Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I WOULD LIKE to call in a rave for the excellent care that I received by the emergency room staff at University Hospital during a recent visit.

I'M FROM OUT OF TOWN and I think Augusta has the most rude drivers in the world.

ALL OUR PROBLEMS can be traced to the fact that the Me Generation is running our country. What do you expect from the most selfish, self-absorbed generation of Americans to ever live?

THE PROBLEM WITH Augusta-Richmond County's finances is not the fault of the tax office, but the commissioners, who couldn't manage a car wash, let alone run a city!

A RANT FOR Augusta Chronicle - we have more information about what happens in Aiken then we do in Augusta.

A RAVE ABOUT News Channel 6 and the way they're doing their evening news now, 11 o'clock news. It's wonderful. I enjoy it so much better.

A RAVE FOR Tina for writing letters to Letters to the editor section. Keep up the good work.

A BIG RAVE for The Chronicle. The paper finally published a crossword puzzle with no mention of symphony conductors, cookbook authors, no-talent actors, poets and authors, ballet dancers and diseased rock stars.

THE SINGLE GREATEST obstacle to progress in Augusta is The Chronicle.

Comments (18)

IoWaHaWkEyEs
IoWaHaWkEyEs 12/08/06 - 09:57 am

I agree that driver's here

I agree that driver's here are rude. I've lived here 3 years and never experienced this where I'm from. When I first moved here, I hated living here. I don't believe in the whole southern hospitality thing they say they have here. I've yet to see any of it!

stunna
stunna 12/08/06 - 10:21 am

a rave for the wal-mart tire

a rave for the wal-mart tire department in evans. sarah, tim, were god sent angels, sarah was on the phone with me while i was stranded on bobby jones, by the time i got to the store on thanksgiving eve, the tire department was closed, but she was at customer service desk getting ready to go home, but she reopened the shop and they repaired my tire, so i could leave to attend my brother's funeral. i thank all four of you guys and god will truly bless all you.

peonynut
peonynut 12/08/06 - 10:22 am

It is so sad to read the post

It is so sad to read the post by citizens in the Rants & Raves and Across the Area. I think the number one reason for all of Augusta's problems is lack of education.

3572 12/08/06 - 10:44 am

To the people that are from

To the people that are from out of town, maybe instead of you being one person and looking at thousands of people saying we are all rude look at yourself and how you present yourself to others. I am also not from Augusta but i dont walk around with attitude and looking for the bad in people but the good.I love Augusta and i dont care where you go LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 12/08/06 - 10:49 am

If you are looking for the

If you are looking for the southern hospitality in GA forget it! I have lived here for over 20 years and still have not found it. It must have moved.

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 12/08/06 - 11:01 am

Southern hospitality is alive

Southern hospitality is alive and well in Most of the South...however augusta ga. is not your typical southern city
It is a dying ..decaying..crime-ridden hell-hole. Run by a
group of uneducated political wannabes...who are only there to serve themselves.

chambers
chambers 12/08/06 - 11:24 am

Peonynut and davissmary are

Peonynut and davissmary are absolutely correct. This is the
most reverse-bigotted city I have ever lived in.

HGGP
HGGP 12/08/06 - 12:04 pm

Today's poll question and

Today's poll question and answers seem a little unjust to me. Sure as an educator I would like to physically discipline the children in my classroom. But as an educator I also know many other educators who should not be able to have that right because they do not control their anger well. Suppose they do not control their anger and leave marks on your child or cause injury to your child then there would be a law suit. When I was growing up the physical discipline occured in the classroom (hallway) and it was acceptable then. In this day and age it is not acceptable. Besides I do believe that our Administrators make enough money to take that heat off of the teacher. That is why they are in the system by abundance. We need to be careful what we wish for with discipline. I do not want just any teacher teaching my child and I sure do not want just any teacher physically disciplining my child. The way the education system is handling it now is the way it should be handle for all parties involved, including and foremost the students.

rzombie125
rzombie125 12/08/06 - 01:10 pm

"nette142002" What an

"nette142002" What an idiotic rant! There isn't as many black American actors as there is white. The black actors & actresses that are in the movies and on T.V. are all extremely sucessful. Not to mention the blacks have their very own, exclusive, T.V. channel, music awards, entertainment awards, and entertainment guild. Now I ask you, what if whites had the same exclusive venues? Would you feel that whites are being racist?

reallybugged
reallybugged 12/08/06 - 01:58 pm

You are right nette142002.

You are right nette142002. Racism is at an all time high. With that rant of yours, you not only proved you are an idiot but racist yourself. It is people like you who want to focus on color and race who promote racism and hate. Wake up and realize it is not about White Americans or African Americans it’s about AMERICANS! We are one people. Until we realize this and band together to protect this country we are weak and vulnerable to the terrorist of the world. Get a life nette142002.

dixiegirl42
dixiegirl42 12/08/06 - 03:04 pm

I totally disagree with the

I totally disagree with the rant about there being more in the paper about Aiken than Augusta. There needs to be more about the Aiken and Horse Creek Valley area in the paper since a majority of your readers are from that area.

Brian1233
Brian1233 12/08/06 - 03:20 pm

In response to the above

In response to the above discussion regarding racial diversity on TV: According to the 2000 census, 12% of the US population is African American. According to the Screen Actors Guild 2004 diversity report, African American actors held 13.8% of theatrical and television roles. So, there is actually a higher proportion of African Americans in television and film than there are in "real life".

amsinsavannah
amsinsavannah 12/08/06 - 03:24 pm

I disagree with the Southern

I disagree with the Southern Hospitality not being around. I let drivers in and out all the time. I also say hey or at least smile when I pass someone walking. I have lived here all my life and experience the friendly city once a day. I agree with the one person who says, it is how you make it.

Queen4842
Queen4842 12/08/06 - 04:36 pm

I might agree with your

I might agree with your assessment had Hasan been beat by a white person, but since the people voted in Venus Cain who is black I don't buy the racist crap.

merlin
merlin 12/08/06 - 05:45 pm

I disagree also with there

I disagree also with there being more about Aiken than Augusta. There is plenty of news about Augusta and sometimes there are major happenings in Aiken and I look to see if there is anything about it in The Chronicle and may not find anything about it. I think The Chronicle does a fine job. I live in Aiken county and don't care for the Aiken Standard so I look to the Augusta Chronicle for the news. Can't you share your towns paper? You know there are two sections: one called Carolina Chronicle (for Aiken area news) and Richmond neighbor (for Augusta area news).

ryarka
ryarka 12/08/06 - 08:06 pm

I wish people would stop

I wish people would stop riding the "race card".From what I can see black people are much more racist than whites.Most black people in this backwoods town have segregated themselves don't trust anyone ,and yet black on black crime is at an all time high.Do you see any white people break into your homes? Carry AK 47's terrorizing you?

hisfaith2003
hisfaith2003 12/08/06 - 08:48 pm

reply for peoynut, there are

reply for peoynut, there are more educated nuts,dui, sex offenders, murders and sucides then uneducated so i guess you are educated. but to me only an uneducated person would make a commit like that. i am not from georgia, but i found that was the most un wanted and un needed commit i have ever heard and you need to pray and find peace within yourself.....

jdwilson1983
jdwilson1983 12/09/06 - 12:07 am

this is another rant to

this is another rant to writer who called me a jerk. first of all you you're the one who is the idiot. you can't even spell speech and the word intelligent. you dummy. yes the president speech is very lame. who cares about bush he certainly doesn't care about us? now what. you get mad at the truth. i'll never give bush a break, jerk.