Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

IT'S FUNNY HOW Gov. Sonny Perdue didn't mention the possibility of cutting benefits for retired state employees before the election. I'm sure Perdue will have adequate free health care when he retires, courtesy of the citizens of Georgia.

A RANT TO CHANNEL 12 for not renewing Richard Rogers' contract. We all enjoy watching him, and I hope you reconsider.

I'M AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN, married, working mother of five. I get followed around Augusta Mall.

TO THE GUY WHO MAKES more than $70,000 and doesn't want his tax return money back, he can send it to my house. I make over $100,000, but I work and earn it.

I HAVE A BIG RAVE for Dr. B. Griffith in Eisenhower Medical Center. I want to say thank you to his team and staff. And a big thank you to the nurses in 9 West. Happy holidays with lots of peace and lots of love.

I'M CALLING ABOUT Richard Rogers. I'd also like to say that I like to see him and Laurie Ott with the news. Sorry that y'all are letting him go.

ANDY CHEEK OUGHT to be ashamed of himself, trading his vote on that drag strip deal with Marion Williams just so he can become mayor pro tem. I think he's seen his last elected office in Augusta.

YOU CAN THANK the voters for Sonny Perdue's actions. You get what you vote for.

THIS IS A RANT for you Southern belles. Don't any of you girls down here in the South believe in marriage? Everything I read in the paper is: "Need help, single mom." Why don't you girls get married?

BAH HUMBUG to the person ranting about inflatable Christmas decor. Children don't think they're tacky. Raves to the people who go through the hard work of decorating their whole yard so my children can ride around and look at your beautiful lights.

PEOPLE CAN STAND outside the store and scratch off lottery tickets all day long, but I cannot handicap a horse race on the Internet. Go figure.

I WILL BE TACKY with my Christmas blow-up ornaments in the yard because the kids enjoy them. That makes me happy.

YOU CAN COMPLAIN about the drag strip, but leave NASCAR out of it.

I HAVE A RANT. I noticed where they're only going to renew Richard Rogers' contract for two more months. I know Richard personally. He's a great guy; he's done a tremendous job for the community.

THIS IS A RANT directed towards Laurie Ott and Richard Rogers of WRDW news. The comment that was made during the Martinez-Evans Christmas parade was a total slap in the face for the residents of Harlem. Laurie and Richard knew all the mascots to every other Columbia County high school except Harlem. For the record: Yes, we are the Bulldogs.

I ATTENDED THE Christmas concert presented by the Fine Arts Department at Cross Creek High School, and I am still in awe! The students, staff, volunteers and the principal were all gracious, and the building was decorated and glistening with Christmas. The performances and the behavior of the audience and students were wonderful. What an inspiring evening!

I ENJOY SHOPPING at Augusta Mall and have never had any trouble there. If the security gets slack on rules and regulations, then it will end up just like the Regency Mall.

blaze166
blaze166 12/13/06 - 03:00 am
To the woman that was

To the woman that was followed in the mall. I don’t understand why you’re so surprised; Thank goodness you’re not an African American male, you probably would have gotten arrested if you said anything.

thebisback
thebisback 12/13/06 - 04:06 am
Whatever!! it's all in your

Whatever!! it's all in your head and if you are being followed then obviously you have done something wrong

nette142002
nette142002 12/13/06 - 05:29 am
Excused me for saying this

Excused me for saying this but the only way you will not get followed is if you are "WHITE". It is very stupid but it is true. Everyone needs to grow up and realize the all MONEY spend the same way.

DJCJMC
DJCJMC 12/13/06 - 06:19 am
i'm a white female and i get

i'm a white female and i get followed all the time at the mall. it doesn't bother me at all. at least i know no one will bother me as long as the security people are watching me.

Pinchgut
Pinchgut 12/13/06 - 06:40 am
Congratulations Queen Andy,

Congratulations Queen Andy, King Marion did it to you again.

alias1
alias1 12/13/06 - 07:35 am
this is a reply to the

this is a reply to the southern belle, the girls do get married, then have children, then have nothing else to do with their husbands, thats what happened to me, now i am stuck paying child support because the girl wanted to be single again, how can she be single and raise a child too?

elizaw
elizaw 12/13/06 - 07:41 am
And if you are a African

And if you are a African American, woman or male, you will get followed, whether even if you have money. Maybe some of you people need to be an african american for a day. Then you will see. But most of you already know that it does exist. There's no need to complain.

JXK
JXK 12/13/06 - 07:56 am

Thank God for the security and police presence in the mall and elsewhere. You should be praying for them not ridiculing them. Those of you who are worried about being followed need to wake up to the realities of living in a post 911 society. Are you living in a vacuum or bubble? Do you not realize that just last week a muslim terrorist was arrested for plotting to blow up shopping centers with grenades placed in garbage cans? You liberal idiots are clueless and it seems you won't wake up until we are hit again or it impacts you or your family directly. Then you'll be screaming "where were the police"? "why didn't the government protect us"? Oh and yes, blaming Bush! You should feel protected and not offended. That is, if you are not doing anything illegal???

GAGIRL001
GAGIRL001 12/13/06 - 08:07 am
People will find anything to

People will find anything to complain about when it comes to the race issue. This is a piece of advise to everyone that plans on shopping anywhere regardless of your color; you will be followed or watched. This is why retail businesses hire people this time of year. They are doing their job. If you don't want to be "followed" then consider shopping online.

SGS
SGS 12/13/06 - 08:14 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since I frequent the Augusta Mall at least once every week, every security personnel I have seen there has been African-American males. They have always been very polite and professional, as far as I've seen. Maybe they are checking you out instead of "following" you. And if he IS following you because you're African-American, and he is African-American also, does that continue to make it a racial issue...or does it now appear to be justifiable suspicion?

JXK
JXK 12/13/06 - 08:17 am
NICELY PUT SGS....maybe we

NICELY PUT SGS....maybe we should call in the so-called rev al or jesse in to investigate!

Educated
Educated 12/13/06 - 08:43 am
I have lived in Augusta for

I have lived in Augusta for one year. I must say here African Americans are more racist then white people are!!!! I have never seen so many African American groups and organization. Why don't you have white people in those groups and organizations? Are you racist against whites?

september 5th
september 5th 12/13/06 - 08:52 am
i wonder what the

i wonder what the relationship is between a.k. hasan and dr. hawthone welcher..since a.k. wants to help select the new superintendent and he worked so hard to get rid of dr larke..

SuperG151
SuperG151 12/13/06 - 08:55 am
I work at the mall and after

I work at the mall and after seeing all the thugs that infest the mall at night, I am glad that security are patrolling it instead of sitting around doing nothing!

what11
what11 12/13/06 - 08:56 am
amen sam

amen sam

JXK
JXK 12/13/06 - 08:57 am
No Sam they're not against

No Sam they're not against whites! They're just pro-black. LOL

Educated
Educated 12/13/06 - 09:03 am
But if I was pro-white,

But if I was pro-white, wouldn't that make me racist?

elizaw
elizaw 12/13/06 - 09:06 am
I am not racist for sure.

I am not racist for sure. But if the shoe fits wear it. I have all types of friends (associates) in my view. About 2 people I can truly call friends. Some people do treat us different (NOT ALL), I need to state that. Customer service sometimes is not great toward us. Not at the mall, I don't even shop there, but various stores on Washington Road, Target area etc.... For example, when you are in line for anything and people tend to overlook you and help others (that are not black or an minority, THERE IS A PROBLEM. Stop saying that all blacks are racists! That is an untrue statement. And All white people aren't racist! I have enough Intelligence to know whos who.

HGGP
HGGP 12/13/06 - 09:11 am
It could happen to anyone

It could happen to anyone anywhere. There are a lot of thugs at the Augusta Mall but those thugs are from all races. The people they harass are from all races and walks of life. Where ever there is a place for gathering there will be thugs. Heck, look at Walmart, the movie theaters, bowling, parks.........everywhere!

Educated
Educated 12/13/06 - 09:16 am
I promise you it's not

I promise you it's not because you’re African that customer service is not great toward you. Their rude to everyone!!!! Wal-Mart on Dean’s bridge road is the worst!!! Last week the cashier was taking a personal call while checking me out. How Rude!!!!! I can give you list of stores and fast food places that have bad customer service.

JXK
JXK 12/13/06 - 09:18 am
Sorry Mamabear...NEVER SEEN

Sorry Mamabear...NEVER SEEN WHITE THUGS IN THE MALL. ONLY the wanna be rap video stars with their fake bling and funky grills. It's all pretty scary if you want to know the truth. Most of them are not there to purchase anything at all. Seems they are just there to be seen and heard.

Concerned2
Concerned2 12/13/06 - 09:25 am
Currently who is in charge of

Currently who is in charge of Morgan Rd. Middle
School? After talking to both Mrs. Norris and Mr. Benedict about the violence there, I'm not sure that they have any bussiness in the school system at all. My daughter was in horrible fight there last week and is currently being threatened every day and after talking to them about the on going threats, Mr. Benedict seemed tired of hearing about.I don't feel reasured at all that something is being done to protect my child. There is never anyone at the board who is not in a meeting to talk to.

stepyga
stepyga 12/13/06 - 09:26 am
I have something to say about

I have something to say about the southern belle thing. Yes we do believe in getting married. I personally myself am a single mother of two wonderful and beautifil boys. I chose to be single, because the guy I was with for 12 years did nothing but drink and decided he wanted to be my dad and not a dad to our two boys. So I chose the betterlife for me and my boys. So before you go around knocking on single mothers in the south. You might want to do some homework on why they are single.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 12/13/06 - 09:32 am
I WOULD RATHER SEE TACKY

I WOULD RATHER SEE TACKY Christmas blow-up ornaments in the yard than none at all. At least the folks with them in their yards make an effort. I applaud your effort, even if they are tacky they are better than no Christmas Holdiay Decorations at all. My neighborhood looks like no one cares, very few make an effort that can. P.S. Not referring to invalids, elderly, sick or poor.

Concerned2
Concerned2 12/13/06 - 09:33 am
If a drag strip brings in

If a drag strip brings in money, who cares who thought of it, get over yourself.

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/13/06 - 09:38 am
Georgie is such a racist

Georgie is such a racist place to live. Doesn't matter what color you are, everyone down here is always complaining about something. if you are being followed by an officer at the mall, then obviously you are doing something that doesnt look right to them. if you have that much of a problem, then ask the officer, or go to the customer service desk. The people down here who are still playing the race card need to get over it. Everyone is just making things worse. White people don't get away with saying things like that, cause we would be considered racist, but a black person can say it. I dont get it. Has anyone noticed that most of the officers at the mall are black? Weird huh?

bel.chick
bel.chick 12/13/06 - 09:49 am
I have a comment regarding

I have a comment regarding single mothers not getting married. I am a single mother and what is it any business of yours if we are married or not. Thank God I didn't marry my sons father. We would have been divorced soon anyways due to his instability in realtionships and in life. I work full time a member of our a community and other activites I don't recieve child support or any goverment help. What matters in my life more than marriage is my childs health and well being.Now, What kind of family life do you have...How are your children being raised, Are they happy, are the really. Then don't comment on all single mothers as a whole.

Curlie56
Curlie56 12/13/06 - 09:50 am
To all of you who have a

To all of you who have a problem with the shopping or the treatment you are receiving at the Augusta Mall...Why are you still spending your money, supporting that mall? I don't understand it! Aiken has a mall, and there is the Augusta Exchange (Target) Center. If you can't get to Aiken Mall, go to the Augusta Public Transit and get the schedule for the Best Friend Express Bus, which comes into the Augusta Transit Facility to make pick ups for the Aiken Mall as well as Aiken Technical College and other areas of coverage. There is a schedule for that bus which starts at 6 a.m. in the morning and ends at 6p.m. in the evening. STOP SPENDING YOUR MONEY AT THE MALL, WHICH WILL MAKE A LARGER IMPACT AS WELL AS SEND A LOUDER MESSAGE TO AUGUSTA MALL MANAGEMENT. YOU ARE NOT FORCED TO SPEND THERE. Now, lets' face it...the mall has had several deadly security issues such as rapes, killings, kidnaps etcs. Augusta Mall has not always been what it is today. There is a reason for its' present stance!

ladybug2
ladybug2 12/13/06 - 09:53 am
Stop playing the race card!

Stop playing the race card! Its just getting old, and most of the security personnel are black. Its all in your heads

3572 12/13/06 - 10:09 am
In reference to the rant to

In reference to the rant to southern belles well i say to you that in the south is not the only place that have single parents. I guess to keep things nice since its Christmas, you should keep some thoughts to yourself. That thought being one of them. People are single parents not by choice all the time. And i have seen so many good students(children) A honor roll students raised in single parent homes. Look at the good and not always the bad or what you think is bad. Get a life

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs