Education

More News | |

Azziz nominated but not interested in Florida job, official says

Georgia Health Sciences University President Ricardo Azziz is on a long list of people nominated to be the next president of the University of Florida but he has no interest in the job and will not pursue it, a university official said Wednesday.

According to a list provided by the University of Florida, Azziz is among three dozen names submitted so far, which also includes former Florida and current University of South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier.

“Anyone can nominate anyone else for consideration during the search,” Director of Public Affairs Janine Sikes said in an email. It could be as simple as sending a name to the general presidential email address or the search firm or having a conversation with one of the search committee members, she wrote.

“Being on the list does not indicate the person has expressed interest in the position,” Sikes wrote. “And people on the list should not be considered candidates since they have not applied for the job. The process has only just begun and is likely to take months. It could be at least that long before we have candidates/applicants for the position.”

Azziz does not know who nominated him but he does have colleagues in Florida and he recently spoke at a white coat ceremony at one of Florida’s medical schools, said David Brond, senior vice president of communications and marketing at GHSU.

“He’s honored a colleague would think to nominate him,” he said. “He has expressed no interest in wanting the position and he’s not intending to pursue the opportunity.”

Some in Augusta have openly questioned whether Azziz, who arrived in July 2010, had been brought in to make major changes like the current consolidation of GHSU and Augusta State University before then moving onto another opportunity. But Brond said a look at Azziz’s career shows that is not the case at all.

“He stays at places. He’s a finisher,” Brond said. “He’s still got work to do here. He is in the midst of a major consolidation that is going to do something that has not been done in many places before.”

University of Florida nominees

These are nominees from third parties. Anyone may suggest a person for consideration in the search.

1. Azziz, Ricardo
35. White, Timothy
36. Zoltewicz, John

Source: Greenwood/Asher & Associates

my.voice
my.voice 09/12/12 - 03:54 pm
Dear Universoty of Florida

Dear Universoty of Florida (AKA FRU)
We whole heartedly recommend Ole Ricardo for your presidents job. If yu will take him, WE will pay his first year's salary.

Sincerely,

The Population of the City of Augusta

Tullie
Tullie 09/12/12 - 03:57 pm
FRU

LOL..that is so hilarious..made my day :)

Riverman1
82090
Riverman1 09/12/12 - 03:59 pm
"He’s still got work to do

"He’s still got work to do here."

That's what we're afraid of.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/12/12 - 04:02 pm
Nomination

Azziz thinks it was a colleague who nominated him. In reality it was a group of us posters on this web site.

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/12/12 - 04:16 pm
Hoping for change. I am

Hoping for change.

I am already drafting my letter of recommendation to send down to Florida.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/12/12 - 04:19 pm
Let's circulate a

Let's circulate a petition.....

agrit
agrit 09/12/12 - 04:20 pm
UAB

I think UAB's president has resigned too. In just a short while, I bet a search will start for that position.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/12/12 - 04:21 pm
McKee

I hope Rick McKee reads this thread. Then I hope he will go back into his archives and finds the great cartoon he drew about Bob Young writing a letter to Washington, D.C. city officials recommending Ronnie Few to be their fire chief. I wish he would post a link to it here.

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/12/12 - 05:00 pm
Perhaps we can dust off

Perhaps we can dust off Chiquita Johnson's recommendation letter and change the name.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 09/12/12 - 05:01 pm
The peanut gallery

Maybe if Azziz follows the advice offered to him on this thread and goes, he'll also take some other advice of these same vocal "Chronicle" posters with him.

Maybe he'll change the name of the college from "the University of Florida" to the "University of Gainesville".

How stupid would that be? Yet that's what most of you want to do to GHSU. Eliminate the "Georgia" angle and give it the name of a small town university.

*......shaking head........*

Tullie
Tullie 09/12/12 - 05:23 pm
I know..

we can do a survey..what do ya'll think? Then we can send it to the BOR.

I'll make a memo..get on that right away, first thing in the morning.

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 09/12/12 - 06:02 pm
It's funny that these posts,

It's funny that these posts, and most other anti azziz posts get that sole thumbs down. Either a kisser or azeeeez himself I presume. Im gonna get the jump and go ahead and thumb down this post before the lone supporter of the azeeeez gets to.

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/12/12 - 06:28 pm
"He's a finisher"

"He's a finisher and we're finished"

henrystripe
henrystripe 09/12/12 - 06:34 pm
Augusta Career Services . . . now open!!!

I agree . . . this IS hilarious. I have a sneaking suspicion Dr. Azziz is now going to have an entire population of amateur career counselors scouting out possible positions for him in higher education.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/12/12 - 06:53 pm
Was this a inventive way to rid us of a problem?

if it was, keep those nominations coming ;-)

But alas, we all know once he says No, he can't change his mind to do the right thing on anything.

jmo
jmo 09/12/12 - 06:59 pm
Gator

He already has the gator personality (disposition).

gaptomom
gaptomom 09/12/12 - 07:09 pm
UGA

Perhaps he would be interested in going to UGA since they are searching for a new president. The way things are going the medical school will be there totally in the not too distant future or they will have started their own and what's left of MCG will only be able to recruit the students who don't mind coming to "uncool" Augusta.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/12/12 - 07:32 pm
For Azziz to truly believe

For Azziz to truly believe that one of his colleagues thought enough of him to nominate him is just another sign of the pompous, arrogant mindset that this joker has of himself! And usually when someone says that they're not interested in something like this, it's because he knows he has no chance in getting it! I wish he would become a Gator...then everyone in Augusta would know what it's like to be a "Gator Hater"!

KSL
KSL 09/12/12 - 08:22 pm
JMO, you are way too eaten

JMO, you are way too eaten up with UGA sports opponenents. As I stated the other day, I agree with you just about all of the time on subjects except when you are on your precious dogs. Your devotion to the dogs is worse than that of my brother-in-law's and one of my nephew's.

Just4Him
Just4Him 09/12/12 - 08:52 pm
Please, please please go!

WHy won't he just leave us alone and go somewhere else, and why would nayone want him. He is arrogant and I still believe there is some underhandedness going on here. he has way way too much power in Augusta for not being from here. Please go Azziz and leave Augusta alone, we were just fine without you!

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/12/12 - 09:17 pm
What if we told him it was

What if we told him it was Florida International Cool University?

showboat
showboat 09/12/12 - 09:34 pm
PLEASE GO GO GO TO FLA.

PLEASE GO GO GO TO FLA.

rebellious
20569
rebellious 09/12/12 - 09:58 pm
Dr Azziz

Is one of the best things to ever, I repeat Ever, happen to MCG and ASU. He has single handedly masterminded the efforts to consolidate these two dissimilar institutions into a congruent educational institution unlike any ever seen in Georgia. In his forward looking insight, he has recognized the need for a name for this newly merged educational conglomerate which transcends local and local attachment, and propels the new monolith into a Nationally recognized school of recognition.

While Augusta would keenly feel the loss of such a visionary leader, I commend the University of Florida in the fine tuning they have obviously used in their narrowing of the search to these remaining 30 applicants. If UF chooses Dr Azziz, we will feel the effects immediately, but will hold no hard feelings whatsoever. A good man is hard to find,

justputtin
justputtin 09/12/12 - 10:32 pm
Wow, I need boots for that post

Long, waterproof boots. Good luck getting this job mr. Assiz. Don't go away mad.......

jrsc429
jrsc429 09/12/12 - 11:02 pm
if ricky ricardo aka ricardo

if ricky ricardo aka ricardo azziz takes the florida job, just think of what he would recommend their new name would be.

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 09/13/12 - 12:14 am
justputtin, I agree...where

justputtin, I agree...where is the barf bag.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/13/12 - 04:57 am
KSL, you gotta give me time.

KSL, you gotta give me time. The other day, I posted that I was going to try to do better when it came to writing against...um, I mean ABOUT Georgia Tech. So, see...I'm trying! One school at a time. Actually, to be totally honest with you, I don't HATE any of them. It's all in good-natured pickin'. In my line of work, I'm not capable of actually hating or blatantly disrespecting any group. And I've got friends who are Gators, Gamecocks, Tigers, Bama-whatevers, Yellow Jackets....bless their hearts! But thanks for your comment because it'll make me more aware next time.

Ruckus
Ruckus 09/13/12 - 05:04 am
AZZIZ

I think he AZZIZ is from another planet and has plans for world domination. I guess Augusta was 1st on his list and next he'll be running for president of the USA.

Butterbean
Butterbean 09/13/12 - 06:14 am
THE INTERVIEW QUESTION

The interview question to ask on a presidential search is this one: "Will this institution, or the institution that you are leaving, be better served if you get this job?" Think about the possible response for the Azziz candidate. I, too, am going to recommend him for every position that I can find - outside of Augusta and Georgia, too.

wordwright
wordwright 09/13/12 - 06:39 am
my.voice

You captured the sentiments of most of us perfectly.