Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

JACKSON DRAG STRIP was started approximately 50 years ago, and in all those years together they have not brought in $30 million. Get the picture?

TO THE PERSON WHO is having the dog-barking issue. No one "lets" a dog bark. God controls that. And although I hate that this is annoying to you, barking is what dogs do.

SOME OF THE COMMENTS in the Rants & Raves remind me of the fellow who saw two brains for sale. He asked why one of the brains was only $10 and the other one was $100. The reply was that one of them hasn't been used.

THE GEORGIA WAR Veterans Nursing Home is in dire financial straits. Meanwhile, Lucy C. Laney High School has just built a new football stadium. Is there something wrong with this situation? It just doesn't seem right.

I AM SO GLAD Bob Smith has started back wearing his glasses. He looks so much more sophisticated.

I WAS BASHING BUSH before bashing Bush was cool, but for some dim-witted, America-hating foreign leader to insult my president personally is just insane.

JUST WANT TO THANK YOU for the Spider-Man comic books in the Sunday paper. It brings back childhood memories for me when I couldn't wait for the Sunday paper to get the latest Brenda Starr paper dolls!

TOMMY PRICE IS RETIRING as Columbia County school superintendent because he's worn out all his brooms and has run out of rugs to sweep system problems under.

I AM A SOLDIER stationed at Fort Gordon. I have traveled all over the world during my 20-plus years of service, and Augusta is the most racist city I have ever lived in.

I SUBSCRIBE to The Chronicle and pay the bill; however, it is by protest. My husband doesn't think he can make it through the day if he can't read all the doom and gloom - particularly the Rants.

BEFORE THE CELL PHONE era, everyone managed to get along without them. Why can't all these government employees get their own and pay for it if they are that important? I have to pay for mine.

A DEFIANT RANT for the Columbia County sheriff's deputies who are driving while on their cell phones, and people are speeding, not using turn signals, and drifting from lane to lane.

HEYWARD JOHNSON, the director of Augusta Public Transit, needs to be replaced before privatizing or contracting out is done.

THIS IS A RAVE for the Columbia County school bus driver who found a kid walking by himself on East Robinson Avenue from his school, picked him up and drove him to his home. Thank you so much, and God bless you.

NOT A DAY GOES BY that you don't see rants in The Chronicle about how horrible Augusta's government is, but rants criticizing Columbia County's tax and spend government are never published.

I WANT TO PRAISE the sheriff's department for coming and picking one of the rounds of ammunition out of my house so nothing would happen if my house caught fire. Thank you.

THIS CITY IS FILTHY. The elected officials in other cities of similar size have already discovered the connection between grime and crime. Go after some of the slobs and you'll net some real criminals, too.

THIS IS A RAVE for those responsible for canceling the book and TV appearance related to O.J. Simpson. We don't need that trash in the media.

THIS IS A RANT to the person who does not understand what it means to preserve our heritage when it comes to hunting. The state of Georgia is overpopulated with deer. We can reduce the population through hunting, or with the front end of your car. The next time you pay for your car insurance, be sure to thank one of those Bubbas or Bubbettes for keeping your insurance low.

missyt66
missyt66 11/28/06 - 06:44 am
My family and I are all set

My family and I are all set to relocate to Augusta, however. I'm reading things that seem to imply that my decision is not a good one. Will someone tell me the pros and cons of living in Augusta. Crime is a great concern. I don't want to live in an area where I have to be concerned about someone kicking my door in. Your city is represented very well via the internet, however. I know that most things can't be revealed via the internet. Please email at pallar25@hotmail.com, I'd love to hear from you all.

Martinez
Martinez 11/28/06 - 07:07 am
Investigate the job market!

Investigate the job market! I live in Columbia County and love it. There are many pros and cons between Richmond and Columbia County but overall the entire CSRA area has its attractors. The biggest downfall I have found, coming from another area, is that jobs pay 1/2 if not less what they paid in Florida. Most employers will quickly tell you that the cost of living is less here but in reality, the differences are far less then 1/2 so just make sure you know your market, field and job specific information for the area before coming. I have been here since May and that is really the only complaint, concern or negative I have experienced.

stewartist
stewartist 11/28/06 - 08:40 am
TO THE PERSON who says

TO THE PERSON who says Augusta is a racist city, well my friend it's sad to say , but racism is everywhere and it comes from both sides. Whites toward blacks and vise versa, Asian, Jews, Hispanics, etc...Our Society is so screwed up. It's mostly on how we were raised. Hey! People , can you just take a step back and look at an individuals inside and overlook the outside. Life is to short for all this animosity. I quote this from a Beatles song "And in the End, the Love you take, is equal to the Love you make".

biscuit
biscuit 11/28/06 - 09:27 am
What is with all the talk

What is with all the talk about Lucy Laney getting a Stadium, where were you when Glenn Hills and Westside High Schools

stadiums were built. All the other high schools have Stadiums, are you saying Laney don't need a Stadium to call home, if so why?I am a proud graduate of Laney and last last time I checked, Laney was one of Richmond County High Schools and nothing was said about the other Schools having their own Stadium.Get over it.Parents of Laney student pay taxes everytime they spend,so as a tax payer,we too help pay for this stadium as well as the other stadiums, so the next time think before you point fingers.

jredneckgurl
jredneckgurl 11/28/06 - 09:35 am
I agree with the person who

I agree with the person who says that racism comes from inside a person.. not just from a city.. of course you also have to think about where this racism is coming from inside.. Its all a matter of how our children today are raised.. if you raise a child around racism they will be racist.

HGGP
HGGP 11/28/06 - 09:44 am
There are pro's and con's to

There are pro's and con's to living anywhere in or out of this great US of A. But what was instilled in me growing up and what I instill into my children is "It is not the people around you, it is the friends that surround you! " If you are careful of the company that you keep then 8 times out of 10 you are going to be just fine. There are always the things that happen on a fluke, but those can happen anywhere at anytime. I was born here and I have grown up here (30+ yrs) and any time something negative happened to me it was because of the company I was in. That was my choice and my fault. I do recommend Burke County over Richmond and Columbia counties, but that is preference. Please come and stay a while before you judge us on what you read in the rant's and raves. Most people that write here have little to do and a lot to complain about. If half of the people complaining would get off of their high horse and be proactive they would have less to complain about and more to do with the solution. We welcome you here and hope that you will grow to love the CSRA as much as we do. It takes more effort and muscles to frown than it does to smile so SMILE GOD LOVES YOU!

lonniesevier
lonniesevier 11/28/06 - 09:52 am
I am just Shocked and Awed

I am just Shocked and Awed that Ronnie Few isn't being considered for the Richmond County Superintendent of Schools position. After all, nine thousand voters can't be wrong.

peonynut
peonynut 11/28/06 - 10:05 am
If you graduated from Laney

If you graduated from Laney you need to go back and learn English and proper grammer.

elizaw
elizaw 11/28/06 - 10:27 am

Thank you Mamabear, I knew it had to be somepeople who's thinking level is like mine. Thank you for comment.

JXK
JXK 11/28/06 - 11:44 am
America Wake Up! It's sad

America Wake Up! It's sad that our memory is so short. Let us review.

September 1983, US embassy in Beirut attacked 83 killed.

October 1983, 241 Marines killed in Beirut truck bomb.

December 1988, Pan Am flight 103 bombed over Scotland, 249 killed.

February 1993, 1st World Trade Center attack, 6 killed over a thousand injured.

May 1996, Khobar Towers bombing, Saudi Arabia kills 19 service members.

August 1998, US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania bombed killing more than 250 and injuring more than 4000.

October 2000, The USS Cole attacked killing 17 Sailor and injuring 39.

September 11th 2001, World Trade Center destroyed, Pentagon attacked, a plane intended for the White House crashes in a field in PA. Total= 2973 dead!

All these attacks were orchestrated and conducted by the same people that we today are attempting to embrace as a nation. These people want nothing more than the total and absolute destruction of us as a Christian people and nation. There is no such thing as a moderate or a peace loving religion that is bent on the annihilation of everyone other than them selves. Get the picture?

pipeman03
pipeman03 11/28/06 - 12:59 pm
one thing I need to point out

one thing I need to point out GRAMMAR is spelled with an "A" not an "E"

Augustaman
Augustaman 11/28/06 - 01:37 pm
To the individual who

To the individual who commented about the Laney Walker stadium, you need to check yourself. Those kids need something to get them excited and give them pride. Honestly, I was negative about it until I come to a realization that they did not have a stadium for football and other sporting events. They deserve it just as much as Westlake and Greenbriar high schools would you not agree. Don't blame the kids for the negative behaviors it is not there fault and it is not every kid there. I know that you have bad kids at Westlake and Greenbriar along with the good ones. Believe me I know, I have dealt with them.

Augustaman
Augustaman 11/28/06 - 01:50 pm
I have been in Augusta for a

I have been in Augusta for a few years now and am embarassed by the people that have been here a long time. Shame on you for putting this city down and causing families from moving here. We live on a great city even though we have issues to deal with. Tell me of a city that is better that does not have its problems as well. You people are stupid. If it is so damn bad them leave and take the apatheic problem with you. Yes there is work that needs to be done but how can we accomplish these things when all every one spews out is trash. If we work together as a city toward a greater goal of reviving this great city and spend less time on BS such as those that want to blame others for their misfortunes rather than except responsibility for their own actions then we can make it a better place. Lets get out the asses that spend more time on personals agendas rather than the agenda of the city business (i.e. city cimmission) that will strive for over all improvement rather than a specific districts improvement. We cannot fulfill the objectives at hand if we put race, personal gain and dissatisfaction before all other things. Augusta is a great place lets make it better.

Chad
Chad 11/28/06 - 01:53 pm
JXK Well Said just one more

JXK Well Said just one more comment question? When did this society change from one of warriors to one of appeasers.

Augustaman
Augustaman 11/28/06 - 01:59 pm
To the person who suggested

To the person who suggested that Ronnie Few be considered for Richmond County School system. Are you out of you freaking mind. Who cares if he has 9000 votes. Do you think his track record is worthy enough to put him over the future of our country. Hell no, they deserve better than that. Mr. Few has proven his worth over the past several years and having him as superintendant is not a risk I would be willing to take. He is better off just staying quite. He has proven to be a shady character.

adrian22
adrian22 11/28/06 - 02:50 pm
Kudos to Augustaman and

Kudos to Augustaman and Pipeman03. To the comment about the stadium. Westside has not had a decent football field to host sporting events. I am almost 27 and there wasn't one when I graduated. So what its on Washington Rd. Do you really think that the school is that rich? All schools need money and the resources have to come from somewhere. I was glad when Laney got their gym and there should be talk of it throughout the city. It is a major accomplishment that may have not happened without the efforts of Dr. Charles Larke and many others. However, I did not see the same hooplah when our stadium went up. No one made a fuss. I think across the board, black, white, whoever-Richmond, Laney, Greenbriar, Evans High. They all could use the money, help, resources, volunteers, mentoring, time, patience, love. Those kids could use alot. What they don't need is a bunch of adults bickering over who got what when and who did not cheer one another on. Is that your only concern? Lets get our focus on the kids and how we can improve our city through equal practices for all and unity. We need to unite. Augusta is a great city and it can be better.

jredneckgurl
jredneckgurl 11/28/06 - 04:37 pm
I think it is great that

I think it is great that Laney is getting a stadium. I went to Evans and could not imagine never having our own gridiron to call home and call our turf. If the school board and the funding will allow build them that stadium. For all of you who do not think it should be built.. Wouldnt that just stink if your grandchildren or great grandchildren had to go to laney and didnt have the opportunity to play in a stadium like greenbriars or evans for that matter. You would feel pretty darn sick knowing you were one of those people who took that opportunity away from them.. SHAME ON YOU! Build that stadium and win many victories.

Augustaman
Augustaman 11/28/06 - 05:03 pm
Why are people in Augusta so

Why are people in Augusta so down on this city? They say Columbia county is far better so they move there. The way I see it is this. Columbia county is growing and the real estate is booming. That is great for homeowners I agree. However, if we are not going to stand together as a community and support a great man in Deke Copenhaver as our mayor and rally around him then we have issues. We voted this man as our mayor with a 63% decision. Lets not let the 37% talk down to us and tell us this great city of Augusta sucks. Lets work on those commissioners that only make decisions that will benefit them. Lets work on getting good people to represent us that are going to work for us regardless of the district they support. This drag strip is not the answer. The great golf tournament in April is going to help but it is only one month of the year. What about the other 11 months out of the year? Are we going to set back in a pool of apathy and let this happen? I don't think so. Come on you great people of Augusta, whether black, white, hispanic, asian or any other ethnic group lets stand as one community and work for the good of everyone in Augusta. We can do this!!!!!!!

homeaaaa
homeaaaa 11/28/06 - 05:15 pm
You get to meet Marion

You get to meet Marion Williams and he can show you around all the crime spots plus you can shop at Wal Mart on Deans Bridge Rd.

homeaaaa
homeaaaa 11/28/06 - 05:17 pm
" The only way to improve the

"

The only way to improve the Wal-Mart on Deans bridge rd is to shut it down long enough to let the gang of employees know that the public butters their bread not local politicians."

Augustaman
Augustaman 11/28/06 - 05:31 pm
KutBuddy, no offense but the

KutBuddy, no offense but the track will not make that much difference in Augusta. Yes we have hockey and golf, however the city pays nothing for it since they are both privately sponsered. If you paid attention the hockey team is owned by Ms. Hodges and the masters is sponsered by Augusta National. The only input the city has is on the appearance of Augusta. Do you not agree that Augusta has needs far more greater that six million dollars can be spent on? I can drive around town and immediately see where six million dollars can be better used to bring in revenue. After all the revenue is the ultimate goal. How about people in the business and private sectors pay their damn taxes. I am of the opinion that our city transportation, Sheriff's office and education needs six million dollars much much more. Our children need it, our city needs it and those that can't afford transportation need it. If our city commission could just understand that then there would not be this debate about race tracks. I honestly think the city has seen what happens to race tracks, don't you? The old Augusta motor speedway lasted how long???? Think about it. Jackson is not far away!!!!

shinnix
shinnix 11/28/06 - 06:29 pm
JKX, you said "...There is no

JKX, you said "...There is no such thing as a moderate or a peace loving religion that is bent on the annihilation of everyone other than them selves. " Put a period after "religion", throw the rest of the statement out, and you've got it. These ancient mythologies may have been relevant at the dawn of civilization, but now only serve to promote murder, discrimination, elitism, and retard our growth as a species. One day, mankind will look back incredulously at the belief systems of its ancestors and wonder how it avoided self-extinction.

elizaw
elizaw 11/28/06 - 07:48 pm
Augustmann, and some of the

Augustmann, and some of the others I love you too for your comment. I am originally not from Augusta, if people here only knew how Blessed we are. We can make CSRA a great place to live. CSRA has great potential to be one of the greatest city in the United States but we put this area down so much its awful. People thats complaining about this place, why don't you take the time and visit other major cities and their surrounding areas. We have it going on and you cannot even see it. Stop this, this side is better than the other mess. Start getting together and make it better for our kids. Education, places for our kids to be active in after school, weekends etc.... Crime will go up if we don't focus on this.

JXK
JXK 11/29/06 - 07:06 pm
America Wake Up! It's sad

America Wake Up! It's sad that our memory is so short. Let us review.

September 1983, US embassy in Beirut attacked 83 killed.

October 1983, 241 Marines killed in Beirut truck bomb.

December 1988, Pan Am flight 103 bombed over Scotland, 249 killed.

February 1993, 1st World Trade Center attack, 6 killed over a thousand injured.

May 1996, Khobar Towers bombing, Saudi Arabia kills 19 service members.

October 2000, The USS Cole attacked killing 17 Sailor and injuring 39.