University Hospital raises rates, sets 2013 budget

University Hospital patients will be paying higher bills in 2013.

The five interlocking boards that oversee University’s operations met Thursday to set budgets and approve changes for next year. For the first time in four years, charges for all hospital services are rising. Room and board charges will increase 3.5 percent, and all other services, including lab work, X-rays, pharmacy and rehabilitation, will rise 7 percent.

“We were the lowest-priced hospital (in the area), and with this increase we are still in the lower 50th percentile,” Chief Financial Officer Dave Belkoski said. “We didn’t want to be the least expensive, and we didn’t want to be the most expensive.”

In the 2013 budget, University Health Inc., which oversees all the other boards, is looking for $5.1 million in operational revenue, compared with a loss of $184,000 at the close of this year. It also set a $21.6 million capital budget.

University Hospital revenue is projected to increase $5.3 million next year. Income from operations is estimated at $17 million, up from $15 million this year, while expenses increase from $358 million to $362 million.

Projections are based on 350 new surgical cases and 50 additional births in addition to a loss of about $9 million in reimbursements. About $6 million will be spent to support a new computer system called Epic, which was implemented Dec. 1.

University Hospital McDuffie, which was called McDuffie Regional Medical Center before it was acquired by University Hospital this year, is hoping to break even, a significant improvement after several years of losses, hospital leaders said.

tanbaby
tanbaby 12/20/12 - 07:49 pm
what a surprise.....

what a surprise.....

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/20/12 - 08:21 pm
“We didn’t want to be the

“We didn’t want to be the least expensive, and we didn’t want to be the most expensive.”....uh, say what?? What about what the PATIENTS want??? Aren't the PATIENTS what keep the hospital doors open?? Sorry, but irresponsible comments like this do not lend itself to anyone being loyal to the services at University Hospital. Well, I say his comments are irresponsible...actually they are ONLY responsible to UH's interests, which are money-money-money! If you have to go to the hospital, do yourself a favor and shop around. Seriously, find out what hospitals your physician/surgeon can go to and find out how much the procedure costs from the hospital's financial office. It's your right.
And make sure you do NOT just take the word of your physician/surgeon on where to go....remember, they get paid by the hospitals for bringing in patients, so their advice may very well be compromised.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 12/20/12 - 08:48 pm
Well JMO, if that is the

Well JMO, if that is the case, then you definitely don't want to visit Trinity, since they are partially OWNED by a group of local physicians. To be honest, University provided $19 million worth of care to indigent and under insured. If they are going to lose $9 million next year, because of ObamaCare, the indigent keep coming, so where should the money come from? And don't forget the State Hospital Tax that University has to pay, but MCG does not. All hospitals in Georgia pay the tax except MCG, since they get State funds. Have you had a raise in the past four years ? Just askin'...

Isthatright
Isthatright 12/20/12 - 09:37 pm
50 more delievers ...really

Wonder where those 50 people are coming from? After delivering only one child there, I can say that UH is behind the times with outdated childbirth options. Don't go if you want to have a say in anything that happens to you or your baby while there. My normal newborn was taken away from me for hours because that was their routine..I was not able to keep my baby or breastfeed as soon as I desired...was a disapointment
I admit that was my fault for not investigating well when moving to the area... I went where someone suggested and not where was the best fit for me...take some advice and tour around !!!
I had to change OB's but my second delivery in Augusta was an unforgettable experience and it WAS NOT at UH!!!!!

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 12/20/12 - 11:12 pm
MarinerMan

I can say I have not had a pay raise in 4 years. In fact I took a pay cut of 8 % on top of that my health insurance has gone up by $10.00 a every paycheck for the last 3 years. Plus the fiscal cliff more tax money will be taken out of my check. So I do not feel the pain that UH has considering they have made a profit for several years and will make more next year. I will not go to UH from here on out. Will spend my dollars at Doctors.

gargoyle
gargoyle 12/21/12 - 12:22 am
MY wife, my mother and I have

MY wife, my mother and I have had better service from Trinity than any other hospital in the area . In fact I pay extra since they are not a prefered provider in my insurance plan. Ownership is not the deciding factor to me service is.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/21/12 - 05:47 am
I have a pretty large family

I have a pretty large family and circle of friends, so there always seems to be someone I know in the hospital...so I think I've heard good and bad stories from every hospital. For every "she almost died there!" story, I've heard probably 2 "they saved her life!" stories from each hospital. The problem, to me, is not the level of care so much as the COSTS. (And Mariner, sorry to hear about the problem with your wife, but isn't having 2 days in ICU NOT being charged to you a GOOD thing?) And don't kid yourself about the hospitals not getting something from indigent care...they do get some monies from the federal and state funds because they have to. And I know of a surgeon that worked primarily at one hospital that was told he HAD to bring more of his patients to Trinity if he expected any of Trinity's doctors (direct shareholders) to refer their patients to him! Sounds alittle like blackmail, doesn't it?? Oh, well. Good luck to all wherever you go.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/21/12 - 06:49 am
Yep

That Obama Care sure is lowering Health Care costs.
My Insurer warned last week of doubling Rates in 2013-2014 as more of Obama-care kicks in and more taxes are layered on the industry.

Another classic example of the Socialists charging head-long into a situation with an agenda, without understanding the problem they are
addressing.

Remember THEY started this whole mess, whining it was to insure the 15 million that were not insured and to bring the costs down?

President Obama admitted in a recent press conf. that between 15 and 25 million still will not be insured by Obama Care. So what was the real reason it was passed by the Dim's Congress & shoved down our throats without reading it?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/21/12 - 07:01 am
OC

"President Obama admitted in a recent press conf. that between 15 and 25 million still will not be insured by Obama Care"

Could he be referring to those that have been exempt from Hammer & Sickle Man Care.

stillremns
stillremns 12/21/12 - 10:46 am
"To be honest, University

"To be honest, University provided $19 million worth of care to indigent and under insured. If they are going to lose $9 million next year, because of ObamaCare, the indigent keep coming, so where should the money come from?"

GHSU gets indigent patients EVERY single day from UH that are sent to our ER or clinics. I see them EVERY day. "University (staff) said I should come here" Not sure how you came about your figures (19 million, really?), but just like any other for profit corporation they are billing those indigent and under insured patients.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/21/12 - 03:35 pm
University used to be a

University used to be a locally controlled hospital before it was wrested into the hands of that corporation...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/21/12 - 06:35 pm
Iceberg

This is just the beginning. Obamacare has started an upward spiral in healthcare charges and health insurance premiums. Bend over.