Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

IT HAS BEEN SAID that a society is judged by how it treats the very young and the old. A harsh judgment goes, therefore, to the local high school principal who berates and harasses his older faculty, trying to force early retirement. History would never have produced Socrates, Pliny the Elder nor Einstein with this way of thinking. The principal needs to turn to a wise old sage (if he has any left) to learn also that age discrimination is against the law.

THIS IS A RANT to the property owners where the Peach Orchard post office is. Do south Augustans a big favor, Mr. Gorbachev; tear down that wall.

TO THE STATE CHAPLAIN and anyone else seeking medical help - a rave for Project Access in Augusta. Project Access is a health care assistance program for residents of Richmond County and, starting Jan. 1, for Columbia County. The program is made possible by volunteer physicians, clinics and hospitals who are dedicated to helping citizens of our community. You must meet residency and income requirements to qualify. To find out more information, call Project Access at (706) 733-5177.

THIS IS A RANT to the guy who backed into my car at the Evans post office and did not even care that he had damaged it. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

THIS IS A RANT for the Richmond County Sheriff's Office. I think the fees for the list wreckers services should be more than they are. I get tired of getting out of the bed at 3 a.m. to tow some dumb DUI person.

I THINK THE PEOPLE should protest the American Civil Liberties Union. It is trying to ruin our country and our beliefs. The people need to wake up before it is too late for this country.

I JUST WANTED to send out a huge rave for the person who made my son's Christmas possible by donating to the Columbia County Foundation for Children. You deserve way more than a thank you card, so this is my way of thanking you, whoever you are. Your generosity is so greatly appreciated. God bless you and Merry Christmas!

EVERY YEAR, Dr. Kim Lombardy and his wife, Karen, collect toys for charity. Instead of money, patients bring in a toy/toys for their treatment. Result: win/win situation all around. The patient receives an adjustment, and otherwise forgotten children receive a Merry Christmas!

THE COST OF AN ELECTION is far less than what Marion Williams has cost this region in lost opportunities.

MARION FOR ANOTHER year to save $137,000? That will be the best money Augusta has ever spent.

IF I PAY FOR THE ELECTION, can we get rid of Marion a year early?

THIS IS A RANT to Augusta commissioners. I read where it would be cost-effective to extend your term for one more year. I guess you are running scared and think you may not get re-elected. We do not want your term extended.

THIS IS A RANT to the voters of Augusta and the criteria set for the county seats. It saddens me when someone can win an election and only have the credentials of a substitute teacher. Augusta can do better if it elects educated people. Not to say they are any smarter, but they were disciplined enough to work at getting their degrees and they will be disciplined at properly and ethically working in elected positions.

RANT TO THE GREENBRIER High School teacher and counselor. Confidentiality is not talking about a student and mother in the hallway where the child's brother overheard you discussing his family. Remember, teachers and counselors, you just signed a confidentiality agreement this month. You should be written up for this lack of confidentiality.

JXK
JXK 12/21/06 - 08:42 am
Richmond County residents

Richmond County residents please stop complaining about the Commissioners...you voted them into office for how many terms now? You should be kicking yourself! I do realize that the south is a little slow but come on, it took ya'll this long to figure out there is a problem?

concernednative
concernednative 12/21/06 - 09:28 am
In everyones defense JXK it

In everyones defense JXK it seems to be getting worse. Even more so since for the first time since consolidation Augusta has a compotent mayor and probably 7 compotent commissioners. This has fueled the imcompotents(Williams) since they can't outshine the bright people with good ideas and management practices to be even more outrageous.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 12/21/06 - 10:40 am
I hate to say it, but I think

I hate to say it, but I think that Marion will spend every dollar he has to stay in office, but I think the people have spoken,

"I WOULD RATHER STICK needles in my eyes than endure another year of Marion Williams.

IF I PAY FOR THE ELECTION, can we get rid of Marion a year early?"

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 12/21/06 - 10:40 am
I don't even live close to

I don't even live close to Richmond County, nor do I know this so called person , Marion williams. If 10% of what I read about this jerk has any validity at all, why doesn't someone take him out of here or call the mofia??? They for sure will take care of the issue, especially if $$$$$ is involved. I'm glad I live 5 hrs. away.

gagirl40
gagirl40 12/21/06 - 12:00 pm
To the person wanting to

To the person wanting to protest the ACLU because "It is trying to ruin our country and our beliefs." Do you even know what the ACLU is? It's an organization whose sole purpose is to protect your civil rights. They may protect people you disagree with, but that's the good thing about having rights. You can't keep mine from me because you disagree with them. Just think what it would be like if nobody ever fought to protect your civil rights. Now THAT would ruin our country. A country founded on freedoms and basic human rights. If you don't like the way it is here in America you could always move to a country with no freedoms or rights for you to worry about being protected. Maybe Darfur in Sudan...you know they don't have the ACLU. Perhaps that would be a better fit for you.

jdcooper
jdcooper 12/21/06 - 12:17 pm
Here's an idea- this time

Here's an idea- this time leave the elections as they should be- anyone elected would have their new term adjusted to align with national elections from then on. Extending slick Willy's term another year would probably wind up costing the city more than the $137,000 in lawyers fees! Also, I applaud the GBI in finally getting involved in his little family land purchase!!

toenail
toenail 12/21/06 - 12:23 pm
I travel all over the country

I travel all over the country and see how the economy is
booming. The stock market is at an all time high.
Then come back to Augusta and ride down Hwy 25, or Hwy 1,
or Hwy 78 and see that it is starting to look like a ghost town.
I've wondered for the last few years why this is so. I finally
figured it out and narrowed it down to 3 reasons.
1. You can't get a loaf of fresh Colonial Sandwich bread in
Augusta! The bread we get now since the Colonial bakery
left town is stale. We used to be able to get day old bread
that was much fresher than what they are selling now. It must
sit in the distribution centers for at least a week before being
put on the store shelfs.
2. You can't get Brach's Jelly Beans. They can't be found in
Augusta. You can get some off-brands made in China at
your local wal-mark, but they ain't got NO Brach's Jelly beans.
3. You can't find Oscar Meyer sausage dogs in Augusta, No
no local stores have them. The stores have plenty of off-brands
that are low fat, made with vegtables and who knows what else,
but there aren't any Oscar Meyer sausage dogs to be had.
Now if Augusta wants to grow ,get bread, Jelly beans, and sausage dogs.

wheeza
wheeza 12/21/06 - 12:31 pm
Merry Christmas, Thank you

Merry Christmas, Thank you Jesus for what you have done for all of man kind. Please forgive the idiots for trying to take you out of Christmas by replacing you with the "Happy Holiday" slogan

elizaw
elizaw 12/21/06 - 12:40 pm
"dito"

"dito"

owensjef
owensjef 12/21/06 - 01:15 pm
The city is so broke but the

The city is so broke but the city will continue to overpay Steve Shepard, and no readers who complaine every time they think a black person is going to make a dime, wow what selective outage , which has occured for 400 years and an additional 40 in Augusta. The readers complaine about Marion Williams, oh he is so bad and all the white commissonors are so good, what Bull, This is the most Racist and cowardly group I have ever seen and I have been all over the world. Augusta Ga takes the cake, but this is the most docile group of blacks that put up with this mess even though you have a majority, so shame on you too.

JXK
JXK 12/21/06 - 02:35 pm
THE ACLU (Skrew) is nothing

THE ACLU (Skrew) is nothing more than a left wing liberal communist oriented organization designed for nothing more than bringing down this country. For those that think otherwise are ignorant liberal kool-aid loons that don't even know the history of an organization they support. For those that are interested in the truth here's just one of many truthful sites. http://www.reclaimamerica.org/Pages/ACLU/decades.html

CynthiaC
CynthiaC 12/21/06 - 03:51 pm
I think it's going to take

I think it's going to take more than white bread, jelly beans, and weenies to fix Augusta. You got weenies in office there and you see the result of that.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 12/21/06 - 04:55 pm
A small but sure fix to some

A small but sure fix to some of Augusta's problems would be for employees to take ownership in the stores they work. Seems like very few care what condition the stores are in. A few actualy stink, they are soo dirty. The restrooms are deplorable. Service stinks. Augusta is at the bottom of the list when it comes to pride in ones store. Start posting those restaurant ratings in your store windows. BE PROUD AUGUSTA!

owensjef
owensjef 12/21/06 - 07:51 pm
left wing right wing, what

left wing right wing, what ever happened to right and fair, thats not a matter of liberal or conservative, talk radio has ruined this country. People bas ther opionons on what Rush or Laura or Air America puts out i get so tired of people using the term Liberal as evil

mrdale
mrdale 12/21/06 - 08:50 pm
a big rave for the man that

a big rave for the man that stopped at the gas station in n.a. thursday to help my daughter and me when we locked our keys in the car. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours .thank you!

Golfer
Golfer 12/21/06 - 09:17 pm
JXK, do you know more words

JXK, do you know more words than ignorant and liberal. You are the ignorant one. At least liberals are more tolerant of people different than they are.

liloleme
liloleme 12/22/06 - 08:04 am
Thankyou Wheeza for showing

Thankyou Wheeza for showing people just how SOME "Christians" today act. Pray to Jesus out of one side of their mouth and call people names out of the other. Shame.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms