Mosquito-borne virus found in horse near Savannah

Friday, Sept. 27, 2013 7:26 AM
Last updated Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Follow Health

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Health officials say a deadly mosquito-borne virus has been detected in a horse near Savannah.

The Chatham County Health Department says the horse tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis, which causes swelling of the brain and is fatal to horses in 70 to 90 percent of cases.

Health officials in say no human cases have been reported and it’s rare for people to get infected. But they say the horse infection is a reminder that mosquitoes can remain active in coastal Georgia during fall months.

The health department says horse owners should vaccinate their animals and coastal residents should continue to empty standing water from outdoor containers every few days to reduce breeding by mosquitoes.

Comments (1)

Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Little Lamb
40136
Points
Little Lamb 09/27/13 - 09:59 pm
0
0

Dog Bites Man

Isn't this normal? Isn't this to be expected? A disease called equine encephalitis has been detected in a horse! Stop the presses!

Back to Top

Loading...