Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS RANT IS TO the person that stole the Georgia bulldog stepping stone planted flush with the ground between my parents' grave markers at Westover Cemetery. My parents were avid Georgia fans, but that marker was not just for that. When their precious dog died after they did, I had her cremated and I buried her between them under that stone. I hope you enjoy it now.

I MUST ADMIT THAT there are a lot of ignorant comments in the Rants and Raves section. Sometimes it is too funny to be real. Then sometimes the comments are so stupid it's sad. But the comment about the world being flat - c'mon now, are there still people who really believe that? Does Augusta have the highest level of ignorance in the world or what?

THIS IS A RANT FOR the uninformed person who said the Bible claims the Earth is flat. You are wrong. The Bible teaches that the Earth is spherical, round in shape and not flat at all (see Isaiah 40:22). Next time you feel you must criticize the Bible, at least try and get your facts straight. Now how in the world could have Isaiah known about the shape of the Earth thousands of years before satellites and telescopes were invented? Must have had some inside information from a higher source, don't you think?

IN RETORT TO deadbeat mother-in-law ... Does he pay his child support? If yes, he is not a deadbeat. If his son eats hot dogs for dinner, wears hand-me-downs, is a day-care patient and lives in a cold house without toys, maybe that child needs a better custodian.

WITH THE BUS SERVICE being cut, maybe some of the folks that come to the drag strip can transport some of the bus passengers. Or some of those that haven't paid their taxes could have their cars taken for the taxes and given to those that have no cars and have to ride the bus that won't be there for them. Anyway, my 80-year-old mother shouldn't have to pay a buck to stand up on a moving bus. You elected these jerks, people; now live with it.

IF MY NEIGHBOR'S DOG barks all day long, will I get into trouble if I bark all night?

HOW TOUCHING THE comment was from the reader who cared for an aging parent and thought it was a great idea for the other children to be counted out of the will if they didn't do the same. How fortunate they are to have had such great parents. I wish I could say the same. I am the child who has been cut out of the will because I got tired of being manipulated by a mean, miserable old woman. She has told my sycophant brothers that she was taking me out of the will, but she doesn't have the courage to call me; she instead sends me a copy of the above rant from The Chronicle with no return address.

I AM CALLING REGARDING the soldiers stationed at Fort Gordon. My husband and I have traveled all over the world and he was 20-plus years in the service. And what I have noticed, especially being a Northerner, which would probably negate this whole thing, is that the black community here is more racist than the white community. They do not let the white community have a healing with them. And I hope it will come.

Mattfitz
Mattfitz 12/02/06 - 08:39 am
I am serviceman and read the

I am serviceman and read the chronicle from my deployed locations all throughout the world and agree with one of your last bulletins. I am originally from Augusta and have had not run into the same issues that I seem to deal with every time I come home. Every time I come back I am treated like I owe the African American community something.

sammyj
sammyj 12/02/06 - 09:29 am
I just wanted to say thank

I just wanted to say thank you to Peachorchard drugs for doing the four dollar prescription plan and for delivering them to my house for free. It really helps me. Thank You.

msdaisy
msdaisy 12/02/06 - 09:37 am
To the person that lives in

To the person that lives in Harrisburg, Is your dog kinda blonde haired and skiddish? There is a stray dog hanging around Lamar Elementary thats been there 3-4 days and looks scared to death and very nerveous. If any dought please take a look..........poor thing.I tried to feed it but it runs away and want come to me.

luckie
luckie 12/02/06 - 10:00 am
In response to Augusta's

In response to Augusta's racism, the biggest problem that I have seen is the realtors. If they would show more white people homes on the south side, the city and schools could be more integrated thus making communication more effective. As long as segregation exists, racism will.

elizaw
elizaw 12/02/06 - 10:05 am
I am an African American,

I am an African American, veteran, and was raised up North. Most of all, I am not prejudice. But it seems as though there is a lot of racism here, the rant and raves columns alone proves that, especially with the whites, let me re-phrase that, ESPECIALLY WITH THE ONES THAT LIVE IN COLUMBIA COUNTY. And yes they are prejudice up North, they are not as vocal as the people down here, thats the difference. Whoever you are you need to suck it up if you are racist Black or White and Hopefully people like me will get together and change it for the better. After this new email posting through the Augusta Chronicle, I feel more relieved after reading the REAL comments from people. We do have people that are not racist and want to make this place better.

onelove
onelove 12/02/06 - 11:08 am
To the person who wrote about

To the person who wrote about ur mother cutting u out of her will....... U only get one mother in ur life no matter how bad she acts now when she is gone u are gonna wish u had treated her better I know cause I deal with that everyday now that my mother is gone and shes been gone 13 years and I wish everyday that I had treated her better. Go out and get a dozen roses and take it to her and if she still acts that wa just tell her u love her always and when she is ready she will return that love to u but u will know that u tryed ur best.

stewartist
stewartist 12/02/06 - 11:27 am
RELATING TO the comment about

RELATING TO the comment about the "Earth Being Flat"..actually it was Aristotle through observation, brought to light the theory of a spherical planet. And as far as religion is involved, when Galileo and other early astronomers approached the Catholic churches about their theories of the earth, moon,and our solar system, they were condemed for heresy,...lucky for us today scientist aren't condemed for their wonderful discoveries of science, medicine, etc...

thebisback
thebisback 12/02/06 - 12:02 pm
All of you need to get a

All of you need to get a life.. we are all the same.. we are humans and we all live in the same earth... it's the not the economic situation or level of education that makes the racisms.. it's the people..

stewartist
stewartist 12/02/06 - 12:48 pm
how about these words of

how about these words of wisdom..."Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
Nowhere below us
Above only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

If we can live like this...we would ALL live in harmony!

owensjef
owensjef 12/02/06 - 01:09 pm
To Mattifitz, all you owe

To Mattifitz, all you owe African American is a fair chance, and the the same second chance that whites get , I thought that what soldiers fight for. It is amazing that you can go to war for Iraq with no problem, and still make a comment like that.. Has anything changed in 40 years?

juju86
juju86 12/02/06 - 02:26 pm
Centerplate in the James

Centerplate in the James Brown Areana is the worst concession company ever. They serve food that is spoiled plus they keep rats in the concession stand. What type of company is this? I feel they should be shut down.

elizaw
elizaw 12/02/06 - 02:38 pm
I pray that more people like:

I pray that more people like: ealberti, stewartist, owensjef and thebisbak would comment more. We need more people like you to write. Thank you for your statements.

Augustaman
Augustaman 12/02/06 - 03:47 pm
Ya'll I am just amazed to

Ya'll I am just amazed to read these things day after day, the same things all the time. How the whites are getting more than blacks and how blacks are getting more. Come on is this the real issue that we have to deal with every day? The way I see it is that we all are afforded the same benefits and opportunities. The difference is that some don't take opportunity by the hand but rather wait for opportunity to take them by the hand. Then when something doesn't happens they blame everyone else rather than take responsibility for their own action. We have become a whinning community and a bunch of finger pointers. We need to put up or shut up!!!!!

pipeman03
pipeman03 12/02/06 - 04:04 pm
what is an "African American"

what is an "African American" I am of German/Irish descent, does that make me German/Irish American??? I have never been to Germany or Ireland but, hey its a neat nameGerman/Irish American, can I get special treatment???

Augustaman
Augustaman 12/02/06 - 04:15 pm
Pipeman03, that is great. I

Pipeman03, that is great. I only know a few real African Americans and they are really from Africa. Where has this come from? I am of European decendancy, however I am not afforded the right of that title when questioned about my heritage. If I am born on American soil and you all are born on American soil doesn't that make us all Americans not African, Hispanic, Irish, Russian, French, Asian etc.? What is the difference. Whoopi Goldberg says she is an American. According to my limited knowledge of birth protocol, where you are born is your nationality and where your citizenship lies.

Augustaman
Augustaman 12/02/06 - 04:25 pm
I know there are a lot of

I know there are a lot of underlying race issues and have been for a long long time. I really feel like we could all get along better if we did not have influential people out there stoking the fire of racial indifference. There are groups that formed when rights issues where not equal such as the ACLU and the NAACP. Now that we as a nation have matured and grown and realized the errors or our ways we should desolve them and not allow people such as the two reverands that follow the cameras to be so influential. These people, in my opinion create issues rather solve them. I mean my goodness we can't breathe a breath of air without someone saying they are getting more air than I am.

devilboy
devilboy 12/02/06 - 07:46 pm
Most people don't realise

Most people don't realise that whites and blacks in the south don't want to live in the same neighborhoods. The differences in cultures is too great. thats the way it is and will always be. People are more comfortable with their own kind. The sooner you Yankees figure that out the sooner people can get on with thier lives. You can't blame realtors they show people homes where the people tell them they want to live. I,m white and I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in Barton Village.

cricketflea
cricketflea 12/02/06 - 07:54 pm
We ALL need to get over the

We ALL need to get over the color issue. Plain and simple- we are people first and foremost. PEOPLE. That's it. No color. That is how I raised my son. To see no color. Today (he is 16) he sees no color in People. He sees PEOPLE. Keep your ethnicity. That is wonderful to have. It is your heritage. Get past the color.

Chad
Chad 12/02/06 - 09:44 pm
Children are not racist at

Children are not racist at birth it is a learned behavior. Through our parents, civic, religious, and political leaders. When ever things do not go a certain way the race card is played, lets hear a white male play that, lets face it there is African American heritage month, native American heritage month, Hispanic heritage, Where is the Caucasian American male month? Look at all the flap the new scholarship at Boston collage made at a Caucasian only scholarships, Their are scholarships available for all other races why not the white only and look who is complaining the political and religious leaders, lets stop being so PC and say it like it is. 65% of African Americans create the racism issues when things do not go there way.

twoamepiphany
twoamepiphany 12/02/06 - 11:38 pm
So tired of "race

So tired of "race relations"... or lack thereof. I've been in Georgia two and a half years. I've never been so offended in all my life. My fiancee` is black and I am white. We see racisim on both ends of the spectrum. Let me just say that when I was recently sitting in my college class and the black students learned all the disparities Native Americans have suffered, they were astonished. They were even more astonished to learn that my great-great grandmother walked on the Trail of Tears and how much Indian I myself am. If I can come from a Native American background and can still make a way for myself, I believe ALL ethnicities can do the same. To hell with races.

ForHim
ForHim 12/04/06 - 02:01 pm
To stewartist: How about

To stewartist: How about these words of wisdom ... "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (NIV) John 13: 34-35

kidcounselor
kidcounselor 06/22/07 - 10:57 am
My ancestry is German,

My ancestry is German, British, Scottish, and Native American... that would make me a German-British-Scottish-Native American - American... We are going to need longer lines on the DMV form and my drivers license will now be slightly smaller than my tag!