for cowards you hide and shoot an animal that has NO idea you there and has NO chance to defend itself, its pretty much the same thing the DC sniper was doing a few years ago

aj
aj 01/04/07 - 03:02 am
By the way, did anyone hear

By the way, did anyone hear if ex-president Clinton happen to attend any of Pres. Ford's memorials? I didn't.... J. Jackson and Sharpton likes to get involved in things like this because of the spotlight, however, the spotlight will be gone and off they will go to find it again. They are the ones who needs to get a real life.... I hope this problem with JB's wife (girlfriend) will not scar their son, JB's blood son. Did anyone involved think of him? Doesn't sound like it. This includes JB's older children. JB's blood family.... May Ford and Brown RIP.

aj
aj 01/04/07 - 03:02 am
Oh yeah, about the

Oh yeah, about the intersection problem on Davis at Scott Nixon. There is a huge, flashing sign saying that the right lane must turn right only. How can you miss this? By not paying attention. If they put poles up between the lanes, I'm sure you would pay attention then.

CS
CS 01/04/07 - 03:10 am
As a matter of fact, you can

As a matter of fact, you can clearly see Ex-Pres Clinton at the memorial service at the National Cathedral sitting behind Jimme Carter and near Former Pres Bush. How could you miss that?

sdf
sdf 01/04/07 - 05:34 am
Thanks aj for the

Thanks aj for the comment...now I know I am not the only one seeing things..lol...

scoobynews
scoobynews 01/04/07 - 06:18 am
I do hope that the reaper

I do hope that the reaper doesn't eat meat. If so then think about the poor cows, chickens, and pigs that did SEE it coming and are now on the plate of every meat eater. We were hunter gathers during the beginnings of civilization. If you wanted to eat there was not Walmart to go to. You had to pick your berries and yes - KILL - your meat. We do not have to hunt today but it is not like you can go buy deer meat (which I do not eat) at the local grocery store. Those that do like it should be able to go hunt the animal and eat what they kill. BTW, I do eat meat myself and don't think about it every time I eat it. No, I don't agree with animal cruelty but neither do I agree with a lot of other things. But if we sat around thinking about it all day then we would all be suicidal basket cases.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 01/04/07 - 06:41 am
My husband and 11 year old

My husband and 11 year old son hunt and I'm grateful they do. Without that deer meat, we would have gone hungry since an unexpected medical emergency and subsequent bill needed to be paid. I actually figured out that with the cost of ammunition, hunting license, and the processor fees, the deer meat was cheaper than gound beef per pound. I know some smart guy is going to ask, "What about the cost of the gun?" Well, they were given to my husband by his grandfather when he was a young hunter in upstate New York.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 01/04/07 - 06:54 am
Untill the legal system says

Untill the legal system says James B. Jr. is really his son i will hold my opinion. We have no idea what is really going on in his will...what he wanted? ect.. If it comes out he is not his son & she is not his wife? You all should feel stupid for opening your mouth before waiting for the facts! The public see's something on TV & ASSUMES it to be the gospel. The way his estate is being handled is the legal system being applied, the truth will come out...IN DUE PROCESS !!! ASSUME...WILL MAKE AN...[filtered word] /U/ ME

onelove
onelove 01/04/07 - 06:56 am
Yesterday was the first day

Yesterday was the first day back to school in Richmond County and my daughter was made to wait outside in the cold for a bus that never showed up!!!!!!! Bus 245 for Gracewood elem School never picked up children in the covington area yesterday. We waited outside from 7:30 am until 8:15 before I called the school office and was told all buses had dropped children off already. I then proceeded to call transpportation and was told by them that 245 was running late...Explained to them what the school said and they tryed to locate the bus and the driver and were unable to. Told me to continue to wait outside for the bus because it was on its way. Waited till 9am NO BUS!!!!!! And yeah before u say it,,,,,,, I could not take my daughter we have no car so we depend on that school bus. Its just a shame that these kids are getting left behind and no one cares!!!!!!!

alias1
alias1 01/04/07 - 07:39 am
i think that the execution of

i think that the execution of saddam in his own country was stupid. i also think that its our turn george w bush. we have no reason to be in iraq any more, osama is long gone, and we didn't go over there to find him anyway, we went so george w can say look daddy i got saddam!!!

JXK
JXK 01/04/07 - 07:44 am
Wow! Who is the idiot that

Wow! Who is the idiot that made the absurd and ridiculous comparison of Saddam Hussein and George Bush? You must be a partisan hack and Kool-Aid drinker from the loony left. Get the facts and get a clue. GWB is not responsible for the genocide and murders of over 200,000 of his own people. Not to mention the countless rapes and tortures of even more by his regime. Is the war going bad? Yes! But what war in the history of this nation was not a hard and difficult struggle. Wars are a terrible, ugly but necessary when other nations are threatened by radical, extremists that plan to rule the world. Take a good look at history, it always repeats itself. Hitler, Stalin, Osama, The nut cases in Iran and North Korea just to name a few. But I guess you idiot liberal doves on the left won't realize the threat until we as a nation get hit again. Then, you can blame that on the current administration as well. Let's just see what the new so-called leadership in Washington will no over the next 2 years. I think it's a blessing in disguise that America will get a very good look at what not to put in the White House in 08. Praise God!

JXK
JXK 01/04/07 - 07:51 am
Saddam is dead and that's a

Saddam is dead and that's a good thing, however it was done, it was a good thing!

The more radical islamic extremists that we take out over there, and around the world, the less we have to worry about coming here to blow up more of our building and possibly our cities with dirty bombs. Iraq just happens to be the central front of this war, but it's a GLOBAL war on terror that will and should last for a long time. The threat is real and present! Some of you need to wake up, get educated and PRAY!

getalife
getalife 01/04/07 - 08:32 am
To the people complaining

To the people complaining about people killing deer. Do you not eat chicken, cows and hogs, they are killed and they don't know it is coming. Hunting deer helps to control the size of the deer herds. If there was no hunting, then deer would take over the state and we would be over-run with deer. Sportsmen, whether hunters or fishermen pay into our state millions of dollars in license fees and helps the economy by buying sporting goods. Please get a life and stop looking at the deer pictures.

jnorris1
jnorris1 01/04/07 - 08:57 am
I for one appreciate hunters.

I for one appreciate hunters. It isn't all about sneaking up on things just to kill them. It's about wildlife population control. If the deer weren't hunted, there would be even more out in the road possibly damaging more vehicles. We already know that's a huge problem. So get a life and get over the fact that people hunt. Oh...and try some deer meat, you might like it! ;)

Chad
Chad 01/04/07 - 08:58 am
JXK Well said Took the words

JXK Well said Took the words right out of my mouth.

charles yonce
charles yonce 01/04/07 - 09:47 am
first of all i was at the

first of all i was at the brown memorial from 0700-5pm i did not wear funeral attire but was dressed nicely.sitting for 8 hrs in those pathetic seats was all i could endure.don't bash us for what we wore,we got out of our comfortable beds and stood in the rain and sat for 8 hrs to show our respect.to the idiot complaining about not seeing clinton at fords memorial, if you have cable tv you would have seen him at the rotunda, and at the cathedral with the other presidents.why were neither bush's at the gravesite?

thohen
thohen 01/04/07 - 09:52 am
We made Iraq the central

We made Iraq the central front for the war on terrorism. The real front was Afganistan, where Osama was back in 2001. Let's not try to justify what the President did, it's already done. Lets just move on and try and win the war, which is gonna be really hard. Now I know someone is going to comment about what liberals think, but I am not liberal. I have common sense and know that W and Cheney had agendas when they saw the opportunity come up. All the killing that is going on in Africa, and America hasn't tried to right that wrong, but there is no oil to chase. Go figure!!!

peonynut
peonynut 01/04/07 - 09:57 am
Tomi Rae or whatever her name

Tomi Rae or whatever her name is should have taken that money she paid the plastic surgeon and paid an acting instructor instead.
As for the death of Saddam, I agree, you never actually saw him die, never saw his body after the photo on the floor and why the cloth around the neck, do dead people worry about rope burns?

JXK
JXK 01/04/07 - 10:16 am
What about Africa? That's a

What about Africa? That's a question you need to ask the great United Nations and Kofe Annan. They have done nothing! Conversely, every country and every governing body in the world tried to get the Iraq regime to comply (not the Bush admin) to the UN and world sanctions. They chose to thumb there noses the world. Point 2, the central front in 2001 was Afghanistan, but as anyone with 1/2 a brain and just a tad bit of military knowledge knows that war fronts change as the war progresses. Now the front is Iraq, next it might be Iran or Syria. I agree that we as a NATION not an administration have oil interests in the region. But don't place the blame solely on the government. We need to stop our dependence on Arab oil and if we choose not to advance towards alternate fuels then maybe you liberal dems should jump on board and let’s open up the vast reserves in ANWAR. Oh but I forgot, you don't want to disturb the migration patterns of the porcupine caribou! Please don't tell me your not liberal...if you can't recognize the clues...then you are a bigger political hack than I thought. Atleast be man or woman enough to admit your real affiliation and WAKE -UP!

Bruital
Bruital 01/04/07 - 10:23 am
I would think that the lawyer

I would think that the lawyer would not lock the "widow" out without cause, he is a lawyer, There must be some legal grounds for this. I'm glad that the people of Augusta turned out for the service like they did, Cheers to you All. On another note the RCBE does not know the exact date of my childs graudation? Who should i ask, we have relatives coming into town who need to make plans, don't believe me call and ask for yourself, pick a school any school.

b
b 01/04/07 - 10:27 am
Oh. I wish everyone who just

Oh. I wish everyone who just hush about George Bush . Everyone blames him for everything , when it's the demorcrats who have us in a mess. We pitched a fit at George Bush because of the gas prices.WEll, Democrats are the Majority now and well i don't see any gas prices going down . I guess it's ok though because the democrats are ok with it now. We blame Bush for all of the killings in Iraq but do you honeslty just sit there and think about things. We had more people die in the twin towers then we did over there. Do you thank or praise the troops who are over there defending our freedom? NO you don't you critize and you belittle when it's them over there fighting and not you . Get real people why can't some realize that things aren't always got to be given to you .

alias1
alias1 01/04/07 - 10:42 am
are you crazy "b"?? how mant

are you crazy "b"?? how mant people died on 9-11? there has been thousands of troops get killed in iraq. we need to get out of there, iraqis have been killing themselves for years. we show up for a war on "terror" and guess what, our troops are getting killed, i dont get it. and yes i do say thanks to our troops when i see them,

imdstuf
imdstuf 01/04/07 - 10:53 am
Democrats just came into

Democrats just came into office today. So of course they have had no time to look into gas pricces. They may or may not work to get them down. We will have to wait and see. As for Bush and Cheney, look at the ties they and their relatives have to companies getting big contracts for weapons, reconstruction, etc due to that war and tell yourself this war was for the good of our nation.

JXK
JXK 01/04/07 - 10:56 am
Hey 12300 try doing a little

Hey 12300 try doing a little reseach before you show your ignorance. 2976 Died as a result of the terror attacks of 911. And if people like you get in power more innocent civilian americans will die as a result. It was the former admistration that depleted not only our military but our intelligence agencies as well, resulting in our inablilty to see the apparent threat. The Clinton administration sat back and did NOTHING to stop the ever growing threat. US intrests were bombed all over the world to include the 1st world trade center attack with no tangible response b/c he was spending to much time in other deplorable acts in the oval office. Don't show your ignorance of the fact until you do some research. Here's some good advice for you, stop watching CNN and network news!

Bruital
Bruital 01/04/07 - 10:59 am
What is wrong with Oprah

What is wrong with Oprah building a school that is mostly black?White forks don't want to think that one day we will be equal or surpass them in wealth. As long as they get their way everything is fine. Get over it.

JXK
JXK 01/04/07 - 11:05 am
HEY IMDSTIF! Look at thegiant

HEY IMDSTIF! Look at thegiant hole in Manhattan and ask yourself if this war on TERROR is needed for the existence of us as a nation? Man, ya'll need to get a clue! This is a global war and is not only about boots on the ground in Iraq. Some may be afraid to call it what it is but it is truely and war of religions. Muslim extremists want to exterminate anyone (you included) that is not muslim. WAKE UP OH SLEEPING CLUELESS PEOPLE!

JustMe
JustMe 01/04/07 - 11:07 am
The video of Saddam was made

The video of Saddam was made by a cell phone. It was not the official video. Next I am white and not rich...and yes many blacks have surpassed me. So what....I did it without getting anything from anyone. The dope dealers make the BIG BUCKS

alias1
alias1 01/04/07 - 11:23 am
ok jxk why cant we turn the

ok jxk why cant we turn the place ( iraq ) into a parking lot then??? get our guys out of there, bomb the place turn it into a parking lot kill them all and there will be no more terror. solution. problem solved. oh thats not the right way to do that, send thousands of troops to iraq, some to never come home and see their families again, they get sent home in a box. but gwb sees his family all the time, he should have trouble sleeping at night. as far as deplorable acts in the oval office, everyone does it, he just got caught.

alias1
alias1 01/04/07 - 11:25 am
jxk for president!!!

jxk for president!!!

JXK
JXK 01/04/07 - 11:33 am
12300! I'm not even going to

12300! I'm not even going to dignify you ignorance with a response. You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you in your fat lazy #@&!

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.