Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT TO THE PERSON offended by the comment about all of the fat people in Augusta. Considering the plethora of all-you-can-eat buffets and fast food joints in this town, I would say the local obesity problem is indeed mostly about poor diet choices and lack of self-control.

THIS IS FOR ALL the deadbeat dads, including my ex-son-in-law. Are your children hungry because it's the end of the month and food stamps ran out? Are they lonely because Mom has to go to work and they are alone? Are they sad because they think you don't love them? Would they like some new clothes instead of handouts that don't fit? A new toy Mom can't afford? A warm home? Mom can't pay the power bill. Think about it while you are enjoying your beer and cigarettes. Happy holidays.

HOW CAN PEOPLE say Bill Williams is running a negative campaign when his ad says the absolute truth and known facts, while the Roper campaign utilizes a local talk show with three hours daily of Bill Williams bashing and a local newspaper with a biased editorial policy? I was an umpire in the '60s. Does that qualify me as a Superior Court judge?

IN RESPONSE TO THE doctor's office already weary of Christmas music. I spent $50 for a satellite radio setup from myradiostore for my office and will not only be able to control the repetitive Christmas music, but will also avoid the 22 minutes of commercials every hour on FM radio. Your real break will be to invest the $13 a month for your listening sanity. Knowing that we will never hear about grandma getting run over by a reindeer may save some lives in my office.

WHY DO CASHIERS hand you the receipt, your change and your bags all at one time? Am I the only one who feels rushed by that in trying to put your money in your wallet and gather your purchases? There should be more training for cashiers about that.

A RAVE TO WBBQ! I am at work 12 hours a day, and it puts a smile on my face to hear Christmas music. I also listen at home and in the car. So bah humbug to the complainers and a big thank you to WBBQ.

THIS RANT IS in response to the comment about the Harlem teacher being arrested and how the 16-year old should have been arrested and tried as an adult. The point is that the 16-year-old is not an adult, and if she was it wouldn't be a crime.

A RAVE TO THE LETTER writer who said the theory of evolution is just ludicrous. The theory that the world is round is also ludicrous. The Bible indicates that the world is flat, so that is the way it must be. Those scientists don't know anything.

THIS IS TO THE PERSON comparing James Bond to gangster rappers. Bond does what he has to do to save the innocent from evildoers. Gangster rappers degrade women and glorify committing evil acts as if it were something to be proud of. They celebrate violence and going to prison. They poison the minds of our black youth and the roots of our society. Show me where they have made contributions like those of James Brown, Oprah Winfrey or Martin Luther King Jr. The only contributions they have made are to racial animosity and their own pockets.

THIS IS A RANT about the beggars downtown. I'm a downtown resident, and I've had the same people come up to me on several occasions to try and beg for money. Each time they have a different lie for why they're broke and down and out. One guy was about 25 years old, looked to be in fine shape and was sporting a nice hairstyle, but wanted a dollar. Another guy had more gold in his mouth than Fort Knox, and he's feeding me some lie about how his car broke down and he needs money. Just last week the same guy approached me and said he was passing through from Orlando and needed some food. I've given money to some older homeless, but you young guys - get a job!

GuyIncognito
GuyIncognito 11/29/06 - 06:55 am
About the beggers, I'm sick

About the beggers, I'm sick of them too. I am in the military (and like most military, I look like it), so most beggers try to tell me about how they are veterans from [insert applicable war] and that I should give them money to help out a fellow sergeant. Most of beggers have it down to an art, they'll look at you and try to find some reason to relate. If you've got kids, they can't feed their kids at home, if you are military, they are a vet, etc etc

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 11/29/06 - 08:16 am
A rave to my parents (my

A rave to my parents (my father recently deceased) for instilling ideals in my heart and soul, not only to work and be responsible for me but also for my children and to teach them these ideals.

I have an ex-husband who owes me thousands upon thousands and is angry because the State if taking him to court. I worked two and three jobs to provide for my childeren while he helped a new girlfriend (and later wife) to get her son grown and he didn't have a problem with me working and not being able to be at home with my children many times. It's okay....but by the Grace of God he'd also be homeless...when I left I left him with a mobile home that was paid for. Now pray tell me...Why is he angry? No, this time I won't plea to the judge for him. Wake up and tell you family to do the same. My children and I made it for all these years without them and we'll continue by the Grace of God and my parents insistence on growing up being able to take care of yourself.

RebelTA
RebelTA 11/29/06 - 08:18 am
Due to government cutbacks,

Due to government cutbacks, mental issues and physical addictions, a great many of the Vietnam veterans are homeless but I promise you they aren't "young" men. Vietnam was an unpopular war and our government has taken from these men and women there well earned benefits. This government has also abandoned other retirees. So why not give them some benefit of the doubt? Don't hand out money but would it hurt you to buy gift certificates for fast food or a loaf of bread? You say you are military, one day it might be you.

draken712
draken712 11/29/06 - 08:25 am
About the beggars that

About the beggars that everyone is complainin about, I am in the military and currently deployed to Iraq, those beggars are there because we still feed into their B.S. They are no different than the internet scammers that target military personell. If you brush them off they eventually go away.

HillGuy
HillGuy 11/29/06 - 11:16 am
Yes.. there are some people

Yes.. there are some people who have medical conditions that contribute to their obesity, but they make up a small percentage of obese people in this country. The vast majority simply eat way too much and don't exercise. Making five trips to a buffet line is not a medical condition, but rather a condition of not having self-control.

Living the Country Life
Living the Country Life 11/29/06 - 12:46 pm
RAVE - Thank goodness there

RAVE - Thank goodness there are news anchors like John Hart who can liven up a news cast. He's quite entertaining. THANKS!

And for those who don't like it - there are other channels!

hcsredwolf
hcsredwolf 11/29/06 - 02:06 pm
To the person complaining

To the person complaining about the dead beat dads not supporting their children. While I have to agree with you on most of the points you made, I have to disagree with you on one point. Not all noncustodial parents are dads. So please rephrase your comment to reflect "Dead beat parent".My ex-wife owes me almost $30,000 and hasn't seen or spoken to her daughters in almost 12 years. Her choice not mine. I guess she likes her drugs more than her girls.

Truckguy
Truckguy 11/29/06 - 03:17 pm
Concerning Bill William's

Concerning Bill William's negative ads toward David Roper. Keep up the good work. Every time I see a negative ad from Williams toward David Roper it shows his true colors. Please vote for David Roper.

aj
aj 11/29/06 - 06:04 pm
About WBBQ playing Christmas

About WBBQ playing Christmas songs only, I think it's great. However, if you listen to them several hours, you will have heard the same song several times. It was the same last year and the year before, etc. There are enough songs to play for several days without a repeat of the same singer singing the same song. Please look into it. Listening to Christmas songs makes me feel good but is annoying if you hear a repeat.

Augustaman
Augustaman 11/29/06 - 07:00 pm
I appreciate the comments

I appreciate the comments about them being dead beat parents rather than dead beat dads. While I agree that the non custodial parent in many cases do not take care of their responsibilties because of apathy and poor choices or by neglect. However, do you not agree that they do not pay because they can't do to unemployement or the inability to do so. It is heart breaking to have the desire to support your children and cannot because of not having an income to do so.

TeX
TeX 11/29/06 - 09:43 pm
To the casher complaint, I

To the casher complaint, I am not one, but I have worked in a grocery store as a bagger out in AZ.. What I found was that most people are nice// But some peolpe are very self centered and Have no sence of what their actions// IE like not getting your money ready // to pay// & or check out // so as not to hold up others// But say the clerk is the one at fault // no doubt at times that is true// but it helps if you plan ahead

gcoconnor
gcoconnor 11/30/06 - 05:44 am
hello waynesboro, we love

hello waynesboro, we love you, but the augusta exodus has come to a screeching halt! thank goodness. but there is plenty to go around , including burke county! (mainly near richmond county) but augusta is on the rise, both in business and population, so get in while the getting is good, trust me, i know! its about time , thank god! augusta real estate is about to skyrocket for the first time since the 1950'S! all have a good day! GOC

Man reports McCormick attack

A South Carolina man told police three men attempted to sexually assault him and then shot at him while he was bicycling in McCormick County late Saturday.