Friday meeting could be more than downtown stadium, Azziz says

A long-planned meeting Friday between Georgia Health Sciences University officials and those wanting to develop the former Georgia Golf Hall of Fame site could potentially be about more than just that property, GHSU President Ricardo Azziz said.

But a new facility there is “not out of the question,” he said.

The meeting with Jacoby Development and officials with Ripken Baseball and others was arranged by City Administrator Fred Russell weeks ago, Azziz said. Since then, the University System of Georgia Board of Regents has asked the state to transfer the 16-acre riverfront property to GHSU, which is merging with Augusta State University to form a new research university.

Approval is still pending in the Georgia General Assembly and until then not much can be done, Azziz said.

“This is a meeting that has been there on the books for a while,” he said. “I think we are still interested in hearing what proposals there might be. We’ve not closed down any options.”

That includes a multi-use facility that could be a new downtown baseball stadium for the Ripken-owned Augusta GreenJackets, as has been proposed in the past by the developers. Azziz had not previously been very enthusiastic about the idea but that might be changing as he looks toward the merger with ASU.

“At this point we are going to be a totally new university with an athletic program,” he said. “Certainly having a multi-use facility there is not out of the question.”

But Azziz said he needs to learn more about it and hopes the talks are not just centered on those single projects.

“I am hoping that the conversation is broader than just a discussion of one piece of property,” he said. “There are many, many pieces of property in Augusta and there’s many, many opportunities to develop these types of collaborations to move forward.”

omnomnom
omnomnom 03/20/12 - 07:26 pm
OK. as long as the ARC

OK. as long as the ARC doesn't get saddled with the financing/ownership /maintenance costs... they can build the Ripken/Jacoby institute of baseball/shopping wherever. the city can't afford another white elephant.

Pu239
Pu239 03/20/12 - 07:28 pm
Are we back to this

Are we back to this AGAIN????

Shades of Stewie Griffin....

countyman
countyman 03/20/12 - 07:41 pm
The local government has

The local government has nothing to do with the project... The only thing they could do is move the fire station across the street to help expand the 17 acres.. The land belongs to the state of GA, and the land is being transferred to GHSU..

Tons of high paying jobs, additional foot traffic, denser urban area, higher use of public transportation, vibrant downtown, etc equals new retail, restaurants, grocery stores downtown.. Definitely not anywhere close to being an white elephant project..

Pu239
Pu239 03/20/12 - 07:47 pm
Why countyman....I can't

Why countyman....I can't believe you are so subdued in your support...

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/20/12 - 09:08 pm
"Tons of high paying jobs,

"Tons of high paying jobs, additional foot traffic, denser urban area, higher use of public transportation, vibrant downtown, etc equals new retail, restaurants, grocery stores downtown".....countyman, don't you realize what all this means??? MORE LIGHT POLLUTION!! Are we REALLY ready for that?? ;)

Insider Information
Insider Information 03/20/12 - 10:08 pm
What could the city

What could the city accomplish if it was as focused on crime, education, ________ (insert problem here) as it is focused on a downtown baseball stadium?

twolane
twolane 03/20/12 - 10:38 pm
told you they were gonna get

told you they were gonna get that stadium one way or the other suckers and you folks will be paying for it...gosh i love columbia county richmond county is run like a corrupt chicago suburb

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 03/20/12 - 11:35 pm
Just like the TEE center the

Just like the TEE center the tax payer will get stuck...Wanna bet on it?

Techfan
Techfan 03/21/12 - 05:52 am
Dang, and I thought I was

Dang, and I thought I was joking about the med school/college/baseball stadium all in one the other day.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 03/21/12 - 07:14 am
Any politician that pushes

Any politician that pushes for a county built baseball stadium will find it is an albatross before it turns into a white elephant. Stop spending my money. How many conventions have been booked for the TEE Center?

Insider Information
Insider Information 03/21/12 - 07:52 am
Looks like my prediction is

Looks like my prediction is coming true...

If MCG builds Copenhaver Stadium, it will only take a vote from the Board of Regents.

If that happens, there will be no public input and no vote put to the public as I predicted.

With regards to public funding, the stadium is a bad idea regardless if it county tax dollars or state tax dollars. It's time for Cal to put up or shut up.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/21/12 - 08:07 am
That is scary, Insider.

That is scary, Insider.

twolane
twolane 03/21/12 - 08:59 am
well you got the tee center

well you got the tee center and richmond county got taken to the bank on that one itll happen with this also and theres nothing thats gonna stop it so fork over that tax money you didnt have a choice before and you arent gonna have a choice in this either...a stadium is the ONLY way they will ever and i mean ever come close to breaking even on that fiasco....the tee center will never bring in enough business for that pretty little parking garage

countyman
countyman 03/21/12 - 10:22 am
DuhJudge.. The overwhelmingly

DuhJudge.. The overwhelmingly majority of voters in RC approved the TEE Center.. They wanted their money to be spent on the project.. Secondly an project between GHSU, ASU, Jim Jacoby, and Cal Ripken has nothing to do with your money..

I think the TEE Center is up to five conventions booked, and it opens later this year..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/21/12 - 10:39 am
Excuse me, but GHSU and ASU

Excuse me, but GHSU and ASU receive large amounts of the state taxes I pay.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 03/21/12 - 11:07 am
I believe that 6% of my

I believe that 6% of my income makes it "my money." And the $100000 in county property taxes that I pay makes it "my money." Now I don't want anyone to tell me to stop complaining about the way my hard earned money gets spent. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make money in this economy for it to be taken from me and wasted on projects and jobs that don't do a thing for me? I don't own a team and I don't play baseball. But no one is proposing to build anything for me to run. It is wrong and you will never be able to make a reasonable argument justifying the wasting of "my money." Five conventions? Someone better get busy.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 03/21/12 - 11:52 am
This coming from a non

This coming from a non property owner....of course countyman is for it it costs him nothing..the voters did not vote for the TEE center as it is now...double the price...ARC is well known for shafting the taxpayers while the same blue bloods keep raking it in.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/21/12 - 12:02 pm
If you go back and read Tom

If you go back and read Tom Corwin's article carefully and slowly, you realize that there is no news there. It is a puff piece about nothing.

Insider Information
Insider Information 03/21/12 - 12:18 pm
countyman, since when are MCG

countyman, since when are MCG and ASU private (i.e. non-tax funded) schools?

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 03/21/12 - 12:20 pm
There is one piece of news.

There is one piece of news. Well, sort of. A meeting will take place on Friday. That's it. However, that's been on the books for a long time so it's not really news.

The rest of you................just shut up and drink the "Countyman Kool Aid", OK?

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 03/21/12 - 01:10 pm
countyman, you know voters

countyman, you know voters didn't approve the tee center beyond twenty million. how much did it end up costing us? and i don't think the parkin deck was voted on at all.

David Parker
David Parker 03/21/12 - 02:15 pm
I hear something about a

I hear something about a private commercial developer should come in and build something with their own money. Oooh nice.

I hear other stuff about tax-payers opposed to spending their money toward building something there.

So, is there anybody within earshot that thinks it realistic that someone will step forward and invest that kind of money to build on land that they cannot own?

just fire at will at that.

omnomnom
omnomnom 03/21/12 - 04:28 pm
"Tons of high paying jobs,

"Tons of high paying jobs, additional foot traffic, denser urban area, higher use of public transportation, vibrant downtown, etc equals new retail, restaurants..." sounds eerily similar to promises made regarding the construction of Port Royal. Now that I think on it, we all know what a success that place was. My apologies Countyman.

omnomnom
omnomnom 03/21/12 - 04:32 pm
higher gas prices in the

higher gas prices in the coming years (maybe months if we or Israel do something silly with Iran) will cause the gravitation of people to centralized location like downtown. A baseball stadium is unnecessary for that reason. "The meeting with Jacoby Development and officials with Ripken Baseball and others was arranged by City Administrator Fred Russell weeks ago" - above article. "Local government has nothing to do with this project" - Countyman.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/21/12 - 05:17 pm
When I read your first

When I read your first sentence, I envisioned a concentration camp on the GGHoF property (wouldn't that serpentine fence be a great security feature?). But when I read the rest of your post I wanted to high-five you. I proudly award you the first "thumbs up" on you comment.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/23/12 - 10:28 am
It is scary that this meeting

It is scary that this meeting is in progress right now. Hold on to your wallets.

Defendant acquitted of top charges at rape trial
After less than two hours of deliberations, the jury acquitted Christopher Davis of rape and aggravated sodomy, convicting him only of aggravated assault, possession of a knife during the ...