Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

I'M REALLY PROUD TO read that Augusta has one of the highest poverty rates in the suburbs in the nation. Makes me really, really happy when I realize that the money I get back from my taxes from making over $70,000 a year, I really need it vs. the people who don't. Thank you, Republicans.

THIS IS A RANT FOR The Augusta Chronicle. Not one article in the paper about Pearl Harbor, the attack on Pearl Harbor. Shame on you.

THIS IS A RANT TO MCG targeting smokers as people with disgusting habits that must be extinguished to protect the public. At least with smoke, you can see it to avoid it. I bet there are more drinkers than smokers at MCG. With all the drinking parties MCG hosts year-round, you can't always see their drunken drivers coming at you on the roads of the CSRA. Maybe MCG should hire our local police department to perform breathalyzers before their party patrons leave to drive home.

I RECENTLY HAD THE birth of my son at University Hospital, and this is a big rave. I would like to thank the whole staff at University Hospital in Labor and Delivery, especially nurse Deitra. You were wonderful. And to my doctor, Dr. Burns - you all were so wonderful.

THIS IS A GREAT BIG rave for Martha King at Augusta Cares. If you call her, she does her best to see that she solves your problem and if she's not in her office, she will call you back.

I READ WITH HORROR that Gov. Sonny Perdue is considering eliminating health care benefits for state retirees. What is this man, a Nazi? Shame on this man.

I READ IN THE PAPER today the TV station 12 did not renew Richard Rogers contract, only extended it two more months. I've watched the news for a long time and I always liked the way he gave us information. I guess the TV station has a buddy to put in his spot! Well, I can go to the other station (6) and get my news - and so will my friends.

A RANT TO THE BIASED "citizens" who keep sending the self-serving politicians to oversee the past and continuing declining of Augusta. The main "mouther" is not even grammatical, and he should have recused himself on the drag strip deal as a family member plans to set up shop nearby. The world is concerned with global warming. Oil is greatly wasted such as with NASCAR and fans burning up gas and tires all the time. And a couple of self-serving "leaders" want to blow taxpayer money on a drag strip based on doubtful financial results. That's responsible leadership?

IF THE RICHMOND County school board and teachers really like to improve kids' attitudes towards school, I suggest they rethink school start times. I went to school 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Can't imagine having the same attitude if I was required to report to school when these poor kids do today.

thebisback
thebisback 12/11/06 - 06:04 am
The school system here in the

The school system here in the U.S. sucks!! The teachers are overworked and underpaid. Also they are underappreciated and their morale doesn't exists.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 12/11/06 - 07:40 am
If you don't want your refund

If you don't want your refund that the republicans made possible, just give it to some of these drinkers, smokers, dopers and
SYSTEM WORKING WELFARE PEOPLE IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER.

norad65
norad65 12/11/06 - 08:16 am
Rant, with all the local

Rant, with all the local interesting stories of the people in the area. Our media could really care less. One woman who has been seeking answers to her MIA father in Vietnam for over 41 years. Hears of an excavation on big news channnel NBC weekend nightly news.This is the first she knows of the excavation. Then NBC Atlanta and New York picks up the human interest piece.
Do you think the local NBC chanel did anything.. NO.
What a shame. Such a shame that our news media.be it the TV or the Paper doesn't want to offer human interest stories of the locals.

getalife
getalife 12/11/06 - 08:58 am
Marion Williams is on

Marion Williams is on interested in the drag strip project because it will help his son-in-law that purchased land across from the proposed site. I really don't think the county is capable of controlling or running anything for a profit. When will the voters get smart and stop voting these people into office. He and his other two commissioners are in Nevada spending our money this past week.

brainyboomer
brainyboomer 12/11/06 - 09:11 am
I am tired of Martha King

I am tired of Martha King applauding her job performance every couple of weeks in your column. She is well paid and just doing her job. If she continues to send in these "raves" I would suggest she change up the wording a little bit so it is not so obvious. I cannot imagine how long her arms have gotten from patting herself on the back.

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 12/11/06 - 09:24 am
I see I do not need to put in

I see I do not need to put in my daily diatribe (look it up marion) against the money spending.. traveling..commissioners... thanks getalife and LOL at brainyboomer comments !!!!

HGGP
HGGP 12/11/06 - 09:47 am
I know that everyone needs

I know that everyone needs their refund at the end of the year. We appreciate getting our small amount back. But you know I feel like you do. My husband has paid over $22,000 in taxes this year just so we won't owe Uncle Sam in 07'. The shame in all of that is, as a family we only made around $70,000. But because we do not keep populating the world with children and have raised self sufficient children, we do not have that many deductions to claim. We are still considered middle class citizens because we are paying $22,000 a year to support some dead beats that don't get off of their butts and strive as a human beings instead of being an unproductive waste to society. I am all for those in need getting help. But when you have received help for a short time you should be cut off from the services. But for that to happen they also need to be taught how to live productive lives. The wake up call needs to be for the gov't who provides all of the services. Make it harder to get and keep the services and less people will be taking advantage of handouts. I would like to have used at least part of that $22,000 to better our lives instead of living pay check to pay check. I need my money too!

putterman1940
putterman1940 12/11/06 - 10:29 am
WHAT EVER HAPPENED to just

WHAT EVER HAPPENED to just plain old white COLGATE toothpaste?

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 12/11/06 - 10:33 am
The idea of a city-owned and

The idea of a city-owned and operated dragstrip is so out of bounds, it needs to be stopped and re-evaluated immediately. This is NOT going to be a money making venture for the city and will only cost the city money. Why not take that same money and invest it in the improvement of some of the downtown buildings that need to be totally renovated and then have the ability to sell those buildings at a profit to businesses or as office space. The same goes for Regency Mall. The city needs to be in the business of development and growing our financial needs, not in the business of racing. We have the Jackson Dragstrip and the Powerboat races for our high-octane fix - we don't need anything more.

RebelTA
RebelTA 12/11/06 - 11:21 am
I agree with mommabear and I

I agree with mommabear and I also believe that if you have a second child while on welfare you should be sterilized and it should be mandatory. I am sick to death of supporting deadbeats and people with no morals who aren't even sure who the father of the baby is. It is NOT the job of this government to support your sorry behind. Get an education (it is free), get a job and get some pride. There should only be public housing for elderly and/or mentally disabled people. If you cannot afford to rent or buy a home, live in the street. Maybe then you might get a job.

christian134
christian134 12/11/06 - 11:58 am
A Rave goes out to the owners

A Rave goes out to the owners of Espress-Oh Coffee Shop the "Best little secret in the whole South". If you want a warm Christian atmohsphere combined with free wireless internet, comfie couches with ole' style coffee house charm this is the place to come. I have found their line of coffee's, latte's, fresh baked goods along with a wonderful line of sandwiches and sides to be the finest around. Plus the prices are unbeatable.
Warm smiles and good conversation free.
Located Aiken-Augusta Highway or 4629 Jefferson Davis Hwy.

papabigo
papabigo 12/11/06 - 12:11 pm
To the reader known as THE

To the reader known as THE THINKER , I am sure those smokers and drinkers are a much better person than you

ForHim
ForHim 12/11/06 - 12:33 pm
To stewartist: Thanks for

To stewartist: Thanks for your response, but I just wanted to clarify something for you. The hate and violence in the world is because of Satan .. not God. God gives us choices to make. What happens then is a direct result of those choices. Everything that our Father is about is love. If everyone lived EXACTLY by the Bible, there would be absolute peace. He laid it out for us in His Word. We are the ones who choose to stray from it. But God knew that we would make those bad choices and He gave his Son so that we still could go to heaven and live eternally. I hope you have a wonderful day.

kf2222222
kf2222222 12/11/06 - 12:52 pm
to sbrown1968 keep showing us

to sbrown1968 keep showing us how ignorant people are, what if god felt that way; and did not give up his only son for us, so that we can have life.

getalife
getalife 12/11/06 - 01:12 pm
I am also tired of paying

I am also tired of paying taxes so that these lazy butt people can walk the streets or sit on porches playing checkers and out making more welfare children at night. The government with these give-aways have created a monster that cannot be controlled. These people are in the WalMarts with two and three grocery carts full and most weigh somewhere between 250 and 400 pounds. With the outsourcing of our jobs to other countries and the number of people requiring welfare, medical and food stamps increasing each year, soon there will not be enough people paying enough tax to support these lazy [filtered word] people.

who-r-u-2-judge
who-r-u-2-judge 12/11/06 - 02:11 pm
To sbrown1968 and getalife,

To sbrown1968 and getalife, you don't know everyone's situation or their struggle. You never know what tramatic chain of events may happen in your lives that would put you in the welfare catergory looking for assistance. Consider it a blessing that you have enough to help those in need.

concerned citizen2
concerned citizen2 12/11/06 - 03:02 pm
Don't be so quick to judge

Don't be so quick to judge others or put them all in one category. Everybody situations are different. I know someone that has worked and supported her three kids without assistance from the state after her husband walked out on them leaving them devastated. Being a single parent, if you get sick or need surgery and can't work for a period of time and your job benefits don't cover all your expenses you may have to get some foodstamps or whatever you need. I agree that it is not a long term fix but some people are not lazy. They need to focus more on these men that come home and say I am tired of being a father and a husband and walk out leaving the mothers needing help. Just don't be so quick to judge because you never know what the future holds for you.

HGGP
HGGP 12/11/06 - 03:46 pm
To "who-r-u-2-judge and

To "who-r-u-2-judge and concerned citizen" if I may quote what I wrote..."But when you have received help for a short time you should be cut off from the services. But for that to happen they also need to be taught how to live productive lives. The wake up call needs to be for the gov't who provides all of the services. Make it harder to get and keep the services and less people will be taking advantage of handouts." I did not group everyone into that category. The young mother you spoke about does help herself. She is different from the ones who don't. Help those who help themselves is the way I was taught! I know that life brings lots of up and downs but as I said they need to be taught how to be productive not kept on assistance all of their lives so they do not have to become productive. You do not have to stay where you have been all of your life. You are the only one that can change your future. But if there is not an incentive to change then why should they. We are all human and we can be taught to work and to succeed. Whether we succeed as the owner of a thriving business or as the cashier at Burger King. Success is anything that is accomplished through hard work and will!

Bella
Bella 12/11/06 - 04:06 pm
Why do we park on driveways,

Why do we park on driveways, and drive on parkways? What brainiac came up with that concept?

Bella
Bella 12/11/06 - 04:06 pm
Isn't it wierd that sour

Isn't it wierd that sour cream has an expiration date?

stewartist
stewartist 12/11/06 - 04:31 pm
this is to "ForHim"..my

this is to "ForHim"..my friend...It is to easy to blame the worlds Hate and Bloodshed on a "Metaphoric being" we as humans have the capability to make our own decisions in life and are accountable for our own actions without it being a result of the "Grace of God" or "an Act of Satan". There are Good people in this world (whether they believe in God, Buddah, etc.) and there are people in this world who are full of hate. It shouldn't take (the word of God or to FEAR God) to fully realize what it means to be Good or Bad),It takes Love, Compassion, and Truth within your own heart and soul.

Knight Mom
Knight Mom 12/11/06 - 06:24 pm
getalife; it wouldn't matter

getalife; it wouldn't matter if the jobs were outsourced or not; these lazy bums still wouldn't get up and go to work because they're use to having everything given to them. Why work when someone will give it to you or you can steal it.

spencmrr
spencmrr 12/11/06 - 06:39 pm
I here people here belive in

I here people here belive in (GOD< and Jesus). but yet they cry about the poeple who have not and the people who do nothing, yet we worry about what we give and instead injoying what you give for your reward is great, inside your heart and what you disserve, look in your wallet and remeber that you can give and still have , merry christmas. hoho.

Augustaman
Augustaman 12/11/06 - 10:41 pm
Well, I think Us Augustans

Well, I think Us Augustans have put up with enough political abuse and ignorance. We as a united community need to put our foot down and get out those idiots that are making city decisions that is only benefiting them and their families. This race track issue is really getting old and rediculous. The fact that they have decide our fate by choosing to put this major waste of money and resources is not right. Mr Williams the jerk that consistantly feels the need to spend spend spend has got to go and Mr Cheeks needs to follow. Isn't it ironic that these two men several months ago were using tax payers money for legal representation to sue each other??? Now they are best friends working to spend more of our tax money for stupid things. They are acting like they have an unlimited supply of money to spend especially ole Marian. What it was his Hawaiian vacation then it was his Chicago vacation then the Reno vacation and now $6 million dollars. Marian, Marian, Marian how come you keep squandering our money for your own personal gain. Some people have lost their jobs and went to jail for what you are doing. Please resign and take your boy Andy with you. You are embarassing us.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 12/12/06 - 12:42 am
I enjoy reading your Rants

I enjoy reading your Rants and Raves online way over here in Middle Jawja. It is a lot easier to read about problems of another area than the problems of one's own locale. I just wish you all over there could find a similar column from another area to read so that you, too, could take a break from your own aggravations.

rzombie125
rzombie125 12/12/06 - 12:51 am
I want to know how to get all

I want to know how to get all those tax dollars back. I'm a single male, making about $50k a year, and own my own house. Instead of paying the IRS monthly, I take a penalty and pay once a year. My accountant gets me just about every tax break that is available to me, but I still end up paying between $6k and $10k a year. That's alot of loot to shell out at once!