Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT FOR Marion Williams and Betty Beard, who have once more resorted to the schoolyard bully tactic of name-calling. Shame on you two.

WHEN THE WHITE Christmas lights came out a few years ago they were really pretty, but please, enough is enough. Can you please replace your white lights with some colored lights; it is really boring to see white lights on 90 percent of the houses that are decorated.

THE WEATHER CHANNEL regularly reports "Bush Field: No Delays". What they don't tell you is "No Flights."

OK, AUGUSTA, ISN'T the most disappointing thing about the trip that Holland, Beard and Williams took to Reno that they came back? I'd give them the $6,000 just to go away and stay!

I'M DISGUSTED. I just read about the city's plans to drop improvements on the skate park. My son and his friends were very excited about getting a better skate park. The selfish commissioners could have used the money they spent on that Reno trip to finance the skate park, but they don't care about the people or our kids. They're selfish people and I can't wait until election time.

ISN'T AUGUSTA ALREADY polluted with fumes from chemical factories and many others right here in Richmond County? Must we also be polluted from a race track? You know and I know that the fumes are not going to drift straight up and they're not going to just lay flat on the track. They're going to drift all over Richmond County. That, with the noise factor, is going to keep people from even building anywhere out there around that place.

THIS IS IN RESPONSE to the person who stated that only fat people ride the electric carts in these supermarkets and so forth. Well, that's a bunch of hooey. I've seen skinny people in there. As far as the fat people, you don't know their health conditions. I ride them and I'm overweight. ... I can hardly walk and I'm grateful for the electric carts in the supermarket.

THIS IS A RANT FOR Andy Cheek and Marion Williams. Why do you say you don't understand? We don't need or want a race track. If you like to race, go to South Carolina.

TO HASAN, WHO THINKS that he's going to represent the education in Augusta, Ga., don't you get it, Hasan? The people don't want you as part of the education system in Richmond County. You were voted out.

THIS IS A RANT AGAINST the billboard companies. Why have we got to lose our beautiful trees on the sides of Bobby Jones Expressway and I-20 westbound so that people can see those ugly billboards?

I'VE GOT A COMMENT on the person that made a suggestion about the Regency Mall being a jail. I think what needs to be done to Regency Mall is make it an outlet store. That way Augusta will make a lot of money instead of money leaving, going to Savannah.

THIS IS A RANT FOR the state-employed chaplain who's benefits have been cut back asking for an agency, a.k.a. we the people, to pay for his health insurance. Maybe this is a sign, chaplain, a sign that says get your hand out of my pocket. Get off your rear and go find another job.

MY NEXT-DOOR neighbor had his Christmas ornaments stripped off his outside bush, and then a bunch of animals threw a brick on my front porch. Thankfully I have no decorations outside.

THIS RANT IS FOR the Canal Authority. I've waited 16 years for a boat ramp to be built leading to the Savannah River near the head gates. They have finally built some very steep steps. Let's hope no one gets hurt falling down trying to carry a canoe. How about providing a hoist or something?

YES, I AM A TWIN. Yes, I go out shopping with my sister some days, as do many other people with a sister. I am also an adult. Why do people insist on stopping and asking us if we are twins when we are out together? Why does it matter? Why do you have to know? Will it ruin your day if you don't know the answer? I don't ask you if you are stupid, don't ask me if I am a twin. It's rude, it's not cute and it's really none of your business.

I'M RAVING ABOUT THOSE blow-up decorations. It is amazing to me how quickly we forget we were young once, too. My grandchildren's eyes light up when they pass a decorated home with the blow-up ornaments or lights. They remind me of the Macy's Day Parade, only on a smaller version.

MY RANT IS FOR NOT renewing Richard Rogers' contract. I guess he's not a dirty lowlife enough to have his contract renewed. He's a good guy. You need to think about it.

THIS IS A RANT FOR A.K. Hasan. We have voted you out. We do not want you part of the Richmond County Board of Education. Please go and not fish for another job at the taxpayers' expense.

THIS IS FOR THE state chaplain whose hours have been cut and he has no health insurance. Tell him he could try Project Access at (706) 733-5177. I hope it helps. At least a little.

THIS IS A RANT about the dirty officers that are working down here in Richmond County. Keep going when you keep getting rid of all the dirty ones.

REMEMBER ONE RANTER suggested leg cramps for an enemy. There is help for leg cramps. If you're on your back, simply turn over onto your stomach. Different muscles are used. The blood flows. The pain is gone. And thank the Lord for whoever gave this idea.

I WOULD LIKE TO RAVE about the ditch out in Hyde Park. Why won't the city clean them up? They clean the rest of Hyde Park.

TO THE GENTLEMAN THAT killed Mr. LaBoard, you not only took a mentor for the Augusta Youth Center, you took a friend. You took a brother. But most of all you took an angel.

HAS ANYONE IN AUGUSTA ever thought of dimming their headlights at night to oncoming traffic?

I WAS BLESSED BY an angel in a grocery store in the soup aisle. I started speaking with a lady and we were talking about Christmas and the reason for the season being Jesus Christ and the Lord moved upon her and she came up and gave me, a total stranger, $50 to help me through a needy time. God bless her. She was truly my Christmas angel. Thank you, Miss Cathy.

I HAVE A RANT OR MAYBE a rave for the assistant principal at Murphey Middle School. Why can he wear a belt that's three times the size of any of the children's and yet they take the children's belts from them? What is wrong about this situation? Somebody needs to look into it, if we had a board of education that was willing to do it.

THIS IS A RANT for Marion Williams and Andy Cheek. I agree with the rant in the paper about both of them should be gone. Marion Williams is an uneducated fool. Andy Cheek is a coward. A blowhard. Andy Cheek can talk for 40 minutes and never say a word. He talks in circles and speaks with circle tongue.

DEAR SANTA: Please bring Marion Williams a brain. And Andy Cheek needs one, too. We definitely do not need all the proposals that they have going for the city. All they're doing is dragging us down while Evans is building up and taking all the business and tax dollars away from us.

THIS IS A RANT against Cynthia McKinney who, in her last days, continues to distract the nation by trying to impeach our president. She could have done great things while in Congress but chose a path of antagonism and hatred. What a waste of a position; shame on you!

I HAVE A BETTER IDEA. We don't need to choose another day to worship Christ. We can celebrate his birthday on Dec. 25 in the manner we each wish to and we can (and should) worship him every day!

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/18/06 - 01:05 am
To the reader complaining

To the reader complaining about white Christmas lights! Does it really matter what YOU want? If it bothers you that much, go knock on every door and tell them you want them to put up colored lights next year. Or a better idea is, don't look at them and let the children, including my 2yr old, enjoy them. It's Christmas! Deal with it! Put colored lights on your house and stop complaining! And thank you to everyone who puts out blow up characters in your yards! My son loves them and I love seeing him so happy when we drive around!

Bella
Bella 12/18/06 - 01:41 am
Can't we all just get along?

Can't we all just get along?

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/18/06 - 01:53 am
Getting along would just be

Getting along would just be too easy! That would be great, but some people just don't understand how to!

thebisback
thebisback 12/18/06 - 06:41 am
I think everyone needs a life

I think everyone needs a life and learn to get past the smaller things and worry about the bigger issues and things. To the overweight person, you wouldn't have to use the electric cart if you were less heavy. Start losing weight. I hear the Family Y has a special on the joiner's fee.

Pinchgut
Pinchgut 12/18/06 - 06:56 am
RAVE Marion Williams and Andy

RAVE Marion Williams and Andy Cheek were seperated at birth and then dropped on their heads.

footstepstoglory
footstepstoglory 12/18/06 - 07:26 am
If the people really want

If the people really want Williams and Cheek out of office, then we as a people should sign a petition to our dear Mayor in office and "Impeach" the both of them. That would solve a lot of problems.
The people who come together can accomplish more if we as a people stick to what is RIGHT!

onelove
onelove 12/18/06 - 08:16 am
To the person who had a brick

To the person who had a brick thrown at ur house do u live in Covington Pl? HAHAHA On Thanksgiving night my mail box and post was stolen from my yard after I would not open my door to a stranger to use the phone @ 2:45 am. Police found it clear across the area down at the next intersection. 2 days later some one batted my mail box. And to that person or persons who did that.....If u like my mail box so much please come back and get it after the mail man comes...and don't try to bring it back after u see my bills u go on and pay them to since u wanted my mail box so bad@!!!!!!!!

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/18/06 - 08:45 am
Regarding the comment that

Regarding the comment that thebisback made about fat people riding the carts, that was very rude of you! like the person stated before, you don't know their health conditions. Some people are skinny when the first get diagnosed with whatever they have, but when they can't walk anymore, it means they can't do all the exercises either. So stop being so mean to people when you don't know their story. That could be you someday, so be nice!

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 09:10 am
TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY!

TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY! FA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA! GOOD MORNING FELLOW READERS AND COMMENTATORS! Here's a message for all this Christmas Season. The season is not about you it's about LOVE and the love of the Father and His Gift of Christ to each and everyone of us. Christ is the reason for the season, not lights inflatables, trees, gifts or anything else for that matter. Jesus loves you and has a plan for your life. Merry Christmas one and all, lets share a little love while we still have an opportunity.

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/18/06 - 09:21 am
Not everyone makes Christmas

Not everyone makes Christmas revolve around church and Christ! Can't we just enjoy Christmas? Not everyone who lives here attends church like others. Christmas is about lights and decorations and gifts! Being with family and friends and sharing memories!

Rosalind2051
Rosalind2051 12/18/06 - 09:26 am
I'd like to send a rave to

I'd like to send a rave to Ladell Fortune at Butler High School who gives so much of himself to his students. Thank you for such a fine concert at Spirit Creek Thursday night.

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 09:38 am
IF you don't want to 'make

IF you don't want to 'make Christmas revolve around Christ" then don't call it Christmas in your house. Call it a get together with family and friends to share memories and look at lights. You CANNOT have CHIRSTmas without CHRIST! Get a history lesson! That's why the ACLU and other liberal communist oraganizations are trying to remove the phrase Christmas from the season. Get a clue gman!

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 09:41 am
You can celebrate Christmas

You can celebrate Christmas however you want. You will never be able to take Christ out of the season. Afterall, it is a celebration and recognition of His birth. Although it is not the actual time of His birth it is when we celebrate.

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/18/06 - 09:48 am
Ok for one, you don't have to

Ok for one, you don't have to be so rude about it. All I'm saying is not everyone goes to church here and makes such a big deal over it. You can go to church, that's fine. I don't! I will call it Christmas because that's what it's called. I know Christ is in the word Christmas, but that does not mean I have to go around ranting about it! Everyone knows what happened and why we celebrate. It's what you believe in and what makes you happy, so feel free, but what makes others happy is not ranting about it and just enjoying it.

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 10:08 am
I wasn't being rude! Just

I wasn't being rude! Just telling it like it is! You now know the truth and the truth I hope will set you free. And for the record, Christmas has nothing to do with Church; it has to do with acknowledging Christ as the Risen Savior. Too many go to Church, play Church, show up on Christmas and live like hell the rest of the year. But to each his own I guess! Merry Christmas ya'll.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 12/18/06 - 10:10 am
A very Merry Christmas to all

A very Merry Christmas to all my fellow ranters out there !!!

We need people to speak up and voice opinions and people to VOTE for their convictions......

Keep on Ranting and remember
(Christ is the reason for the season)

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/18/06 - 10:12 am
I don't go to church on

I don't go to church on Christmas just because it's Christmas. The people down here just seem to rant and rave all the time about how you should go to church and this and that. It just gets so annoying sometimes. I'm an adult, and if i decide to go to church, it's because I want to. Everyone just needs to be nice and enjoy the holidays! Merry Christmas Everyone! :)

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 10:22 am
If you don't like it "down

If you don't like it "down here" in the bible belt of the south, where Church and Christianity is a way of life, then may I suggest either moving back to where ever you originated from or.....come on to Church sometime. There are plenty to choose from here in Augusta. I'm certain you can find one that is perfect for you. God really does have a plan for you gman! I hope and pray that the season will open up your heart to the true reason. Be blessed!

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/18/06 - 10:27 am
I don't have a choice to be

I don't have a choice to be here. My husband is in the military. Believe me, if i could leave i would. I'm perfectly fine not going to church. I grew up going, and I know what it is about. I don't feel that me going to church is going to help me in life. That's just how I feel. I know people will disagree, but that is their opinion! I know what Christmas is about, I don't need it to "open up my heart". I'm fine with where I am in life, thanks though!

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 10:56 am
Okee Dokee!

Okee Dokee!

RebelTA
RebelTA 12/18/06 - 11:02 am
Going to church at Christmas

Going to church at Christmas or every Sunday doesn't make you a christian or anything else. Christmas revolves around Christ. If you research the symbolism behind every single Christmas decoration from the tree topper to the lights you will find that you are celebrating Christ's birth. I was raised southern baptist (and yes folks there is a difference) and though I don't attend as an adult I decorate for Christmas, I donate both time and money to charity during this season(though I should all year) and isn' t that part of the reason for the season? The lights, both colored and white are great and I am grateful for every single person who puts forth the time, money and energy to decorate. Merry CHRISTmas to each and everyone and I hope that you each find some peace in your life.

charles yonce
charles yonce 12/18/06 - 11:17 am
i disagree with the person

i disagree with the person about the white christmas lights.i agree they are getting old,but when will the retailers sale something new?i worked part time at walmart for years,they're still selling the same ones 9 years later.

CynthiaC
CynthiaC 12/18/06 - 11:18 am
To JXK: Wouldn't the holiday

To JXK: Wouldn't the holiday acknowledging Jesus as the "Risen Savior" be Easter, not Christmas? Just asking.

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 11:25 am
Re CynthiaC: Oooops, yes you

Re CynthiaC: Oooops, yes you are correct. My mistake! And I was doing so well too. He has however risen and He is not the lil baby in the manger and longer! As cute as it is, He will return as King of Kings and Lord of Lords! Alleluia!

justanotherjake
justanotherjake 12/18/06 - 11:29 am
gmansmomy, give it up. I

gmansmomy, give it up. I have found it pointless to argue religious zealots. Not all of us in the south appreciate the bible belt mentality. jxk maybe you should remember that this is America and that forcing your ideas or religious beliefs on others is antithesis to the very ideas this country was founded on. Yes we might be one nation under god, but it doesn't say which god.

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 11:32 am
KEEP THE WHITE LIGHTS! KEEP

KEEP THE WHITE LIGHTS! KEEP EM KEEP EM KEEP EM! There is nothing more distasteful than to have the depressing multi-colored and oh, not to forget those UGLY blue lights. White lights are eternally classic and stylish. But hey, if you like all those ridiculous colors and blow up thingys...good for you! For me and my house? It's all white! lol

JXK
JXK 12/18/06 - 11:42 am
RE: thatsnotmine! your

RE: thatsnotmine! your comments are so out there that I can only respond to your absurd statement by saying the following. Get a good history lesson. This nation was founded on JUDEO-CHRISTIAN values, morals and laws. It is liberal lunatics like yourself, the Democratic party and the ACLU who are trying to deceive the nation. But, thank God you and the like are in the minority in the land. We, the Church, not "religious zealots" will not stand back and let you liberal loonies attempt to re-write our true history! Oh, and for your ill advised information, there is but one God that this nation was founded on...JEHOVAH! Pick up a book and get a clue!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 12/18/06 - 11:46 am
I feel that the politics in

I feel that the politics in Augusta is awful. This city is built on old money. You would think that the people in office would invest the cities money in events that would actually bring NATIONAL (not local) tourist and vistors to our city. I've lived in so many other cities that understood where to put money to make money. The problem is we don't have innovative and creative thinking people in office. We'll never be able to prosper with an government like this

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/18/06 - 11:51 am
Yes I love the white lights.

Yes I love the white lights. That's what I have on my house too! I don't mind the colored, but I prefer white! It shouldn't matter though, just enjoy the ones you see and have a great christmas!

justanotherjake
justanotherjake 12/18/06 - 11:57 am
Thats ok jxk were all going

Thats ok jxk were all going to he!! anyway. Accoding to you and those like you those that don't believe in Jesuse Christ are going. According to Muslims if you don't belive in Allah youre going. And pretty much every other religion in the world states if you don't believe as we do you are going, so see you there. And as far as being a liberal, I'm not. And your whole post just proved the point of you being a religious zealot.

Board rejects fine arts charter school

Organizers behind a proposed fine arts charter school in Columbia County said they are optimistic state officials will approve their plan to open a school in 2015 - a plan that was unanimously ...