Health Care

More | | | Editor

BreathEasy Augusta holds rally downtown

Hot dogs took the place of cigarettes as a group played host to a rally Friday evening at Joe’s Underground Cafe, a downtown bar that went smoke-free in January.

BreathEasy Augusta, which has been active for more than two years, took advantage of the First Friday patrons with empty stomachs in an effort to educate local residents on a proposal for a stricter smoking ordinance.

“We really just want to get together, share information, be supportive and answer questions if we can,” said group Chairwoman Jen­nifer Anderson.

Volunteers handed out fliers detailing the risks of smoking in bars and discussed the group’s proposed ordinance, which would ban smoking in all workplaces, including bars.

The rally, which featured food, free T-shirts for future volunteers and live music, attracted handfuls of supporters.

Rudy Nyhoff, of North Augusta, said he supports the ordinance for personal reasons.
“It’s because of my son’s exposure to tobacco smoke,” said Nyhoff, whose son works at The Soul Bar in downtown Augusta.

Joe’s Underground Cafe owner Jeremy LaFontaine said his connection to the coalition was “symbiotic.”

“I enjoy working with them,” he said. “We have a lot of the same ideas.”

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 06/07/13 - 10:07 pm
Tobacco

Tobacco has done more harm to the US than Obama, of course he has not had as much time. If anyone had a container that was marked "warning, contains nicotine" and sprayed it around town, I hope that person would soon be in jail. Well, that is already on every pack of death sold in stores.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/07/13 - 10:42 pm
Nicotine

The nicotine in cigarette smoke is harmless. Many nutritionists consider it healthful, under the correct conditions. The harmful ingredients in tobacco smoke are the tars and particulates.

These BreathEasy zealots are so rabid that they want to ban E-cigarettes, even though the vapors emitted from E-cigarettes are harmless.

There is no reasoning with a zealot, for whom science holds no sway. Ms. Jennifer Anderson is one such zealot.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/07/13 - 10:54 pm
First they came for the Jews . . .

. . . but I said nothing because I was not a Jew.

First, these anti-smoking zealots came for the hospitals.

Next, they came for the airplanes, trains, and buses.

Next, they came for the schools, because it was for the chi - i - il - dren.

Next, they came for government buildings — followed by privately-owned workplaces.

Next, they came for the restaurants.

Now, they come for the bars.

Are they finished? Not on your life.

You will see (New York City is the forerunner) that they will seek to ban smoking in open outdoor places where two or three are gathered.

It's kind of like the Boy Scout conundrum or homosexual marriage. They are never satisfied until they take away your last vestige of freedom of association.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chip away the First Amendment; then chip away the Second Amendment. Pretty soon you've got no liberty left.

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/07/13 - 11:03 pm
So here's the deal:

Don't smoke if you don't want to.
But don't interfere with my right to smoke if I want to.
This is America.
(And, no, I don't smoke -- I used to smoke heavily but gave it up 30 years ago. But I still cherish the RIGHT to do so if I want to).

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/07/13 - 11:40 pm
""warning, contains nicotine"

""warning, contains nicotine" and sprayed it around town, I hope that person would soon be in jail."

Oh, now oldredneck want's to jail people who use nicotine....a NON-carcinogenic.

I guess next he will be coming after your CAFFEINE.

I do hope there was lots of rain and lightning for the cookout.

thauch12
thauch12 06/08/13 - 12:43 am
^^^Non-sequitur arguments^^^

I see absolutely no reason why smoking should NOT be banned INSIDE Augusta bars (do whatever you want on the patio/outside). They did it in Atlanta a couple of years ago and things have never been better. In fact, I hate going to downtown Augusta for this very reason (not to mention being hassled by "Richmond County's finest" aka Operation Rolling Thunder waiting on Riverwatch Parkway).

Say what you want about a person's "right" to smoke (something I personally don't have a problem with), but what happened to my right to not come home reeking of cigarettes? I would understand if we were talking about cigar bars or hookah lounges where people explicitly go to smoke, but we're talking about bars where people go to socialize and drink.

Furthermore, what about the detrimental effects to my own health? All you have to do is Google "secondhand smoke" and a plethora of sources including the CDC, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, etc. will all tell you that this sidestream secondhand smoke is bad for you, causing asthma, lung cancer, etc. Where are my personal liberties now?

To take a page from Dixieman's book, don't interfere with my right to enjoy downtown nightlife/the rest of my life! I don't think it is really asking that much for people to smoke outside...good luck to the BreathEasy campaign!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/08/13 - 07:05 am
Right?

thauch12 asked:

. . . what happened to my right to not come home reeking of cigarettes?

Somehow, I don't think the signers had that one in mind when they signed the letter to the king about pursuit of happiness.

justthefacts
20454
justthefacts 06/08/13 - 07:04 am
There it is.

thauch hates that his right to drive peacefully down the road is taken away, but doesn't mind if someone's right to smoke is.
"You crusaders don't realize what you are doing. One day THEY will come after something YOU like. Don't be looking for any sympathy." Dichotomy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/13 - 09:33 am
Oh lordy

When will it stop...

Is coffee next---or cakes/pies----give an inch & take a mile....I never thought they could regulate cola drinks buut they are in some places.....will we have a laser sight checking inside the home (through the walls) to see if some are smoking....GEEZ..

How much jail time will a smoker get....probably more than a punk on riverwalk..

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/08/13 - 09:40 am
The Maltese Falcon

I watched the old movie, The Maltese Falcon, on Turner Classic last night and was stunned at all the smoking. EVERYONE, man and woman, is smoking a cigarette all the time. They smoked in every place you can imagine. You can catch lung cancer just watching the old movies. It just shows how times have changed and people are limited in where they smoke.

dashiel
dashiel 06/08/13 - 11:07 am
Social (and/or Solitary) Pressure

I only crave a cigarette when I'm alone or with other people.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/08/13 - 11:16 am
They are no different than

They are no different than the ant-gay marriage zealots and anti-abortion zealots. I appreciate their freedom to protests but that shouldn't trump others freedom to smoke. So I encourage all the smokers to take to the streets and form a smoke-in rally across from the Breatheasy. I love America. LOL>

Tots
Tots 06/08/13 - 03:01 pm
It's kind of funny,

They are having hot dogs take the place of cigarettes.. I've read and seen many statements/comments saying hot dogs are just as bad to your health as cigarettes....

Eating processed meats increases your risk for colorectal cancer,they are packed full of sodium and so many other nasty things.. P.S. I still eat them only not as much or as often and i try to always get the kind that says no artificial preservatives... Not much i can do about all the bad things i ate or fed to my kids,but i'm trying to do better with my grandson..... God is Good,we live,learn and pass on.

jerryv31
jerryv31 06/08/13 - 03:18 pm
First Friday

Whether you agree with their views or not, you have to be impressed with their bravery by coming to First Friday. Surprised no one beat them up and stole their fliers.

susanrcp
susanrcp 06/08/13 - 05:38 pm
Just don't Get it!

Most of you just don't get it! You want to smoke and kill yourself? Fine! But don't take me with you! No one is trying to take away your "Right" to smoke. They are just trying to keep smoking out of public places where your smokey air will drift into my clean air space. People ask what's next, coffee, cakes, or pies? Well, you drinking coffee or eating cakes and pies does not interfere with MY health! Breath Easy Augusta is trying to fight something that other people do that affects more people than just the person doing it. If indulging in coffee, cakes, or pies by one person affected the health and well-being of the people around that person, then YES, absolutely, I would be all for fighting that battle as well. Once again, no one is saying they want to take away your right to smoke. They are simply saying they want the "Right" to breathe clean air.

thauch12
thauch12 06/08/13 - 08:47 pm
Amen susan! As usual, our

Amen susan!

As usual, our "learned constitutional law experts" (sarcasm intended) are quick to throw out pointless claims about hot dogs, coffee, and driving because they quite simply do not have facts to combat the fact that secondhand smoke is detrimental to other people's health.

Noone is saying ban smoking all together, just don't do it inside. It's really not asking all that much...

KSL
122040
KSL 06/08/13 - 09:31 pm
Susan, who forces you into

Susan, who forces you into places that allow smoking? As many have said, the free market will determine.

We don't smoke either, by the way. Both I and my husband grew up around smoking parents. Including cars with windows rolled up. Neither of us have suffered long term consequences. And all eventually gave up the habit.

KSL
122040
KSL 06/08/13 - 09:38 pm
thauch

Until they demand that you don't do it inside your cars or homes. Get a clue, they are currently demanding that law abiding citizens not own certain types of weapons and magazines since they deem them not necessary.

KSL
122040
KSL 06/08/13 - 09:43 pm
Perhaps we should demand

Perhaps we should demand that none of our taxpayer paid for dollars should be uploaded to EBT cards of overweight moms. Afterall, if they aren't eating right, how do we know tbey are feeding their offspring right?

susanrcp
susanrcp 06/08/13 - 09:45 pm
You aren't the only one with "Rights"

I see that a few people didn't like what I had to say because they think I am stepping on their "Rights"! Well, guess what, you aren't the only one with "Rights"! I have Rights, too. I have the right to breathe clean air... I have the right to go into any establishment without having to suck up someone elses cigarette smoke... I have the right to try to protect the health of my children... I have the right to work any place I can find a job! And sometimes the only place available is in a bar... I have the right to be healthy and not die an agonizing death because someone else wanted to exercise their right to blow smoke in my face... And all you want is the right to smoke a cigarette inside a contained area with other non-smokers just because you don't want to walk outside. Yeah, that seems fair. Me or my loved ones get to die because you don't want to walk outside. I tell ya what, keep fighting for the right to kill the people around you. Sooner or later it's gonna slap you in the face. When you have a loved one who gets sick because you smoked around them or worse dies, I hope you let them know you had the right to kill them! No matter how much you sugar coat it, complain, and whine about having the right to smoke where ever you want, bottom line is someone is going to have their health affected all because of you! I hope you think about all the comments you post when someone close to you dies because of someone elses cigarette smoke. The truth is the truth whether you like it or not.

thauch12
thauch12 06/08/13 - 10:29 pm
All pot shots aside, noone

All pot shots aside, noone has actually presented any evidence (backed by data not conjecture) that secondhand smoke is harmless. Regardless of EBT or weapons (both of which have absolutely nothing to do with the conversation at hand btw), this is a quite simply a matter of public health. We, as citizens, have the right to breathe clean air (as mandated by the EPA) and a ban on indoor smoking is naturally in line with this.

Btw, there ARE long-term consequences to smoking/secondhand smoke. Note that doesn't necessarily mean lung cancer, but there are all kinds of ailments that are caused by smoking (COPD, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, etc.). Don't think that because there are no outward signs that all is well! Ask any doctor and they will tell you this much.

KSL
122040
KSL 06/08/13 - 10:40 pm
Keep in mind, they are using

Keep in mind, they are using up electricity and depreciating equipment provided by the store.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/09/13 - 10:55 am
Negativity

thauch12 posted:

. . . noone has actually presented any evidence (backed by data not conjecture) that secondhand smoke is harmless.

You cannot prove a negative.

Also, this:

Noone is saying ban smoking all together, just don't do it inside.

Yes, some are lobbying to ban smoking outside on property owned by government.

thauch12
thauch12 06/09/13 - 02:12 pm
Little Lamb, your attempt to

Little Lamb, your attempt to be philosophical fails miserably. You can in fact find that data is significant in which case it supports your hypothesis or it is insignificant in which case it "fails to support" your claim. Semantics aside, the statistics could show that second hand smoke is harmless. Unfortunately it does not.

And my second comment you chose to take out of context refers to this forum. I can't really speak for what your unnamed "some" want.

marylou22
marylou22 06/09/13 - 02:18 pm
smoking

ban all cig sales pay the tax burden that's no longer there on to all crying about cig smoke listen to the squalling then we all no smokings bad the big cry ay first was and still is health issues yet you exempt private clubs little to PHONY for me