Health Care

More | | | Editor

Pollen season to hit Augusta area this week

Folks who suffer from allergies can thank the cold weather for a longer than usual reprieve from pollen season.

But that will change this week.

"It's been cold for so long that the plants are just now starting to wake up," said Milledge Peterson, the owner of Bedford Greenhouses on Oleander Road.

Trees usually slow growth during winter, but an extended cold spell has kept them dormant longer than usual. Longer daylight hours and warm temperatures, however, have the sap flowing again, Peterson said.

Peterson has noticed heavy yellow pine pollen making its first spring appearances and expects pollen season to kick into high gear this week. Trees usually herald the allergy season, followed by the finer grass pollens. The grass pollens irritate more people because they're more easily inhaled, Peterson said.

About 25 percent to 35 percent of the population has some kind of allergic reaction, said Dr. Stanley Fineman, an allergist with the Atlanta Allergy & Asthma Clinic.

The severity of the season is gauged by counting the number of pollen molecules in a cubic meter of air, called the pollen count. Augusta's daily pollen count can be found on weather.com.

Fineman suggests that folks with hay fever stay indoors on days with high pollen counts.

Pam Knox, the assistant state climatologist, said that in spite of the delayed allergy season, the effects are already being felt.

"Even my cat is sneezing," Knox said. "I don't have bad allergies, but I think this time of year everybody ... feels some effects."

Morris News Service contributed to this story.

Help with allergies

To lessen the effects of allergies:

- Shower or bathe before bed to remove the pollen and other allergens from your skin and hair.

- Stay indoors as much as possible on dry, windy days.

- Use the air conditioner to stay cool inside your house and car, and keep the windows and doors shut.

- Avoid touching your eyes and nose while outside.

- Keep garden soil moist.

Sources: Familydoctor.org; American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/29/10 - 03:53 am
Hey Zeno, did you contribute

Hey Zeno, did you contribute to this article?

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 03/29/10 - 04:49 am
No but I resemble those

No but I resemble those remarks....staying indoors hurts my income...working outdoors makes me sick...not working doesn't pay the bills...oh me oh my..what to do?...now where's that darn rain?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/29/10 - 06:04 am
Pollen season hit more than a

Pollen season hit more than a week ago, as attested to by those with allergies.

sojourner
sojourner 03/29/10 - 07:47 am
My eyes, nose and throat say

My eyes, nose and throat say this story is a week late and a dollar short.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 03/29/10 - 08:25 am
I tried to read this article,

I tried to read this article, but my eyes were too watery, my nose ran too much, and my throat was too scratchy.

Dudeness
Dudeness 03/29/10 - 08:26 am
My allergies kicked in early

My allergies kicked in early yesterday.

Runner46
Runner46 04/04/10 - 08:08 am
I do a water syringe flush to

I do a water syringe flush to get this stuff out of my nasal cavities. It seems to work well, along with the showering that the article suggests. Removing shoes at the door, changing the furnace/AC filter, and a more frequent vacuuming help to keep the pollen count down indoors.

soldout
soldout 04/09/10 - 08:11 pm
The out-gasing from the small

The out-gasing from the small earthquake has added some spores and other toxics to the pollen making it worst than before. The folks doing NAET can fix you in about 15 minutes and in 24 hours you are immune to the pollen even with the other toxic material it has in it this year. That small earthquake caused some wells to go dry and you can hear the gas coming up out of the ground at the top of some of the wells that went dry or nearly dry due to rocks shifting. Some of them now put out warmer water.