Health Care

More | | | Editor

Report says repeal would be harmful to Georgians

Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives are vowing to repeal what they call the "Job-Killing Health Care Law" by wiping out the legislation enacted last year.

A Georgia advocacy group, however, argues that doing so would cost people in a number of ways -- from allowing insurance companies to continue to discriminate by charging women more and denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, to wiping out tax breaks for small businesses and killing reforms that could lower premiums.

In a report released Monday, Georgia Public Interest Research Group argued that repealing the Affordable Care Act and others would open the door for insurance companies to continue practices such as rescission, in which insurance companies abruptly drop coverage for the sick based on technical mistakes.

Women are often charged higher premiums than men, the report states. A study by the National Women's Law Center found a 40-year-old nonsmoking woman in Georgia was charged up to 47 percent more than a male smoker of the same age, the report says.

Other findings in the report:

- Allowing people to be denied coverage based on pre-existing conditions could affect more than 1.8 million people in Georgia under the age of 65.

- Not allowing children to remain on their parents' coverage until age 26 could affect 43,500 people in Georgia.

- More than 120,000 small businesses in Georgia could qualify for a tax credit in this year's filing of up to 35 percent of the cost of health coverage if the law is not overturned.

"I don't think a lot of people knew about that," said Stephanie Ali, the program associate for Georgia PIRG. That has been one of the problems that supporters of reform have faced as they have been mainly on the defensive, she said.

"A lot of the work we've had to do is just clear up things that have not been true whatsoever," Ali said, citing so-called death panels. "So much of it has been defending against false statements that we really haven't been clear about what this will do."

Groups that support repeal, such as the Heritage Foundation, argue that reform could harm access for seniors because of Medicare cuts and raise costs for employers with new mandates. Many of the Medicare cuts, though, are lower subsidies to Medicare Advantage plans that cost the government $1,000 more per patient than traditional Medicare patients, the report states, adding that other studies show the reforms could lead to a reduction of $3,000 per employee for employers.

Last week, the House voted to proceed on a repeal of health reform. In a column on his Web site, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said he would like to see in its place a Republican alternative that would still provide access to those with pre-existing conditions but enact medical liability reform, allow the purchase of health insurance across state lines and expand Health Savings Accounts.

Should the repeal pass the House, the Democratic-controlled U.S. Senate appears unlikely to go along and President Obama would probably veto a repeal of his signature legislation.

That's why Ali refers to the repeal as "political maneuvering."

"It doesn't seem likely to pass," she said, "and even if it did, it would only be harmful for people here in Georgia."

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/11/11 - 04:33 am
Obamacare's high risk

Obamacare's high risk insurance pool:

"Medicare program's chief actuary predicted that 375,000 people would sign up for the pool plans by the end of the year. Early last month, the Health and Human Services Department reported that just 8,000 people had enrolled."

Republicans had ideas for health care. Democrats never allowed debate on them. In fact, Democrats never knew what was in the bill anyhow. Who wrote that bill? Not Congress.

Do you know who?

Republicans are not heartless faces who want to deep six health care. They have legit ideas on things to do. One easy way is across state line health insurance company competition, like your auto insurance is.

I laugh when I hear Dem pols being interviewed and saying "competition is needed in health insurance."

Thing is, they want tax payer funded govt competition instead of removing the roadblocks they installed against insurance companies competiting across state lines.

Taking hundreds of billions from state medicare payments to fund this is a slight of hand that hasn't gone undetected. No wonder 27 states are suing.

carcraft
carcraft 01/11/11 - 06:35 am
Obama care is going to close

Obama care is going to close private health insurance, and that is exactly what the left is striving for. Of course the left is going to say bad things about repealing Obama care, just as the right did about passing it. However this time the liberal media will support the contentions on the fringe left!

Runner46
Runner46 01/11/11 - 07:48 am
A big, "NO!" to Obama Care.

A big, "NO!" to Obama Care. It is one big mess! Repeal it and establish a VOLUNTARY health care pool that does not consider pre-existing conditions. Citizens should have NEVER been FORCED to pay for health care under the federal regulation of interstate commerce clause. If we don't want to participate in interstate commerce, we should not be required to do so. It was a scam anyway. Insurance rates are going up!

maninthepi
maninthepi 01/11/11 - 08:10 am
one thing i want to know is

one thing i want to know is why some grown up and supposed to be
working since about 18 or 19 still be on the parents insurance policy
until 26 sounds like a welfare non producer to me. just one problem i have
with it. also nancy pelosi making that real famous remark we have
to pass it so we can read it and see what"s in it. why don't they write bills with no more than a dozen or so pages instead of thousands.

workedforit
workedforit 01/11/11 - 09:39 am
I don't know about killing

I don't know about killing jobs, but it is killing my budget, my part that I pay doubled effective 1-1-11. Now I know how we will pay for this stupid pork laden bill.

dani
dani 01/11/11 - 10:05 am
So is it "could" or would?

So is it "could" or would? Could is used a lot in the article. Anything could happen - but will it?

Jane18
Jane18 01/11/11 - 11:50 am
Coverage for me on my

Coverage for me on my husband's insurance(from his job) is twice as much for me than his. I had to wait a year three years ago to have a polyp removed from my right nasal passage because they called it a pre-existing condition. That was with Blue Cross/Bue Shield of Georgia. Now his company is with Humana, we're still paying twice as much for me. I had back surgery on Sept.13th, for a pinched nerve. They would not pay for a fusion, so possibly because of that, I am back in the same condition as I was before the surgery. The pain, affecting my right hip,thigh, knee, and shin is almost unbearable at times, especially at night. The few times I ever dealt with insurance companies before three years ago always did what insurance companies are supposed to do, take care of their members. Now it's REALLY all about the money$$. By the way, I am in the process of getting a different doctor too! I still do not want any part of obamacare, no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/11/11 - 12:02 pm
The whole health care issue

The whole health care issue is insane. To hear arguments about keeping insurance companies afloat after what they have been doing to us for years is like saying let's keep madoff out of jail to help the economy! I like the idea of the health care act but it need lots of changes. To repeal it completely and not replace it immediately with something else is like quitting a job with having one lined up then telling all your creditors I'll find a way to pay you!

Doctors are not innocent sheep in all of this either, nor drug companies and pharmacies. They are also the reason why we pay the high cost of health care. This act is going to fix the whole system, but when and where will it start if it is repealed?

NewHere
NewHere 01/11/11 - 04:50 pm
The only ideas that

The only ideas that republican had was to say no. Btw been able to provide insurance for my 23 years old daughter is a great benefit, she is working full time, but does not have insurance as a benefit! I am sure I am not alone on taking advantage of this benefit.

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/11/11 - 09:23 pm
"This act is going to fix the

"This act is going to fix the whole system, but when and where will it start if it is repealed?"

Hearing "fix" and "whole system" scare me. Reminds me of a Reagan quip,

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/11/11 - 09:42 pm
NewHere, that refried

NewHere, that refried liberal mantra is way past ripeness and well into rotten stage.

It's so easy to refute your worn out socialist catch phrases. Didn't the DNC put that in a disclaimer?

The six Republican ideas already in the health-care reform bill

The Conservative Case for Reform (by Bobby Jindal)

NewHere
NewHere 01/11/11 - 09:55 pm
To usapatriot let me start by

To usapatriot let me start by saying that I am not a socialist, I took like to keep my money and not give it to the government. In may case I would said that I have not seen the increase on insurance premiums that everybody is talking about. I am a fiscal conservative but a social liberal that realized that the republican party was not representing me. It is hard for me to believe how quickly people are willing to asign label when they have no knowledge of the person that they are assigning that label ti.

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/14/11 - 02:17 am
well, Newhere, you state what

well, Newhere, you state what you are, but run from your statement after I gave you references to refute it.

"The only ideas that republican had was to say no."

Can you at least acknowledge that you were wrong?